• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NZ Professor says all chinks look alike

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
printLogo.png

Why we all think foreign faces look the same

5:08 PM Tuesday Oct 14, 2014
A_21122013HOSJADSHOP04_220x147.jpg

A professor has investigated why we find it hard to recognise faces of different ethnicities. Photo / File

A University of Auckland professor who admitted he struggled to tell his students apart has researched the psychology behind the difficulty people have recognising faces of different ethnicities.

When Professor Will Hayward was teaching in Hong Kong he found it difficult to recognise his students.

"It sounds un-PC but I had great difficulty telling my Chinese students apart from one another," he says. "I would often mistake one student for another," he said.

"They couldn't figure out why I had trouble with them; they said all white people looked identical to each other."

He developed a research programme on face identification for people of different ethnicities.

"For most of us, seeing is effortless. We open our eyes, and the world is instantly available to us. But the ease of the process belies its complexity, and we are only just beginning to understand how the brain creates our visual sense of the world."

People develop expertise for seeing the precise differences between faces, he said.

However, if those faces were all from one ethnicity, people struggled to see the differences in faces of a different ethnicity.

This was particularly noticeable when travelling to countries where the culture was unfamiliar, he said.

"The key thing is that these new people aren't actually more similar to each other than the ones we are used to, but our visual system doesn't know what to pay attention to," he said.

"Spending time in the new location definitely gives you more expertise at face identification, but it does require active practice."
The science of face perception is the topic of Professor Hayward's inaugural lecture, the Psychology of Seeing.

Professor Hayward's lecture would give an overview of the field of visual perception, which combined experimental psychology and cognitive neuroscience.

He would illustrate how the eyes were only the beginning of the visual system, and that major parts of the brain were devoted to interpreting visual information.

Professor Hayward led the Department of Psychology at the University of Hong Kong before taking up his current role as Head of the School of Psychology at University of Auckland.

The lecture will be held on Level 0 of the Owen G Glen Building in Lecture Theatre OGGB3 from 6pm to 7pm tonight.

- APNZ

Copyright ©2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in my orbice many angmos got botak heads..

i also confused if they are of the same height.

if you have to wear sunglasses due to the glare, at least you know you're taller than them.
next, look for any discerning marks or shapes of the cranium to tell them apart :*:

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Only retards and morons who spend most of their time in their mothers' basement cannot recognize another human being. I've no fucking problem recognizing different people of different races and I can even tell the dialects and tribes of the various africans, chinese, shiites, sunni or malawi and the various indigenous people......but then again, I'm not nearly human.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Only retards and morons who spend most of their time in their mothers' basement cannot recognize another human being. I've no fucking problem recognizing different people of different races and I can even tell the dialects and tribes of the various africans, chinese, shiites, sunni or malawi and the various indigenous people......but then again, I'm not nearly human.

Personally I have no problem with telling faces apart, no matter the ethnicity/race. The different Indian races also pose no problem – Bengali vs Punjabi vs Malayalee vs Tamil etc. Ditto for different Chinese dialect groups. Years of watching football have also helped me tell different European races apart.

But I have friends from SAP schools telling me they have difficulty differentiating Caucasian faces, having been schooled in a mono-racial environment and having mainly Chinese friends.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
u guys are fucking morons,the professor is talking about telling faces apart within the same ethnicity, not telling different ethnicities apart...

yes i have no problem too telling the hongkies apart from the sinkies and the tiongies and kimchis and sukiyakis but when i look at the tiongs and prcs in singapore and australia,they all look like the same fucking mongoloids to me.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I never paid attention to this, but I did read somewhere that bald (or balding) heads were inversely proportionate to hairy chests. Do not have evidence or stats to support this statement though.

Cheers!

Yes, many ang mohs are botaks. Is it the food they eat that cause them so? I also starting hair loss.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes i have no problem too telling the hongkies apart from the sinkies and the tiongies and kimchis and sukiyakis but when i look at the tiongs and prcs in singapore and australia,they all look like the same fucking mongoloids to me.

No problem with telling the Tiongs apart too - northeastern, northern, central, northwestern, southwestern, various southern dialect groups. Not just the Han ... am quite good with various minority groups.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No problem with telling the Tiongs apart too - northeastern, northern, central, northwestern, southwestern, various southern dialect groups. Not just the Han ... am quite good with various minority groups.

true true,i watch alot of documentaries about china and i notice alot of the poor tiongs in the countryside working as farmers,peasants,coolies carrying heavy loads of bricks,bags,grains,vegetables and construct workers and salvaging computer parts from garbage dumps,they look alot like sinkies.....even their peasant children that go to school in the cities have that sinkie look....its scary almost like looking at the faces of our forefathers.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
true true,i watch alot of documentaries about china and i notice alot of the poor tiongs in the countryside working as farmers,peasants,coolies carrying heavy loads of bricks,bags,grains,vegetables and construct workers and salvaging computer parts from garbage dumps,they look alot like sinkies.....even their peasant children that go to school in the cities have that sinkie look....its scary almost like looking at the faces of our forefathers.

I can generally tell which region they're from. But when they start opening their mouths, I can pinpoint their accent almost to the province, e.g. Deng Xiaoping speaks Mandarin with a Sichuan accent, the Putian accent is slightly different from the Fuqing (Hockchew) accent, etc. Tamils speak English with different accents from Malayalees and Hindi speakers, looks apart.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Like your parents in Malaysia also right Tonychat?

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Make up your mind. Can you differentiate or cannot? It is not about knowing which ethnicity or race or what. It is about knowing the difference between one human face and another, whether the faces are of the same race, ethnicity, dialect or tribe, etc.

For example, don't tell me you cannot differentiate between Tony Blair and David Cameron. And you cannot differentiate between Xi Jinping and Lee Keqiang, and Najib and Mahathir? Desmond Tutu and Nelson Mandela, for example. Don't tell me you can't differentiate them apart.

If one cannot differentiate, then he must be fed on shit in his mother's basement all his years. KNN.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If one cannot differentiate, then he must be fed on shit in his mother's basement all his years. KNN.

There are people like that, especially those who have not been exposed to races outside their own since young. Some Sinkies I know can't tell Denzel Washington apart from Samuel Jackson. There are many insular Sinkies who have not travelled outside SE Asia, don't watch foreign movies, don't read foreign mags, have no friends outside their race, and even have no classmates outside their ethnicity (SAP schools especially).

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Indian blacks look diff from African blacks. Obama is not as black as the blackest man.

It's not a matter of skin colour. Indians are of a totally different racial stock from Africans. The Indians in the south tend to have more Dravidian blood while the northerners (and southern Brahmins) are of part-Aryan (ancient Persian) and Mongoloid stock.

Even the Africans are quite diverse. East Africans (Kenyans, Ethiopians) look different from West AFricans (Sudanese, Nigerians). The former excel in long distance events, the latter in sprints. Northern African Arabs and Berbers (Semitic stock) look different from sub-Saharan negroid races and also different from Gulf Arabs.

Last edited: