• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP Spin - You are rich

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How much are S'poreans saving?

Cai Haoxiang
The Business Times
Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014

SINGAPORE - A treasure trove of data was published last week when the Department of Statistics released the results of its latest Household Expenditure Survey, held once every five years.

What are the implications for the investor?

The data can prove useful in benchmarking yourself against the population, to see where you stand in saving and spending.

The survey ranked households according to how much they earn and dissected their expenditure accordingly.

From the charts, one can see that the lowest fifth of households spend more than what they earn. That puts them in a deficit every month. The other four fifths of households are in surplus every month.

Interestingly, this group is increasingly spending a smaller chunk of their income over time. By implication, they are saving more over time. Similarly, the deficit of the lowest fifth of households as a proportion of their income is narrowing over time.

We can calculate a "savings rate" based on how much is left over after spending, as a proportion of one's original income.

For example, in 2002-3, the fifth of households that is second from the bottom, the 21st to 40th percentiles, saved 20 per cent of their income. In 2012-3, they were saving about a third.

The top fifth of households saved 63 per cent of their income in 2002-3. In 2012-3, they were saving a whopping 69 per cent.

Even the 41st-60th percentile, a group that is solidly middle class, appear to be saving 44 per cent of their income every month.

The numbers are puzzling, given the vociferous complaints about how Singapore has become a much more expensive place to live in.

Are expenditures understated?

The survey looks extremely rigorous. It covered over 8,000 households in Singapore, and spanned over a year to ensure spending patterns during festivals and holidays were captured.

Mortgage payments and renovation expenses were included. Ad hoc spending on big-ticket items like holidays, weddings and funerals were also included to minimise underreporting of expenditure. The latest survey even included a section on spending on Internet purchases.

However, non-consumption expenditure such as loan principal repayments, income taxes, and the purchase of houses - a major distortional figure - were not included.

Income taxes are not significant for most of the population except for the highest earners. So the top fifth of the population probably save less than they appear to.

Are income numbers giving a wrong impression then? These include employer Central Provident Fund (CPF) contributions to give a fairer reflection of what constitutes income.

Money in the CPF, however, is not perceived to hold the same value as money in the bank, because there are restrictions on how one can spend that money.

Let's say that we just want to figure out how much money is going into the bank every month, excluding money going into CPF accounts. Once we exclude employer CPF contributions from our definition of "savings", savings rates fall to 24 per cent to 43 per cent for the middle three-fifths of the population.

We then take out employee CPF contributions, which can be up to 20 per cent of one's income. If we assume that the maximum 20 per cent is put into CPF, we are left with more modest savings rates of 9 to 28 per cent for the middle three-fifths.

In other words, if your household belongs to the middle three-fifths of the population by income and the household saves anywhere from 10 to 30 per cent of its total income in cash, it is saving at a rate comparable to its peers'.

In essence, enforced CPF contributions probably contribute another 25 percentage points to one's savings rate.

After crunching the numbers, the typical household probably saves $1,500 in cash every month, while the above-average household by income can put about $3,000 in the bank. Money for the top fifth of households, meanwhile, is probably piling up at the rate of about $10,000 a month.

For the rest of the population, the CPF system is helping them save a considerable amount of money - equal to or more than what they can leave in a bank.

Most people will probably not see their bank balances grow at the same rate as CPF's, leading to worries about not making ends meet and angst about how much money is locked away in the provident fund.

But seen from the outside - with Americans typically having personal savings rates of just 5 per cent - Singaporeans aren't doing too badly on the savings front.

This article by The Business Times was published in MyPaper, a free, bilingual newspaper published by Singapore Press Holdings.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Contrary to popular opinion in this forum, it looks like the PAP is doing an excellent job after all.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But seen from the outside - with Americans typically having personal savings rates of just 5 per cent - Singaporeans aren't doing too badly on the savings front.

Americans have social security ...from 67, they get $2k per month indexed to inflation till they die. Also, they get free health care.

Shows the ignorance of sinkees.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... From the charts, one can see that the lowest fifth of households spend more than what they earn. That puts them in a deficit every month ...

The top fifth of households saved 63 per cent of their income in 2002-3. In 2012-3, they were saving a whopping 69 per cent ...
concrete evidens dat rich getting richer n poor getting poorer in sinkielan ...

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Read between the lines lah ...I even bold some of them for you to figure it out. Sorry hor, I cannot spoonfeed you.

Yes I read the bold parts too and this does not alter the evidence that the PAP is doing a fantastic job compared to most other countries.

The fact that many Singaporeans can retire in comfort proves beyond doubt that a strong economy, the abundance of jobs and asset enhancement combine to make Singaporeans one of the luckiest people on earth.

