• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

dying Japenese giant SONY

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sony is a Jap company. It a pre-dominated by egoistic Japanese. Steve Job if given a position will be fired by Sony in no time. Sony way of running technology company is way behind time

If you think the Japs are 'egoistic', wait till you work with the Koreans, especially the men. Even their women buay tahan them. :biggrin:

Japs are okay to work with, just a bit more risk-averse and meticulous.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
MicroSD card slot and removable battery are also not available on some Android phones. If you add them, you'll lose the sexy unibody. You win some, you lose some.
Yes, but at least, the customers are still given a choice. For example, if I don't like HTC, I can opt for SAMSUNG. But for APPLE, there's no other manufacturer using the same OS.

iTunes is more of a backup/sync tool and a place for you to download apps and music if you wish to, you don't need iTunes to play music and videos on an iPhone.
I don't know, but I had once sent a short MP4 video file to my brother-in-law's iPhone (via email) and he came back to say that it couldn't be played on his iPhone?:*:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you think the Japs are 'egoistic', wait till you work with the Koreans, especially the men. Even their women buay tahan them. :biggrin:

This I agree with you. The Koreans are almost as unreasonable and disastrous as the Chinks. I personally had worked before with all the 3 Nationalities.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes its dieing,last i check,Singtel has higher revenue and profit margins than Sony.a unknown company like Singtel making more money than Sony?

Not quite. SingTel, especially the Singapore part of SingTel, is losing money also. So much so that the CEO, Allen Lew was quietly removed and relocated to their Australian part of the business. This Allen Lew was ex-President Lee Hsien Yang's favourite and was destined to take over the entire SingTel. BUT he dropped the ball. Hence removed.

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
This I agree with you. The Koreans are almost as unreasonable and disastrous as the Chinks. I personally had worked before with all the 3 Nationalities.

I have not worked with Koreans, but you are right about PRC. They are so distrusting to the point that they must purposely go the opposite direction of one's wise recommendation (as if they suspect everyone is out to cheat them). Ultimately stupid decision that land themselves into disasters. That is why almost none of the true blue PRC companies can really make it overseas other than using cheap prices to sell their copy-cat products.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal

Korea man is good. They like to dominate their women. Hence, they are egoistic.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have not worked with Koreans, but you are right about PRC. They are so distrusting to the point that they must purposely go the opposite direction of one's wise recommendation (as if they suspect everyone is out to cheat them). Ultimately stupid decision that land themselves into disasters. That is why almost none of the true blue PRC companies can really make it overseas other than using cheap prices to sell their copy-cat products.

What about taobao?

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have always admired Sony products, bought their first cassette WALKMAN, their DiSCMAN, their whatever format, disc player, TV sets & other electronic products. Up to recent years, owned one or two of their MP3 Discman player...their MP3 player, great sound ( much better than Apple or Creative) output, but user unfriendly & their music management software was crappy...sold that & changed back to iPod.

Sony needs to go back to the days where their products are of this quality.

[video=youtube;aBv-Qrs7iuQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBv-Qrs7iuQ[/video]

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sony needs to go back to the days where their products are of this quality.

Not this PROFESSIONAL QUALITY walkman player...more their mid range ones....used till they wore out & then change new one....I think the last one spoilt & went to the dustbin....they had a propriety MD player later...

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is not just sony, I think it is the entire japan that is dying or rather already clinically dead. 20 over years ago, some old Japanese were telling me that they see big problem in the future for japan - the reason, the young has no drive. I took the comments with skepticism, feeling that the remarks were results of generation gap.

Looking back, their prophecy has come true. Since the recession and stagnation, japan has produced nothing to capture the world market. The old japan can copy and improve. The new can't even do that. This bring the issue to Sg. Are we not in worse situation?

It takes one generation of wealth and good life to destroy the attitude, resilience ... of the next generation. This applies to all other countries. China has destroyed the ability and willingness to work for people in the developed countries. Their export of cheap goods make a mockery of working with our hands for a living. The rest of the world just enjoy the fruit of their hard labour. So when the system collapsed and the quantity of money was wiped out in 2008, they print more to allow the game to continue, believing that the crisis can be overcome this way. History shows that curbing spending during the Great Depression hasten the collapse. So they did the opposite, print money. This cannot be a solution. It only helps to delay the ultimate collapse. As long as the people has lost the ability to work hard for a living, the final collapse must happen. In Sg, we imported ft to slog it out for the economy while the citizen can continue to enjoy being agents, doing desk bound jobs, collect rentals.... We can do so as our economy is small but big countries can't. Attitude cannot be changed overnight, so the current state will continue and finally, what will happen must happen.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sony is bony....:biggrin:

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WGeYt8ONxxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Sony makes great CMOS sensors for digital cameras. I hope they survive for this reason alone.

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not just sony, I think it is the entire japan that is dying or rather already clinically dead. 20 over years ago, some old Japanese were telling me that they see big problem in the future for japan - the reason, the young has no drive. I took the comments with skepticism, feeling that the remarks were results of generation gap.

Looking back, their prophecy has come true. Since the recession and stagnation, japan has produced nothing to capture the world market. The old japan can copy and improve. The new can't even do that. This bring the issue to Sg. Are we not in worse situation?

It takes one generation of wealth and good life to destroy the attitude, resilience ... of the next generation. This applies to all other countries. China has destroyed the ability and willingness to work for people in the developed countries. Their export of cheap goods make a mockery of working with our hands for a living. The rest of the world just enjoy the fruit of their hard labour. So when the system collapsed and the quantity of money was wiped out in 2008, they print more to allow the game to continue, believing that the crisis can be overcome this way. History shows that curbing spending during the Great Depression hasten the collapse. So they did the opposite, print money. This cannot be a solution. It only helps to delay the ultimate collapse. As long as the people has lost the ability to work hard for a living, the final collapse must happen. In Sg, we imported ft to slog it out for the economy while the citizen can continue to enjoy being agents, doing desk bound jobs, collect rentals.... We can do so as our economy is small but big countries can't. Attitude cannot be changed overnight, so the current state will continue and finally, what will happen must happen.

The next one to collapse will be China. If you think Young Japanese or Singaporean have bad attitude, wait until you meet the children of the single policy of China. Totally lazy in attitude or even the brain. Just very hardworking at thinking 'smart' (or they think so) schemes or trickeries to make quick money.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

You said it right. When graduates find it better to be real estate and insurance agents, or bank officers than engineers , you are promoting wealth management without wealth creation. When you cream off your smartest layer and give them cushy jobs for life in the civil service, talent gets diverted to infrastructure rather than innovation. We should have been dynamic in IT. But do geeks get any respect here ? Worse still allow ill gotten gains in the country to be flaunted through vanity events like F1 and Maseratis. What's the message to people ? Better to cheat, steal or finagle rather than create.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From the post here. I realise many r just talking abt consumer goods. But I think Japan is going the way of the USA...wat they r doing is concentrating more on industrial goods and components. Like Boss Sam added..sony makes good cmos sensors..n sony cameras r doing well. They r quite high tech. N sony is really innovative in terms of mirrorless cameras.

But also for Canon n Nikon..they can b dinosaurs as they r unwilling to move on to newer tech n still concentrating on mirror dslrs as they dont want to cannibalise on their existing market.

Same w Cars..design etc..the koreans r beating them..but for me I prefer a jap car as its more 'refined'..but koreans will overtake them soon.

The only thing tat can save them is industrial goods..better margins n more capital intensive.

Soft exports like culture n entertainment. AV. J pop. Anime. Food n tourism. Fashion etc also can. Consumer electronics is damn fickle. They better off w just being A component manufacturer. Sony cmos sensors are used by Samsung etc too. But tat still need innovation. If stick to old tech like plasma screens etc..sure gone case.