• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Joseph Schooling's mum live in SG for over 30 years but chose to remain a PR

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My boy Joseph is a true son of Singapore, says Colin Schooling

PUBLISHED ON SEP 29, 2014 9:42 AM
17.1K9800PRINTEMAIL

<iframe width="640" height="365" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7EPYJuUAhdw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; line-height: 1; font-family: inherit; background: transparent;"></iframe>

Incheon - Talk of Joseph Schooling being a "foreign talent" still baffles the swimmer and his parents Colin and May.

Tell that to Colin and he will quickly rebut in Malay: "Nama saya Colin Schooling. Anak berna Singapura." ("My name is Colin Schooling, true son of Singapore.")

The 66-year-old businessman was born in Singapore and is fluent in English, Malay and Hokkien.

May, 59, a Chinese who hails from Ipoh in Malaysia, is a Singapore permanent resident and has lived here for over 30 years.

Joseph Schooling with his parents Colin and May after he won Singapore's first gold medal in the 17th Asian Games Incheon 2014 Men's 100m butterfly event. -- ST PHOTO: NEO XIAOBIN

Said Colin: "My grandfather was an officer in the British army. He came from England and married a local Portuguese-Eurasian.

"But I was born here, so was my father. I see these comments many times on Internet forums. They say Joseph's father is an ang moh.

"I say, don't forget Eurasians are part of the Singapore population.

"The most important thing is we know who we are and what we are."

Joseph - his only child - was also born in Singapore.

The former Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) student left for the United States five years ago at 14 to pursue his dream of winning a medal at the 2016 Olympics.

Said Joseph: "It used to bother me. I see it sometimes on Facebook. I used to get p****d but now I ignore them.

"They are just keyboard warriors so I just tune it out.

"I'm just glad to get the opportunity to do my country proud," added the swimmer who bagged one gold, one silver and one bronze in the Incheon Asiad.

Indeed, other than speaking with an American accent, an inevitable by-product of spending five years in the States, there is little to suggest that Joseph is not Singaporean.

And after hanging out with his team-mates for a few days in Incheon, bits of Singlish crept into his conversations.

"Hurry up, lah," he told Teo Zhen Ren, who had asked Joseph to take a picture of him in the Munhak Park Tae Hwan Aquatics Centre last Friday after the swimming meet ended.

As for the Schooling name, Colin said it originated from the Mecklenburg region in Germany and was originally spelt Schilling.

He had traced his lineage back to 1172 and said: "My great-great-grandparents were artisans to the British royal family.

"And after the First World War, due to the anti-German sentiment in England, they changed it to Schooling, the same way Battenberg became Mountbatten."

As for pronunciation, most people say "Schooling" as you would describe someone who is attending school, although some do call them "Shoo-ling".

Said Colin: "It's up to the person who addresses us but we're not too bothered."

Just do not call them ang moh.

Chua Siang Yee

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sp...colin-schooling-20140929#sthash.1vhl2Ll2.dpuf

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dancing near the fucking door is the smartest thing any sinkie can do......only shithole pap hardcore idiots believe that they wont get fucked thoroughly in the end.........

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can a Sporean attend an independant School? Is it something like the American School where Sporeans require special MOE permission?

If his father is a Brit then his son can chose British citizenship. So is this Joseph Schooling liable for NS:confused:

dumbo

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My boy Joseph is a true son of Singapore, says Colin Schooling

Yes, Joseph, ignore all these pap internet brigades, they are out to split and create animosity among trueblue singaporeans.

Last edited by a moderator:

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
The mum will have a lot to say to Joseph now that he has been found to be one of the drunks that sneak out of the Village!!

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If his father is a Brit then his son can chose British citizenship. So is this Joseph Schooling liable for NS:confused:

First of all he is a Singapore citizen, if not he cannot represent Singapore for Asian Game. If he is below 30 years old, he is liable for NS...

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can a Sporean attend an independant School? Is it something like the American School where Sporeans require special MOE permission?

There's a huge difference between independent school and international schools. Singaporeans need permission to study in international schools but not independent school.
Independent schools supposedly offer better programs and therefore charge higher fees. Most kids who attend independent schools do so either because they got scholarship or they can well afford it.
BTW, my kid attended independent school on scholarship.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
First of all he is a Singapore citizen, if not he cannot represent Singapore for Asian Game. If he is below 30 years old, he is liable for NS...

The PRC chinese who were given citizenship to represent Spore are now ex-Sporeans. Being given a Spore citizenship to represent Spore is nothing to be proud off. It is a title of convenience.

This Joseph Schooling is a Sporean in name only & hasn't really undergone the final sacrifice of NS & reservist. Why would he stay until he is 30 years just to do NS:confused: Don't forget that his parents are foreigners.

I have many Singaporean friends who have emigrated with their wives & children before they were 30 & I expect Joseph to do the same.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's a huge difference between independent school and international schools. Singaporeans need permission to study in international schools but not independent school.
Independent schools supposedly offer better programs and therefore charge higher fees. Most kids who attend independent schools do so either because they got scholarship or they can well afford it.

Thanks for clarification. They didn't have independant schools during my time.

In my opinion instead of creating a different categories of schools, they should have improved the existing schools in Spore.
By segmenting students they have created a class structure in Spore. Especially if you need $ to attend these schools..

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
schooling's mum has got it going on....schooling's mum has got it going on.

[video=youtube;dZLfasMPOU4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLfasMPOU4[/video]

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The PRC chinese who were given citizenship to represent Spore are now ex-Sporeans. Being given a Spore citizenship to represent Spore is nothing to be proud off. It is a title of convenience.

What I am trying to said is if you become a Singapore citizen after certain age (30 yrs old yet to confirm) You do not need to sever NS. As for schooling he need to sever NS unless he give up citizenship...

tanakow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought last time international school Singaporean cannot go,. Permission would not be given at all. Who changed it and when?

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Joseph's mum is a clever.

That why she produce a outstanding off spring / elite like Joseph Schooling to win medals for pathetic Singapore. Count yourself blessed, Singaporean !

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
May, 59, a Chinese who hails from Ipoh in Malaysia, is a Singapore permanent resident and has lived here for over 30 years.

why didn't she become a citizen?
not interested in politics?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The father is local born sinkie.
He is local born sinkie liable for NS only deferred to win medals (not 12 years).
He is sinkie.
Mother is PR is not an issue....minister wife also not citizen.
Well done schooling though I heard family is pro pappy (TBC).

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Don't confuse independent school with international school.

Independent School: These are local MOE schools. RI is an independent school. So are Hwa Chong Institution, St Joseph's Institution and ACS (Independent). They are given more autonomy, less govt funding, that's all. No permission needed.

Foreign International School: These are schools like Singapore American School, Canadian International School, United World College. You need permission to enrol your child if he's a citizen and it will only be granted on special grounds, e.g. the child has been schooled in international schools abroad because father is a diplomat who's been posted around the world.

Local International School: There are only 3 right now: ACS International, St Joseph's International, Hwa Chong International School. No permission required but your child must meet entry requirements. Basically for rich kids whose parents can foot the $2,000/mth fees.

Joseph's father is a Singaporean citizen, a local grago. So Joseph is a citizen as well, and he has to serve NS. He was a student of ACS (Independent), no ACS International. His mother's M'sian.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would too if I were her. Who wants to downgrade from a blue IC to a pink IC? :rolleyes:

All of the extra liabilities, none of the benefits.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

Independent School is for the brightest, SG citizens can attend.