• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Platini surprised by Fifa action over watch gifts

DefJam

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Platini surprised by Fifa action over watch gifts

416437_heroa.jpg

Robin Bairner
Sep 19, 2014 14:25:11

The Frenchman received a timepiece worth €20,000 four months ago and is frustrated by the manner and timing of demands he return it

Uefa president Michel Platini has hit out at Fifa for their attitude towards watches that were handed out as gifts by the Brazilian FA (CBF) at the World Cup this summer.

In total, 65 Parmigiani timepieces, worth €20,000, were handed out to various delegates over the course of the summer, including Fifa Executive Committee members and representatives of national parties arriving at the competition. However, on Thursday Fifa announced that such gifts contravened their rules and demanded they be returned by October 25.

Platini, who announced in August that he would not run for the Fifa presidency, has responded by hitting out at both the timing and the manner of the announcement.

“In this case, I am surprised,” he said. “First, I am surprised at the value of the watch. And then I'm surprised by Fifa’s press release: if the Ethics Committee was not happy, they should have told us that four months ago when we received the watches. But it is only after an article in the British press that we are told via a press release: ‘You need to return these watches right now.’

“I do not like the tone of Fifa and I'm surprised it’s happening.

“I will find out the exact value of the watch and I’ll give that money to a charity, but I repeat, I’m surprised how Fifa have conducted this.”

Fifa has promised it will donate the gifts to groups that promoted corporate responsibility in Brazil.