• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

"I Rather Be Feared Than Be Loved"

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bullshitter, Psycho, Despot

People's description of LKY:

1. TracyTan866 - Unwise, Arrogant, Foolish
2. Laksaboy and Tunku- Unscrupulous, Lonely
3. po2wq- Mad, Tyrant
4. Yellowarse and Dr Poh- Political pimp
5. Tun Tan Siew Sin and Yellowarse - Self serving, disruptive and uncooperative
6. William safire and Yellowarse - Little Hitler
7. Agoraphobic- Very capable and Successful
8. Selkirk, British Officials and Laksaboy - Reckless, Power Crazy, Bully, Unreasonable
9. Mahathir and Yellowarse - Big Frog in a small pond, Ambitious, Not satisfied
10. Tunku and Yellowarse - Actor
11. Frenchbriefs - Man ahead of his time
12. Frenchbriefs- Bullshitter, Psycho, Despot

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"“Even from my sick bed, even if you are going to lower me into the grave and I feel something is going wrong, I will get up.”

Even long after you were buried 6-ft underground, we will dig you out and drag you to court if we find something wrong you did.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
he maybe a intellectual and people like to listen to his bullshyt but at the end of the day hes just a psycho despot.they are probably glad that nutjob is not ruling their country be it malaysia,britain or USA.show me a person who wants LKY to be the leader of their country and i will show u a idiot and a fool.

Good points..

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
he maybe a intellectual and people like to listen to his bullshyt but at the end of the day hes just a psycho despot.they are probably glad that nutjob is not ruling their country be it malaysia,britain or USA.show me a person who wants LKY to be the leader of their country and i will show u a idiot and a fool.

Now we hve 60% of Idiots and Fools supporting this Psycho Despot's Son, hve the 60% not noe abt
Genetic Traits.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And thats the saddest part of all. He did have some good achievements but to have governed by using fear he negated much of what he did in the eyes of many people.

Do you think LKY got his way with Singaporeans because he didn't tell the whole truth and he manipulated the mass media to twist and turn information to his advantage? Do you think LKY has done many wrongs against singaporeans?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even long after you were buried 6-ft underground, we will dig you out and drag you to court if we find something wrong you did.

Good plan. We must look at the skeletons in pap's cupboard and bring the wrong doers to the Court of Public Opinion

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually the quote is from Machiavelli's The Prince, Any politician worth its salt should read it. Its also been attributed to the Rothchilds from using the same tactics. LKY just learned enough to know and use it. I don't think many Singaporean actually know or have read this book. The point is, once you know where its from you can easily see through the tactics employed.

http://sebastianmarshall.com/why-machiavelli-thinks-its-better-to-be-feared-than-loved

Why Machiavelli Thinks It's Better To Be Feared Than Loved
3 years ago 9 replies
I picked up 32 audiobooks recently including an audio copy of Machiavelli's The Prince.

It's always intrigued me as a book - it's really not so hardcore, given its reputation. It's a fairly straightforward, blunt book on political science, governance, and military science. The mystique and aura around it are primarily from people who haven't read it.

The most famous quote from the book, of course, is "Better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both."

But why?

I missed it the first couple times I read the book. This time I picked up on Machiavelli's point.

He says love is internally based. It's a feeling you largely choose to feel, that you can large turn on and off easily. Love is fickle. It comes, it goes.

Fear is much more predictable and largely externally based. Lovers can fall out easily on a fast downward spiral whim; fear does not wear off if your base character stays the same.

But note the "if you can not be both." The highest way is to be held in love, esteem, and respect during daily life, with something in the back of a person's mind that if they do wrong by you, you'll be a source of hell and misery. That keeps wanton destruction and arbitrary betrayals in check.

I think love is stronger than fear. A commander loved by his soldiers will defeat a commander feared by his soldiers in almost all battles... but the feared commander is less subject to arbitrary chance. So, they both have value. 95% love, 5% fear is probably the best mix. But the 5% needs to be you unleashing the forces of hell with cold precision if you're turned against.

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
"If you do not fear me, I am nothing"; very descriptive of a power-hungry
person who plays no second-fiddle to anyone.

Nevertheless, bastards are needed to run a developing country; iron-fisted.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chapter XVII of "the Prince": Whether it is Better to be Feared or Loved

And here comes in the question whether it is better to be loved rather than feared, or feared rather than loved. It might perhaps be answered that we should wish to be both; but since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. For of men it may generally be affirmed, that they are thankless, fickle, false, studious to avoid danger, greedy of gain, devoted to you while you are able to confer benefits upon them, and ready, as I said before, while danger is distant, to shed their blood, and sacrifice their property, their lives, and their children for you; but in the hour of need they turn against you. The Prince, therefore, who without otherwise securing himself builds wholly on their professions is undone. For the friendships which we buy with a price, and do not gain by greatness and nobility of character, though they be fairly earned are not made good, but fail us when we have occasion to use them.

