• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SAF veteran Col John Morrice Dies.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Not my fav guy in the world, but a real professional 2nd generation soldier. Never got higher than Colonel rank due to lack of paper qualifications. But in my eyes, still worth 10 of these shit SAF scholar generals any day.

AS A colonel, Mr John Morrice had 300,000 men under his command. But there was one person whom he reported to, and that was his wife, Stella.

This was how Mr Andrew Morrice, 47, a wholesaler of motorcycle parts, described his parents' marriage. The elder Mr Morrice, 79, died of a heart attack on Thursday night.

"If we needed something, we would go to our mother. Then, she would go tell him to do it and he would," said his son.

Mr John Morrice was one of the pioneers of the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF), joining in 1957 as a regular and retiring 26 years later in 1983 as a colonel.

He was the first Officer Commanding of the first Officer Cadet Company, and headed the 2nd Singapore Infantry Brigade and the SAF Training Institute, among other appointments.

He was also on the front lines during Konfrontasi, conducting patrols during the troubled period from 1963 to 1966, when Indonesia opposed the newly formed Malaysia, which Singapore was then a part of.

Lieutenant-Colonel Swee Boon Chai, who was in Mr John Morrice's first batch of officer cadets in 1966, said his former officer was an "efficient and consistent" man. "He would write his reports daily and filed them conscientiously at the end of training sessions," said the 68-year-old retiree.

Mr John Morrice also served as president of the SAF Veterans League for more than 10 years, organising overseas tours and golf competitions.

He stepped down last year. His dedication and commitment to the army drew praise from Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen: "He is a shining example of a devoted soldier who served his country to the best of his abilities and for as long as he could."

After retirement, he worked for 14 years at Singapore Technologies, covering the Middle East, where he spent seven years when he was in the army.

Growing up, Mr Andrew Morrice remembers his dad as a man who was always ready with a joke or advice.

The family would spend Saturdays at a relative's house before going to church on Sundays, followed by a barbecue at the beach.

"He is a lot closer to my children than he was to me, growing up, though we became closer later. Sometimes, he would act like a kid with them, fighting over the remote," said Mr Andrew Morrice.

Mr John Morrice's wake is at St Teresa's church, and he will be cremated at Mandai Hall 2 at 11.15am on Monda
- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/saf-pioneer-79-dies-heart-attack#sthash.yI7DxS1m.dpuf

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Was in SAFTI when he was commandant. He was usually stone drunk in the officers' mess by 8 pm.

SAFTI functioned efficiently during his reign because of the ruthlessness of his deputy LTC Edward Chan.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Was in SAFTI when he was commandant. He was usually stone drunk in the officers' mess by 8 pm.

SAFTI functioned efficiently during his reign because of the ruthlessness of his deputy LTC Edward Chan.

He was the real ruthless one. Eddie Chan just takes orders from him. Anytime, he can tell Chan to ease up a little. But he was the most siao on asshole I knew. But basically a brainless automaton taking orders from MINDEF. But I still take him over any of these fucked SAF scholar generals. In a war, he will get less men killed than these paper generals.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
He was the real ruthless one. Eddie Chan just takes orders from him. Anytime, he can tell Chan to ease up a little. But he was the most siao on asshole I knew. But basically a brainless automaton taking orders from MINDEF. But I still take him over any of these fucked SAF scholar generals. In a war, he will get less men killed than these paper generals.

I did more extra duties as a 2LT under Edward Chan than I did as a Cadet in OCS. Edward Chan had a simple formula... he went after the OIC for any disciplinary issues he found with the rank-and-file under his charge.

For example if one of my men was caught with long hair, dirty boots etc during guard mounting, I'd be the one to face the music the next day.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I did more extra duties as a 2LT under Edward Chan than I did as a Cadet in OCS. Edward Chan had a simple formula... he went after the OIC for any disciplinary issues he found with the rank-and-file under his charge.

For example if one of my men was caught with long hair, dirty boots etc during guard mounting, I'd be the one to face the music the next day.

The one who gives the most duties to officers in SAFTI is Tiger Hong, not Eddie Chan. Tiger don't fuck care your rank on the parade ground. Heard he make one Capt or Major do laps on the parade ground in from of the whole assembly for giving the wrong parade order.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The one who gives the most duties to officers in SAFTI is Tiger Hong, not Eddie Chan. Tiger don't fuck care your rank on the parade ground. Heard he make one Capt or Major do laps on the parade ground in from of the whole assembly for giving the wrong parade order.

By the time I got to SAFTI, Tiger Hong was an officer himself and was effectively neutered.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who gives a fuck?in charge of 300,000 men of the shittiest army in the world.

can he challenge LKY or LHL?can he lead a 100,000 man march against PAP?

How has he contributed to my life in any way?

Let me guess after he left the army he went and open a store selling pasta and teriyaki bentos?or driving taxis?or he got a cushy job as CEO in one of them glcs?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
however there is one thing that will justify this man in my eyes.....did he eat the same fucking food as us at the cookhouse or did he eat salmon bruchetta and cream of pheasant specially poached from buckingham palace specially prepared for generals?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
however there is one thing that will justify this man in my eyes.....did he eat the same fucking food as us at the cookhouse or did he eat salmon bruchetta and cream of pheasant specially poached from buckingham palace specially prepared for generals?

He ate at the cookhouse and the officers' mess.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He ate at the cookhouse and the officers' mess.

whitehorse cookhouse?shit i remember even at tekong cookhouse they had this special section for officers only....they sure as hell isnt eating that quality crap they serve to the lan jiao peng.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
whitehorse cookhouse?

Nope the same one that the rest of us went to. The only difference was that the table was covered with a tablecloth and officers were served by the cook NCOs. They didn't have to line up with trays.

The food came from the same swill though.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
whitehorse cookhouse?shit i remember even at tekong cookhouse they had this special section for officers only....they sure as hell isnt eating that quality crap they serve to the lan jiao peng.

There is no whitehorse cookhouse at SAFTI.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Nope the same one that the rest of us went to. The only difference was that the table was covered with a tablecloth and officers were served by the cook NCOs. They didn't have to line up with trays.

Don't forget the plastic flower on the tablecloth. I thought the cook IC gave that a nice touch. LOL. But its not the same food. Somethings special made for them.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i doubt it....i remember tekong cookhouse the officer section always had goodies in it,they sure as hell aint eating that goopy muck they call a gravy and that lump of dissolved vegetables and that pathetic little boiled chicken drumstick that couldnt even feed a starving dog.

fuck this NS shit!!!!!50,000 of us cramped in that stupid cookhouse queuing up for that stupid crap!!!!!

i bet the volunteer VC corp cookhouse for foreigners is serving tenderloin steak everyday and sipping chardonnay and munching on artisan cheese appetisers.

Last edited:

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

Was Edward Chan one time CEO of 7 SIR ? Yes ruthless SOB but you'd be better off in war under him than our scholar generals. He didn't come to a happy end though if I recall.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Was Edward Chan one time CEO of 7 SIR ? Yes ruthless SOB but you'd be better off in war under him than our scholar generals. He didn't come to a happy end though if I recall.

Yes he was killed in a collision with a cement mixer. :biggrin: