• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kee Chiu on LPA: Up to individual to decide if family members should be told

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...ual-decide-if-family-members-should-be?page=1

SINGAPORE - It is up to individuals to decide if they want to inform their relatives when and whom they appoint to take care of their welfare and financial affairs under the Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA), said Minister for Social and Family Development Chan Chun Sing on Tuesday.

He was responding to questions raised by Aljunied GRC MP Sylvia Lim, who pressed him on whether there are enough safeguards for the LPA scheme, which allows a person aged at least 21 to appoint another to make key decisions should he or she lose the mental ability to do so. She asked why an option informing other persons about the setting up of an LPA was removed this year.

Mr Chan replied that it was removed in response to feedback from applicants who called for the process to be streamlined. He added that the current system allows individuals to decide who they would like to inform when they appoint a donee under the LPA. "Not everyone wants to inform certain family members of their decision and that is the dilemma. We leave it to the best judgment of the individual to inform the person that they want to inform," he said.

Currently, the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG), which maintains the LPA registry, can investigate cases if the donee is suspected of not acting in the best interests of the applicant. The Public Guardian can then apply to the court to revoke the LPA. In Parliament, Mr Chan also stressed that the LPA system here is "much more onerous" than that of other countries. In some other countries, for example, a person does not need a professional to certify the setting up of an LPA. In Singapore, all LPA applications have to be witnessed and certified by a lawyer, medical practitioner or psychiatrist.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ask a silly question, you should expect a silly answer.

Might as well dun ask.

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMHO, when the donee is a local, I agree that it's up to individuals to decide if family members should be told.

But, if the donee is a foreigner, PR or new citizen, better the family members be informed as a safeguard!!

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ask a silly question, you should expect a silly answer.

Might as well dun ask.

I think she does not want to sound reactionary. The issue arises because a crook has made a small fortune out of a new legislation that has no proper safeguards.

What do you think should have been asked instead?

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think she does not want to sound reactionary. The issue arises because a crook has made a small fortune out of a new legislation that has no proper safeguards.

What do you think should have been asked instead?

Well, ask about our CPF and ask, ask and ask again. Why ask about LDP when clearly this is a private arrangement between the donor and donee when someone is NOT of mental incapacitated at the point of nomination. The safeguards must be at the medical level, meaning at least 2 medical practitioners must certify the donor is of sound mind when entering into such an arrangement. The lawyer can be a witness but not the one certifying the arrangement, but then again, why do we need a lawyer to be a witness, because a qualified staff from the OPD should be the witness, as the document originates from there.

There is no need for the option to inform other persons or family members. As the OPD, it should make the registry data public for those who wish to do a search, so that in the event a transaction or nomination to some insurance is made, someone can do a search of the registry and this search should be free and not end up becoming a revenue generating piece of shit, like all other searches and the whole fucking thing becomes a bureaucratic mountain, subject to the vague terms and condition of the service provider, in most case, Crimson Logic, another crony crook.

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What a caring candidate :rolleyes:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zQ9fHdAi6rQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
A un-related foreigner can get LPA without any of the family members approval, what a joke! Many foreigner scumbags will come to exploit this loop hole. FAP's laws tend to be outsiders friendly, own people stringent.

rover2sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have just completed our family LPA. We consulted each other, but if the done is not related to us and if I am not of sound mind how on earth will the other members of the family be aware of my intention.

The point is not having the family or relative approval but informing them so that they can tell the Public Guardian Authority if they have any reason to suspect illegal authorization.

The Minister's answer is really silly to the point of ignorance.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A un-related foreigner can get LPA without any of the family members approval, what a joke! Many foreigner scumbags will come to exploit this loop hole. FAP's laws tend to be outsiders friendly, own people stringent.
it seems anyone can get LPA if you suck up enough......

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have just completed our family LPA. We consulted each other, but if the done is not related to us and if I am not of sound mind how on earth will the other members of the family be aware of my intention.

The point is not having the family or relative approval but informing them so that they can tell the Public Guardian Authority if they have any reason to suspect illegal authorization.

The Minister's answer is really silly to the point of ignorance.

I kee chiu!

The LPA need to cover Fraud Prevention, Fraud Detection, Fraud Correction! The first cover is missing, and he just brush it off!

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
the law isvery good for sucker uppers to gain control thru LPA and then very hard to penalise them

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
the law isvery good for sucker uppers to gain control thru LPA and then very hard to penalise them

The speed of the remedial action is yet to be determined, but they better move fast, as the ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) Suzuki Cup Group B matches are due to start in November. At least faster than the law is catching up with the synthetic tour guide from China. It must be coincident, the Yang Yin affair - specifically why an option to inform others when applying for an LPA was removed from the form last month - and now the Sports Hub flare up, has something to do with the general who is suspiciously quiet. Not the one who condemned heckling of special needs children as "Vile. Total and absolute disgrace." The other one.

sucker upper Turf, sucker lower LPA!
Two sucker hands kee chiu!
Fooking fook up and down!