• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shanghai Travel Thread

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Tried searching here but could not find a traveling thread for Shanghai, if there is could the moderator please merge this, thanks.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Every trip here two things I must eat, 小笼包 and 生煎包. The best I've found in Shanghai are found on the same street 黄河路. This street is very close to the 人民广场 or the city centre.

佳家汤包

Start with the seaweed egg soup

Crab meat and port 小笼包

Close up

Always have it with the ginger and vinegar

Just look at the juice inside - steam

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
After the 小笼包 just walk across the street you find 小杨生煎包

The kitchen

The maker

Serving

Crispy on the outside and juicy inside

Check out the sinful soup inside

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
One don't have to really only eat Shanghainese food while here as there are many other good restaurants here. Another one that I will not miss is Do Shui Dong 滴水洞 a Hunan restaurant found along Maoming Road very close to the Garden Hotel

Its always crowded with foreigners but the food is 100% authentic Hunan

I prefer Hunan over Szechuan because it does not contain the pepper that causes numbness. This is tu-gua with chili

My first time drinking white

Chinese wine 45% alcohol, waitress told me it blends very well with Hunan food

Packs a punch

Fried long beans with egg plant and dried ham, the ham is more to make it taste good so its very little ham

Sour beans are actually long beans soaked in fresh water and vinegar for like two days in a clay container then taken out to cook, very very delicious cannot miss this

Beef thinly sliced with chili - very very good

Braised pork - 毛家红烧肉

There are many other very good dishes but since I'm alone I couldn't even finish what I ordered, I will post the next time.

Cheers

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
[video=youtube_share;x674qwpp4GI]http://youtu.be/x674qwpp4GI[/video]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Lunch at a scenic place in Yuhang

Cold chicken

Chinese celery with bean curd

红烧肉 and chicken feet, can't eat this cos don't eat feet and there no bloody meat at all

鲈鱼 have to say this is very good

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Too tired to go far for dinner do settled next to hotel for Shanghainese food

Kofu

Tofu with egg and crab roe

Kailan

Lion head with crab roe

the hairy crabs one male one female

Traditionally drink yellow wine with eating hairy crab

the female

the male

All these for ot 350RMB of $70

oldnews

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How do you find the hairy crabs? I heard they usually export the best ones to hong kong where they can fetch a better price.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
How do you find the hairy crabs? I heard they usually export the best ones to hong kong where they can fetch a better price.

You are quite right. Its like these two costs 78 RMB each, a few nights before I had this twice one was HK$298 the other HK$380 but they are really big and good taste.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the last time i was in shanghai, old men were picking used chopsticks from the dumpster and recycling them, and a couple was seen in an alley pushing a cart with a drum full of darkish recycled cooking oil. wondering now if that was gutter oil. :confused: :eek:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
the last time i was in shanghai, old men were picking used chopsticks from the dumpster and recycling them, and a couple was seen in an alley pushing a cart with a drum full of darkish recycled cooking oil. wondering now if that was gutter oil. :confused: :eek:

Yes esnd, its gutter indeed.

By the way ask any Chinese about gutter oil most will tell you they have stopped thinking about it and already assumed they are consuming it. Sad sial its like they've given up.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes esnd, its gutter indeed.

By the way ask any Chinese about gutter oil most will tell you they have stopped thinking about it and already assumed they are consuming it. Sad sial its like they've given up.

the street i was referring to was wujiang road, near the west nanjing road station. best, cheapest and most diverse street food scene in shanghai, with uigher halal food too.

unfortunately, now i realize the place and other street food places in shanghai are also well known for the use of recycled gutter oil. yikes! :eek:

http://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-street-vendors-use-gutter-oil-2013-10