• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Future supplier to ISIS

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
She serves dimsum, builds prayer room

SylviaLer_20141013.jpg

In the last 13 years, the number of halal-certified businesses in Singapore grew to over 2,500. They join the race to tap into the global halal food market, estimated to be worth over $760 billion. JUDITH TAN ([email protected]) speaks to three eatery owners on their forays into this market.

Tang Tea House

SINGAPORE - She wanted to break into the halal market with dimsum.

An unusual choice since dimsum is usually made with copious amounts of pork.

"I thought it was an untapped market and there are delicious alternatives," says Tang Tea House's boss Sylvia Ler, 58.

That was eight years ago and that astute gamble paid off. Today, hundreds of baskets of salted-egg custard buns fly off her shelves.

Nine in 10 of the customers of the restaurant in Bedok Road are Muslims, and they flock to the place on weekends for a dimsum treat. In fact; they have expanded from a corner coffee shop, to taking on three more units. Madam Ler says: "I wanted to introduce good Chinese food to the Malay community and what better way than the traditional dimsum fare."

The restaurant now serves more than 300 Chinese dishes, and her staff churn out the dishes that come from her own recipes.

"It is usually by word-of-mouth," says Madam Ler.

"My Malay customers come for lunch. Then they bring their families here for dinner. Their family members tell their friends and so on."

To cope with the demand, she expanded across the next three shops and even built a prayer room for her Muslim patrons and staff.

"This way, they do not have to gulp down their meals and rush to pray. They can pray here and have a leisurely lunch before going back to work," she adds.

Going halal means her expenses also go up by 10 to 20 per cent, yet she manages to keep prices at Tang Tea House "affordable for HDB heartlanders".

"For instance, our seafood hor fun, which is an all-time favourite, remains at only $4.80," Madam Ler says.

She continues to "absorb the goods and services tax and we don't charge for service either" to ensure that her restaurant remains popular in the long run.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Money is money and business will cross boundaries to capture the market. In view of the growing halal market, current sales in North America is even marketing "Halal" Certified turkeys for Thanksgivings meals.

Cheers!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nice try, but some foods should be strictly non-halal. You take out the pork, you take out the fun.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Money is money and business will cross boundaries to capture the market. In view of the growing halal market, current sales in North America is even marketing "Halal" Certified turkeys for Thanksgivings meals.

Cheers!

There are some money that is not worth making if you have any moral fibre in you.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with you, I am a salesman and after working so many years, I just wished I was selling a product that consumers don't bother about price. In my market, if our cost goes up just two cents, and I pass the cost to our customer, I start to get shit from them. Wish I was selling a premium product like COE. Low (almost No) cost, no storage/handling costs, supply unable to meet demand, always ready buyers. Best of all, nobody is forcing anyone to buy, but they all have to out-bid each other to get a chance to buy. No religion is offended by it. What a great product!!!

Cheers!

There are some money that is not worth making if you have any moral fibre in you.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree with you, I am a salesman and after working so many years, I just wished I was selling a product that consumers don't bother about price. In my market, if our cost goes up just two cents, and I pass the cost to our customer, I start to get shit from them. Wish I was selling a premium product like COE. Low (almost No) cost, no storage/handling costs, supply unable to meet demand, always ready buyers. Best of all, nobody is forcing anyone to buy, but they all have to out-bid each other to get a chance to buy. No religion is offended by it. What a great product!!!

Cheers!

In Singapore this type of product the pap already monopolized.
You try to sell this, you gonna kena hantam by you know who.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya lor, what to do? We commoners have to squeeze in the crowded market and jostle with each other to compete, the privileged have laws to protect their businesses. Life's tough.

Cheers!

In Singapore this type of product the pap already monopolized.
You try to sell this, you gonna kena hantam by you know who.