• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Watching BBC programs for free

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You're still paying in the form of a fibre connection.

Nothing in Spore is free lah. Actually I am paying the same $$$. It's just that I now no longer have to pay Starhub for cable TV. I am now only paying more for a faster internet connection.

Didn't realise that there are so much free stuff out there:eek: All that one needs is a Roku box, or a browser to watch free channels like BBC, or the XBMC software to access movies & real time US channels. I haven't even started looking at the Chinese sites. I will need a VPN to bypass the China Wall.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With fiber cable I can now watch many FREE shows online. If you like British programs I recommend visiting the BBC. That's where I go to watch the latest Dr. Who series:smile:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/most-popular

You can watch those shows anytime even without a fiber connection. All you need to do is to access with a UK proxy to view the geoblocked content.

You sound quite surprised. Have you been living under a rock recently?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You can watch those shows anytime even without a fiber connection. All you need to do is to access with a UK proxy to view the geoblocked content.

You sound quite surprised. Have you been living under a rock recently?

Is the BBC site I pointed to geo blocked:confused:

Previously had a really slow connection of 3 Mbps so couldn't really explore all the interesting movie/TV sites. Also didn't really have to because I had a subscription with Starhub. Got connected to fiber only for a month & that's why I have been playing around with a Roku box, XBMC, etc.

With so much free stuff out there Starhub might have a problem.

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Install xbmc and fusion repo. Search for FTV video plugin. No need stupid proxies. Give local TVs the middle finger. Angmo programs lumber one.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any proxy based in the UK will allow access to BBC iPlayer. I normally use TunnelBear.

Is there any equivalent I can use to view Singapore TV from abroad?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Install xbmc and fusion repo. Search for FTV video plugin. No need stupid proxies. Give local TVs the middle finger. Angmo programs lumber one.

The local Channel 8 variety shows are getting from bad to worse... brain-dead and low budget. It's a travel or makan show, or show Gurmit Singh trying to speak Chinese and act cute. :rolleyes:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
There's hardly any english news radio station in Thailand so for my daily drive I depend on the BBC podcasts a lot. Oh its free of course.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's hardly any english news radio station in Thailand so for my daily drive I depend on the BBC podcasts a lot. Oh its free of course....

In Spore although there is news in english, much of it is propaganda. That's why I watch the alternate news like CNN, BBC & CNBC.

I've managed to get streaming news for CNN & MSNBC using XBMC. Have NHK news via my Roku box, Have seen CNBC on Roku but it will not install because it is Geo blocked. That's why I'm now looking at getting a smart DNS/VPN account for my Roku & iPad.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I just downloaded an App for my iPad named "UK TV" & it is like having a Roku box on an iPad. From within this app I can access Live TV streams from many UK stations.
Here is a list: BBC London, BBC World, Sky New, Sky 1, Tom & Jerry, BB-Click, BBC Panorama, ....Al Jazeera News,World Fashion TV, The Active Channel, ..

You also access Live Radio channels. About 30+ radio stations in Britain
Also have Music & an assortment of movies clips.

This is a free app. If you have decent internet connection you can probably use this app. The site it accesses might be geo blocked:confused: I don't know because my ISP has a DSN thingee which is supposed hide my location?
It doesn't always work:(

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I also found a "US TV" app. Will try it out when I have time. From a quick look it appears to be more of a short movie clips, rather than streaming of TV channels.