• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

BCA/ construction industry standards

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
the building next door to me got TOP about 2 weeks ago....
so we all thought finally peace and quiet .
they have been hacking for the last 2 weeks and will do so for another week more,

reason : granted TOP subject to certain modifications,,

the modification in this case is that the common staircase, or parts of it too narrow, they have to widen it

the hacking because the staircase is next to a wall, so they have to hack away parts of the wall next to the wall holding up the left hand side of the building.

hack the wall so they can increase the width of the stair case.

my question :

when you want to errect a building, surely one must submit plans to BCA? and i suppose in a world class super efficient country like ours, the BCA officers will look at the plans and tell you where you are wrong or not within the rules, so you go back and modify the drawings/designs/ measurements etc and then re submit and so forth and so forth

basically keep doing this until everything is within the rules and then BCA will approve and then you hand over the plans /designs to your contractor to build?

is the above logical? and fair? not too high of a standard to expect?

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
another question is when mistakes like the above are made, who should be responsible?

or no one is going to admit especially the governing body, to cover their as ses?

with the hacking and drilling going on, when it should not be, an agent just told me that whenever she has brought potential tenants to view i my building, all dont want citing the noise.....

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
just spoke to TOP dept at BCA, as expected i was told they never approve "bad" plans,,, must be architect or contractors fault......

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
FAQ:

Demolish a wall takes 2 weeks is a big job. Must be a big wall. Go take pictures a let us see how long and height of the wall. At which floor level the renovation? Hacking non-structural wall do not need approval but check the contractor trade qualification. If jiuhu kia Tonychat type be careful.

A structural wall cannot be demolished. Internal staircase or fire staircase? Most fire escape staircase walls are build as structural walls, good luck to the adjoining building if structural defects tumble down the building.

Building plans can be bought from the BCA Dept but that is MYOB, bear with noise.

Hack concrete staircase is a big job and require to demolish the whole concrete and replaced a new one. Yes it need approval before work can start as it affect the structural integrity of the upper floor reinforced steel and the steps. So fast can get approval? PAP is the best.

another question is when mistakes like the above are made, who should be responsible?

or no one is going to admit especially the governing body, to cover their as ses?

with the hacking and drilling going on, when it should not be, an agent just told me that whenever she has brought potential tenants to view i my building, all dont want citing the noise.....

Last edited:

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
FAQ:

Demolish a wall takes 2 weeks is a big job. Must be a big wall. Go take pictures a let us see how long and height of the wall. At which floor level the renovation? Hacking non-structural wall do not need approval but check the contractor trade qualification. If jiuhu kia Tonychat type be careful.

A structural wall cannot be demolished. Internal staircase or fire staircase? Most fire escape staircase walls are build as structural walls, good luck to the adjoining building if structural defects tumble down the building.

Building plans can be bought from the BCA Dept but that is MYOB, bear with noise.

Hack concrete staircase is a big job and require to demolish the whole concrete and replaced a new one. Yes it need approval before work can start as it affect the structural integrity of the upper floor reinforced steel and the steps. So fast can get approval? PAP is the best.

Its the internal stair case wall. what u said is what i am worried about...