• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can you close your eyes and stand on one leg?

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can last pretty long, as long as with your eyes opened, provided the following conditions are met:

1. Using the stronger leg

2. Close your eyes only after you've raised your leg and balanced well

If the above 2 conditions are not met, then it's like standing on jelly.
I think this is the first time that I found some sense in your post

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
closed eyes and stood on right leg... lasted over 25 seconds
closed eyes and tried with standing on left leg... close to 28 seconds.
What's the big deal?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
closed eyes and stood on right leg... lasted over 25 seconds
closed eyes and tried with standing on left leg... close to 28 seconds.
What's the big deal?

If your backside muscle is not strong, you cannot balance on one leg for very long.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It was part of my test for my application for a PPL. I was told it is a stumbling block for those over 50.
I thought the trick is just to focus your eyes at an imaginary spot in the centre and you will not "stray"

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
not always accurate, esp on people with vertigo. i am only 26 but they say my real age is 50.
maybe i must really go learn tai chi :biggrin:

Early in life, your eyes, ears, muscles, brain, and nerves learn to work together to keep you upright and steady on your feet. But with age, balancing skills tend to become less dependable, especially if you don't use them regularly. Staying physically active can help you keep your balance as you age by keeping your nerves, muscles, and reflexes in good working order.

But are you doing enough to maintain your balancing act? Find out how much your balance skills are affecting your functional age by taking this simple static-balance test:
How long can you stand on one leg -- eyes closed -- before losing your balance?

1. Find a partner and a watch. Enlist the help of a friend or family member who has a watch with a second hand and five minutes to spare.

2. Take off your shoes. Stand barefoot on a flat, hard surface. Ask your partner to hold the watch and stand close by to catch you in case you start to fall.

3. Close your eyes.

4. Lift your foot. Lift one foot (left foot if you’re right-handed, right foot if you’re left-handed) about 6 inches off the floor, bending your knee at a 45-degree angle.

Ask your partner to start timing.

5. Hold this position. Keep still as long as you can without jiggling or teetering, falling, or opening your eyes.

6. Stop the clock. Stop timing if the raised foot begins to lower or touch the ground, if you begin to sway, or if you open your eyes.

7. Repeat the test three times. Note the time for each test, and calculate the average of the three times by adding them together and dividing by 3.

8. Check your average against this results chart.

What's your balance-based RealAge?
Balance Time Balance-Based RealAge
4 seconds 70 years
5 seconds 65 years
7 seconds 60 years
8 seconds 55 years
9 seconds 50 years
12 seconds 45 years
16 seconds 40 years
22 seconds 30-35 years
28 seconds 25-30 years

Improve Your Balance

Almost any activity that keeps you on your feet and moving will help preserve your body's balancing system. In particular, exercises that force your muscles to bear weight and overcome resistance will help support your joints and improve your stability. Try exercising to improve balance.

Studies have shown that tai chi, a gentle form of ancient Chinese martial arts, improves balance, flexibility, cardiorespiratory fitness, muscular strength, and endurance. Slow, steady motions of the head, eyes, body, and limbs are performed in coordination with breathing.
Stretch and Strengthen

Stretching is also a great way to improve your range of motion, flexibility, and balance. Research suggests that stretching a few times a week with a set of light weights in your hands may bring even better results than stretching empty-handed.

Consult your doctor before beginning an exercise program for the first time, or if you have a medical condition that affects your ability to exercise safely. Healthy people should aim for at least 30 minutes of exercise on most days of the week.

2535397-po.jpg

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
sinkie say, alamak, mr leong show off again :( :biggrin:
so did u manage to get your license or not ? where do u intent to fly to? :wink:

It was part of my test for my application for a PPL. I was told it is a stumbling block for those over 50.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
sinkie say, alamak, mr leong show off again :( :biggrin:
so did u manage to get your license or not ? where do u intent to fly to? :wink:

It's on my bucket list so I decided to start the process. I just want to qualify for a license. I don't really intend to go anywhere.

It will also help if I'm on a plane one day and both pilots die at the same time. At least I'll have some idea how to land the plane.

I have passed the medical tests. Next stage is to pass the theory exams and take to the skies.

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
i wish u every success Mr leong, and if u can, take me somewhere nice when u get your license..:wink:

It's on my bucket list so I decided to start the process. I just want to qualify for a license. I don't really intend to go anywhere.

It will also help if I'm on a plane one day and both pilots die at the same time. At least I'll have some idea how to land the plane.

I have passed the medical tests. Next stage is to pass the theory exams and take to the skies.