• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

#OccupyCentral thread: Give me Liberty or Give me Death!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: China to ban movies featuring hong kong celebrities that support the protest

China and Singapore certainly has much to learn from each other. :wink:

Anything politically inconvenient = ban.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Give me Liberty or Give me Death! Giordano Tycoon joins Occupy Central!

Government source hints at tougher line on Occupy protests if deadlock persists

Hawks may trump doves in debate on tactics to deal with protests if deadlock remains, they say

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 23 October, 2014, 4:48am
UPDATED : Thursday, 23 October, 2014, 11:24am

Gary Cheung, Joyce Ng and Shirley Zhao

oc-day25-mk-st-net.jpg

Police arrest an activist in Mong Kok during Occupy Central movement. Photo: Sam Tsang

Hong Kong's government yesterday increased pressure on Occupy protesters, warning that "hawks" favouring tough action to clear sit-in sites would gain the upper hand if the deadlock between officials and student leaders was not resolved soon.

The warning came a day after unprecedented talks between top officials and student leaders failed to persuade the protesters to end the occupation that has paralysed parts of the city for more than three weeks.

"If the conciliatory approach doesn't work, doves within the government would be sidelined while hawks would gain the upper hand," one person familiar with the situation said.

"We are worried that the administration would eventually use force to disperse protesters and a certain degree of bloodshed would be unavoidable."

Tensions rose at the Occupy protest sites, with a new application for a court order to eject the crowd on Harcourt Road in Admiralty and a man splashing a flammable solvent at Mong Kok protesters.

Neither the government nor the Federation of Students have announced plans to seek a second round of talks to end the protests, triggered by restrictive rules for the 2017 chief executive election laid down by Beijing in August.

Federation leader Alex Chow Yong-kang said his group had not decided whether to seek another meeting.

READ MORE: To view all the latest Occupy Central stories click here

"Officials made half a step and showed they were willing to talk," Chow said. "But unfortunately, they took us nowhere and their ideas offered no fundamental cure for the problems."

In the televised talks, Chief Secretary Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor told students she would consider making a report to the State Council's Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office to reflect the public sentiments during the pro-democracy protests.

But she rejected students' demand that Hong Kong ask the national legislature to withdraw its framework for the 2017 poll, under which the public could vote on two or three candidates who win support from a majority of a 1,200-strong nominating committee. Lam also said a "platform" would be set up to gauge views on further constitutional changes beyond 2017.

A government source questioned the use of further dialogue if students refused to retreat from protest sites, asking: "What can we achieve if student leaders stick to their guns?"

Chinese University vice chancellor Professor Joseph Sung Jao-yiu said he hoped there would be further talks. Sung, who is understood to have communicated closely with the federation leaders, recognised both sides had expressed sincerity and said students were "very mature and well prepared" for the talks.

Executive Councillors Lam Woon-kwong and Fanny Law Fan Chiu-fun also called for further talks.

Separately, China used the visit of jazz star Kenny G to the Admiralty protest site yesterday to reiterate its warning against foreign interference.

"Kenny G's music is popular in China but China's position on the illegal Occupy Central activities in Hong Kong is very clear," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Student, Occupy leaders announce vote on government’s reform proposals

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 23 October, 2014, 11:26pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 23 October, 2014, 11:40pm

Timmy Sung

scmp_21oct14_ns_admiraltytwo3_img_6593a_46286295.jpg

Benny Tai. Photo: K. Y. Cheng

A vote will be carried out on Sunday night at "Umbrella Plaza" in Admiralty to collect protesters’ views on whether they find the government’s offers made at unprecedented talks on Tuesday acceptable, student and Occupy Central leaders announced on Thursday night

The move came as one of Hong Kong’s most respected pan-democrat politicians and an academic close to student leaders urged them to take seriously the government’s offers – to make a report to the State Council’s Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office on sentiments expressed during almost a month of protests that paralysed parts of Hong Kong, and set up a platform on constitutional development.

The National People’s Congress’ Standing Committee set tight limits on the 2017 Chief Executive election and 2016 Legislative Council election in August. The Chinese constitution states that congress is empowered to alter or annul inappropriate decisions of the committee.

The Federation of Students rejected the offer, saying the report should have some influence on the Standing Committee’s decision and that the platform must also discuss the two elections in 2016 and 2017.

The federation proposed the government’s report to reflect the latest public sentiment to the State Council’s Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office should have some influence on the decision by the National People’s Congress. It also wants the proposed platform to discuss political reform would not only discuss election methods beyond 2017.

"We hope to get a stronger endorsement from the people," Occupy Central co-founder Benny Tai Yiu-ting said.

He said the vote will likely to open to only those in Admiralty from 8pm to 11pm on Sunday, as there would be technical difficulties and manpower constraints to make it happen at the same time in the rally sites in Mong Kok and Causeway Bay.

The head of the Federation of Students Alex Chow said: "The vote can quantify people’s demand that the government give us a real response."

Chow said the poll results had nothing to do with the question of whether they should retreat or not.

Tai said the vote, which would be conducted through a mobile phone app running on an intranet, could be done on other issues if the technology runs smoothly on Sunday.

Responding to the move, protester Tom Ma, 23, an IT technician who has been in Mong Kok for two weeks said: "I will go to Admiralty to vote. I guess it works better if the voting station is in Admiralty. Mong Kok is a messy place and some people may come and disrupt the voting"

But protester Leo Lam, 26, who works in mental health counselling, said polling stations needed to be set up in all three occupied areas. "Anything regarding negotiations with the government should clearly reflect the will of protesters in all three districts," said Lam, who has been in Mong Kok for about ten days, he said.

Leo So Hin-fai, an IT professional aged 32 among the crowd in Admiralty, said the vote would be a "democratic exercise" but admitted he did not have high expectations for it. "The ball is now in the government's court. It should be officials to provide a solution."

Protester Stephanie Lam Sien-man, a nurse aged 24, said she did not hold out much hope for the vote because "the government didn't at all react to the June referendum", which drew more than 700,000 voters.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Protesters claim Kenny G did voice support for Occupy, telling them 'hope you guys win eventually'

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 23 October, 2014, 5:38pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 23 October, 2014, 5:44pm

Ng Kang-chung [email protected]

kennygg-net_0.jpg

Kenny G poses with protesters in Admiralty. Photo: Mark Bong

An Occupy Central protester who yesterday witnessed a visit to the Admiralty demonstration zone by saxophonist Kenny G has poured scorn on the jazz-man’s later claim that he did not support the pro-democracy protests.

The witness, who watched as a smiling Kenny G posed for photos with protesters, said he was disappointed that the musician later deleted a tweet wishing “everyone a peaceful and positive conclusion to this situation”, and stating that he was “not supporting” the Occupy cause.

The man, who says he has been camping at the site since September 28 and did not wish to be named, told the South China Morning Post: “It’s a bit disappointing. Kenny G has in effect said that what he told the protesters was not what he meant.

“He said, ‘As an American we take democracy for granted… You guys hang in there. Hope you guys will win eventually.’”

The musician later deleted a tweet showing a picture of his meeting with protesters, in which he made a ‘peace’ sign, after Beijing’s Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying weighed in and warned “foreign governments and individuals [to] speak and act cautiously”.

He then posted a statement on Facebook and over a series of tweets, stating that he was “not trying to defy government orders”.

In the Facebook post he stated: “I was in Hong Kong as a stop on my way to perform at Mission Hills and happened to walk by the protest area as I was walking around Hong Kong as a tourist. Some fans took my picture and it’s unfair that I am being used by anyone to say that I am showing support for the demonstrators.

“I am not supporting the demonstrators as I don’t really know anything about the situation and my impromptu visit to the site was just part of an innocent walk around Hong Kong.

“I only wanted to share my wish for peace for Hong Kong and for all of China as I feel close to and care about China very much,” he concluded. “Please don’t mistake my peace sign for any other sign than a sign for peace.”

The witness, one of several to get close to the sax star, said that while he appreciated that Kenny G may not fully understand the Occupy situation, “Judging from what he told protesters, I would hardly interpret it as him not supporting them. I appreciate he might be under pressure from his agent, but he is a popular and widely-respected musician. His response and the way he handles this is disappointing.”

