• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kay Lee Roast Meat Joint sold for $4 million: 5 other recipes with high prices

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Straits Times
www.straitstimes.comPublished on Oct 21, 2014

Kay Lee Roast Meat Joint sold for $4 million: 5 other eateries and recipes with high prices

By Yeo Sam Jo And Bryna Singh

Popular roast meat eatery Kay Lee has been sold for $4 million to conglomerate Aztech Group.
This comes 2 1/2 years after the 32-year-old joint in Upper Paya Lebar Road was put up for sale with an asking price of $3.5 million, with its recipe alone going for $2 million.
Here are five other eateries which have sold or tried to sell their recipes and businesses at hefty prices.
1. Peach Garden Chinese Restaurant
The popular Cantonese cuisine restaurant and catering chain was sold for $10.2 million in 2008 to home-grown food caterer Select Group.
The business was started in 2002 at Novena Gardens by founders Angela Ho and Veronica Tan, who remain involved in the new group.
Since then, it has grown to include nine outlets across the island.
Select Group's managing director Vincent Tan hails buying over The Peach Garden Holdings as his most satisfying business deal to date. According to a January 2012 article in The Straits Times, the Peach Garden subsidiary accounted for about 30 per cent of the group's annual revenue, which was $75.5 million in 2010 compared with $61.5 million the year before.
2. Sin Kee Famous Chicken Rice
Mr Niven Leong, 55, was reported in August as looking to sell his father's chicken rice name and recipe for $42,800 - his father's favourite number.
The business, which started in 1971 at the now-defunct Margaret Drive Food Centre, moved to Mei Ling Street Food Centre in 2002, and is run by Leong's younger brother Benson.
The older Mr Leong, who owns another chicken rice stall, Uncle Chicken, at Alexandra Village Food Centre, is confident in his family's recipe.
However, he told The Straits Times on Tuesday that the name and recipe are not for sale. Instead, he is looking to use his father's recipe to train up "hawkerpreneurs" instead - a buzzword of late used by those who want to draw the younger generation into the hawker scene.
To interested trainees, he has this to say: "I can't promise that you'll make tons of money, but I can assure you that you will make a good living - as long as you keep to what my father left behind."
3. Hougang 6 Miles Famous Muah Chee
Owner of Hougang 6 Miles Famous Muah Chee, Mr Teo Yong Joo, 52, said in 2012 that he hopes to sell his family's glutinous rice ball business and recipe for $1 million.
The stall, which Mr Teo's father started in Hougang in 1952, moved to Bedok in 2012, and is now at Toa Payoh HDB Hub's Gourmet Paradise food court.
4. Tai Fatt Hau Cuisine
The stewed beef noodles recipe and stall at Bukit Merah were put on sale for $200,000 in 2012.
Its owners, Mr Wong Pak Shin, 67, and his wife, Madam Tan Li Ying, 63, claimed to sell 100 bowls of noodles a day.
The elderly couple told The Straits Times in 2012 that they hope to retire soon, after Mr Wong suffered a heart attack in 2011 and underwent two heart bypass operations.
Mr Wong's beef stew is adapted from his father's recipe of Hakka carrot and beef stew.
5. Xiu Jie Claypot Bak Kut Teh
The owner of this Telok Blangah Drive stall, Ms Ang Chiew Huat, 67, also priced the recipe for her pork rib soup at $200,000 in 2012.
Her Cantonese version of the soup has a lighter broth than the Malaysian version, and carries more than 10 types of medicinal herbs.
"The price can be negotiated," she told The Straits Times in 2012. "I just don't want my hard work to go to waste since my children will not take over the business."
The Straits Times spoke to Ms Ang on Tuesday and she said the recipe is still for sale.
"I'm still keen to pass it on, it would be such a pity if I can't," she said, adding that she is no longer selling the soup at the moment. After she suffered from a fall in 2012, she said she could no longer run the stall on her own.
But being a "hawker at heart", she could not resist re-entering the food industry. She now sells rojak, popiah and prawn fritters at a coffeeshop stall at Block 10, Telok Blangah Crescent.
"Business is good, and I find this much more manageable," she said.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I fear that for the singapore local food scene, the writing is on the wall. The local cuisine or hawker food was always innovative, and blended many culture's food together. Hawkers were always trying to create new dishes, use different ingredients, etc. But this is now dying out. In part due to these established chains selling out. You know there is a problem when they are also selling their recipes. The incoming buyer will not have the experience or incentive to create new dishes when it has the existing recipe. Coupled with the older generation hawkers retiring or selling out to PRC and other foreign FTs, the hawker scene looks bleak to me. whenever I am in Malaysia, I am constantly amazed at the new dishes that keep coming up there. very sad.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ive been there a few times, each time see how the lady boss treats and talks to and scolds her workers....

never again
money and or connections,will enable one to look good on outside but in reality totally rotten to the core inside

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is the point of buying a secret recipe when costs are constantly increasing & most businesses will cut corners to maintain profit levels.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What is the point of buying a secret recipe when costs are constantly increasing & most businesses will cut corners to maintain profit levels.
exactly
when one has to source for cheaper ingredients etc, u wonder about the quality and health defects of the food, NOT benefits

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal
ive been there a few times, each time see how the lady boss treats and talks to and scolds her workers....

never again
money and or connections,will enable one to look good on outside but in reality totally rotten to the core inside

The lady boss is actually a very nice person. It is not uncommon for people of her generation to talk in a very gruff manner, but they do not mean any offence.

I do not know her personally, but i have eaten at her Kay Lee restaurant a few times. It is actually quite easy to get there from Shenton Way, so my office colleagues would go there for lunch.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I fear that for the singapore local food scene, the writing is on the wall. The local cuisine or hawker food was always innovative, and blended many culture's food together. Hawkers were always trying to create new dishes, use different ingredients, etc. But this is now dying out. In part due to these established chains selling out. You know there is a problem when they are also selling their recipes. The incoming buyer will not have the experience or incentive to create new dishes when it has the existing recipe. Coupled with the older generation hawkers retiring or selling out to PRC and other foreign FTs, the hawker scene looks bleak to me. whenever I am in Malaysia, I am constantly amazed at the new dishes that keep coming up there. very sad.

Because this country is run like a rent-seeking, profit-maximizing family business, naturally franchising and outsourcing will creep into the way people run their business. You are witnessing it now.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The lady boss is actually a very nice person. It is not uncommon for people of her generation to talk in a very gruff manner, but they do not mean any offence.

I do not know her personally, but i have eaten at her Kay Lee restaurant a few times. It is actually quite easy to get there from Shenton Way, so my office colleagues would go there for lunch.
being nice to customers when u are the boss in F and B is a given...

its what one does when one thinks no one is wathcing or in the presecence of not so important customes