Moreover, men are less careful how they offend him who makes himself loved than him who makes himself feared. For love is held by the tie of obligation, which, because men are a sorry breed, is broken on every whisper of private interest; but fear is bound by the apprehension of punishment which never relaxes its grasp.

Nevertheless a Prince should inspire fear in such a fashion that if he do not win love he may escape hate. For a man may very well be feared and yet not hated, and this will be the case so long as he does not meddle with the property or with the women of his citizens and subjects.And if constrained to put any to death, he should do so only when there is manifest cause or reasonable justification. But, above all, he must abstain from the property of others. For men will sooner forget the death of their father than the loss of their patrimony. Moreover, pretexts for confiscation are never to seek, and he who has once begun to live by rapine always finds reasons for taking what is not his; whereas reasons for shedding blood are fewer, and sooner exhausted.

Returning to the question of being loved or feared, I sum up by saying, that since his being loved depends upon his subjects, while his being feared depends upon himself, a wise Prince should build on what is his own, and not on what rests with others. Only, as I have said, he must do his utmost to escape hatred.

Last edited:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Noted...Power hungry, Bastard, Iron-fisted

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

3. po2wq- Mad, Tyrant
8. Selkirk, British Officials and Laksaboy - Reckless, Power Crazy, Bully, Unreasonable
13. Melzp- Power hungry, Bastard, Iron-fisted

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually the quote is from Machiavelli's The Prince, Any politician worth its salt should read it. Its also been attributed to the Rothchilds from using the same tactics. LKY just learned enough to know and use it. I don't think many Singaporean actually know or have read this book. The point is, once you know where its from you can easily see through the tactics employed.

http://sebastianmarshall.com/why-machiavelli-thinks-its-better-to-be-feared-than-loved

Thanks for the enlightenment

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chapter XVII of "the Prince": Whether it is Better to be Feared or Loved

And here comes in the question whether it is better to be loved rather than feared, or feared rather than loved. It might perhaps be answered that we should wish to be both; but since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. For of men it may generally be affirmed, that they are thankless, fickle, false, studious to avoid danger, greedy of gain, devoted to you while you are able to confer benefits upon them, and ready, as I said before, while danger is distant, to shed their blood, and sacrifice their property, their lives, and their children for you; but in the hour of need they turn against you. The Prince, therefore, who without otherwise securing himself builds wholly on their professions is undone. For the friendships which we buy with a price, and do not gain by greatness and nobility of character, though they be fairly earned are not made good, but fail us when we have occasion to use them.

Moreover, men are less careful how they offend him who makes himself loved than him who makes himself feared. For love is held by the tie of obligation, which, because men are a sorry breed, is broken on every whisper of private interest; but fear is bound by the apprehension of punishment which never relaxes its grasp.

Nevertheless a Prince should inspire fear in such a fashion that if he do not win love he may escape hate. For a man may very well be feared and yet not hated, and this will be the case so long as he does not meddle with the property or with the women of his citizens and subjects.And if constrained to put any to death, he should do so only when there is manifest cause or reasonable justification. But, above all, he must abstain from the property of others. For men will sooner forget the death of their father than the loss of their patrimony. Moreover, pretexts for confiscation are never to seek, and he who has once begun to live by rapine always finds reasons for taking what is not his; whereas reasons for shedding blood are fewer, and sooner exhausted.

Returning to the question of being loved or feared, I sum up by saying, that since his being loved depends upon his subjects, while his being feared depends upon himself, a wise Prince should build on what is his own, and not on what rests with others. Only, as I have said, he must do his utmost to escape hatred.

Highly debatable. But obviously LKY agreed with the arguments that it is better to be feared. if he is still not senile, he probably knows how wrong he is as he is npot feared now and, in many eyes, he has been reduced to nothing

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And in 2014: wheelchair-bound. :cool:

3. po2wq- Mad, Tyrant
13. Melzp- Power hungry, Bastard, Iron-fisted
14. Laksaboy - Wheelchair bound

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Careful, some elaboration is needed here.

Capable as a politician, not in other aspects. Nation building and other facets need to be attributed to the thousands of workers, architects, engineers, businessmen, civil workers, technicians and labourers who built the country. Not ONE man.

Successful, as claimed by those who idolize him. There are people who see him as a failed human being. It is a matter of choice of view.

Cheers!

Very Capable and Successful