7sXC7Bu.jpg

He added: “I guess it’s beyond the imagination of all people that such a trivial thing would end up becoming an international issue, that even the Chinese foreign ministry would give comments.”

News of Kenny G's apparent support for the Occupy Central movement had spread quickly on social media and was picked up by several international publications.

The musician is hugely popular in China, where his hit song Going Home is often played by shopping malls and fitness centres to signify to customers that it is time to leave, though he told the New York Times earlier this year that he rarely gets any royalties despite its prevalence.

“Kenny G’s musical works are widely popular in China, but China’s position on the illegal Occupy Central activities in Hong Kong is very clear,” China's Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said in response to a reporter's question during a regular press briefing.

“We hope that foreign governments and individuals speak and act cautiously and not support the Occupy Central and other illegal activities in any form,” she added.

Kenny G recently kicked off a world tour with four concerts in China including one at which he was joined onstage by Jackie Chan, a critic of the protests.

Additional reporting by James Griffiths

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: China blocks bbc website after video shows hong kong police beating protester

Chinese media calls for pro-Occupy celebrities to be banned from mainland

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 23 October, 2014, 5:19pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 23 October, 2014, 6:53pm

Vivienne Chow [email protected]

umbrella-stars.jpg

An author named Wang Mian lambasted singer Denise Ho Wan-see (from left), actors Chapman To Man-chak and Anthony Wong Chau-sang.

The mainland backlash continues against celebrities who have offered support to Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests, with one commentary in state media calling for pro-Occupy performers to be banned and censored from the internet.

After Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying warned American musician Kenny G to keep away from the protests, a commentary in Xinhua condemned Hong Kong celebrities for backing the Umbrella Movement.

An author named Wang Mian lambasted actors Chapman To Man-chak and Anthony Wong Chau-sang, as well as singer Denise Ho Wan-see.

The article said that the stars were “fed” by the mainland market since Hong Kong’s handover in 1997 and that their support for the protests was a betrayal of their “Chinese blood”.

“On the one hand you make a lot of cash, and on the other you turn your head and scold your mother [China]. Is that the right thing to do to the country that feeds you? How could your behaviour be tolerated?” the article reads.

More than 100,000 fans had voted in an online poll to “banish” Hong Kong celebrities who support the protests, the commentary claimed, before calling for a blanket ban on such celebrities performing on the mainland – and even for their names to be censored from the internet.

“Their behaviour angers the public. Hong Kong people do not agree, mainland people do not agree,” it continues.

“Wake up, all Chapman To’s, and look at what Jackie Chan says in his films – only a strong country can give birth to a rich family...Organisers of Occupy protests are mobilising people to take to the streets so that they can receive dirty money from the back door.

“Hong Kong belongs to China, not anyone else,” it adds.

deniseho-sam.jpg

Singer Denise Ho has been a high-profile supporter of the pro-democracy protests. Photo: Sam Tsang

Lyricist Lin Xi, who has addressed protesters in Admiralty and wrote the lyrics for protest song Hold Up Your Umbrella, had a scheduled talk at the China University of Political Science and Law in Beijing cancelled, according to a notice circulated online.

The celebrities, for their part, do not appear overly concerned with the threats. Ho continued to post information and supportive messages about the protests through her social media accounts on Thursday.

Wong said the accusations were out of line, adding that mainlanders who believe they had “fed” him were the ones who should feel ashamed.

“The one who gave birth to me and fed me was my mother. Did you [mainland internet users] pay me to go to school? Did you look after me when I was sick? Did you pay my school fees at the Academy for Performing Arts?” he wrote online.

“I have never made movies paid for by [mainland internet users or newspapers],” he added.

Renowned Japanese musician and composer Ryuichi Sakamoto, who is in New York undergoing cancer treatment, offered his support to Hong Kong students according to US-based Occupy Central solidarity group NY4HK.

But the Foreign Ministry has successfully silenced Kenny G, who removed a photo taken at the Admiralty protest camp from his Twitter account and wrote a long statement declaring his “love for China”.

Protesters in Hong Kong are demanding an open election of the next chief executive, something the central government in Beijing has ruled out.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: China blocks bbc website after video shows hong kong police beating protester

Climbers hang giant banner on Lion Rock calling for real universal suffrage in Hong Kong

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 23 October, 2014, 4:26pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 23 October, 2014, 7:27pm

Clifford Lo and Peter So

lionrock-epa.jpg

Climbers hang a banner reading "I want real universal suffrage" off Lion Rock. Photo: EPA

A group of climbers has hung a huge banner which reads “I want real universal suffrage” from the highest point of Hong Kong’s famous Lion Rock hill.

Soon after the banner, which is four metres wide and 28 metres long, was unfurled, a video appeared on YouTube in which a group calling itself “The Hong Kong Spidie” – after the comic-book hero Spiderman – claimed responsibility for the stunt.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iEQ2rj-7DDE?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

“Today we are occupying Lion Rock,” a man dressed as Spiderman says in the video, adding that that he was shocked to hear Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying’s remarks on Monday that real democracy could not be allowed because poor people would then have too great a voice.

“The chief executive only cares about the rich people living on Victoria Peak…we think the spirit of Lion Rock isn’t just about money,” the man says.

“The people fighting for real universal suffrage all over Hong Kong have shown great perseverance. This kind of fighting against injustice, strength in the face of troubles, is the true Lion Rock spirit.”

lionrock-vincent.jpg

The banner is visible for miles around the hill. Photo: AP

Pro-democracy protesters continue to block main roads in Hong Kong for a fourth straight week. They are calling for an open election of the next chief executive, something the central government in Beijing has ruled out.

Lion Rock is a famous landmark that came to symbolise the tough and persistent spirit of Hongkongers after a popular television series, Below the Lion Rock, which depicted working-class Hong Kong people struggling to overcome hardship.

The group of climbers has called on the government to listen to the voices of Hongkongers, and to stand up to and negotiate with the central government for “true, democratic universal suffrage for Hong Kong”.

The identities of the climbers have yet to be confirmed, but police said they were tipped off about a plan to hang the banner on Thursday morning.

It is believed that the action was planned a week ago and that the climbers spent a few hours this morning carrying out the stunt.

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
UN supports HK protestors!!!

When is UN going to support Ah Roy and HHH?

GENEVA (Reuters) - The United Nations Human Rights Committee called on China on Thursday to ensure universal suffrage in Hong Kong, stressing that included the right to stand for election as well as the right to vote.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Re: UN supports HK protestors!!!

When is UN going to support Ah Roy and HHH?

GENEVA (Reuters) - The United Nations Human Rights Committee called on China on Thursday to ensure universal suffrage in Hong Kong, stressing that included the right to stand for election as well as the right to vote.

Singapore already enjoys universal suffrage so there is nothing to protest about. No UN support is necessary for an issue that does not even exist.

Anyone can stand for election in Singapore. They don't have to be pre approved by any higher order. That's why clowns like Chee Soon Juan and Low Thia Khiang emerge from the woodwork every 5 years.

Pfizer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: China to ban movies featuring hong kong celebrities that support the protest

Protesters claim Kenny G did voice support for Occupy, telling them 'hope you guys win eventually'

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 23 October, 2014, 5:38pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 23 October, 2014, 5:44pm

Ng Kang-chung
[email protected]

kennygg-net_0.jpg

Kenny G poses with protesters in Admiralty. Photo: Mark Bong

An Occupy Central protester who yesterday witnessed a visit to the Admiralty demonstration zone by saxophonist Kenny G has poured scorn on the jazz-man’s later claim that he did not support the pro-democracy protests.

The witness, who watched as a smiling Kenny G posed for photos with protesters, said he was disappointed that the musician later deleted a tweet wishing “everyone a peaceful and positive conclusion to this situation”, and stating that he was “not supporting” the Occupy cause.

The man, who says he has been camping at the site since September 28 and did not wish to be named, told the South China Morning Post: “It’s a bit disappointing. Kenny G has in effect said that what he told the protesters was not what he meant.