In fact there has been a surge of arrivals of retired Sinkies in their mid 40s who have cashed out and are retiring in NZ. I just met a whole group of them at a recent get together. A number of them told me that others in their cohort are planning to do the same.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
look when u earn shit it doesnt matter how much u save......u can say the people in india save 50% of their income but they earn $5 a day so it means jackshit.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
look when u earn shit it doesnt matter how much u save......u can say the people in india save 50% of their income but they earn $5 a day so it means jackshit.

Yes but Singaporeans don't earn $5 per day. They are very well off on the international scale.

You can see where Singapore falls at http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-17543356

It is just below Germany and ahead of Australia and NZ.

LEGEND

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

However, non-consumption expenditure such as loan principal repayments, income taxes, and the purchase of houses - a major distortional figure - were not included.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As it is now, we ordinary older citizens are feeling the pinch !:mad:

Give us back all OUR hard-earned CPF at age 55 NOWWWW !!:mad:

It is OUR blood and sweat money from years of toiling and not for you to keep!!:mad:

You can sit on your ivory tower eating big fish and big meat everyday while we have to get by with simple meals and work until we are 65 (soon to be 67) !!:oIo:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
You can sit on your ivory tower eating big fish and big meat everyday while we have to get by with simple meals and work until we are 65 (soon to be 67) !!:oIo:

Nobody is being forced to work beyond 55. Those who are innovative and productive should be able to retire well before they are 50 and won't even need to factor CPF savings into the retirement equation.

I have left more than $500,000 in my CPF account because it is earning excellent interest and is safe and secure in the hands of Singapore government.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As it is now, we ordinary older citizens are feeling the pinch !:mad:

Give us back all OUR hard-earned CPF at age 55 NOWWWW !!:mad:

It is OUR blood and sweat money from years of toiling and not for you to keep!!:mad:

Do you ivory tower people understand the plight of us elderly ordinary citizens ?:mad:

For you everyday eat big fish big meat and drink the finest wine but for me an ordinary citizen drinking a pathetic can of Heineken bought from a provision shop is considered a treat !:oIo::o

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Do you ivory tower people understand the plight of us elderly ordinary citizens ?:mad:

Ordinary citizens lead ordinary lives because they did ordinary jobs and put in only ordinary effort during their productive years.

If they wanted an "ivory tower" standard of living, they should have started planning to get there early in their careers. There's no point crying over spilt milk when they get to old age.

LEGEND

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ordinary citizens lead ordinary lives because they did ordinary jobs and put in only ordinary effort during their productive years.

If they wanted an "ivory tower" standard of living, they should have started planning to get there early in their careers. There's no point crying over spilt milk when they get to old age.

If everybody tries to get creative, who the fuck is going to do the execution? Who is going to serve you drinks and food when you visit a restaurant when everybody is a towkay? Without these ordinary folks, no one can be rich. Be more appreciative, you twat. :oIo:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
If everybody tries to get creative, who the fuck is going to do the execution? Who is going to serve you drinks and food when you visit a restaurant when everybody is a towkay? Without these ordinary folks, no one can be rich. Be more appreciative, you twat. :oIo:

I fully agree that ordinary folks are needed. However, what I abhor is this constant complaining from the ordinary about how hard their lives are compared to those who are more successful.

People need to learn to accept their station in life. If they don't make it to the upper echelons, they should acknowledge that they can't make the grade and learn to live a humble life. The rich don't owe them a comfortable existence.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I fully agree that ordinary folks are needed. However, what I abhor is this constant complaining from the ordinary about how hard their lives are compared to those who are more successful.

People need to learn to accept their station in life. If they don't make it to the upper echelons, they should acknowledge that they can't make the grade and learn to live a humble life. The rich don't owe them a comfortable existence.

We ordinary citizens are asking what is OURS and not complaining !!:mad:

Just give us back all OUR CPF money at age 55 NOWWW !!:mad:

LEGEND

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fair enough.

Please advise on the 2 following extremely contradicting statements.....
I have left more than $500,000 in my CPF account because it is earning excellent interest :confused: and is safe and secure in the hands of Singapore government.
Screw the CPF! :confused: Beat Ho Ching's returns by converting your SGD to ARS and earn 27.18% interest immediately. :confused:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
We ordinary citizens are asking what is OURS and not complaining !!:mad:

Just give us back all OUR CPF money at age 55 NOWWW !!:mad:

The problem with ordinary citizens is that they are very poor at money management. If they were any good they'd have more than enough money saved up (like me) to be able to withdraw a big chunk of their CPF savings when they turn 55.

Because they are ordinary, their expenditure needs to be controlled. The minimum sum achieves this aim.

LEGEND

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem with ordinary citizens is that they are very poor at money management. If they were any good they'd have more than enough money saved up (like me) to be able to withdraw a big chunk of their CPF savings when they turn 55.

Because they are ordinary, their expenditure needs to be controlled. The minimum sum achieves this aim.

No lah, cannot like that say lah. Their money is their money. Good or poor management has nothing to do with it. 55yrs old get back everything means everything. No what minimum sum what 62 years old. This is bullshit lah. :oIo: