• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore is number 1 yet again thanks to the PAP

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Singapore named Lonely Planet's No 1 country for travel in 2015

PUBLISHED ON OCT 21, 2014 11:12 AM

The Singapore Flyer is seen in the background of the Flower Dome at Gardens By The Bay on Sept 26, 2014. -- ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG

BY MELISSA LIN

SINGAPORE - Global travel company Lonely Planet has named Singapore the world's number one country to travel to next year.

In its latest guidebook, Best in Travel 2015, published on Tuesday, Lonely Planet noted that multicultural Singapore is "always celebrating something" and has more reason to next year when it turns 50.

The book said "a slew of new developments has elevated the 'Singapore experience' to a new level", from Marina Bay to "a new crop of swanky hotels".

To coincide with its Golden Jubilee, Singapore is set to usher in a number of new attractions next year, including the National Art Gallery and the Singapore Sports Hub, it added.

Best in Travel 2015 is Lonely Planet's 10th collection of the best destinations, experiences and travel trends. It is available in eight languages and sold in more than 100 countries. This is the first time that Singapore has made it to any of the lists.

Coming in second is Namibia, followed by Lithuania, Nicaragua and Ireland. The Republic of Congo, Serbia, Philippines, St Lucia and Morocco round up the list of top 10 countries.

The top country for 2014 was Brazil, host of the World Cup.

Singapore Tourism Board's assistant chief executive Lynette Pang welcomed the accolade. "We are humbled by this tremendous result, and honoured by the recognition of Singapore's efforts not just in tourism, but also in heritage conservation, greenery, dining, arts and many other areas."

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...o-1-country-travel-2015-#sthash.yXzf4bGv.dpuf

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
u gotta be kidding,iv seen countless comments by ang mohs travellers on lonely planet to avoid Singapore....its the most boring part of Asia.no culture no authenticity no natives riding scooters and selling u holiday souvenirs and keropok snacks.

Last edited:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
many foreigners who came here on visit are impressed with the cleaniness of s'pore but are citing too expensive to stay comparing us to other asian countries. i am a friendly taxi driver, dun forget...:biggrin:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Weird, I don't see Singapore in this list though.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/oct/21/lonely-planet-top-10-cities-salisbury-washington

Lonely Planet selects Salisbury among top 10 cities to visit
Wiltshire city listed along with Washington, El Chaltén, Milan and Zermatt in travel guide’s selection of places to visit in 2015

Lonely Planet select the top 10 countries to visit in 2015

Tweet this

inShare
Email
Will Coldwell
The Guardian, Tuesday 21 October 2014
Jump to comments (258)
Salisbury
The cathedral city of Salisbury. Photograph: David Goddard/Getty Images
The rain has just cleared over Salisbury Cathedral and a smattering of tourists are beginning to emerge from beneath the trees, sauntering about its impeccable lawn, stopping occasionally to photograph the tallest spire they will find in Britain.

Among them is regular visitor Anthony Iles, 70, who is on a campervan holiday with his wife. “We like the walks and it’s got some very fine old buildings,” he says. “It’s a nice town … a city I suppose.”

With a population of 40,000, Salisbury’s city status is easily overlooked. But over the coming year that could change. The destination – usually visited as a stop-off on the way to nearby Stonehenge – has been tipped by travel guide publisher Lonely Planet as among the top 10 cities in the world to visit in 2015, beating the Austrian capital of Vienna and Canada’s biggest city, Toronto, to take seventh place in the rankings.

The cities on the list – topped this year by Washington – are judged on criteria that include whether there is something special going on during the year, whether there have been recent developments or a buzz about the place and whether it is deemed an up and coming destination.

Salisbury Cathedral
Salisbury Cathedral viewed from Harnham Water Meadows at sunrise. Photograph: Ken Leslie /Alamy
In Salisbury’s case, the Wiltshire city will play an important role in the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta: of the four original copies of the document that remain, Salisbury cathedral holds what is perhaps the best preserved.

The cathedral can even count Jay-Z among its fans – in the summer of last year the rapper held the global launch of the artwork for his album Magna Carta … Holy Grail at the site, displayed alongside the ancient document.

“The 800th anniversary of the signing of the Magna Carta gives a great excuse to visit,” says Tom Hall, Lonely Planet editorial director and contributor to the Best in Travel guide.

“Like most visitors I headed straight for the cathedral, but found that I liked exploring Salisbury’s historic old centre, green spaces with a relaxed atmosphere and exploring some historic pubs as much as the big-name sights.”

In one such historic pub, the Haunch of Venison – a supposedly haunted pub in the city centre – there is a sense that Salisbury well deserves Lonely Planet’s accolade.