“He said, ‘As an American we take democracy for granted… You guys hang in there. Hope you guys will win eventually.’”

The musician later deleted a tweet showing a picture of his meeting with protesters, in which he made a ‘peace’ sign, after Beijing’s Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying weighed in and warned “foreign governments and individuals [to] speak and act cautiously”.

He then posted a statement on Facebook and over a series of tweets, stating that he was “not trying to defy government orders”.

In the Facebook post he stated: “I was in Hong Kong as a stop on my way to perform at Mission Hills and happened to walk by the protest area as I was walking around Hong Kong as a tourist. Some fans took my picture and it’s unfair that I am being used by anyone to say that I am showing support for the demonstrators.

“I am not supporting the demonstrators as I don’t really know anything about the situation and my impromptu visit to the site was just part of an innocent walk around Hong Kong.

“I only wanted to share my wish for peace for Hong Kong and for all of China as I feel close to and care about China very much,” he concluded. “Please don’t mistake my peace sign for any other sign than a sign for peace.”

The witness, one of several to get close to the sax star, said that while he appreciated that Kenny G may not fully understand the Occupy situation, “Judging from what he told protesters, I would hardly interpret it as him not supporting them. I appreciate he might be under pressure from his agent, but he is a popular and widely-respected musician. His response and the way he handles this is disappointing.”

7sXC7Bu.jpg

He added: “I guess it’s beyond the imagination of all people that such a trivial thing would end up becoming an international issue, that even the Chinese foreign ministry would give comments.”

News of Kenny G's apparent support for the Occupy Central movement had spread quickly on social media and was picked up by several international publications.

The musician is hugely popular in China, where his hit song Going Home is often played by shopping malls and fitness centres to signify to customers that it is time to leave, though he told the New York Times earlier this year that he rarely gets any royalties despite its prevalence.

“Kenny G’s musical works are widely popular in China, but China’s position on the illegal Occupy Central activities in Hong Kong is very clear,” China's Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said in response to a reporter's question during a regular press briefing.

“We hope that foreign governments and individuals speak and act cautiously and not support the Occupy Central and other illegal activities in any form,” she added.

Kenny G recently kicked off a world tour with four concerts in China including one at which he was joined onstage by Jackie Chan, a critic of the protests.

Additional reporting by James Griffiths

Pfizer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chinese media calls for pro-Occupy celebrities to be banned from mainland

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 23 October, 2014, 5:19pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 23 October, 2014, 6:53pm

Vivienne Chow
[email protected]

umbrella-stars.jpg

An author named Wang Mian lambasted singer Denise Ho Wan-see (from left), actors Chapman To Man-chak and Anthony Wong Chau-sang.

The mainland backlash continues against celebrities who have offered support to Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests, with one commentary in state media calling for pro-Occupy performers to be banned and censored from the internet.

After Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying warned American musician Kenny G to keep away from the protests, a commentary in Xinhua condemned Hong Kong celebrities for backing the Umbrella Movement.

An author named Wang Mian lambasted actors Chapman To Man-chak and Anthony Wong Chau-sang, as well as singer Denise Ho Wan-see.

The article said that the stars were “fed” by the mainland market since Hong Kong’s handover in 1997 and that their support for the protests was a betrayal of their “Chinese blood”.

“On the one hand you make a lot of cash, and on the other you turn your head and scold your mother [China]. Is that the right thing to do to the country that feeds you? How could your behaviour be tolerated?” the article reads.

More than 100,000 fans had voted in an online poll to “banish” Hong Kong celebrities who support the protests, the commentary claimed, before calling for a blanket ban on such celebrities performing on the mainland – and even for their names to be censored from the internet.

“Their behaviour angers the public. Hong Kong people do not agree, mainland people do not agree,” it continues.

“Wake up, all Chapman To’s, and look at what Jackie Chan says in his films – only a strong country can give birth to a rich family...Organisers of Occupy protests are mobilising people to take to the streets so that they can receive dirty money from the back door.

“Hong Kong belongs to China, not anyone else,” it adds.

deniseho-sam.jpg

Singer Denise Ho has been a high-profile supporter of the pro-democracy protests. Photo: Sam Tsang

Lyricist Lin Xi, who has addressed protesters in Admiralty and wrote the lyrics for protest song Hold Up Your Umbrella, had a scheduled talk at the China University of Political Science and Law in Beijing cancelled, according to a notice circulated online.

The celebrities, for their part, do not appear overly concerned with the threats. Ho continued to post information and supportive messages about the protests through her social media accounts on Thursday.

Wong said the accusations were out of line, adding that mainlanders who believe they had “fed” him were the ones who should feel ashamed.

“The one who gave birth to me and fed me was my mother. Did you [mainland internet users] pay me to go to school? Did you look after me when I was sick? Did you pay my school fees at the Academy for Performing Arts?” he wrote online.

“I have never made movies paid for by [mainland internet users or newspapers],” he added.

Renowned Japanese musician and composer Ryuichi Sakamoto, who is in New York undergoing cancer treatment, offered his support to Hong Kong students according to US-based Occupy Central solidarity group NY4HK.

But the Foreign Ministry has successfully silenced Kenny G, who removed a photo taken at the Admiralty protest camp from his Twitter account and wrote a long statement declaring his “love for China”.

Protesters in Hong Kong are demanding an open election of the next chief executive, something the central government in Beijing has ruled out.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Maybe those 3rd world chinks should ban all HK movies because all the stars support the protest..

Keep on doing that chinks.. let the world look down on you.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

lianbeng welcomes n supports those hk celebs for protests against CCPigs! :biggrin:

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Spat at, insulted, but still doing their duty: policewomen tell their stories

Service on front lines tougher than it looks, say policewomen say; verbal and physical assaults, 20-hour shifts and public enmity all take a toll

PUBLISHED : Friday, 24 October, 2014, 6:30am
UPDATED : Friday, 24 October, 2014, 7:53am

Shirley Zhao [email protected]

policewomen-2-r-net2.jpg

A policewoman tries to stop an anti-Occupy protester from breaking a police cordon to charge at pro-democracy protesters during a confrontation in Hong Kong on October 13, 2014. Photo: Reuters

Two policewomen say they have withstood verbal and physical insults during the last three weeks while working up to 20-hour shifts policing the Occupy protests. Male officers have suffered the same abuse, they say.

"Sometimes we feel really angry, but we have to suppress our emotions because this is our job and we have the duty to see it through," said one sergeant named Joanne.

Joanne belongs to a 27-member all-woman special team charged with clearing barricades set up by Occupy protesters. They also handle female demonstrators.

She said she had never seen protesters - especially those in Mong Kok - "so fierce" in her 24 years on the force.

"What you see on TV is totally different from what you truly experience at the scene," she said. "Protesters in Mong Kok are more complicated and harder to handle than [you] imagine. No matter man or woman, they all throw obscene language about your families at you. Sometimes they spit on you."

Joanne's husband is also a frontline police officer at Occupy. She said that one day when her husband, who was in uniform, was walking towards an MTR station with several uniformed colleagues, someone suddenly slapped the back of his head. The officers arrested the man for attacking police. Joanne said she did not understand why people had to attack officers when they were only doing their jobs.

Joanne said that one week she worked seven days straight, 12 to 20 hours a day. She and her husband barely saw each other, as they worked different shifts.

Teresa, a chief inspector and frontline commander at the protests, said television viewers couldn't always see from the footage whether protesters had moved forward towards police when there were clashes.

She said many colleagues who were injured would not see a doctor because they did not want to take sick leave.

"They are willing to work non-stop because they don't want their brothers and sisters [colleagues] to have to take on additional work," she said.

Both officers were speaking in interviews arranged by the police force.

Police salary scales were recently posted online, prompting criticism that officers were complaining while earning handsome sums. The salaries shown ranged from HK$19,545 to HK$230,550 a month.

"Salary is one of the reasons, but we are not working so hard only for the salaries," said Teresa. "When you are sworn at so much every day, when your family [is] so worried about you, if there was no other reason [for it], you wouldn't keep doing the job."

