• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

People with English names are often nicer than those with Chinese names

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you agree? :biggrin:

No. You can't really generalize about a person's character or personality based on his name. But I have made the observation that among Singaporean Chinese with English names – as opposed to English transliterations of Chinese names – there's a preponderance of these 3 types:

1. Jiak kentang white-worshipping internalized (self-hating) racists. The SPGs number among this group.
2. Fanatical bible-thumping Christian fundies.
3. Bengs and Lians who think that an English name confers sophistication and status. These usually give themselves weird, sometimes unpronounceable, names which actually have no English or European roots.

ChinaSux

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chinks tries to be ang mohs by giving themselves English names and with middle names like Jennifer Jennive Ang while ang mohs don't do the same to be like them. Yeah go ahead and zap me again but don't complain when i return favor to the PAP IB lowercase alphabet clones that are 24/7 here. :biggrin:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chinks tries to be ang mohs by giving themselves English names and with middle names like Jennifer Jennive Ang while ang mohs don't do the same to be like them. Yeah go ahead and zap me again but don't complain when i return favor to the PAP IB lowercase alphabet clones that are 24/7 here. :biggrin:

Agree. What I call the colonial mentality. That said, the Malays and Indians are less likely to give themselves Anglicised names even if some of them possess the same mentality. Up you later.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many Frens at Geylang go by the name Robert and Ahter, all very nice if you dont step on their toes. Also many Frens at Shenton Way go by the name of Tom, Dick and Harry also nice dudes if no talk money.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No. You can't really generalize about a person's character or personality based on his name. But I have made the observation that among Singaporean Chinese with English names – as opposed to English transliterations of Chinese names – there's a preponderance of these 3 types:

1. Jiak kentang white-worshipping internalized (self-hating) racists. The SPGs number among this group.
2. Fanatical bible-thumping Christian fundies.
3. Bengs and Lians who think that an English name confers sophistication and status. These usually give themselves weird, sometimes unpronounceable, names which actually have no English or European roots.

Even for the Christian banana-kentang folks who were born and raised as Christians, went to Sunday school etc... they never attend any of the Mandarin church services or read a Chinese bible. They also tend to struggle with the Chinese language in school, constantly having atrocious grades despite excelling in other subjects: maths, sciences, English literature etc. They never read Chinese newspapers or watch Channel 8 on tv.

uglyloser

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even for the Christian banana-kentang folks who were born and raised as Christians, went to Sunday school etc... they never attend any of the Mandarin church services or read a Chinese bible. They also tend to struggle with the Chinese language in school, constantly having atrocious grades despite excelling in other subjects: maths, sciences, English literature etc. They never read Chinese newspapers or watch Channel 8 on tv.

these types are always damm rich

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You find many of these in the alumni of ACS, SJI and CHIJ. They take pride (during my time) in failing their Chinese. An F9 grade is considered more prestigious than an S7 or C6 grade.:rolleyes:

Timerty

Alfrescian
Loyal
lol My o'level chinese score is F9/E8, retake still cannot improve. O'level do chinese composition flip the dictionary to find the words until no time to write lol

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So you don't think indian names reflect the ah neh mentality?

What mentality are you carping about?

You have an Indian name because you're born into an Indian family who profess the Hindu religion. If you're born into a Christian Indian family like JBJ, you have a Christian name. Does having Joshua as his first name give JBJ a Jewish mentality?

Sheesh. The quality of forummers here, esp the PAP IB, is deteriorating.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You find many of these in the alumni of ACS, SJI and CHIJ. They take pride (during my time) in failing their Chinese. An F9 grade is considered more prestigious than an S7 or C6 grade.:rolleyes:

The more Chinese-oriented schools have them too, although admittedly in lesser numbers than the mission schools.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
these types are always damm rich

Yeah, they live in condos and semi-d houses. I was always invited over to their place to play video games and board games, especially during the school holidays. Ah, those were the carefree days. :smile: