• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

#OccupyCentral thread: Give me Liberty or Give me Death!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Hong Kong Occupy Protest rears its NWO Satanic 666 hand signal...

7nauJ6r.png

Just because a country is number in economy, the rest of the world has to bowed to it and whatever it says , the world must follow???

Just because their economy is number one?? where the fuck did he get that from??

just because chink china economy is number, and if they want to restrict human rights, the world must bow to it????

if you are so slave to money, you mean the world must behave like that??? must be a sinkie low life shit from PAP.. only low life speaks like that

BY the way , it is not spelled as "looser", it is loser.

looser is meant by the description of your anus which is being screwed by your PAP master daily.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Hong Kong Occupy Protest rears its NWO Satanic 666 hand signal...

just love to see human beings full of balls.

just look at the courage on their faces!!!!

DianWei

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Give me Liberty or Give me Death! Giordano Tycoon joins Occupy Central!

OCCUPY CENTRAL - DAY 16: Full coverage of the day’s events

PUBLISHED : Monday, 13 October, 2014, 7:42am
UPDATED : Monday, 13 October, 2014, 8:09pm

Staff reporters

admiralty-oct13-dickson-b.jpg

Anti-Occupy protesters clash with police in Admiralty. Photo: Dickson Lee

Good afternoon and welcome to our ongoing coverage of Hong Kong's Occupy movement.

Chaotic scenes unfolded in Admiralty this afternoon when a mob of masked men, who appeared to be working in tandem with taxi drivers and truck drivers, removed barricades in Queensway and Cotton Tree Drive as dozens of anti-Occupy protesters gathered in the area.

Scuffles broke out when some of the masked men cut the plastic cable ties connecting barriers on Queensway and confronted Occupy protesters.

5.03pm: Crowd estimates:

Admiralty: 500, including about 70 on Queensway

Mong Kok: 80 protesters and more than 150 bystanders

The atmosphere is tense in Mong Kok, where anti-Occupy protesters far outnumber Occupy supporters.

The anti-Occupy groups are hanging around in the protest site, berating protesters. “In other words, the Occupy area has been occupied by the anti-Occupy people,” a Post reporter at the site says.

altal22jihv01uhr2hfgjss_xcq81a8gnrs4-si1mgqd5wn.jpg

A sea of tents in Admiralty. Photo: Kathy Gao

5pm: Despite all the rebuilding work going on, police say they will soon remove roadblocks on Yee Wo Street and Queensway.

Three men aged between 18 and 47 have been arrested so far in connection with the Admiralty chaos this afternoon on suspicion of possession of dangerous weapons and common assault.

4.55pm: Jimmy Lai Chee-ying, chairman of the Next Media conglomerate, may seek a court injunction to stop protesters from blocking operations at his flagship newspaper, Apple Daily, according to a report on the publication's website.

4.50pm: Mr Chan, an elderly man who once took part in building the study corner on Harcourt Road, is now helping Occupy protesters to strengthen the barricades on Queensway.

Protesters remind each other to wear a face mask when building barricades to avoid being identified by police.

untitled_2.png

Mr Chan helps build barricades. Photo: Jeffie Lam

4.45pm: Here’s some video footage of the chaotic scenes in Admiralty earlier this afternoon:

4.40pm: The number of protesters continues to grow at Admiralty as secondary school pupils arrive after classes finish.

The youngsters are joined by 69-year-old Liu Zhengru, who says he migrated to Hong Kong from the mainland 35 years ago to escape Communist Party rule.

"I'm here to show my support for students," Liu says, before describing his life on the mainland. "It was terrible. Living was even worse than death. I was determined to leave," he says.

"I really admire the students. They are Hong Kong's hope.”

4.30pm: The sound of hammer on wood echoes through the bus terminal next to the Lippo Centre in Admiralty, as protesters use discarded wooden boards and carpets to rebuild barricades.

img_1436.jpg

Protesters build reinforcements. Photo: Alan Yu

4.25pm:
Occupy protesters have built new, stronger barriers on Queensway next to Rodney Street after truck drivers removed barricades earlier.

The protesters have also set up a supplies station and moved more tents from Harcourt Road to Queensway.

oc-day16-recycle-bar.jpg

Rebuilding begins at the protest site in Admiralty. Photo: SCMP Pictures

imag1e.jpeg

Tents have been pitched on Queensway. Photo: Jeffie Lam

image_4.jpeg

New barricades are up on Queensway outside Pacific Place in Admiralty. Photo: Jeffie Lam

4.10pm: Scholarism call on Occupy supporters to reinforce the protest sites at Admiralty, Causeway Bay and Mong Kok and bring with them large objects to strength the roadblocks.

The group also accuses police of "indulging" anti-Occupiers in their forceful removal of barricades set up by protesters and of applying "double standards".

"Police indulged the anti-Occupiers in making the damage. This stands in stark contrast to how they dealt with peaceful Occupy protesters earlier on," a statement says.

"Police's attitude towards the incident will only make people lose confidence in them."

4.06pm: Here's Occupy Central's statement in full on the anti-Occupy demonstrators attempts to clear barricades this afternoon, and police efforts to remove a number of barriers earlier today:

Occupy Central with Love and Peace (OCLP) regrets the police’s removal of some of the barricades set up by the occupy movement this morning. At around noon dozens of masked men then forcefully removed blockades in the Admiralty occupied zone. OCLP condemns these violent actions. We urge the police to enforce the law and prevent certain people from damaging peaceful occupy movement, and avoid any suspicion that the government may be trying to use the masses to attack the masses.

Two weeks have elapsed since the occupy movement made its presence felt, but the administration has produced no serious responses. There is no attempt at accountability for the violent clearance of September 28th. Senior officials played the game of passing the buck, unable to come up with any road map to re-activate the process of political reform. Then the agreed dialogue with students was called off. Such irresponsibility cannot result in anything good for the city. OCLP calls upon the Administration to stop removal of the barricades. What must be removed are the fundamental barriers which cause the present crisis: the collusion of political and business interests and small circle monopoly of the legislature and the office of the Chief Executive. The people are crying out against an unjust system which is barricading Hong Kong's development into a caring society.

The occupy movement first began as a response to government's closure of the Civic Square. The administration was of the view that the re-opening of the Square might invite people to congregate, thus affecting the running of the Chief Government Office. Such mindset is a contradiction of the Open Door philosophy which underlines the design of the building in the first place. The closure sets the administration on the opposite side of the people for good. It is against centuries of Chinese political wisdom. The tradition likens the will of the people to flowing water: it is only to be channeled, not blocked. The re-opening of the Civic Square would be an icon of reconciliation, reducing tension with the population, bringing calm to the community. We strongly urge the Administration to give it its serious consideration.

We understand that the current situation might have caused inconvenience to our fellow citizens. The anti-occupy groups' violence against the occupiers would merely deepen the social contradictions and destroy the fame and the tradition of non-violent disobedience in Hong Kong; your violence would solve no problems. We expect non-violence from protesters of all backgrounds.

We ask the occupiers to stand firm in defending the occupied area and support each others; we also ask you to stand by the principle of non-violent disobedience in face of the police's clearance. We believe that the success of the movement hinge on our perseverance in the spirit of democracy, love and peace.

4pm:
An angry cab driver speaks out. Jimmy Tso Tat-Ming, taxi driver for more than 30 years, says he's making around HK$300-500 less per shift, while fares that normally take around 20 minutes now take 40.

"They may have nothing to do, so they can just lie down on the street, pitch their tents and chill, but we need to make money. We're ordinary citizens who need to eat.

"Neither the roads nor the steel barriers belong to the protesters. If they can put them up, then why can't we take them down?

"Yes I was part of the group that took down the barricades, because they were getting in the way of law-abiding citizens going to work. If what they do is legal, then what I do is also legal.

"I wore a face mask because I was afraid of the Occupy Central protesters recognizing me and beating me up."

prod.jpg

A man jabs his fingers in the throat of a pro-democracy protester. Photo AFP

3.48pm: Fourteen taxi, minibus and lorry groups have vowed to seek an injunction from the court to bar leaders of the Occupy movement from blocking major roads on Hong Kong Island and in Mong Kok, as they say the ongoing protests are seriously affecting their businesses.

"The Occupy movement is actually causing a lot of inconvenience. Under common law it is nuisance. The party affected is entitled to seek damages and also to apply for an injunction," said solicitor Phyllis Kwong from the Asia Pacific Law Association, who is assisting the groups.

In a press conference with representatives from the 14 transport sectors, Kwong expressed the hope that the injunction could be filed "as soon as practicable" and would name at least seven organisers of the movement.

"It is unrealistic to apply to all participants, but then I am sure there are initiators, promoters and leaders," Kwong said, adding that other people should also respect the court's ruling when it comes.

3.34pm: Apple Daily, which has been openly supportive of Occupy Central, has been hit by a cyberattack, it says in a tweet. Some readers have not been able to access the newspaper's website, the tweet said. The website has been inaccessible on the mainland for years.

On Queensway police are holding up signs reading 'police cordon, do not cross' after a pro-democracy protester was taken away by officers, angering others who surged towards them demanding to know what he had done wrong.

Occupy Central has released a statement condemning as a “violent act” the removal by the masked men of barricades set up previously in Admiralty. In the statement Occupy urges the police to strictly enforce the law and protect the peaceful occupation protests from being disrupted.

The movement also calls on the government to reconsider opening the forecourt at the East Wing of the government headquarters complex in Admiralty to the public, saying its closure is against the principle of an open government.

rebuild2.jpg

Makeshift barriers are rebuilt in Admiralty. Photo: Thomas Chan

rebuild.jpg

Occupy protesters start to clean up after this afternoon's scuffles which saw tents and barricades removed. Photo: SCMP

3.20pm: Paul Wong, who moved to Australia in 1983, flew back to Hong Kong to join the students' protest.

"I did not come back Hong Kong even when the government dished out HK$6,000 to every citizen few years ago. But I'm here today as I truly hope Hong Kong could implement universal suffrage," Wong said.

"I have slept on Harcourt Road for days and have not showered for five days," he said. "I will only leave Hong Kong only if the battle ends."

While Hongkongers have been talking about migration as they see no hope in the city, Wong urged people not to follow his path and to stay and face the challenges.

"Moving to other countries is not a way out. We should fight for democracy for Hong Kong just like other countries did," he said.

pro-democ.jpg

Occupy Central supporters sit on the road in Admiralty facing anti-Occupy demonstrators. Photo: SCMP

taxi.jpg

Members of the taxi drivers' union hold up banners demanding the roads be reopened. Photo: SCMP

3.05pm: Things are also heating up in Mong Kok where a large group of middle-aged men and women have surrounded the protest zone and a war of words is underway.

Sporadic and heated political arguments are breaking out in the area as both sides try to put their points across. Police have been forced to intervene several times to keep the two sides apart, while one man was taken away after attempting to remove a tent pole.

