• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Heard from my SPF kaki that sidearm Taurus Model 85 will be replaced

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I was chatting with an old buddy about their sidearm. Seems like it is going to be replaced in the near future. It seems the rank and file and even the middle level SPF personnel have no idea why this revolver was chosen in 2002 to replace the Smith and Wesson .38. From what my buddy at SPF said, they were going from a 6 shot S & W .38 revolver with a proven track record in many law enforcement agencies to a 5 shot .38 revolver from a Brazilian company that is not very well known and is hardly proven in the international firearms market. In fact, the Taurus Model 85 used by the SPF is the only customer for Taurus for this revolver. No other country in the world, and not even the Brazilian govt. ordered the Model 85 for their own personnel. Singapore was the one and only customer for this gun!! In the US, the Taurus subsidiary markets this gun for women as a concealed weapon in their purses. In the US, this gun retails for over USD$450 each.

Most law enforcement agencies went from a revolver to a semi automatic handgun. For example, the RCMP in Canada went from a S & W .38 revolver to a S & W 9mm Model 5946 15 shot semi automatic. In singapore, this did not happen. There is a story somewhere hidden about the tender put out for this weapon. I can't believe that the SPF did not specify a semi automatic whether its in the 9mm, .45in, or even .38 calibre. And if they did want to stay with a revolver, why did they not specify a 6 shooter? There are many modern 6 shot pistols around and many support accessories like speed loaders are designed for 6 shooters. In fact, its rare to find a 5 shooter like the Taurus anywhere. CPIB should investigate the tendering and awarding of the contract for this weapon. Some higher up at SPF probably got a few free trips to Rio and some bribe money. Unless its scholars with no field experience trying to wayang.

I hope this time that the right sidearm will be chosen. And may it be a semi automatic for sure. The LI riots show that if you have to shoot apuneh rioters, 5 shots is just not enough. a large capacity 15 round mag on a semi will wipe out many more rioters.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
should replace with nerf guns instead.....the police dont have the balls to use it anyway......maximum restraint is their motto.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I was in Edmonton a few years ago the police there were carrying Glocks. I think they were the Glock 22.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone knows there is no corruption, no cronyism in Singapore. You have nothing to worry about.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
should replace with nerf guns instead.....the police dont have the balls to use it anyway......maximum restraint is their motto.

They should be equipped only with hush language and a fast pair of track shoes. A heavy semi-auto and 2 clips will only slow them down when they run away.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
they're better off with the colt as the colt runs faster than the taurus. a toy colt will do as they don't fire a single shot, except to blow their own brains out.

youth123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was chatting with an old buddy about their sidearm. Seems like it is going to be replaced in the near future. It seems the rank and file and even the middle level SPF personnel have no idea why this revolver was chosen in 2002 to replace the Smith and Wesson .38. From what my buddy at SPF said, they were going from a 6 shot S & W .38 revolver with a proven track record in many law enforcement agencies to a 5 shot .38 revolver from a Brazilian company that is not very well known and is hardly proven in the international firearms market. In fact, the Taurus Model 85 used by the SPF is the only customer for Taurus for this revolver. No other country in the world, and not even the Brazilian govt. ordered the Model 85 for their own personnel. Singapore was the one and only customer for this gun!! In the US, the Taurus subsidiary markets this gun for women as a concealed weapon in their purses. In the US, this gun retails for over USD$450 each.

Most law enforcement agencies went from a revolver to a semi automatic handgun. For example, the RCMP in Canada went from a S & W .38 revolver to a S & W 9mm Model 5946 15 shot semi automatic. In singapore, this did not happen. There is a story somewhere hidden about the tender put out for this weapon. I can't believe that the SPF did not specify a semi automatic whether its in the 9mm, .45in, or even .38 calibre. And if they did want to stay with a revolver, why did they not specify a 6 shooter? There are many modern 6 shot pistols around and many support accessories like speed loaders are designed for 6 shooters. In fact, its rare to find a 5 shooter like the Taurus anywhere. CPIB should investigate the tendering and awarding of the contract for this weapon. Some higher up at SPF probably got a few free trips to Rio and some bribe money. Unless its scholars with no field experience trying to wayang.

I hope this time that the right sidearm will be chosen. And may it be a semi automatic for sure. The LI riots show that if you have to shoot apuneh rioters, 5 shots is just not enough. a large capacity 15 round mag on a semi will wipe out many more rioters.

The previous S&W .38 pistol was also 5 bullets only...where got 6 rounds???

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The pistol Police used before they switched to Smith and Wesson
Webley-Mk-IV-p1030100.jpg

The Wembley