• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Opposition parties response to TJS' letter for SFP to meet with them

PoliticalDialogue

Alfrescian
Loyal
Responding to Singaporeans First’s request for a courtesy call to introduce ourselves, the National Solidarity Party invited us to their office in Jalan Besar on Saturday 4 October 2014. There were four of us from SingFirst namely Fahmi Rais, David Foo, Loke Pak Hoe and me.

SingFirst Chairman Dr Ang Yong Guan could not attend as he was not feeling well that day (not to worry, he is hale and hearty now, his usual self). On NSP’s side were Sebastian Teo, Jeannette Chong-Aruldoss, Steve Chia and Syafarin.

The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed. Both parties expressed the desire to cooperate with each other in the coming general election.

Four other opposition parties have responded to our request for a courtesy call on them. SDA said it would revert in due course while PKMS would “be calling for our Supreme Council meeting to arrange a suitable date and time for your valuable courtesy call”.

DPP leader met up with me for a chat. SDP felt that since I and by extension, Dr Ang as well, were part of SDP previously, it did not see the need for an introductory meeting and extended its very best wishes to us. The Reform Party, Singapore People’s Party and Workers’ Party have not yet replied our letter.

Tan Jee Say
Secretary-General
Singaporeans First

https://www.facebook.com/TanJeeSay

TJS seems to have put out this statement because Netizens asked him to keep them informed of the other parties response to his letter to meet.
For the most part it seems that he and SFP have been given a lukewarm response by the other parties. This is why he really does not have much to report.

To even include the SDP's response, which effectively amounts to a brush off, indicates that TJS does not have much to report. The SDP's response is also ironic. We all recall how Dr Chee and the SDP were attempting to get a positive response from WP to the SDP's attempt to cooperate in the run-up to the Punggol East BE. Dr Chee and the SDP were cold-shouldered by the WP. Now TJS and SFP gets more-of-less the same treatment from SDP. So, a rudimentary political principle is established: a party perceived to be small and weak and needs to lift its profile to have a chance at getting into Parliament requires the assistance of a larger and stronger party to do so. But it is really not in the interest of the larger and stronger party to extend such assistance.

This is what politics is all about.

Equally, the cliche that Netizens often employ that "the enemy of your enemy is my friend" is not simply very cliched but is also illusory; it is not grounded in political realities, and the sooner most people realise that the better. There are more than half-a-dozen, mostly small, non-PAP political parties, and for good reason. If there is unity in purpose then there would not be so many such small political parties.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TJS seems to have put out this statement because Netizens asked him to keep them informed of the other parties response to his letter to meet.
For the most part it seems that he and SFP have been given a lukewarm response by the other parties. This is why he really does not have much to report.

To even include the SDP's response, which effectively amounts to a brush off, indicates that TJS does not have much to report. The SDP's response is also ironic. We all recall how Dr Chee and the SDP were attempting to get a positive response from WP to the SDP's attempt to cooperate in the run-up to the Punggol East BE. Dr Chee and the SDP were cold-shouldered by the WP. Now TJS and SFP gets more-of-less the same treatment from SDP. So, a rudimentary political principle is established: a party perceived to be small and weak and needs to lift its profile to have a chance at getting into Parliament requires the assistance of a larger and stronger party to do so. But it is really not in the interest of the larger and stronger party to extend such assistance.

This is what politics is all about.

Equally, the cliche that Netizens often employ that "the enemy of your enemy is my friend" is not simply very cliched but is also illusory; it is not grounded in political realities, and the sooner most people realise that the better. There are more than half-a-dozen, mostly small, non-PAP political parties, and for good reason. If there is unity in purpose then there would not be so many such small political parties.

I would have felt an introductory meeting can help cement SDP's knowledge of SF's future plans and also to meet other members who were not ex-members of SDP. These 2 factors cannot be determined by just knowing the 2 former members in person.

WP and SPP would of course spurn such a meeting totally because it has always been their approach. As I said before to proponents of the non-WP opposition camps like yellowarse and methinks - you either don't accept opposition unity or make a pretense of accepting it. I would less prefer handing my livelihood to pretenders.

Last edited:

PoliticalDialogue

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would have felt an introductory meeting can help cement SDP's knowledge of SF's future plans and also to meet other members who were not ex-members of SDP. These 2 factors cannot be determined by just knowing the 2 former members in person.

WP and SPP would of course spurn such a meeting totally because it has always been their approach. As I said before to proponents of the non-WP opposition camps like yellowarse and methinks - you either don't accept opposition unity or make a pretense of accepting it. I would less prefer handing my livelihood to pretenders.

In the run-up to GE2011 it seems SDP was one of the few parties (perhaps the only one) that was prepared to give TJS an existing party ticket to stand on.
In consequence, he gained some public profile, i.e., due to the SDP offering him and AYG slots in a GRC team. It also seems that SDP's generosity to him extended into the presidential election when it was seen that some SDP members were unofficially at the forefront helping TJS in his campaign. I can understand if there is now a reluctance by some (though not all) SDP members to continue with the interaction.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the run-up to GE2011 it seems SDP was one of the few parties (perhaps the only one) that was prepared to give TJS an existing party ticket to stand on.
In consequence, he gained some public profile, i.e., due to the SDP offering him and AYG slots in a GRC team. It also seems that SDP's generosity to him extended into the presidential election when it was seen that some SDP members were unofficially at the forefront helping TJS in his campaign. I can understand if there is now a reluctance by some (though not all) SDP members to continue with the interaction.

More of a win win for both TJS and Sdp as getting candidate of such calibre help to create an illusion that the party is progressing while giving TJS a platform to raise his personal profile.

When Sdp tried to organize an 'opposition conversation' roundatable in 2012, the overtures was snubbed by all parties. WP didn't even respond. Later when TJS called for greater opposition cooperation, what he get was some politically correct responses from various parties. it didn't go beyond rhetoric .

Both incidents seem to suggest that csj and TJS are competitor in their quest to establish themselves as the de facto opposition leader. But it not going to cut any ice with anyone as both characters lack charisma, legitimacy and relevance without a single seat in parliament.

Also both SDP and SFP seems to be on a collision course if the latter decided to contest in TP GRC and HBT GRC. I don't see any reason for SDP to do sfp any favor by lifting their profile. Chances of SDP engaging in a 3cf with SFP is much greater than with WP whose activities mainly focus in the eastern part of the island.

Last edited:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

NSP was also willing to give TJS the platform but he did not want to contest NSP's targets which he said were helmed by ministers whom he was friends with.

When Sdp tried to organize an 'opposition conversation' roundatable in 2012, the overtures was snubbed by all parties. WP didn't even respond. Later when TJS called for greater opposition cooperation, what he get was some politically correct responses from various parties. it didn't go beyond rhetoric .

SF's method of private dialogues is more palatable than SDP's forum. At that time, I was wonder what has a forum to do with opposition unity.

Also both SDP and SFP seems to be on a collision course if the latter decided to contest in TP GRC and HBT GRC. I don't see any reason for SDP to do sfp any favor by lifting their profile. Chances of SDP engaging in a 3cf with SFP is much greater than with WP whose activities mainly focus in the eastern part of the island.

SDP and SF would inadvertently clash in similar fashion as SPP and DPP because they are split-aways. But each will work something out because they all do not have that many candidates (the more the parties, the small the pool each has).

PoliticalDialogue

Alfrescian
Loyal
NSP was also willing to give TJS the platform but he did not want to contest NSP's targets which he said were helmed by ministers whom he was friends with.

Indeed, that was TJS' rationalisation in the run-up to GE2011 for his decision to stand on the SDP ticket. Maybe that was the case. I note that he gave the same rationalisation for not standing as a WP candidate in the same GE. Subsequently, however, he disclosed that insofar as WP was concerned it did not take new members at short notice.

It is wise to take statements by politicians with a pinch of salt.

SockPuppet

Alfrescian
Loyal

This TJS really said that he was friends with some ministers that that was why he did not contest under NSP banner?