• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

People with English names are often nicer than those with Chinese names

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Why only English names? What about French, German, Italian or Scottish names?

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why only English names? What about French, German, Italian or Scottish names?

We were a British colony. So English – more precisely British – names predominate here. That said many English names have German (English is a Germanic language), French and Latin roots. And some are derivatives of Biblical names.

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
No. You can't really generalize about a person's character or personality based on his name. But I have made the observation that among Singaporean Chinese with English names – as opposed to English transliterations of Chinese names – there's a preponderance of these 3 types:

1. Jiak kentang white-worshipping internalized (self-hating) racists. The SPGs number among this group.
2. Fanatical bible-thumping Christian fundies.
3. Bengs and Lians who think that an English name confers sophistication and status. These usually give themselves weird, sometimes unpronounceable, names which actually have no English or European roots.

Now we tend to generalize again. Aren't we? Is generalization a Singaporean trait? :-)

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You find many of these in the alumni of ACS, SJI and CHIJ. They take pride (during my time) in failing their Chinese. An F9 grade is considered more prestigious than an S7 or C6 grade.:rolleyes:

agreed, dude. i was from SJI and none of the students were concerned about their mandarin (or lack thereof). I learnt my mandarin in the KTVs. :smile: :biggrin:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now we tend to generalize again. Aren't we? Is generalization a Singaporean trait? :-)

The Sinkie have this characterisitc of generalization that came about from their ruling Masters.

Just like their dictatortial rulers that dictate that Sinkie over 55 cannot manage their retirement funds, Sinkie on the other hand generalise that those who have are FTs are not ppl that are desirable or beneficial to them.

It's a Sinkie trait. And this is just the tip of the iceberg of how much of a hypocrites Sinkie are, when it comes to their own kind of behavior.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah there's nothing more wrong than a chinese having a chinese name. The non Christians are like the Anglo dog old fart. But even he does not use Harry anymore