In Admiralty a man who gave his surname as Lai said he would not leave until roads were reopened. "They are blocking the way of taxis and trams and because of them materials for construction sites around this area cannot be delivered," said the 50-year-old.

Another anti-Occupy demonstrator, surnamed Lung, said his work as a driver had been affected and that the protesters were breaking the law.

A banner carried by taxi drivers reads: "Give us back our roads, protect our business".

2.50pm: Anti-Occupy demonstrators chant slogans in support of police as they are diverted towards Cotton Tree Drive, away from the protesters.

1413182848322.jpg

Anti-Occupy protesters chant in support of police. Photo: Samuel Chan

2.45pm: Pro-democracy protesters are emotional after witnessing the truck drivers' attempt to remove the barricades on Queensway.

"How could the police officers allow others – to be exact, thugs – to enforce the law?" asks Lee King-hoi, a retiree.

"Has the government given up its governance?"

He says police did nothing as the barriers were removed. "But they immediately stopped and warned the pro-democracy protesters who tried to stop the truck carrying the barricades from moving. The police have confused the cause and effect."

image_3.jpeg

Emotions run high in Admiralty. Photo: Jeffie Lam

2.35pm: Occupy supporter Chu Wai-ho, 32, is wrapping steel barricades with cling film in an attempt to reinforce them.

"I can't believe the anti-Occupy Central people actually took the step of organising what look like triad members to break up our peaceful protests,” he says.

“We're under the Bank of China and this is a major international financial hub. I can't believe they're doing this in full view of many foreigners and working professionals.

"The police tried to keep them under control but they were outnumbered."

1413182179127.jpg

Members of the anti-Occupy group in Admiralty. Photo: Chris Lau

2.30pm: A police officer speaking to protesters on a megaphone, tells them that the anti-Occupy group will not be allowed on Queensway. They will instead he says, be diverted onto Cotton Tree Drive.

Meanwhile, police are stepping up security at their headquarters on Arsenal Street.

1413182026991.jpg

A police officers address protesters by loudspeaker. Photo: Chris Lau

1413181660825.jpg

Security is stepped up at police HQ. Photo: SCMP Pictures

2.20pm: The police have formed a human barrier between the anti-Occupy protesters and the Occupy group under the flyover in front of the Bank of China, which separates Central and Admiralty.

Anti-protesters chant "open the roads" every once in a while. There are at least 40 policemen keeping the two groups apart. The surrounding walkways and flyovers are packed with onlookers, most of them with their phones out, recording the scene.

6542319.jpg

Police keep the two sides apart. Photo: Vicky Feng

2.15pm: MJ, who has been camping on Queensway since September 28, complains that police did nothing when the drivers removed their belongings without their consent.

Edward Chin Chi-kin, a core member of Occupy Central's financial group, says he hopes that police are not cooperating with the truck drivers in removing the barricades.

"Everyone has the right to protest, but if these anti-Occupy [groups] bring in trucks and use violence against others … that's not right," he says.

Scuffles break out between the two camps as pro-democracy protesters try to block a truck from leaving.

image_2.jpeg

Protesters complain about the truck drivers' action. Photo: Jeffie Lam

2.10pm: An aerial view of the scene in Admiralty, as chaotic scenes unfold:

image_1.jpeg

An aerial view of the scene in Admiralty. Photo: SCMP Pictures.

2pm: Chief executive Leung Chun-ying met the press in Guangzhou as the chaos in Admiralty was beginning to unfold.

He says it is “a matter of common sense” that it is the police commander at the scene – and not him – that made the decision to fire tear gas at Occupy protesters on September 28.

Leung was asked to explain his remark in a television interview on Sunday that he did not make the decision to fire tear gas. “As the head of the government, I should be concerned for all matters in the government, but the head does not make orders to police officers taking action in the streets. This is common sense.”

He also reiterates that he will not resign “and there is no need to resign”. Asked what he thinks about a popular view that his resignation will solve the political problem. Leung says: “It is not about the person. Whoever takes the chief executive’s position has to abide by the Basic Law and the decisions of the National People’s Congress. I have made it clear my heart will follow this.”

Leung will not say whether there is a deadline for protesters to retreat before a clearance action is taken, saying the disturbance to shops and traffic “cannot last forever”. The government and police have exercised “the greatest restraint”, he says, noting that district councilors have failed to persuade protesters to retreat.

It remains to be seen how much of the protest site in Admiralty is left however …

1.56pm: Some truck drivers forcibly remove barricades and protesters' tents on Queensway outside Pacific Place.

Occupy protesters complain that the drivers are removing their private property while police turn a blind eye.

untitled_1.png

Truck drivers clear barricades in Admiralty. Photo: Jeffie Lam

1.54pm: Taxi drivers appear to be working in tandem with the mob of masked men as the group marches to Cotton Tree Drive. Some 10 taxis have arrived on the scene, with drivers pressing horns and groups of middle-aged men joining the anti-Occupy group.

Police reinforcements have arrived, built up a cordon line, and stopped the group removing barricades.

Police erected banners saying “Police Cordon. Do Not Cross” during a confrontation.

Right now, more than 200 men are gathering at the scene. Some are waving placards saying “Support police to enforce the law”.

1.45pm: Some photos of the masked men at work in Admiralty:

altaq6det1hyqwcgdpx2pzidho4deveq8k8wzsn2laqxji5.jpg

Masked men attempt to remove barriers. Photo: Samuel Chan

altaoskg9cvgspsq5f9hmol1lctsvtuwb2hfujxantapb_w.jpg

Police keep masked men and protesters apart. Photo: Samuel Chan

1.30pm: Police make arrests after a group of masked men – estimated to be 500-strong – attacks Occupy protesters in Admiralty and attempts to remove barriers.

Television footage shows one member of the group being ordered to drop a knife to the ground by police.

1.20pm: A group of anti-Occupy protesters from the pro-Beijing New Territories Association of Societies turns up in front of Civic Square.

"Your movement has affected many people's livelihood over the past week and lots of drivers have lost their jobs," they chant.

"Hongkongers hate you all."

The Occupy camp responds with boos, hisses and an airing of the by now familiar happy birthday song.

untitled.png

Anti-Occupy protesters converge on Civic Square. Photo: Jeffie Lam

1.12pm: Things are looking greener than usual on Connaught Road, near to the Admiralty protest site:

1.10pm: The self-appointed traffic wardens of the Occupy movement are taking some flak from drivers and passersby as they stop vehicles on Queensway in front of Pacific Place.

"I used to support you, and empathise with you, now I hate you," yells a man in a blue shirt and black trousers, claiming that no Central and Western district residents support the protests anymore.

Protesters are letting cars through the makeshift checkpoint one by one.

A police officer in plain clothes and a negotiator are also there. They say they just want to make sure the protesters and drivers are safe.

img_1334.jpg

Members of the public berate self-appointed traffic wardens in Admiralty at a protesters' checkpoint. Photo: Alan Yu

1.05pm: Next Media chairman Jimmy Lai Chee-ying might apply for a court injunction to stop anti-Apple Daily protesters from blocking the delivery of the newspapers, according to online programme host Li Wai-ling.

Her programme Hammer Out is broadcast on the daily's website every weekday.

12.56pm: The government rejects the protesters’ request to reopen the “Civic Square” at government headquarters in Admiralty.

“A mass gathering [at the forecourt] will seriously affect the operations of the government headquarters and constitute safety risks to the headquarters and surrounding areas,” the government says in a statement. “Therefore the government will not consider the request to reopen the forecourt”.

The statement is a response to student protesters’ demand that the Civic Square must be reopened to the public by 5pm tomorrow, as a condition in exchange for protesters’ withdrawal from Queensway, a main road linking Wan Chai, Admiralty and Central.

The forecourt at the East Wing of the headquarters “is mainly used for vehicular access and as a drop-off point”, the government adds.

It will stick to the present arrangement, under which the public must apply for approval for staging a protest or demonstration at the square, which are allowed only between 10am and 6.30pm on Sunday and public holidays. Public passage through the square to the government buildings and the Legislative Council complex is also disabled daily from 11pm to 6am, except for journalists and staff.

The government urges protesters to stop occupying the roads and retreat to places like Tamar Park, the Central harbourfront, Victoria Park and Macpherson Playground in Mong Kok, and says officials will work to coordinate with them if protesters are willing to do so.

12.50pm: Here’s Harry’s View today …

bzzk1kiimaavtro.jpg

Harry's View on Monday.

12.45pm: Protesters prevent Secretary for Transport and Housing Anthony Cheung Bing-leung’s from entering the Chief Executive’s Office in his car.

"You also fought for democracy, but now are you against the people?" protester Chan Po-ying says, telling Cheung that he can walk through the barricade freely, but his vehicle would not be allowed to pass.

Cheung's car drives away after the protesters refuse to budge.

Cheung championed democracy, having supported the idea that Hong Kong should return to China under a democratic system before the handover from Britain in 1997.

12.40pm: Ethnic minorities taking part in the Occupy protests have become victims not only of verbal assault from those against the movement, but racial discrimination.

Bani, also known by his Chinese name "Ribena", says he has been frequently taunted by anti-Occupy passersby for his South Asian ethnicity.

As he was guarding a barricade in Mong Kok on Monday morning, a Post reporter witnessed a barrage of racist insults thrown at him by middle-aged men against the Occupy movement, ranging from derogatory remarks about his skin colour to statements such as "Go home and cook curry."

"They keep saying I should go home, it's not my business, because I am not a Hongkonger and this is a dispute only between Chinese people," he says, in fluent Cantonese. "This is not right. I have been here 30 years and am as much a Hongkonger as they all are."

Bani says he supports the students' fight for democracy and a better society. He feels racial discrimination is getting more serious in the city in general.

image_0.jpeg

Bani, who works in sales, says he was at the protest ground to offer support and protection to the students. Photo: Ernest Kao

12.30pm: Protesters have just finished building barriers made of bamboo scaffolding at Performing Arts Avenue in Admiralty after two hours' work under the scorching sun.

A volunteer who gives her name as Lilian says they set up the blockade to prevent police from clearing the protest site.

"We woke up to the news that police has removed barriers on Harcourt Road, so we decided to block this road to ensure the safety of protesters," she says.

Volunteers say the bamboo poles were taken from a rubbish pile at a construction site on Performing Arts Avenue.

7410.jpg

Bamboo reinforcements in Admiralty. Photo: Kathy Gao

12.20pm: Janitor Tommy Wong, a volunteer at the Mong Kok camp, says police attempted to dismantle barricades on Mong Kok Road at around 5am but were stopped by protesters.

"I do not agree with police removing the barricades at all. It will compromise the safety of protesters and pedestrians. What if a car rushes in as happened two weeks ago?" he says.

He says police did not consult protesters before carrying out their operation.

In a statement, the force urged protesters to "follow police instructions, and not obstruct police operations or charge police officers."

oc-day16-admiralty-3594380.jpg

Behind the barricades in Mong Kok. Photo: Nora Tam

12.05pm: Queensway is open to traffic again, but drivers first have to pass a checkpoint manned by protesters.

The impromptu traffic wardens confirm the road is open again, as long as vehicles aren't going to Central.

Cars can drive north to get to the area by the Lippo Centre.

Several truck drivers have passed and it seems like more drivers are finding out about this route. An ambulance with its sirens on has just passed.

img_1329.jpg

Protesters stop cars at a checkpoint on Queensway. Photo: Alan Yu

img_1333.jpg

Queensway is open to traffic - but it must first pass a checkpoint manned by protesters. Photo: Alan Yu

11.45am: A 70-year old man is guarding the barricades at Lung Wui Road in Admiralty, which so far remain intact.

"I'm here as there is nobody looking after this battlefront,” says the man, who gives his name as "Uncle Wong".

"I might not be able to stop the police from doing anything, but at least I could notify other protesters to come over and share the message on Facebook ... to keep everyone safe."

Wong has spent at least 13 days and nights in Admiralty since the occupation kicked off on September 28.

"I do not want to see our next generation living in a community without justice, freedom and equality," he says.

image.jpeg

"Uncle Wong" mans the barricades at Lung Wo Road in Admiralty. Photo: Jeffie Lam

11.30am: Most police have left Harcourt Road, with only around a dozen remaining:

9634.jpg

Around a dozen police remained on Harcourt Road as noon approached. Photo: Kathy Gao

Meanwhile, protesters at the Admiralty site are reinforcing the barricades there with bamboo scaffolding:

oc-day16-admiralty-3592f43.jpg
">

Protesters reinforce barricades in Admiralty. Photo: Edward Wong

oc-day16-admiralty-3592f25.jpg

Tents remain standing at the main protest site in Admiralty. Photo: Edward Wong

11.15am: A summary of events so far this morning:

In Mong Kok, police failed in an attempt to remove barricades at the junction of Mong Kok Road and Nathan Road. A single lane allowing traffic on Mong Kok Road to move east which opened several days ago is still in use.

Police did however manage to remove the barricades at Argyle Street and Shanghai Street, allowing traffic to flow from the previously closed off street into Argyle Street. Vehicles can now turn left from Portland Street into Argyle Street. Police say they have completed their operation in Mong Kok.

Near the Admiralty protest site, where the police operation is ongoing, barriers have been removed on Des Voeux Road Central and Chater Road in Central.

Police have cordoned off eastbound traffic on Chater Road but reopened westbound traffic. Vehicles from both ends can drive to Jackson Road then go west along Connaught Road Central.

Police have urged protesters to leave the area.

963.jpg
">

Protesters discuss strategies to prevent police from further removing barricades on Harcourt Road. Photo: Kathy Gao

11.10am: Some 40 protesters concerned by events in Admiralty have rushed to the protest site in Causeway Bay to guard barricades there

Kelvin Lee, a 42-year-old engineer, is helping to fortify barricades by adding plastic cables.

“People say they will stay here no matter what,” he says. “We saw some police here this morning, towards where the tram lines are, but apart from that, so far things look safe.”

Amy Chan, a 38-year-old social worker, came to provide back-up this morning. “I worry about this station,” she says. “Many people need to work so it’s lacking manpower.”

Among the usual bustle of curious onlookers are a nurse and her wheelchair-bound 105-year-old boss who wants to see the occupation despite his deteriorating health. The elderly gentlemen, named Jing, asked his nurse to take him to see the protests this morning.

11am: Chief executive Leung Chun-ying gave the press pack the slip in Guangzhou last night by changing hotels at the last minute, say reporters covering the Pan-Pearl River Delta Development Forum.

Leung is due back in Hong Kong early this afternoon.

10.40am: Scholarism convenor Joshua Wong Chi-fung is celebrating his 18th birthday today. He listed his birthday wishes on his Facebook page in the early hours of this morning:

1. Protests continue to be peaceful.
2. Demonstrators maintain willpower to continue their protest.
3. National People’s Congress revokes its decision on electoral reform.

The post has attracted more than 16,000 "likes".

altasnlyp7bllrw2nwr595nxdrtpalzqx3gnr6miguno5ez.jpg

Mong Kok on Monday morning. Photo: Ernest Kao

10.06am: Estimated crowd size at protest areas:

Admiralty: 100

Mong Kok: 50

Causeway Bay: 20

kathy.jpg

Tents in Admiralty on Monday morning. Photo: Kathy Gao

10.01am: Demonstrators in Mong Kok have added a second line of barricades on Nathan Road.

A man who engaged in a squabble with another man at the Occupy Mong Kok protest zone at around 8am has suffered a suspected heart attack after being pushed to the ground. An ambulance arrived and he was taken to hospital.

The barricade blocking the intersection of Argyle and Shanghai Street was removed by police earlier today.

altahjvzsfz-uehvp0g9nrmoec8ore94rh5zp4jiaxv5ium.jpg

Barricades in Mong Kok on Monday morning. Photo: Ernest Kao

9.38am: Demonstrators in Admiralty flock to Harcourt Road, where police have replaced one barricade with one of their own. One demonstrator moves her tent there while others sit down, waiting for further developments.

The protesters' barricade on Connaught Road Central, opposite Exchange Square, has been replaced by a police cordon. Police officers say they have not received instructions on reopening the eastbound lane of Connaught Road Central.

Meanwhile, Jackson Road, Chater Road and one westbound lane on Connaught Road Central have been reopened to traffic. Traffic remains sparse.

altarls0m25owdqshddrhqbg7rllqajnhxvsa8dwzx8qwxw.jpg

Little traffic on reopened roads on Hong Kong Island on Monday morning. Photo: Alan Yu

9.32am: Police officers tell Post reporters that they cleared the blockade on Harcourt Road to open a route to government headquarters in Admiralty. Police say it was their right to clear the blockades because the metal barricades were government property.

9.17am: The Transport Department issues a detailed run-down of minibus routes affected by protests on Monday.

oc-day16-admiralty-ew-8-net.jpg

Protesters at barricades in Admiralty on Monday morning. Photo: Edward Wong

8.50am: Police issue a statement saying an operation to clear unguarded barricades in Mong Kok and Admiralty started at 5.30am to ease traffic congestion. Police did not attempt to clear the protest sites, the statement says. The police operation in Mong Kok has already ended, it says.

Police urge protesters not to obstruct police action, remove barricades and disperse in a peaceful and orderly manner.

oc-day16-admiralty-rn-4-net.jpg

A line of police officers in Admiralty. Photo: Robert Ng

oc-day16-admiralty-rn-5-net.jpg

A protester uses a telescope to estimate police presence in Admiralty. Photo: Robert Ng

8.26am: Police officers carrying tear gas canisters seen in Admiralty.

unnamed_1.jpg

Police set up their own barricade in Admiralty. Photo: Kathy Gao

8.21am: Two lines of police officers face some 100 protesters at Harcourt Road in Admiralty, where barricades have been removed.

One police officer speaks to protesters on a megaphone, urging calm.

unnamed.jpg

Protesters form lines in Admiralty. Photo: Kathy Gao

8.15am: In Mong Kok, pro-democracy protesters slept through a peaceful night until 6am when a group of plain-clothes police officers asked for some barricades on Mong Kok Road to be removed to reopen a lane leading to Sai Yee Street.

The protesters rejected the demand and a 45 minutes-long confrontation ensued. The officers left. Protesters then fortified the barricades in other locations with plastic cuffs, pallets and bamboo.

hong_kong-china-democracy_pl04_46136565.jpg

Protesters reinforce a barricade in Mong Kok. Photo: AFP

img_1245.jpg
">

Protesters under an Admiralty flyover: 'We are unarmed students. We want police to stop their advance and stop clearing the barricades.' Photo: Alan Yu

oc-day16-admiralty-rn-3-net.jpg

Police preparing to clear barricades in Admiralty. Photo: Robert Ng

8am: The delivery of Apple Daily was delayed for hours this morning by a group of some 100 anti-Occupy protesters, who blocked the entrances of the newspaper's offices in the Tseung Kwan O Industrial Estate.

The protesters, many of them speaking Cantonese with a mainland accent, appeared at the Next Media headquarters on Chun Ying Street around 11pm, protesting against what they regard as the newspaper's biased coverage of the Occupy movement.

The protesters erected tents at the building's entrances, obstructing delivery trucks and staff shuttle buses.

By 5am, almost all the protesters had left the scene on foot and on what appeared to be organised coaches.

oc-day16-admiralty-rn-net.jpg

Police preparing to clear barricades in Admiralty. Photo: Robert Ng

7.15am: The South China Morning Post's front-page on Monday:

fpmonday.jpg

7am: Excerpts from the Post's coverage of the Occupy movement on Monday:

Police says triads sent infiltrators into camps of occupy supporters and detractors

Up to 200 gangsters from two major triads across the city were mobilised to infiltrate the camps of supporters and detractors of the Occupy protests during chaos in Mong Kok more than a week ago, police said.

Living on the front line: How an occupation became a community

In this civil community, protesters have formed strong bonds and call one another "neighbour".

Concern over protests keeps PRD trade partners from forum

Fears of negative associations with the Occupy movement are thought to have kept some state leaders from the 10th regional forum.

Mainland Chinese tourists bypass Hong Kong in favour of Taiwan

Island sees 70 per cent increase in arrivals over National Day break amid Occupy protests in Hong Kong.

Who's responsible for business losses - protesters or the government?

"Those contemplating suing protesters for loss of business should realise that such a claim would probably be futile and their energy would be better spent lobbying for a compensation fund", writes Rick Glofcheski.

6.45am: What the front pages of the local papers are saying:

Apple Daily: Anti-occupy group block publication of Apple Daily

Oriental Daily: Mainland corrupt officials flock to Southern Europe, South Africa

Ming Pao: Queensway in exchange for Civic Square, students and pan-democrats propose

Sing Tao Daily: C Y Leung: Mass movement has lost control

wp_20141012_017.jpg

A barricade in Mong Kok on Sunday evening with a photo of President Xi Jinping. The banner reads 'If you tear this down this barricade, you could damage the national flag'. Photo: Staff reporter

Overnight:

Protesters in Admiralty said they would stop occupying Queensway if the government reopens the space now known as Civic Square among demonstrators near the East Wing of the government’s headquarters by 5pm on Tuesday.

Standing next to Occupy Central co-founder Benny Tai Yiu-ting and Scholarism convenor Joshua Wong Chi-fung, a Queensway occupier who identified himself as Ah Dee said: “We understood that our occupation has affected the daily lives of residents in the neighbourhood [...] So we have now opened a gateway of sincere dialogue, if the government doesn’t want to obstruct the people’s daily lives and democracy, please respond to our humble request.”

Tai, Wong and representatives of the pan-democratic camp said they agreed with Ah Dee's plan. Some protesters voiced their opposition to it.

Hundreds, if not thousands of people, camped out at Admiralty on Sunday night. We counted some 400 tents there.

pix1477.jpg
">

Protesters settle in for the night in Admiralty. Photo: Edward Wong

DianWei

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

LIVE: Police pledge to tear down barriers again despite protesters’ rebuilding efforts

PUBLISHED : Monday, 13 October, 2014, 5:57pm
UPDATED : Monday, 13 October, 2014, 9:05pm

photo.jpg

Occupy supporters use bamboo poles to build barricades in Queensway. Photo: May Tse

Good evening and welcome to our ongoing coverage of Hong Kong's Occupy movement.

Chaotic scenes unfolded in Admiralty this afternoon when a mob of masked men, who appeared to be working in tandem with taxi drivers and truck drivers, removed barricades in Queensway and Cotton Tree Drive as dozens of anti-Occupy protesters gathered in the area.

Scuffles broke out when some of the masked men cut the plastic cable ties connecting barriers on Queensway and confronted Occupy protesters.

8.49pm Admiralty: Several protesters are laying down cement foundations to fortify barricades made of host of materials, ranging from steel barriers, wooden pallets and even wheels from vehicles across Queensway outside Pacific Place.

20141013_204644.jpg

8.36pm Causeway Bay: About 70 people have joined the sit-in in Causeway Bay as protesters fortify barricades by weighing them down with cement and wrapping them in cellophane. A dozen police in uniforms skirt the area, as well as a few individuals that protesters identify as plain-clothed police officers. “People are worried that the police will come tonight and take the barriers away. They don’t know what manpower or force they might bring” says first aid volunteer Mr Cheung.

An argument between protesters and a man with a briefcase ends abruptly after he shouts “If you were my son, I would kick you.” He was led away from the scene by police.

8.23pm Admiralty: A group of about ten construction workers arrive holding placards with messages of support for the Occupy movement, saying that their union does not represent their views. The group receives a huge round of applause from the crowd. On Sunday, about 30 members of a construction union visited the demonstrations in Admiralty, demanding an end to protests.

photoworkers.jpg

8.14pm Admiralty: Crowds gather at the protest site in Admiralty.

zhao_pian__0.jpg

8.08pm Admiralty: Students hold a cram class at the Admiralty sit-in.

zhao_pian_1_0.jpg

7.56pm Admiralty: A group of about 20 Occupy protesters erect barricades made from bamboo poles in Queensway, after anti-Occupy demonstrators tried to remove their barricades this afternoon. A handful of police officers can be seen patrolling the area.

photo.jpg

7.48pm: Chaotic scenes unfolded in Admiralty this afternoon when a mob of masked men, who appeared to be working in tandem with taxi drivers and truck drivers, removed barricades in Queensway and Cotton Tree Drive as dozens of anti-Occupy protesters gathered in the area.

7.38pm: Carrie Lam walks over to an apparent "Umbrella Revolution" supporter, promising a peaceful future for Hong Kong.

Bz0rT1XCEAABUVu.jpg

Carrie Lam comes over to shake hands with me promising a peaceful future for Hongkong #OccupyCentral #UmbrellaRevolut
11:17 AM - 13 Oct 2014

A man raises an umbrella during a speech made by Chief Secretary Carrie Lam at a Spanish National Day event.

7.27pm: The head of the Federation of Students Alex Chow Wing-hong questions whether police collaborated with a mob of masked men to remove barriers in Admiralty on Monday afternoon, just hours after police removed barricades from the protest site in Admiralty. "It is like a coincidence. I don't know if there was any coordination but it's normal to speculate whether there was collaboration," Chow says.

As the Occupy movement enters its third week, questions have been raised on what action should be taken next. Chow says at this stage protesters are only able to reinforce existing barricades, depending on manpower and resources, after some barricades had been removed.

Chow says he doesn't have any specific plans on how to advance the movement, as he is still observing whether the chief executive, or chief secretary, would offer Hongkongers some new proposals after their trip to Guangzhou. "Until now, the pair haven't given a clear political message on what Beijing has instructed them to do to address the problem of governance in Hong Kong," Chow says. "They also haven't raised any concrete proposals on how to solve the crisis. Do they still want to govern Hong Kong?"

7.16pm Admiralty: Protesters intensify efforts to reinforce barricades along Queensway. Photo: K. Y. Cheng

zhao_pian_.jpg

7.04pm Tseung Kwan O: Apple Daily staffers show support for their paper on Monday evening as anti-Occupy protesters continue to block entrances to the newspaper’s offices in Tseung Kwan O.

altaqn5ufzqfhujgl2avvlfysoipar7krt7jnzi9g_jukq2.jpg

6.49pm: During an ongoing visit to Russia, Chinese Vice Premier Wang Yang warns that Western countries are attempting to trigger a "colour revolution" in China by supporting the "opposition camp" in Hong Kong. Wang adds that China firmly opposes Western sanctions against Russia over Ukraine. Wang is in Sochi with Premier Li Keqiang, who is due to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin.

6.41pm Admiralty: Protesters in Queensway are using anything and everything to form barricades, among them wooden boards, bamboo poles and metal bars. Now two layers of barricades have been set up on each side of Queensway.

20141013_181610.jpg

20141013_182606.jpg

6.34pm Mong Kok: The protest site in Mong Kok remains peaceful. The placard at the back reads "No more violence". Photo: Nora Tam

mk-oct13-nora-a.jpg

The Mong Kok protest site. The placard at the back reads "No more violence". Photo: Nora Tam

6.22pm Admiralty: Protesters on Queensway by the Bank of China headquarters have brought in stacks of bamboo and are using the poles to reinforce barricades along Queensway.

5.37pm Admiralty: Protesters continue to head towards the main protest site in Admiralty as people leave work or finish their studies. A crowd of about 200 people gather under the footbridge adjoining the Legislative Council building as some protesters make speeches.

20141013_172606.jpg

5.29pm: Protesters use cling film, an old motorcycle and strips of rusted metal sheeting as barricades on Queensway.

clingfilm_1.jpg

img_1444_1.jpg

img_1446.jpg

5.22pm Admiralty: The government's decision not to reopen Civic Square comes as no surprise to protesters in Admiralty, with many arguing that the Occupy movement should escalate its actions in retatliation. "I expect nothing from the government," said civil engineering student Simon Sin, 21. "We must take more action, otherwise people won't listen to us," Sin said.

Meko Chan, 24, a human resources manager, says the government's decision was expected. "I think we should remain occupying the current areas, and occupy buildings of big companies, like in IFC, because what we are doing is not affecting the economy that much".

Banker Nicola Chan, 26 says: "It's obvious the government is not willing to negotiate." She suggested protesters increase their civil disobedience actions "to expand the areas of occupation and organise new class boycotts."

DianWei

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

LIVE: Protesters reinforce barricades in Admiralty ahead of expected action by police

PUBLISHED : Monday, 13 October, 2014, 5:57pm
UPDATED : Monday, 13 October, 2014, 11:40pm

tamar-d.jpg

Occupy supporters use bamboo poles to build barricades in Queensway. Photo: May Tse

Good evening and welcome to our ongoing coverage of Hong Kong's Occupy movement.

Chaotic scenes unfolded in Admiralty on Monday when a mob of masked men, who appeared to be working in tandem with taxi drivers and truck drivers, removed barricades in Queensway and Cotton Tree Drive as dozens of anti-Occupy protesters gathered in the area. Scuffles broke out when some of the masked men cut the plastic cable ties connecting barriers on Queensway and confronted Occupy protesters.

The clashes came just hours after police in Admiralty and Mong Kok launched an operation to remove barricades and open a number of occupied roads to traffic.

11.34pm Admiralty: A truck delivers new supplies of bamboo poles to Occupy protesters to help them reinforce roadblocks and barricades along Queensway.

image_5.jpeg

11.24pm Mong Kok: A sudden conflict erupts on Nathan Road on the intersection of Mong Kok Road shortly before 11pm. Hundreds of protesters are confronting about a hundred uniformed and anti-triad officers gathered there. Some police officers are carrying riot shields.

20141013_231114.jpg

11.10pm Admiralty: IT worker Kevin Lee and his four friends say they will stay on Queensway to act as a "human roadblock" if necessary while waiting for the concrete used to fortify the the layers of roadblocks behind them to dry. "Each night we occupy different spots. We will move to any location that need reinforcements most desperately," said the 26-year-old. "The gangsters are out every time the government makes some strong comments," said his friend Tom Chan, who works in the travel industry. He said he is determined not to let gangsters to have their chance to create chaos at Occupy protest areas after witnessing how vulnerable protesters were this afternoon.

untitled_5.png

10.55pm: In response to David Eldon’s recent comments on chief executive Leung Chun-ying accepting HK$50 million in a deal with Australian engineering firm UGL, HSBC says its former chairman “was commenting as a private individual” and the bank says his comments “do not in any way reflect the view of HSBC Group”.

In his blog on Thursday, Eldon said the revelations about Leung’s deal might lead to pressure from Beijing for Leung to step down. “President Xi Jinping has made very clear his abhorrence of corruption, and if there is the slightest unpleasant smell about this, what better way than to remove an unpopular official? “The departure will not have been the result of student pressure … and should see the temporary installation of an altogether more popular person in the shape of Carrie Lam,” he wrote.

10.47pm Admiralty: Protesters complete building new bamboo barricades across the highway at Queensway. "I just learned as I went along. There were some construction workers here to teach us how it should be done," said self-employed IT worker Alec Lee, 45. "The police said this morning they were just retrieving government property when they cleared some of our barricades. Now they can't use the same excuse because the bamboo barriers are private property."

20141013_214045.jpg

Protesters say that an unknown group of supporters transported dozens of bamboo poles, many metres long, for protesters to make new barriers from this afternoon. The two barricades now stand about 6 metres wide and 4 metres long, blocking both the east-bound and west-bound lanes of Queensway. A construction worker who happened to pass by Queensway where Occupy supporters were building the barricades says he is impressed by the protesters' craftsmanship. "Even if a car rams into it, the barricades will still hold. But it would be another story if it is a lorry," says the scaffolding worker.

10.34pm Admiralty: Protesters continue building bamboo barricades on both sides of the Queensway highway. The makeshift barricades are being strengthened by plastic ties and steel chains have been brought in to further reinforce the barricades. About 500 protesters are occupying Queensway, including some curious onlookers.

Bz08IHkCQAIAvj4.jpg

ant @antd
And now: nearby construction workers are lending their support with... Cement. #inevitable #OccupyHK

9.22pm Admiralty: More than 20 police officers are confronting protesters on Queensway where bamboo barricades have been set up by demonstrators.

20141013a.jpg

9.11pm Mong Kok: Eighteen new tents appear on Nathan Road to allow Occupy protesters at the site to take some rest. It is not known who provided the tents. "Free to use. Please take turns. Keep them clean and show consideration for the next user," reads a label stuck on one the tents.

dsc_2908.jpg

Bz0yNEpCMAAYn7K.jpg
Bz0yP7BCQAAXiVl.jpg

Leo Hsu @leohsu
MT"@tomgrundy: #OccupyHK protesters using cement to reinforce barriers. Photos from @JeromeTaylor & @tricialing pic.twitter.com/FPO8jjEMqz"

8.52pm Admiralty: Several protesters are laying down cement foundations to fortify barricades made of host of materials, ranging from steel barriers, wooden pallets and even wheels from vehicles across Queensway outside Pacific Place.

20141013_204644.jpg

8.40pm Causeway Bay: About 70 people joined the sit-in in Causeway Bay as protesters fortify barricades by weighing them down with cement and wrapping them in cellophane. A dozen police in uniforms skirt the area, as well as a few individuals that protesters identify as plain-clothed police officers. “People are worried that the police will come tonight and take the barriers away. They don’t know what manpower or force they might bring” says first aid volunteer Mr Cheung.

An argument between protesters and a man with a briefcase ends abruptly after he shouts “If you were my son, I would kick you.” He was led away from the scene by police.

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal

Death is easier to receive than Liberty.

DianWei

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

A battle for the streets in Admiralty

Occupy activists and their opponents square up in Admiralty in a sudden escalation of tensions

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 14 October, 2014, 4:33am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 14 October, 2014, 4:33am

Staff reporters

661411f009b3caa30b778e4452ceaf93.jpg

An anti-Occupy protester armed with a knife to cut the plastic cords that bound together barriers is arrested by police during the turmoil in Admiralty. Photo: Edward Wong

Hundreds of Occupy Central opponents converged on Admiralty at around lunchtime yesterday in what appeared to be a well-orchestrated and carefully timed operation to remove road barriers that had paralysed traffic for more than two weeks.

Tense confrontations and scuffles with Occupy protesters ensued, and at least 22 people were arrested.

The chaotic scenes were the first to break out at the Admiralty protest site since police backed down after using tear gas to clear the sit-in on September 28.

a51afe9d41405f55e27feac5f0a54d7b.jpg

A police source said initial investigations indicated the activists were from the transport industry and included taxi and minibus drivers.

Eddie Ng Yip-pui, director of the Taxi Drivers and Operators Association, admitted the association had mobilised about 200 taxi drivers and their relatives to disturb the Admiralty sit-in.

Ng said they wanted to express their grievances about business losses caused by the occupation. He denied they were paid, contrary to a media report that accused the cabbies of receiving HK$2,000 each to protest.

"Who can afford to offer HK$2,000 [each] to taxi drivers? A hundred drivers would cost HK$200,000," he said.

Protesters were caught off guard when about 50 men in black, mostly wearing masks, appeared at the occupied Queensway at about 1.30pm.

As they walked towards Central, the group used cable cutters to slice the plastic cords that bound together barriers at the junction of Queensway and Cotton Tree Drive.

Minor scuffles broke out, followed by heated arguments between the opposing sides. Police stepped in to separate them.

Occupy protesters complained about police inaction, with one shouting at the officers: "Arrest them! Don't just stand and watch."

Anti-Occupy reinforcements then arrived. A fleet of more than 10 taxis pulled over at the same junction, bearing placards that read "broken rice bowl" and "can't tolerate any more".

As the cabbies pressed their horns, another group, made up of mostly middle-aged men, stormed into the junction and confronted the police.

The anti-Occupy numbers soon swelled to more than 200, many carrying banners that said "supporting the police to enforce the law".

Shouts of "Occupy Central is illegal" and "open the roads" filled the air. Occupy protesters responded by chanting "arrest triad members", in reference to media reports that gangsters had been recruited to cause disarray.

Amid the pushing and shoving, at least two men were taken away in handcuffs.

aa6fc248f1e3ed1865e6e8f4729bd03b.jpg

Police reinforcements soon arrived and officers set up a cordon to stop anti-Occupy activists from removing more barricades, prompting a stand-off. Then at around 2.30pm, about 20 taxis blocked a section of Queensway near Hennessy Road.

The commotion subsided half an hour later, when anti-Occupy activists started leaving Admiralty on foot, followed by the taxis.

The timing of the incident spawned a conspiracy theory - that it was orchestrated by the Beijing-loyalist camp with the blessing of the government.

It had been preceded by police action at 5.30am, when officers descended unexpectedly on protest sites in Mong Kok and Central and began removing road barriers.

But the operation in Mong Kok Road was largely fruitless. Officers found themselves quickly surrounded by protesters, some of whom shouted abuse.

Chants of "go away" echoed through the canyons of concrete blocks along the road, where only one of five lanes remained opened to traffic.

Protesters rebuilt the barriers soon after the police left.

In Central, the clearance of barriers went smoother and officers managed to remove the obstacles near City Hall.

At around noon, the government issued a statement urging the protesters to end their illegal occupation. Then at about 1.15pm, Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying, who was visiting Guangzhou, told a media briefing that the sit-ins could not be allowed to go on forever. "The government aims to clear the road barriers as soon as is practicable, on the condition that it will not create conflicts with [Occupy] protesters," Leung said.

Those words were followed shortly by the massing of anti-Occupy activists in Admiralty.

Alan Yu, Kathy Gao, Clifford Lo, Jeffie Lam, Raquel Carvalho, Samuel Chan, Timmy Sung, Ng Kang-chung and Ernest Kao

49e57578a55f1025fdcbc4a37ea48f15_0.jpg

Taxi drivers protest against Occupy Central. Photo: Dickson Lee

October 13 timeline: Police and protest action

5.30am Police start removing road barriers set up by Occupy protesters in Central and Mong Kok.

7.30am Some road barriers on Queen's Road Central outside Cheung Kong Center are taken away. Police officers armed with shields stand guard outside City Hall as crowds start building.

7.40am Road barriers at the junction of Shanghai and Argyle streets in Kowloon are removed.

9am Road barriers on Harcourt Road are removed.

9.30am Road barriers on Connaught Road Central are removed.

10.30am Scholarism warns that the police action will make way for large-scale clearance. The group calls on protesters to stay put.

10.30am and 11.30am Secretary for the Civil Service Paul Tang Kwok-wai and Secretary for Transport and Housing Anthony Cheung Bing-leung fail to reach their offices at government headquarters in Admiralty after protesters bar their cars from entering.

12.06pm The government, in a statement, rejects protesters' demands for opening the East Wing forecourt of the government headquarters complex in Admiralty to stage rallies.

1.15pm Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying tells reporters in Guangzhou - where he's travelling - that the occupation cannot be allowed to go on forever, and that the government aims to clear the road barriers as soon as it is practicable.

1.30pm Dozens of people assemble outside Queensway Government Offices building in Admiralty. Some try to remove road barriers at the junction of Cotton Tree Drive and Queensway. Anti-Occupy representatives from the New Territories Association of Societies stage a rally outside the government headquarters complex in Admiralty. About 20 taxis assemble at the Star Ferry pier in Central before starting a slow-drive in protest against Occupy Central.

1.40pm Minor scuffles break out near the Lippo Centre in Admiralty and police intervene. Drivers from the Taxi Drivers and Operators Association join the anti-Occupy protest.

2pm Occupy protesters in Admiralty ignore police advice and stay, confronting their opponents near the Lippo Centre.

2.30pm About 20 taxis block a section of Queensway near Hennessy Road in an action against Occupy protesters.

3pm On police advice, anti-Occupy protesters leave Admiralty.

3.30pm Protesting taxi drivers leave Admiralty. Protesters try to rebuild barriers in Queensway near Bank of China Tower.

4pm Police say they will remove obstacles at Queensway in Admiralty and Yee Wo Street in Causeway Bay soon, but there is no plan to clear protesters.

DianWei

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

LIVE: Police remove barricades in Causeway Bay as Occupy movement enters 17th day

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 14 October, 2014, 5:52am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 14 October, 2014, 6:22am

Staff reporters

photo.jpg

Police clearing barricades in Causeway Bay. Photo:biggrin:ickson Lee

Good morning and welcome to our ongoing coverage of Hong Kong's Occupy movement.

Chaotic scenes unfolded in Admiralty on Monday when a mob of masked men, who appeared to be working in tandem with taxi drivers and truck drivers, removed barricades in Queensway and Cotton Tree Drive as dozens of anti-Occupy protesters gathered in the area. Scuffles broke out when some of the masked men cut the plastic cable ties connecting barriers on Queensway and confronted Occupy protesters.

The clashes came just hours after police in Admiralty and Mong Kok launched an operation to remove barricades and open a number of occupied roads to traffic.

6.12am: Police say they want to open the westbound lane of Yee Wo Street and Jardine's Street to traffic.

altaj2wfmuswwmoo5kebdt4kbxkpgp-9ssibee_2ecja7q6.jpg

Police in Causeway Bay. Photo: Danny Lee

6.05am: Meanwhile in Admiralty, only eight police officers stand by idly under the Justice Drive flyover as bamboo and metal barricades block Queensway and protesters sleep in their tents.

In Mong Kok, about 100 protesters are camping out at the junction of Nathan Road and Argyle Street.

altalqfa1pnuuebfrzjj2guznaaoy8o0eamhvsofvfk3uwf.jpg

Police clearing barricades in Causeway Bay. Photo: Jennifer Ngo

6am: Ho Man-chi, 23, a social worker said: "The police came 10 minutes ago and they told us to clear the area. They promised to keep the eastbound lane open for protesters. What they want to open the westbound lane for traffic."

danny2.jpg

Police officers remove barricades in Causeway Bay. Photo: Danny Lee

5.45am: Some 250 police officers, some carrying shields, have begun removing barricades in Causeway Bay.

A senior operational commander says they "are clearing obstructions from the road and they are protecting government property."

He says police will not clear Occupy Causeway Bay, addng that barricades around the camp will be replaced by police barriers.

Police have formed a human chain around the protesters, effectively separating them from the barricades, which are being removed by other police officers.

altaol2psn2bni_40e8-jcagtisdaybpnuqtbkn6lwnz604.jpg

5.30am: The South China Morning Post's front-page on Tuesday:

5.20am: Excerpts from the Post's coverage of the Occupy movement on Tuesday:

"Who can afford to offer HK$2,000 [each] to taxi drivers? A hundred drivers would cost HK$200,000," he said.

Thousands sign petition demanding CY Leung is stripped of honorary title

The appeal – which had more than 7,000 signatures by Sunday evening – calls for Polytechnic University to withdraw the “Honorary Outstanding PolyU Alumni” title given to Leung in 1997.

Activists man barricades they made themselves

"The thing is, the police said this morning they were just retrieving government property when they took away railings and cleared some of our barricades. Now they can't use the same excuse because the bamboo is private property."

Confederation of Trade Unions received grants from US-based NGO according to files sent to media

The senders of the documents, calling themselves Mong Kok Privacy Invaders, said in a note attached to the email that they were "ordinary people" who had their businesses affected by Occupy.

frontpagetuesday.jpg

5.15am: What the front pages of the local papers are saying:

Apple Daily: Fearless “Apple” keeps publishing

Oriental Daily: Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions, Lee Cheuk-yan receive US funds, orchestrate Occupy Central

Ming Pao: More than a hundred masked people tear down barricades with sharp objects

Sing Tao Daily: Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions received HK$20 million in aid from US over past 20 years

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Beijing also exercising maximum restraint. Excellent.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

LIVE: Police remove barricades in Causeway Bay as Occupy movement enters 17th day
Thank you Dianwei for the updates please keep it coming

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

see that sinkies? this is what i called balls...

i am so right to stay away from sinkies.

DianWei

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Anarchists & Opportunist Abound in HK Chaos

LIVE: Police use chainsaws as hundreds of officers reopen Queensway to traffic

UPDATED : Tuesday, 14 October, 2014, 12:32pm

Staff reporters

oc-day17-admiralty-35b4d1a_0.jpg

Come on through: Police direct traffic from Wan Chai to pass through westbound on Queensway. Photo: May Tse

Good afternoon and welcome to our ongoing live coverage of Hong Kong's Occupy movement.

Hundreds of police with power tools tore down protesters’ barricades on Queensway in Admiralty this morning, following a swiftly executed dawn operation to remove a number of blockades in Causeway Bay.

In Tseung Kwan O, anti-Occupy protesters defied a court order and once again blocked the entrances to the Apple Daily newspaper headquarters, delaying the paper's delivery for a second day.

12.28pm: For the first time in more than a fortnight westbound vehicles are travelling along Queensway onto Queen's Road Central.

12.20pm: Some 50 protesters gather at a bus stop off Queensway to discuss further strategies to guard the protest site at Admiralty.

Protesters, wearing goggles and masks, say the police are heavily armed and wanted to test how protesters would protect the site during their operation to remove barricades this morning.

One protester says that they were sent to three different road junctions around Admiralty to guard the protest site.

Meanwhile, more than 100 police officers can be seen from Queensway and Rodney Street.

9632114789.jpg

Protesters regroup in Admiralty. Photo: Kathy Gao

12.10pm: The tension between police and protesters appears to have eased a little in Admiralty.

A female officer is using a shopping cart to ferry water and isotonic drinks from the crowd in front of the Lippo Centre to the small group of protesters staging a sit-in on the road.

Meanwhile, westbound traffic on Queensway will be allowed to go into Queen's Road Central after a lorry finishes loading wooden boards demolished by the police in the operation to remove the barricades.

12.05pm: Occupy Central has certainly kept Post cartoonist Harry Harrison busy recently.

cartoon-net.jpg

Harry's View on Occupy Central.

12.01pm: Cleaners are now tidying up the eastbound lane on Queensway. Traffic is expected to resume soon.

A short while ago, three container trucks led by a police van drove along the eastbound lane.

Noon: Apple Daily says at least 50 of its editorial staff, including frontline reporters, have received harassing and abusive phone calls, while its online server has been hacked.

A senior member of editorial staff received more than 250 phone calls a day at one stage, with the caller typically hanging up once the member of staff answered. Another member of staff was disturbed by one phone call a minute. The newspaper says that since last Wednesday, some editorial staff had received calls from abusive callers, who then hung up.

Apple Daily says its delivery was delayed again this morning as a result of an anti-Occupy protesters’ blockade outside its headquarters in Tseung Kwan O.

This is despite the fact that the media company obtained a court injunction to keep any protesters from outside its office.

11.46am: The main protest site at Admiralty is quiet with few protesters and many empty tents.

Protesters, mostly volunteers, seem relaxed despite the removal of barricades on Queensway.

11:44am: For the first time in two weeks, private vehicles pass through Queensway's westbound lanes and turn into Cotton Tree Drive.

They include a coach, trucks and private cars.

oc-day17-admiralty-35b4262.jpg
">

The first batch of westbound vehicles returns to Queensway. Photo: K.Y. Cheng

11.40am: A police spokesman tells protesters via a megaphone that officers will let them reclaim their tents from under the flyover. “

If you agree to this, then come up one by one,” he says.

“Do you guarantee that we can all come back to where we're sitting here, safely?” a protester asks.

The police spokesman says they can. Police are holding hands to form a human barrier so protesters can collect their belongings from under the flyover, two at a time.

11.30am: Some 20 protesters are sitting on an eastbound lane of Queensway. Among them is Edward Chin Chi-kin, a core member of Occupy Central's finance group.

About 100 protesters look on from the Lippo Centre, including Labour Party lawmakers Dr Fernando Cheung Chiu-hung and Peter Cheung Kwok-che.

321.jpg

Police and protesters face off on Queensway. Photo: Kathy Gao

11.25am: Gay Chan is enjoying a special 34th birthday today by sitting on Rodney Street in Admiralty, confronting two lines of police officers after barricades were removed on Queensway.

"It's ridiculous!" Chan says, adding that the police operation was a waste of time because protesters would build new road blocks tonight. "The barricades are to protect us," he says.

Chan says he is here to safeguard the city's freedom and rights and make sure "the one county two systems" promised by Beijing is implemented in Hong Kong. "We don't want to be part of China. We have different characters," Chan says.

He says there is little protesters can do right now other than staying at the protest scene.

11.20am: Outside the High Court, a dozen street sweepers help to sweep away plastic straps and tape on the street, while police officers remove barricades.

On Queensway, under the Cotton Tree Drive flyover, police officers are moving bamboo sticks onto a rubbish truck.

More than 40 metal fences, wooden boards and other roadblocks are still on the roadside and are expected to be removed.

Several tents and a protesters' resources centre are still on the eastbound lanes under the flyover, while some 100 protesters are either sitting down on the junction with Cotton Tree Drive or looking on outside the Lippo Centre.

oc-day17-admiralty-35b2604.jpg
">

Police clear barriers on Queensway. Photo: K.Y. Cheng

11.15am: While tensions are high in Admiralty, the Occupy site in Mong Kok has been largely peaceful this morning bar the odd heated debate. Some 80 protesters present.

Up to 50 police officers are patrolling the area and they have stepped in quickly to mediate minor disputes.

Young protester Roy Wong says he is aware of the police operation in Admiralty, but he has no plan to go there to support the protesters yet.

"I am concerned the police will take action here too, but there is nothing we can do but continue to stay," he says.

11.08am: In Admiralty, protester Bert Cheng Man-lok is wearing taekwondo armour, covering his torso and legs. He is in tears.

“I used to think of Hong Kong's police as one of the best in the world, but even though they know taking down the barricades might compromise our safety, they're blatantly disregarding our safety,” says the university student, 22.

“I doubt that the once stellar reputation of the force will survive this. The barricades are our only defence against any anti-Occupy people charging in with weapons.

“The police told us to give up the road because of Hongkongers’ right to the roads. On September 27, when they denied female protesters a chance to use a toilet, or dragged them on the ground, why weren't they concerned with rights then?”

oc-day17-admiralty-35b3615.jpg
">

Protesters sit-in on Queensway after police cleared barricades. Photo: K.Y. Cheng

11.04am: Protesters on Harcourt Road are calling on police not to go any further with their operation.

Tensions are high as police try to pass through the protest site, with protesters refusing to let them in.

oc-day17-admiralty-35b359d.jpg

Protesters refuse to let police into the protest site in Admiralty. Photo: Jennifer Ngo

10.54am: There’s a minor sit-in at the junction of Queensway and Tamar Street as some 20 protesters refuse to leave.

10.45am: All the barricades on Queensway have been demolished.

Traffic on all lanes is expected to pass through after officers removed all road block materials onto rubbish trucks.

img_1507_0.jpg

Police use chainsaws to destroy bamboo barricades. Photo: Alan Yu

10.40am: Meanwhile, in Causeway Bay, an unidentified person throws a glass mirror out of the window of a fourth floor apartment on Yee Wo Street.

Pedestrians scatter on the street below as the glass smashes into bits of shrapnel.

One middle-aged man is hit. Police ask if he requires medical attention but the man declines.

Police have blocked the area off.

10.35am: Four or five layers of the road blocks built by protesters on Queensway remain. Police have so far only cleared one layer.

It’ll be a while before traffic returns to normal on Queensway.

img_1505.jpg

Scraps of plastic litter Queensway during a police operation to clear barricades. Photo: Alan Yu

10.31am: Police reiterate that their operation seeks to clear the east and westbound lanes of Queensway for traffic to pass through.

10.25am: A small group of protesters sitting on Queensway are arguing with a police spokesman, who is speaking on a loudhailer.

The spokesman starts every sentence with the line: "Thank you for keeping calm and safe..." as the protesters jeer him.

Police: "We haven't used riot gear since this morning and we thank you for keeping calm. You've occupied the streets for 17 days and stripped people of their rights to use the streets."

Protester: "Have you buried your conscience? We're defenceless citizens and we obviously can't match your gear. How far are you going to go just to have your mouths fed?"

147.jpg
">

Police remove barricades which were fortified with cement by protesters on Monday night. Photo: Kathy Gao

10.20am: Scores of officers are still removing barricades. The bamboo barricade built by protesters yesterday outside the Bank of China has been demolished.

Another group of police officers armed with small shields has formed a cordon and they are in a stand-off with about 150 protesters, who are calm.

96547.jpg

Police remove bamboo barricades. Photo: Kathy Gao

10.16am: A section of Queensway is now locked down by police.

Near the Bank of China Building, a young woman says they are only a group of weaponless students and residents, and police should not use force.

785.jpg

Police form a cordon across Queensway. Photo: Thomas Chan

10.15am: There are scores of police equipped with all manner of hand tools to remove the barriers.

At least one giant crane has been brought into help with the operation.

oc-day17-admiralty-35b245d.jpg

Police remove barricades on Queensway in Admiralty. Photo: Alan Yu

10.12am: Officers have formed a cordon across Queensway to stop protesters from interfering with the clearance.

The barricades are being loaded onto a large yellow truck.

10.10am: Police are working very quickly, using power tool and cutters to clear the metal barricades.

Police in protective gear vastly outnumber the handful of protesters milling around. It is clear that this is a well planned operation.

10.06am: Hundreds of police have converged on Admiralty and are tearing up the protesters' tents and using chainsaws to cut through the bamboo barricades erected yesterday.

10am: This composite photo shows police gathering at the four corners of the Causeway Bay protest site this morning.

oc-day17-cwb-silvio.jpg

Police gather at the four corners of the Causeway Bay protest site on Tuesday morning. Photos: Sivio Carillo

9.40am: Chairman of the pro-Beijing Democratic Alliance for Betterment of Hong Kong Tam Yiu-chung, says Beijing is worried about the Umbrella Movement because it bears signs of the colour revolution in other countries, which Beijing believes were pushed by "foreign forces", such as students being the vanguards, a weak government and support from Western media and politicians.

Tam says "it is impossible" for Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying to step down because he is "simply executing the central government's decisions". He says students are demanding for things impossible to happen.

"We all understand that it's impossible to ask the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress to retrieve its decision and apologise," says Tam.

Tam believes even with screening, if a "one man, one vote" system is in place for the 2017 chief executive election, the city’s political environment will be different because the elected leader will have to be responsible to the people and pan-democrats can be "king makers".

He says Occupy protesters should move to other areas and let major roads open because many businesses have been affected and citizens have become "impatient and disgruntled" by the inconvenience. He says he is worried that the continuation of Occupy will cause more conflict between people with opposite opinions.

9.30am: We stopped some people going to work in Central this morning to ask their views on the protests:

Yeung Shing-kit, 30, accountant: I still support Occupy Central. “A lot of people complain about how it's making it hard for them to get to work but it doesn't seem so bad to me.
I used to take the tram from Wan Chai to get to work, now I take the MTR but I decided to try walking today. It took me a little less than 30 minutes which is actually comparable to taking the MTR.
The police taking down the barricades is fine, but I don't get the thugs we saw yesterday. The police have the right and the authority to take down barricades, not everyone does.”

Tung Tsit-shan, 37, works in finance, lives in Mid-Levels: “It hasn't affected my life that much, though I am enjoying the cleaner air since there are far fewer buses and cars on the road
I'm starting to get a little worried that it might end tragically, because we saw masked men with knives performing what looked a lot like violent acts yesterday
The police obviously have to do their job and undeniably clearing barricades could be part of their duties
I can't say which side is right or wrong, but I am impressed by how passionately the students are fighting for what they believe in.”

oc-day17-admiralty-35b1326.jpg

A commuter walks past bamboo barricades in Admiralty. Photo: SCMP Pictures

David Cooke, 34, works in finance, Australian, lives in Wan Chai: “I thought it was great to start with, but I think they've pushed their agenda a bit too far. All the momentum was in the first week, and they've managed to engage parts of Hong Kong that weren't engaged in the democracy argument. However, I think what's happening now is that mainstream Hong Kong is looking at the protests going ‘I don't understand it’, and the protests are being corrupted by the anti-Occupy protesters as well. So there's confusion, there's disarray and it's not going to end in a positive statement.
You had the anti-Occupy people who were wearing masks occupying the site of the Occupy protests, so you read that and you go, ‘I don't understand what's going on’. And you see last night the students were using masks as well, so you can't really determine who's for democracy and who's not.”

Kevin Tsang, 50, works in finance, lives in To Kwa Wan: “In the past I made money by flipping property and now you see some young people who feel like that's their only ticket to upward mobility, and yet more people who say the protesters won't have good job prospects ahead of them. From things like that you can see that the government has lost touch with Hongkongers.
When you walk past the protest areas, you see protesters taking the initiative and caring for each other, like building sturdier stairs to cross the concrete road dividers.
This shows that Hongkongers have become much more civic minded, unlike the past when all Hongkongers cared about was money. When I was young, I flipped property and cared a lot about getting rich. Before 1997, we were all content to live in a fish tank. But money really isn't everything.
Everything we do has a price, and the easiest way to satisfy the people whose lives are affected is for the government to show that it cares and do something. It doesn't even have to be a major compromise.”

9.20am: On Harcourt Road in Admiralty, 19-year-old protester Ming Yip, a Year Two Chinese studies student from Chinese University, is busy reading.

He says he hasn’t spent enough time on his schoolwork because of his participation in the protests.

"Like last night, when my friends were discussing political development, it's strange to take out some Chinese readings and read ... But I do need to read these to prepare for tutorial presentations."

Ming had borrowed a tent from a friend, and plans to stay at the protest, especially if the police or anti-Occupy protesters try to clear barricades again.

963258.png

Ming Yip plans to stay at the protest. Photo: Tony Cheung

9.10am: Commuters in Causeway Bay have conflicting views about the presence of the protests in the area.

"In the beginning I supported the students and their quest for democracy," says Zoe Hui, standing and waiting for a bus to head home on the newly reopened westbound Yee Wo Street. "But the movement has really affected people lives … if this continues, honestly, I'm going to get annoyed."

Hui, a cashier who works overnight at a restaurant in Causeway Bay, lives in Kam Tin. She says normally she could just hop on a bus and get home in an hour, but in the past week she has had to take the MTR, which took her almost double the time.

However, for Patrick Li, who works overnight in security, the inconvenience caused by the Occupy movement is tolerable. "I live in Hung Hom, I have lots of ways to get home," he says. "It's not a problem at all. I understand what they are fighting for, and the inconvenience caused is definitely acceptable."

altan8f28qs4nx1g3nk1yroqhuxus9ojcyqer5w-gilo11q.jpg

Police removed some barricades in Causeway Bay on Tuesday morning. Photo: Silvio Carrillo

8.55am: Alex Chow Yong-kang, secretary-general of the Federation of Students, visited the Causeway Bay Occupy zone this morning, and said none of the protest sites in Hong Kong would be given up.

"Occupy will not retreat - there's no way to retreat," the student leader said, blaming CY Leung's hard-line stance and his repeated declaration yesterday that he would not resign.

He said the dwindling number of protesters does not undermine the power and effects of the movement, adding that the biggest fear of protesters is the perceived collusion between the police and the anti-Occupy demonstrators.

oc-day17-admiralty-st-7-net.jpg

Admiralty on Tuesday morning. Photo: Sam Tsang

7.37am: Crowd estimates at protest sites:

Causeway Bay: 40-50

Mong Kok: 80

Admiralty: It is unclear how many people are in the approximately 750 tents. The figure has been revised up from 400 to include tents at Tim Mei Avenue.7.27am: Protester Kevin Ko Tin-fai, who has been helping organise supplies and barricades and dealing with housekeeping duties at Occupy Causeway Bay since day one, says protesters plan to build new barricades.

"After seeing the malicious action towards protesters in Admiralty yesterday, these road blocks are put in place to keep large and hostile crowds from directly getting to protesters," says Ko.

The new barricades - which will be made from whatever materials protesters can find - will be set up in front of Regal Hotel and on Hennessy Road and in front of Hysan Place, he says.

oc-day17-admiralty-st-2-net.jpg

Protester in Admiralty. Photo: Sam Tsang

6.40am: Protester KK Wong, who works in the computer industry, sits at the Causeway Bay barricades with his back facing police officers.

"Watch this space - let's see if what happened in Admiralty yesterday will happen here today," he says. "I am afraid, but it's because of this that I have to stay here and protect the others."

unnamed.jpg

KK Wong in Causeway Bay on Tuesday morning. Photo: Jennifer Ngo

Almost every night groups of people have tried to disrupt the protest in Causeway Bay, he says. A frequent common feature was their Cantonese with a heavy mainland accent, he says.

Causeway Bay resident Dee Sum, 34, says he doesn't approve of the police operation.

"As a Hongkonger, we bounce back," says the accountant. "We demonstrated that resolve in Admiralty yesterday."

A female doctor, who works in Causeway Bay, says she is "very happy to see barriers removed by police". She doesn't want to be named.

"I'm a doctor and my patients have suffered from these actions because they can't get to my clinic easily and some of them are cancer patients and travel long distances," she says.

oc-day17-cwb-silvio-2-net.jpg

Hennessy Road in Causeway Bay on Tuesday. Photo: Silvio Carrillo

6.45am: Admiralty: On Harcourt Road, a student speaks through a louspeaker: "Good morning everyone. There are 300 cops in Causeway Bay, some are removing barricades while others have surrounded protesters [...] Please go to Causeway Bay to help."

6.32am: As westbound traffic is restored on Yee Wo Street and a first truck passes through, protester Dennis Mok Yin-yuen, a first-year university student, says he was angry at police for shrinking the occupied area in Causeway Bay.

Mok said he was worried Monday's turn of events in Admiralty would repeat itself in Causeway Bay on Tuesday: first police remove barricades, then anti-Occupy groups appear. No major scuffles with Occupy critics have been reported so far on Tuesday.

altaijgqginrjvbouaguxy2zqr8ac7-t54emfouzejw_ddk.jpg

A first vehicle passes through Yee Wo Street. Photo: Danny Lee

6.28am: A police officer says the operation in Causeway Bay has ended.

6.12am: Police say they want to reopen the westbound lane of Yee Wo Street and Jardine's Bazaar to traffic.

altaj2wfmuswwmoo5kebdt4kbxkpgp-9ssibee_2ecja7q6.jpg

Police in Causeway Bay. Photo: Danny Lee

6.05am: Meanwhile in Admiralty, only eight police officers stand by idly under the Justice Drive flyover as bamboo and metal barricades block Queensway and protesters sleep in their tents.

In Mong Kok, some 100 protesters are camping out at the junction of Nathan Road and Argyle Street.

1413242024708_resized.jpg

Protesters at Occupy Mong Kok in the early hours of Tuesday. Photo: Edward Wong

6am: Ho Man-chi, 23, a social worker says: "The police came 10 minutes ago and they told us to clear the area. They promised to keep the eastbound lane open for protesters. They want to open the westbound lane for traffic."

danny2.jpg

5.45am: Some 250 police officers, many carrying shields, have begun removing barricades in Causeway Bay.

A senior operational commander says they "are clearing obstructions from the road and they are protecting government property."

photo.jpg

Police clearing barricades in Causeway Bay. Photo: Dickson Lee

He says police will not clear Occupy Causeway Bay, addng that barricades around the camp will be replaced by police barriers.

Police have formed a human chain around the protesters, effectively separating them from the barricades, which are being removed by other police officers.

altaol2psn2bni_40e8-jcagtisdaybpnuqtbkn6lwnz604.jpg

5.30am: The South China Morning Post's front-page on Tuesday:

frontpagetuesday.jpg

5.20am: Excerpts from the Post's coverage of the Occupy movement on Tuesday:

Thousands sign petition demanding CY Leung is stripped of honorary title

The appeal – which had more than 7,000 signatures by Sunday evening – calls for Polytechnic University to withdraw the “Honorary Outstanding PolyU Alumni” title given to Leung in 1997.

Activists man barricades they made themselves

"The thing is, the police said this morning they were just retrieving government property when they took away railings and cleared some of our barricades. Now they can't use the same excuse because the bamboo is private property."

Confederation of Trade Unions received grants from US-based NGO according to files sent to media

The senders of the documents, calling themselves Mong Kok Privacy Invaders, said in a note attached to the email that they were "ordinary people" who had their businesses affected by Occupy.

Meanwhile, Webb-site shared the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong's financial statement for 2013. The pro-Beijing political party reported an income of HK$107,238,786.72 last year.

5.15am: What the front pages of the local papers are saying:

Apple Daily: Fearless “Apple” keeps publishing

Oriental Daily: Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions, Lee Cheuk-yan receive US funds, orchestrate Occupy Central

Ming Pao: More than a hundred masked people tear down barricades with sharp objects

Sing Tao Daily: Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions received HK$20 million in aid from US over past 20 years

DianWei

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Anarchists & Opportunist Abound in HK Chaos

Anti-Occupy protesters defy court order, block Apple Daily delivery

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 14 October, 2014, 6:55am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 14 October, 2014, 7:42am

Eddie Lee and Peter So

imghkf53bk.1_ed1_page04_46149965.jpg

Police officers outside the Apple Daily offices in Tseung Kwan O. Photo: Handout

More than 100 people, mostly women wearing facemasks, surrounded the headquarters of the Apple Daily newspaper in the night to Tuesday in an ongoing effort to stop the newspaper’s operations.

The protesters said they wanted to voice their anger against what they regard as the newspaper’s favourable coverage of the Occupy movement.

The High Court issued a court order in the early hours of Tuesday, which called on the group to clear the newspaper office’s entrances.

The night to Tuesday marked the third consecutive night the group camped out at the Tseung Kwan O site.

Police officers formed a human chain to separate protesters from Apple Daily staff. It appears that not arrests have been made.

The group of mostly women continued to block the main gate until dawn. Delivery trucks could not enter the premises.

A Nathan Road newsstand owner surnamed Yuen, who runs his business near Occupy Mong Kok, said Tuesday was the second day the delivery of Apply Daily had been delayed.

As of 6.45am on Tuesday, he has yet to receive the newspaper. Usually, he receives the Apple Daily around 2am. Mr Tam, who runs a news stall on Shantung Street, said he received only ten copies of the Apple Daily through a distributor, but the paper was missing the sport and the business section. He also received 75 copies of the paper's entertainment and supplementary section, which have been delivered separately.

"How can I sell the paper without its front-page?" said Tam. "Many customers want to buy Apple Daily, but I have to reserve the few copies to some close customers."

In the previous night, protesters had left by dawn after delivery of the newspaper had effectively been delayed. Some protesters left on chartered buses, while others walked away.

Apple Daily boss may take court action over anti-Occupy protests at newspaper

PUBLISHED : Monday, 13 October, 2014, 4:16pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 14 October, 2014, 8:13am

Thomas Chan and Danny Mok

Jimmy Lai Chee-ying, the owner of Next Media, could seek a court injunction to stop protesters blocking operations at his flagship newspaper, the Apple Daily, according to an online video programme on its website.

Li Wai-ling, the programme host, said Lai would pursue legal avenues to prevent anti-Occupy groups from shutting down the newspaper's operations.

The delivery of Apple Daily copies yesterday was delayed for five to six hours after about 100 anti-Occupy protesters blocked the entrances of the newspaper's offices in a Tseung Kwan O industrial estate.

"I think this is a serious infringement of press freedom," Li said in the programme, adding that journalism associations should condemn the act.

Yesterday afternoon the media group reported that the Apple Daily website had been knocked offline by a massive cyberattack.

Apple Daily is a major local newspaper openly supporting the democracy protests sweeping the territory.

Police said protesters gathered outside the paper's headquarters on Chun Ying Street at about 3.45pm on Sunday.

The protesters said they wanted to voice their anger against what they regard as the newspaper's favourable coverage of the Occupy movement.

The group, mostly women, erected tents at the building's entrances, obstructing delivery trucks and staff buses.

Many of the protesters spoke Cantonese with a mainland accent.

It was the second consecutive night that anti-Occupy protesters had targeted the media group's headquarters.

Next Media employees appealed in vain for them to leave or at least to allow trucks to pass through. Police stepped in after the media group complained.

In the early morning hours, protesters allowed some trucks to leave the compound but examined the cargo to make sure they did not carry newspapers.

By 5am, almost all the protesters had left the scene either on foot or on private coaches that arrived to pick them up.

By 7am, copies of the Apple Daily started appearing at newsstands in Mong Kok and on Hong Kong Island. But some newsstand owners said that the newspapers were usually available at around 1am.

The protesters' departure gave the newspaper only a short reprieve. Yesterday afternoon, the newspaper said its website had been targeted by hackers, making it inaccessible for some readers.

DianWei

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

LIVE: Police vow 'Mong Kok is next' after tearing down barricades in Admiralty

UPDATED : Tuesday, 14 October, 2014, 6:08pm

Staff reporters

zqueens1.jpg

Good afternoon and welcome to our ongoing live coverage of Hong Kong's Occupy movement.

Hundreds of police with power tools tore down protesters’ barricades on Queensway in Admiralty this morning, following a swiftly executed dawn operation to remove a number of blockades in Causeway Bay.

In Tseung Kwan O, anti-Occupy protesters defied a court order and once again blocked the entrances to the Apple Daily newspaper headquarters, delaying the paper's delivery for a second day.

5.35pm: Police said they would soon take action in Mong Kok after removing barricades in Causeway Bay and Admiralty this morning.

Police spokesman Steve Hui Chun-tak, speaking at a regular press briefing, said officers would remove big obstacles in Mong Kok to restore partial - if not full - traffic.

He described Mong Kok as a "high-risk area" and prone to commotions.

Hui stressed that the planned action was not a clearance (ejecting protesters from the area) but a removal of barricades. But he urged protesters not to interfere with the officers. "Otherwise, they will be removed," he said. "We do not rule out [the possibility of] making arrests."

4.45pm: Causeway Bay: About 10 tramways union members held a quick demonstration, demanding that protesters clear the roads and allow tram services to resume fully.

Holding placards, the Hong Kong Tramway Workers Union members said they had to take “dramatic” pay cuts due to the suspensions of several lines between Sheung Wan and Causeway Bay. Tram captains’ salaries are hourly-based, so they rely on overtime work to boost their income.

The union members said they made less than HK$3,000 over the past two weeks. They also complained of higher transport costs, as they have to take taxis and the MTR due to bus route disruptions.

The protesters remained silent and the tram drivers left within minutes.

4.30pm:
A bride and groom on a mad dash to City Hall almost missed their appointment after getting stuck behind a police cordon in Admiralty, just as officers were wrapping up the demolitions of protest barricades.

The couple and their wedding party, including a photographer, had apparently gone to the wrong marriage registry and had to rush to City Hall in Central.

The bride, in a white gown, was seen running barefoot while holding her heels, hoping to cross into Central. However, when they reached the cordon between Lippo Centre and the High Court in Admiralty at around 11am, officers would not let them through.

The groom pleaded with the officers, but they were not allowed to pass due to safety reasons. Officers nearby were cutting up the bamboo that protesters used to fortify their barricades.

The distraught couple were asked to take a footbridge instead. According to reporters at the scene, the couple made it to City Hall in time, but they declined to speak to the press.

bride_and_groom_tony.jpg

A couple plead with police to let them through a cordon in Admiralty. Photo: Tony Cheung

3.45pm: Protesters are holding sit-ins in front of police cordons on Rodney Street and Tamar Street, two roads that lead to Queensway. Around 100 protesters are sitting, chatting and reading at one end of Rodney Street, in front of three layers of police.

Protesters said they were there to prevent the officers from advancing to the main protest site on Harcourt Road in Admiralty.

Meanwhile, around 70 protesters, joined by People Power lawmaker Albert Chan Wai-yip, are sitting peacefully at the Tamar Street junction. Twenty-eight policemen are standing guard.

signs_afp.jpg

Photo: AFP

20141014_150031_0.jpg

Protesters on Rodney Street, facing Queensway in Admiralty. Photo: Kathy Gao

3.25pm: New information has emerged about a second, more lucrative offer to buy Leung Chun-ying’s former company DTZ on the same day he agreed to an HK$50 million deal with Australian firm UGL, raising more questions about Leung’s conduct during that period.

The second offer, made by Tianjin Innovation Financial Investment Company according to the Chinese press, exceeded UGL’s bid by £90 million.

The existence of the second bid is likely to fuel more questions about Leung’s final days as a DTZ board member, and in particular, whether he was able to provide impartial advice on the merits of the second offer given that he stood to gain millions if UGL won the bid.

2.40pm:
China expert and former journalist Ching Cheong said the Occupy Central movement had been successful in some respects, even if the demands they set out were not fulfilled.

“The movement has successfully disintegrated violent police action. … It has also made sure that any proposal made [in line with the National People's Congress Standing Committee’s decision] on August 31 will not be successful” because of “negative sentiment” against it, Ching said.

Ching also said the government needed to hold talks with the Occupy leaders, even if they did not represent the majority.

2.05pm: Executive Councillor Regina Ip Lau Suk-yee and Democrats Chairwoman Emily Lau Wai-hing square off in a debate at the Foreign Correspondents' Club in Central.

UoWygrt.jpg

1.35pm: A spokesman for the coalition of truck drivers, Stanley Chiang Chi-wai, says members have not ruled out taking action to clear barricades blocking major roads on Hong Kong Island and in Mong Kok themselves, despite the police action this morning.

"It's better than nothing," he said, adding that roads in the city would remain congested.

Chiang says the coalition will meet tomorrow morning to discuss the matter and has urged protesters to leave Harcourt Road before Thursday.

"We might instead go to talk to protesters and convince them to leave," Chiang says, adding that an open letter would be issued to the Federation of Students this afternoon.

1.10pm: Queensway is now unoccupied and traffic is flowing relatively freely. Protesters appear to have abandoned the plan for a sit-in on the main road.

Police have said more officers will be drafted into the area to stop protesters from re-occupying the six-lane thoroughfare.

Police senior superintendent Kong Man-keung reiterated in a press briefing that the operation earlier today was to remove roadblocks to reduce traffic disruption in Hong Kong, not to clear out protesters. He said it took more than an hour-and-a-half to clear the barricades.

Chief Superintendent Duncan McCosh, officer in charge on the ground, said: "Our priority was to focus on the very significant barricades, primarily with a focus on the westbound, looking at two issues: public safety, because they used very substantial barriers, obviously creating a potential problem for any emergency vehicle coming through, and general convenience of the public.

"We appreciate that feelings are running high from many members of the community about this and we're caught in the middle and trying to do the best that we can for all parties."

He added: "It's been very long hours, there have been some trying conditions, they [police officers] face abuse, primarily verbal but they've been involved in some altercations as well, so it's been a tough job for the men and women on the ground."

1.02pm: Here are a couple of shots from the earlier barricade clearance:

zbarrier.jpg

zbarrier2.jpg

Meanwhile in Mong Kok two men dressed in construction worker outfits attempt to string a metal cable across Nathan Road. It's unclear why they are doing so, although one claims he wants to help protesting students reinforce their barricade.

Eventually protesters and police tell them to stop and after being questioned by officers they leave the scene.

zcons.jpg

Two men dressed as construction workers attempt to string a cable across Nathan Road. Photo: Edward Wong

wap.png

Protesters continue their sit-in as armed police face them. Photo: Robin Fall