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

As rulers of such a big country, the ruling Communist Party should just not react to events taking place and keep quiet. By reacting and speaking against it, only shows their insecurity and pettiness.

Cheers!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

are they going to ban him too? :confused: :p

image.jpg

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

As rulers of such a big country, the ruling Communist Party should just not react to events taking place and keep quiet. By reacting and speaking against it, only shows their insecurity and pettiness.

Cheers!

lianbeng replies: tualingkong should come rolling down lah! :biggrin:

Lordshiva

Alfrescian
Loyal

ban first talk later......

that fucking one trick pony cocksucker jackie chan not scared they fucking execute his wastrel drug trafficking son?

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Occupy protests must end - but Beijing won't use force, says ex-HK leader Tung Chee-hwa

PUBLISHED : Friday, 24 October, 2014, 1:58pm
UPDATED : Friday, 24 October, 2014, 7:38pm

Gary Cheung [email protected]

tung-oct24.jpg

Former Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa meets the media at the Office of Former Chief Executives in Central. Photo: Felix Wong

Beijing will not use military force to disperse Occupy Central protesters as it is adamant that the Hong Kong police is capable of handling the pro-democracy protests, the city’s first chief executive said on Friday.

But Tung Chee-hwa called on protesters to end the occupation as it had caused a very negative impact on Hong Kong’s economy, people’s livelihood, the rule of law and had torn the community apart.

“The occupation is approaching one month and now it’s the time to end it,” he said, adding that he was worried that the civil disobedience movement was spinning out of control.

“The rule of law is the cornerstone of Hong Kong’s success. We can’t violate the rule of law while pursuing democracy,” Tung said.

It was the first time he met the media since the Occupy Central began on September 28, and the second press conference he held since early last month.

Tung issued a statement on October 5 urging students to leave protest sites, but he did not meet the media. The pro-democracy demonstrations have lasted for 27 days.

“I met Chief Executive Leung Chun-Ying recently and I know he want a peaceful solution to the Occupy Central,” said Tung, who is also vice-chairman of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference.

Asked whether the central government had issued any instruction to the Hong Kong government on how to handle the protests, he said: “The [People's Liberation Army] won’t be sent to streets in Hong Kong. I have full confidence in Hong Kong police to handle the protests and he continues to do so.”

Asked whether it was the central government’s position, he said: “yes”.

“I want to say some words to students taking part in Occupy Central: your aspirations have been heard and I fully understand what you are fighting for,” Tung said.

“But you should understand that the public nomination of candidates for the 2017 chief executive election goes against the Basic Law and the decision of the National People’s Congress Standing Committee. It can’t be achieved.”

The former shipping tycoon said he understood that bookings at local hotels had plunged by 20 to 30 per cent in recent weeks while overall credit-card spending had also dropped by similar proportion.

“It’s the fourth quarter when companies start deliberating pay rises and hiring. In the light of uncertainty arising from the Occupy Central, they may wait and see. Foreign companies may also hold back their decisions to set up offices and make investments in Hong Kong,” Tung said.

“The negative impact of the Occupy Central will go beyond our imagination,” he said.

He added that the protests had unavoidably adversely affected relationship between Hong Kong and the mainland.

He said he was glad that student leaders and government officials started the talk on Tuesday and hope the dialogue would continue.

“In civilised societies, conflicts are resolved through dialogue, not in streets. Students should not use the occupation as bargaining chips for negotiation with the government,” Tung said.

Lee Yu-hin, a 54-year-old man who has been taking part in the protests on and off since late September, said Tung was just repeating the official line. "People won’t listen to what he said. CY Leung is the only person who can end this by stepping down," Lee said.

Tam Yiu-chung, chairman of the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong, the largest pro-Beijing party in the city, said he believed James Tien's call was a result of his poor relationship with Leung.

"Everyone knows James Tien does not like Leung Chun-ying all along. It is not surprising for him to make such a call when there is an opportunity," Tam said.

James Tien was a supporter of Leung's rival Henry Tang Ying-yen in the chief executive race two years ago.