• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How attack on Canadian parliament unfolded

BalanceOfPower

Alfrescian
Loyal

From reverent silence to total chaos: how attack on Canadian parliament unfolded

Stillness of memorial shattered by shots, triggering frantic hunt as police chase gunman through parliament and MPs barricade doors

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 23 October, 2014, 10:33pm
UPDATED : Friday, 24 October, 2014, 1:22am

Agencies in Ottawa

ottawa-statue.jpg

Rescuers tend to the soldier shot at the war memorial. Photo: Reuters

b366ca6f891aae2c75a6f2bd67d5a0a6.jpg

Police pursue the gunman through the Centre Block of the Parliament buildings. Photo: Reuters

411738fbb690f0ce4272ad26e5134a0f.jpg

Police pursue the gunman through the Centre Block of the Parliament buildings. Photo: AP

The mother of the man accused of killing a soldier at Ottawa's war memorial then storming Parliament before being shot dead spoke to the media for the first time last night and revealed that she is crying for the victims of the shooting - not her son.

In a brief and tear-filled telephone interview, Susan Bibeau said she did not know what to say to those hurt in the attack.

"Can you ever explain something like this?" she said. "We are sorry."

Investigators offered little information about the gunman in Ottawa, identified as 32-year-old petty criminal Michael Zehaf-Bibeau.

Canadian police conceded that Zehaf-Bibeau was the lone gunman, the second attack in three days in what the prime minister described as terrorism.

Bibeau said she was devastated for the victims of the attack.

"If I'm crying it's for the people," she said, struggling to hold back tears.

"Not for my son."

Bibeau and her husband had earlier sent a lengthy email expressing horror and sadness at what happened.

"I am mad at my son," the email said, explaining that he seemed lost "and did not fit in".

"I spoke with him last week over lunch, I had not seen him for over five years before that," the email said. "So I have very little insight to offer."

Yesterday it was revealed that the man her son shot was 24-year-old reservist Corporal Nathan Cirillo. After the shooting his body lay limp in a huddle of paramedics as they battled to massage his heart back to life, with tourists and reporters looking on, and dozens of police descending.

He was picked up from a pavement that normally holds wreaths laid by Canadian dignitaries and honoured guests and loaded onto a stretcher.

Zehaf-Bibeau, had run off, and now the hunt was on.

Across Parliament Hill, the bluff overlooking the Ottawa River and the Rideau Canal that holds Canada's seat of government, all hell was breaking loose - police shouting, armoured cars rolling up.

Adam Vaughan, a member of the House of Commons, was in a staircase when he heard shots on the floor above. At first he thought the noise was nearby construction work, but then chaos erupted. "We heard all of the shots go off and there was a volley of shots that happened and I was underneath the hallway and I was immediately taken into a secure area and I have been in lockdown since."

Vaughan said two colleagues saw the shooter who stormed the building, one of the most world's most open legislatures, a symbol of parliamentary democracy.

They described the wandering assailant as a man with a long beard wearing a scarf and what might have been body armour.

Shots erupted, echoing off the stone walls of the Gothic palace. A bullet grazed one woman, a security officer was wounded, but the police were close behind.

The shooter came through the front entrance, up a few steps into the main lobby and beyond to the Hall of Honour and towards the library, the only original part of the building not destroyed by fire a century ago.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper was meeting members of his party at a caucus meeting in a nearby room. He was hustled away to safety as officers from various forces drew their guns.

The Globe and Mail newspaper posted a video showing police advancing with their guns aimed as more than 20 loud bangs echoed through a hallway. A CTV reporter tweeted a photograph of lawmakers barricading the door to their caucus room with furniture.Lawmakers turned to Twitter to send messages to their friends and families letting them know they were safe albeit exhausted.

"Shots fired during caucus meeting. At least 30 shots. MPs piled out. I'm safe with two colleagues but we're still at risk," tweeted cabinet minister Tony Clement.

"PM [Harper] was in caucus but now secure. Assuming it's not safe to venture out yet," he said moments later.

There is a day care centre in the complex for children of parliamentarians, staff and media who work there. "Mom I'm okay I'm in hiding," Conservative Michelle Rempel tweeted soon after the shooting broke out. Liberal Sean Casey described joy at gaining access to toilets after some five hours: "SWAT team member just announced that the hallway adjacent to the room in which we are locked down is secure, and has a bathroom."

One staffer saw the gunman through the library glass doors - stout, wearing a hoody and brandishing a long gun like a shotgun.

Police yelled instructions, pulled some to safety in secured areas, sent others who could escape scurrying into the sunshine, over lawns and out of the complex to police barricades beyond.

Once clear of the building, the sounds of gunfire subsided but the rumour mill was roaring into life.

Shortly afterwards, police announced that the shooter was down, shot by police before he could kill again, and an unsettling silence descended.

Agence France-Presse, Reuters

BalanceOfPower

Alfrescian
Loyal

Canadian parliament's Sergeant-at-Arms hailed as hero for shooting gunman

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 23 October, 2014, 10:34pm
UPDATED : Friday, 24 October, 2014, 1:22am

Agence France-Presse in Ottawa

f208bc29afc4d5972754b6a9910e8714.jpg

Kevin Vickers

Canada's parliament reopened yesterday, giving a hero's welcome to its 58-year-old head of security after he shot dead the gunman who stormed the building.

Applause rang out for the guardian of the cradle of Canada's democracy Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers - who bears the assembly's ceremonial mace - followed by a prayer, the national anthem and a moment of silence.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper crossed the floor of the Commons to shake Vickers' hand, and hug opposition leaders.

Conservative Member of Parliament Peter Goldring said Vickers shot dead the gunman who had been running past the caucus room containing Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

"He came out of his office with a weapon and fired and apparently dropped him," Goldring said. "He even went back into his office again and reloaded to come out again to give protection, because the sense was that nobody was sure whether it was one person or whether it was multiple people involved."

Member of Parliament Craig Scott said on Twitter that Vickers had shot the gunman just as he approached rooms packed with politicians. "MPs and [parliament] staff owe their safety, even lives, to Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers, who shot the attacker just outside the MPs' caucus rooms," Scott wrote.

Vickers, a 29-year veteran of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, was appointed Sergeant-at-Arms in 2006. The position puts him in charge of security at the parliamentary buildings.

He also carries the mace, the symbol of parliamentary authority, during formal proceedings.

Canada's minister of justice, Peter Mackay, named Vickers on Twitter following the drama.

"To all in Ottawa, stay safe and strong. Thank God for Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers and our Canadian security forces. True heroes," Mackay wrote.

Canadian minister of veteran affairs Julian Fantino also identified Vickers in a post.

"I am safe and profoundly grateful to Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers and our security forces for the selfless act of keeping us safe," he wrote.

Senator Linda Frum responded to a tweet identifying Vickers as the man who had brought the shoot-out to a bloody conclusion with one word: "Hero."

Several journalists also praised Vickers, with CTV News broadcaster Mercedes Stephenson remarking: "Heroic actions by Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers today. He saved lives."

Additional reporting by Reuters