“I’ve been a visitor for Salisbury for many years,” says Colin Boon, 55, who is sitting in the wood-panelled front room of the venue sipping an ale. “Basically for the pubs … Then I decided to move here. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I’ve lived in many places around the country and the world but of all the places this is my favourite. It’s certainly up there with Norwich.”

Mark Bramley, general manager at the Red Lion – the oldest purpose-built hotel in Europe and a stunning example of the 13th-century architecture found in the city – defends Salisbury’s ranking with even more passion.

“If I didn’t live in Romsey – which I do think is the best town in the world – I’d move here,” he says. “It’s a city because we’ve got the cathedral, but we’ve got a market town mentality. And I mean that positively, not negatively.”

Arundells, home of former prime minister Sir Edward Heath.
Arundells, home of former prime minister Sir Edward Heath. Photograph: Sophia Evans/theguardian.com
The growing attention Salisbury has been getting owing to the Magna Carta celebrations is already proving positive for the hotel. Bookings are up on this time last year and the number of visitors coming for holidays or leisure, rather than business, is increasing.

“The secret’s getting out,” he says. “But people should come and explore the city – there’s more than enough to do for four or five days here. I think it’s got more to offer than Bath; they’ve just got the Royal Crescent, the Pump Room and once you’ve had a drink of the water you’re done. You can do it in half an hour.

“We’ve got the Cathedral, Old Sarum, Stonehenge, Ted Heath’s house and you can walk from the city centre into Constable’s countryside in five minutes. It’s a hidden treasure.”

Salisbury cathedral
Looking across the rooftops to Salisbury cathedral. Photograph: Julian Elliott Ethereal Light/Getty Images
Top 10 cities in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015

Washington DC – USA

El Chaltén –Argentina

Milan – Italy

Zermatt – Switzerland

Valletta – Malta

Plovdiv – Bulgaria

Salisbury – UK

Vienna – Austria

Chennai – India

Toronto – Canada

Source: Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
u gotta be kidding,iv seen countless comments by ang mohs travellers on lonely planet to avoid Singapore....its the most boring part of Asia.no culture no authenticity no natives riding scooters and selling u holiday souvenirs and keropok snacks.

These backpacking angmo went to the wrong places. I am sure the interviewees were the chow angmo having ole good time at Orchard Towers.

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
STPB must have bribed them to do this write-up :rolleyes:
Little red dot celebrates 50 years of Independence that's why it coincide with Lonely Planet's recommendation
:oIo:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you read Lonely Planet travel guides, they're more biased towards the urban places: nightlife, restaurants, shopping, bars etc.

For people who wish to see ancient historical sites or great nature, there's nothing in Singapore.

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you read Lonely Planet travel guides, they're more biased towards the urban places: nightlife, restaurants, shopping, bars etc.

For people who wish to see ancient historical sites or great nature, there's nothing in Singapore.

There's a living fossil residing in 38 Oxley Road :p

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Personally, I find Frommer's and Footprint travel guides much better than Lonely Planet. Go to a bookshop or library, and read and compare for yourself.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Tonychat, yes we know. You and your ang moh customers at OT are the most informative, even more informative than CNN and BBC.

Thank you for your feedback, now just fuck back to KL.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Singapore named Lonely Planet's No 1 country for travel in 2015

PUBLISHED ON OCT 21, 2014 11:12 AM

The Singapore Flyer is seen in the background of the Flower Dome at Gardens By The Bay on Sept 26, 2014. -- ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG

BY MELISSA LIN

SINGAPORE - Global travel company Lonely Planet has named Singapore the world's number one country to travel to next year.

In its latest guidebook, Best in Travel 2015, published on Tuesday, Lonely Planet noted that multicultural Singapore is "always celebrating something" and has more reason to next year when it turns 50.

Guess whatever seems boring to us is a novelty to many in the rest of the world.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal

Of course lah! Only a moron will come here to see nature!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Of course lah! Only a moron will come here to see nature!

there's nature in sg if you look hard enough.

image.jpg

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tonychat, yes we know. You and your ang moh customers at OT are the most informative, even more informative than CNN and BBC.

Thank you for your feedback, now just fuck back to KL.

of course!!!!!tell me besides the ang mohs,how many sinkies are willing to pack a 10kg backpack,hike off to a foreign country,stay in a hostel with 8 other strangers and international travellers,live on 20 dollars a day plus rent,stay there for 2 to 3 months and really explore the place and soak up the culture and have deep conversations with the natives and other travellers,learn about the

If i want to look for sinkies in a foreign country,i have to go to the biggest shopping malls where they congregate,look for the discount warehouse sales and ask the locals where the nearest all you can eat buffet is.thats why i stay away from loser sinkies.