• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Excuse me, are you familiar with Bukit Timah Road?

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bukit%2BTimah%2BRoad%2B1.jpg

Which part of Bukit Timah Road is this?

I can't identify it at all.......

Can anyone help?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Which part of Bukit Timah Road is this?

I can't identify it at all.......

Can anyone help?

View from the junction of Mackenzie Road / Bukit Timah Road / Kampong Java Road (now view from KK Hospital ), in the direction of the town. The present Alfa Centre now stands on the vacant site at the extreme right(ca 1908).
:o ... ... ...

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bukit Timah hill is very forested, if you stand anywhere in the hill, you will be surrounded by trees and won't be able to see far. BTW, I was told there is a bigfoot or sasquatch type creature that inhabits the forests in the area called the Bukit Timah man, anyone seen it?

Cheers!

lianbeng replies: If u stand on top of Bt Timah Hill, u can see the whole stretch of land below belonging to the hill lah! :biggrin: That was before roads came into being lor!

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
:o ... ... ...

nYes I agree..... must be near Alfa Centre/Kampong Java junction......

Tigers used to roam at Bukit Timah hill areas...... it was recorded that every day - one person would be attacked by tigers because of jungle clearing activities....

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bukit Timah hill is very forested, if you stand anywhere in the hill, you will be surrounded by trees and won't be able to see far. BTW, I was told there is a bigfoot or sasquatch type creature that inhabits the forests in the area called the Bukit Timah man, anyone seen it?

Cheers!

lianbeng replies: u mean like Tarzan or King Kong type? :confused:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I haven't seen the creature, live or photo. But I suspect it'll be more king kong type. Tarzan is too clean shaven to live in the jungle and I don't think he has money to buy razors to shave.

Bukit Timah area's jungle may be too small to contain such creatures. It is more likely it exists in Sumatra. There has been reported sightings of a hominid they call Orang Pendek there. Would love to join an expedition to look for it.

Cheers!

lianbeng replies: u mean like Tarzan or King Kong type? :confused:

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Looking at the size of the trees, it would seem that Bukit Timah road would have been in operation for at least 30 years before the picture was taken......

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes, back in the 1830s' days when sg was a fishing village and a virgin jungle. here's the info.

http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/infopedia/articles/SIP_1081_2007-01-17.html

Tigers used to be found in the wild in Singapore. They were sighted mostly in the areas of Bukit Timah, Choa Chu Kang and Pulau Ubin. They were a menace when large areas of Singapore's forests were cleared for roads and plantations. The intensive hunt for tigers which was accompanied by rewards led to their diminished numbers.

Early Records
The first record of tigers is found in the first newspaper in Singapore, the Singapore Chronicle, dated 8 September 1831. There it was reported that a Chinaman was killed by a tiger and that probably the same tiger killed a native shortly after that. Singapore then was still covered by thick virgin jungle and it was home to pigs and deer which were food to tigers. The island formed part of a larger hunting ground for these tigers. Being good swimmers, tigers had been known to swim cross the Straits of Johore into Singapore.

When the cultivation of gambier and pepper took off in the 1840s, plantations extended beyond town and encroached on virgin jungle. By the late 1840s, the number of plantations peaked at 600. Chinese plantation coolies became easy targets for tigers. Reports of encounters with tigers increased in the 1830s and 1840s. In 1835, G. D. Coleman and his convict workers were laying out a new road through a swamp in the jungle near town when they were attacked though no one was killed.

Ravages by tigers grew so intense that it was said by the middle of the 19th century, tigers claimed one life a day. This could be doubted although not improbable. At first, estate owners tried to cover up the truth but by mid-1840s they gave up. In 1859, one village near Bukit Timah was abandoned due to too many attacks. Bukit Timah was nicknamed "A tiger Resort". It was reported that 390 lives were killed in 1857. It was likely that the actual number was more as many tiger attacks went unreported.

Containing the Tiger Menace
The government gave a reward of $20 for every tiger killed but the increasing number of casualties led to the reward being increased to $50 then to $100. Tiger hunting became a rewarding sport offering money and adventure. Pits of 4 to 4.5 m were dug and traps set. Tigers caught were hauled out alive and put into strong rattan baskets which the tigers could not bite through. Indian convicts who were experts in hunting tigers were also employed by the government. With so many tigers killed, their numbers dwindled and they eventually perished. One French Canadian named Carrol made tiger hunting a business for himself. Occasional reports of tiger attacks were still heard towards the end of the 19th century; a man was killed by a tiger in Thomson Road in 1890 and two tigers shot at Bukit Timah in 1896. The last wild tiger, roaming in Choa Chu Kang area, was killed in the 1930s.

06052010619-580x435.jpg