• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Red House Bakery in Katong

vincenttan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now I know why it takes such a long time to revive the Red House because its owned by the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore :eek:

In the oven... Red House Bakery revival
20140915_RedHouseBakery.jpg
SINGAPORE - The Red House Bakery in Katong will soon be revived, and the search is on for an operator who will take over the premises and dole out traditional bread and pastries.

The new bakery will open in 2016, in the same two-storey shophouse where the well-known Katong Bakery and Confectionary opened in 1931, behind a fire-engine-red facade.

Developer Warees Investments, the real-estate development arm of the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (Muis), is inviting businesses and start-ups to set up there.

Warees Investments has specified that bakery products must be halal. The bakery must also sell "signature delicacies, original or improvised, of the Old Katong Bakery".

Old patrons welcomed the revival, but hoped the new shop would stay true to old tastebuds.

"Don't add so much sugar, like all the bakeries today. Just stick to traditional recipes," said May Wong, 53, who runs a photocopying shop at Roxy Square across the street.

She was a regular at the Katong Bakery, which she would visit for kaya toast and coffee served in F&N glasses, before it closed in 2003.
But not all old-timers are excited. "It's nothing special, just nostalgia," said Judy Yong, 67, a fashion designer who visited the bakery in the 70s.

"Only young people will be curious," she said. "It's nothing special to us - just cake and coffee. I can make them myself."

Raymond Wong, 35, who owns neighbouring kueh shop Rumah Kim Choo, identified the labour-intensive nature of bakeries as a problem.
"Too much time is spent on a $3 loaf of bread. If they want to open a bakery there, it will be difficult unless the developer is willing to lower the rental," he said.

However, Mr Wong noted that old-style bakeries have gained popularity in the past few years.

This boost reversed the fortune of another historic Hainanese confectionary in the neighbourhood, Chin Mee Chin.
"Chin Mee Chin used to be declining in business, but they were one of the last left standing, so business in recent years has boomed," said Mr Wong.

The upcoming Red House Bakery is part of an integrated heritage development project called The Red House, which consists of 42 residential units and six shophouses. To date, 24 residential units have been sold.

To ensure that The Red House residents are not disturbed by sit-in patrons, the bakery will only offer take-aways.

Warees Investments also said that the new bakery would be run as a social enterprise, in the spirit of philanthropist Sheriffa Zain Alsharoff Mohamed Alsagoff, who put the property in trust as a wakaf, or religious bequest, in 1957. Proceeds from The Red House project will be used to provide free medical care to the needy.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What's wrong? The eastern part of Singapore has always been Malay territory: Tampines, Eunos, Aljunied, Geylang Serai.

I hope George Quek keeps his paws off it. :mad:

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Another heritage gone...I still remember going there with my parents for afternoon tea.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Only the facade remain....the new bakery got nothing to do with the old one.....just riding on the old premises' fame to con nostalgic folks.
Pretty much like what is happening in Singapore.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another heritage gone...I still remember going there with my parents for afternoon tea.

Was there another red house in town?
Somewhere along Victoria street facing the present raffles city......
I remembered going there for ice cream.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

it was opposite chij (now chimes) and occupied by carlton hotel now - junction of bras basah rd and victoria st.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it was opposite chij (now chimes) and occupied by carlton hotel now - junction of bras basah rd and victoria st.

Yes that's the one.....along the same row of shops at the corner was a papaya farm lasup bar.....remembered a hi-fi shop too with the big AKAI neon logo

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

bendemeer lah... that one selling old furniture. the aunty give you ice cream huh? song boh? lolz