• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SAF veteran Col John Morrice Dies.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was in SAFTI when he was commandant. He was usually stone drunk in the officers' mess by 8 pm.

SAFTI functioned efficiently during his reign because of the ruthlessness of his deputy LTC Edward Chan.

Is it LTC Edward Yong (later COL, as Commandant of SAFTI)?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He was SAFTI commandant when I was in OCS. His name sounds like an ang mo one but he looked like an Indian to me.

There was an incident that always puzzled me: A cadet couldn't take the training and attempted suicide, which is a court-martial offense I believed. But the rich man father of the cadet came to see JM, and the cadet was just quietly dropped from the OCS course.

Our OCS training was 10 and a half month. Much of the time were wasted polishing the boots and ironing the uniform, and most of the officers training us were either NSF like us who were just one year our senior, who hadn't really been properly trained or mature enough to train us.

In fact, I have more respect for my platoon sgt and company sgt, who are old bird professional soldiers who knew how to carry themselves like a man.

Before commissioned as a 2LT, we had a former dinner in the camp with all wearing number 2 and given a cigar to smoke after dinner. We also had a 10-course dinner at the Istana where we could bring our parent to attend.

And then, a D&D in a hotel where we have to bring our partner. Some resorted to bringing their sister as they couldn't get any girl to join them.

"formal" vs "former" (previous or ex)
formal dinner also known as "dining in"

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
He is just another sinkie loser like all of you here. What is the big deal?

The big deal is that he was one of the original generation of senior officers. He is up there with people like Winston Choo, Colin Theseira, etc. After people like him the PAP infiltrated the SAF and started planting their shit for brains scholar generals. If u know even the smallest thing about war, you will know that one of his type of old timers professional is worth 10 of the PAP assigned paper generals. the paper generals are in the SAF to mark time before they are posted to become MPs or some bureaucrat in some GLC. Therefore in the event of war, the chances of winning is exponentially reduced if you have a SAF scholar running the army versus one of these old timers. The armies of other ASEAN countries think these paper generals are jokes, but they respect people like John Morrice.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The big deal is that he was one of the original generation of senior officers. He is up there with people like Winston Choo, Colin Theseira, etc. After people like him the PAP infiltrated the SAF and started planting their shit for brains scholar generals. If u know even the smallest thing about war, you will know that one of his type of old timers professional is worth 10 of the PAP assigned paper generals. the paper generals are in the SAF to mark time before they are posted to become MPs or some bureaucrat in some GLC. Therefore in the event of war, the chances of winning is exponentially reduced if you have a SAF scholar running the army versus one of these old timers. The armies of other ASEAN countries think these paper generals are jokes, but they respect people like John Morrice.

oh u mean there was a time when PAP didnt control everything including SAF?and why they respect john morrice?just because hes ang moh?i mean saf may be manned by paper generals but they are all sinkies.....are u imply sinkies suck at soldiering?

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, simply because he was a LTA.
As a WO1, he was in power.

Tiger Hong like a few other senior NCOs was commissioned as a Captain. Edward Yong was never CO SAFTI. He was DDMP when a LTC and when promoted to Col was 1 SIB PDF brigade commander. He is related to LG Winston Choo by marriage and was in ACS before they both went to FMC at Malacca when they joined the then SIR.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Edward Yong was never CO SAFTI. He was DDMP when a LTC and when promoted to Col was 1 SIB PDF brigade commander. He is related to LG Winston Choo by marriage and was in ACS before they both went to FMC at Malacca when they joined the then SIR.

Edward Yong was Commandant SAFTI before John Morrice.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tiger Hong was commissioned as a LTA, not CPT. In SAFTI, he was S4 OCS in 1979. I know because he was often the DOO when I was on guard duty at SAFTI.

Tiger Hong like a few other senior NCOs was commissioned as a Captain. Edward Yong was never CO SAFTI. He was DDMP when a LTC and when promoted to Col was 1 SIB PDF brigade commander. He is related to LG Winston Choo by marriage and was in ACS before they both went to FMC at Malacca when they joined the then SIR.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thank you.
I thought he was commissioned as a LTA, then subsequently promoted to CPT.
When I was at SAFTI, there was a COL Edward Yong, as Commandant of SAFTI.
I do know that he was related to LG Winston Choo by marriage.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you.
I thought he was commissioned as a LTA, then subsequently promoted to CPT.
When I was at SAFTI, there was a COL Edward Yong, as Commandant of SAFTI.
I do know that he was related to LG Winston Choo by marriage.

i dun understand why would any senior NCO take up lowly commission LTA/CPT rank when at WO, epecially appointment holders, earn more than OC and command more respect than staff officers? i remember there an old cpt in SOA at gedong being ignore by other officers but treated with respect by old regulars. Only after ask lao cik then found out he commisioned from 1WO. that time he at about 50yo liao, no wonder other officers thought he hentakaki.

i mount guard at 40 kiat hong camp, saw a old 1WO fark a bunch of 2LTs who bak lor lor at main gate after they had their dinner at the coffeeshop across the main gate. Took down the 2LTs particulars and told them in the face he will make them serve extras. guard com told us the 1WO an appt holder in brigade while the 2LTs are 40 PC who waiting for the next batch of mono intake. the WO at the main gate was to check on us as we were "T-Loan" from gedong as 40 pengkia just ORDed.

Last edited:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Commissioning selected senior NCOs was a practice we inherited from the British who did it for several reasons:
  • age - many of the S/NCOs were no longer of an age whereby they could run around the parade square and bark at young recruits
  • institutional knowledge - most of them would have (as RSMs or RQMSs) a wealth of knowledge and experience to run logistics trains from a higher level, i.e. as S4s or QMs
  • acknowledgement of service rendered - being an officer in the British army was not just a promotion; in many cases, it was a rise in one's station and social class.

i dun understand why would any senior NCO take up lowly commission LTA/CPT rank when at WO, epecially appointment holders, earn more than OC and command more respect than staff officers? i remember there an old cpt in SOA at gedong being ignore by other officers but treated with respect by old regulars. Only after ask lao cik then found out he commisioned from 1WO. that time he at about 50yo liao, no wonder other officers thought he hentakaki.

i mount guard at 40 kiat hong camp, saw a old 1WO fark a bunch of 2LTs who bak lor lor at main gate after they had their dinner at the coffeeshop across the main gate. Took down the 2LTs particulars and told them in the face he will make them serve extras. guard com told us the 1WO an appt holder in brigade while the 2LTs are 40 PC who waiting for the next batch of mono intake. the WO at the main gate was to check on us as we were "T-Loan" from gedong as 40 pengkia just ORDed.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Commissioning selected senior NCOs was a practice we inherited from the British who did it for several reasons:
  • age - many of the S/NCOs were no longer of an age whereby they could run around the parade square and bark at young recruits
  • institutional knowledge - most of them would have (as RSMs or RQMSs) a wealth of knowledge and experience to run logistics trains from a higher level, i.e. as S4s or QMs
  • acknowledgement of service rendered - being an officer in the British army was not just a promotion; in many cases, it was a rise in one's station and social class.

I agree.
Regardless of the so called "power" or respect as a senior WO1 at that time (now there is MWO, SWO, CWO), I believe that as a commissioned officer (and for those senior WO1), it is considered to be a promotion, and moving up the so called "social class" (upward mobility, in other words).
May be, it is perception, but I rather be a CPT than a WO1 for life, moving to another phase in life.
Enjoy your day.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

1. S/NCOs, specially WOs grade, retirement age extended to 55yo and i never see WO run at parade square before, only see them punish troopers and officers run around parade square with rifle in high port for mistakes during parade drills.

2. some CSMs i know cannot even fill up the forms to indent meals for company for the months, indent tonner for field excerise, even simple T-loan procedure also dunno.

3. this is singapore, there only 2 social class, pap elites and digits.

no need to be commission to be a commander, that why tekong Delta company(at least in the past, now dunno) was command by WOs only. no need education to know how to fight, so why restrict this type of officers with plenty of field experience to Logistics. Let the pen pushers do logistics, experienced commanders should lead troops on the field.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Winston Choo is PAP chief dog! He's a fucking cheapskate womanizer and always looking for free drinks and that's is why he's running around with another PAP dog and con-artist Denis Foo.

Fuck Winston Choo and fuck con-artist Denis Foo deep deep!

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Your examples in points 1 and 2 would not have been offered commissions.

On point 3, I was referring to the British, not Singapore. That said, the SAF had a very British military culture for a long time.

1. S/NCOs, specially WOs grade, retirement age extended to 55yo and i never see WO run at parade square before, only see them punish troopers and officers run around parade square with rifle in high port for mistakes during parade drills.

2. some CSMs i know cannot even fill up the forms to indent meals for company for the months, indent tonner for field excerise, even simple T-loan procedure also dunno.

3. this is singapore, there only 2 social class, pap elites and digits.

no need to be commission to be a commander, that why tekong Delta company(at least in the past, now dunno) was command by WOs only. no need education to know how to fight, so why restrict this type of officers with plenty of field experience to Logistics. Let the pen pushers do logistics, experienced commanders should lead troops on the field.