• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporean pmet with phd in physics lost her job and had a mental breakdown

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]SINGAPOREAN PMET WITH PHD IN PHYSICS LOST HER JOB AND HAD A MENTAL BREAKDOWN[/h]
<!-- /.block --> <style>.node-article .field-name-link-line-above-tags{float: right;}.node-article .field-name-ad-box-in-article {float: left;margin: 15px 15px 10px 0;}.node-article .field-tags{clear: both;}</style> Post date:
27 Oct 2014 - 1:14pm

<ins id="aswift_0_expand" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: inline-table; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><ins id="aswift_0_anchor" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><iframe name="aswift_0" width="336" height="280" id="aswift_0" frameBorder="0" marginWidth="0" marginHeight="0" scrolling="no" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowfullscreen="true" style="left: 0px; top: 0px; position: absolute;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe></ins></ins>

Banner_Transitioning_2.gif

Dear Gilbert,
I had a mental breakdown last year and was admitted to IMH.

I was discharged from IMH in November last year.

I lost my job as a senior engineer in a semiconductor company.

After that I had been looking for a job.

I got one job in ABC company but I only stayed for one week as I was uncomfortable with the workplace.

I continued my job search and landed another job in May as a patent executive but I only stayed for two months as I could not cope with the work.
Then I started a small business with my elder sister selling clothing for children but the business cannot sustain me for a full time income and I am losing interest in the business.

So now I am back to job hunting again.

I have a PhD in Physics.
I can hardly find a job that matches my background.
I am open to Bachelor degree positions but even that has limited options.

<ins id="aswift_1_expand" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: inline-table; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><ins id="aswift_1_anchor" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><iframe name="aswift_1" width="336" height="280" id="aswift_1" frameBorder="0" marginWidth="0" marginHeight="0" scrolling="no" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowfullscreen="true" style="left: 0px; top: 0px; position: absolute;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe></ins></ins>

I left my last long term job as a senior engineer close to one year ago.

My sister said that I have an attitude problem.

Maybe she is right. But after my mental breakdown I feel I could barely integrate back into the work place and society in general.
Everyday and everything feels bleak. I feel lost, directionless, and hopeless.
Please help me.

Thanks and regards,
Amy

Gilbert Goh's note: We have referred the writer to our counselling services.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
If she has a PhD in Physics, she should spend her time researching cold fusion.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Many physics Ph.D. are in a more mundane area like surface science. Only elite Ph.D. students do theoretical physics and cutting edge stuff like fusion which can only be done in very select universities with gigantic govt grants and special industrial sponsorship

I personally know of many jobless Ph.Ds. Better to learn how to cook chicken rice and make a living as a hawker.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in our era, you have to be versatile enough to do both blue and white collar jobs. that's how the economy is transforming, skill-based rather than just office cushy job. i learnt the hard way...:o

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The PHD in sinkieland is quite different from first world country.

yes, in first world country, they will be doing stuffs in quantum physic..

In sinkieland, they look for a job..pathetic right????

Sinkieland does not have what it takes to be truly first world, it is all due to the PAP... sinkies , your ass pain or not.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A real PHD in physics should be doing stuffs like this:

[video=youtube;0GS2rxROcPo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GS2rxROcPo[/video]

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the moral of the story is to study what is relevant in the society, sinkie society is all about money, so the more you have to study finance related courses and get hired in a bank for a bright future. her PhD in physics is deemed too isolated that no ordinary employer knows what to do with her qualification. sinkieland is no angmo country where you can pursue your own interest.a suggestion to her will be tutoring. i see many of my tutor friends reaping in good money.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the moral of the story is to study what is relevant in the society, sinkie society is all about money, so the more you have to study finance related courses and get hired in a bank for a bright future. her PhD in physics is deemed too isolated that no ordinary employer knows what to do with her qualification. sinkieland is no angmo country where you can pursue your own interest.a suggestion to her will be tutoring. i see many of my tutor friends reaping in good money.

I agree in Australia u can see musicians and artists everywhere on the streets.....they can make a living working a minimum wage job and still ply their art on the streets.in Singapore its either u do something practical or u die.

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
that research had been concluded ... they could not find any diseases in the soil

In the end, they find it is the father who has disease in the head..

someone who does not know how to set exemplary standards knowing fully well
when u are a Defence Minister giving preferential treatment to your own son for a 12 year military deferment will earn you many rebukes.