• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

OCBC: Cancel Credit Card Must Still Pay Annual Fee!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]DEAR TRS, PLEASE WARN YOUR READERS OF OCBC SCAMMING MONEY![/h]
Post date:
12 Sep 2014 - 7:31pm

<above pic: click on the image above for clearer view>
Dear The Real Singapore,
I would like to alert your readers to the bullying and scamming tactics of OCBC Bank.
2 years ago they told me I qualified for their Elite World Card and sent it to me free of charge. I have only used the card once in these 2 years. This July they sent me a statement asking me to pay an annual fee of $1605. I did not want to pay such a huge sum as I barely used the card so I told them to either waive the annual fee or terminate the card. I received a SMS from my relationship manager informing me that the annual fee cannot be waived so can she proceed to terminate the card. I gave her the go ahead and she told me a staff from the call centre would call me to get my authorisation for the card termination.
I received a call from a 'Foreign Talent' staff of the call centre asking me to confirm if I would like to terminate the card and I said yes and asked her if this meant that I can disregard the bill for the annual fee.
She insisted that because the fee cannot be waived so it means that I still have to pay the annual fee even if the card is terminated. This is ridiculous! Why do I have to pay the any fee when I am terminating the card and not utilising any of the services that come with the card? I tried explaining this to her and telling her how illogical it was that I am still liable to pay the annual fee. She insisted that I had to pay and said that my relationship manager had told her clearly that the annual fee cannot be waived.
She kept asking me if she can proceed with the termination and I told her why should I terminate it if I still have to pay the annual fee? She failed to realise how illogical she sounded and was only interested in getting me to confirm the card termination. I was really upset and told her I did not want to speak to her and she should get a senior officer to call me instead.

Is OCBC so hard up to collect the annual fee that they even make customers who terminate the card pay for it? I did not even apply for the card and there is no way I am going to pay $1605 for it. What OCBC is doing is akin to daylight robbery.
I am really upset with them and wonder if I can raise the matter with MAS or the Association of banks. Are banks allowed to give people "complimentary" credit cards and then force them to pay huge annual fees later even if they want to terminate the card? What do you think?

Serene Ho
TRS reader

Editor's Note: We have forwarded this letter to OCBC bank for clarifications. No response as of yet.

quartz28

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=1]DEAR TRS, PLEASE WARN YOUR READERS OF OCBC SCAMMING MONEY![/h]
Post date:
12 Sep 2014 - 7:31pm

<above pic: click on the image above for clearer view>
Dear The Real Singapore,
I would like to alert your readers to the bullying and scamming tactics of OCBC Bank.
2 years ago they told me I qualified for their Elite World Card and sent it to me free of charge. I have only used the card once in these 2 years. This July they sent me a statement asking me to pay an annual fee of $1605. I did not want to pay such a huge sum as I barely used the card so I told them to either waive the annual fee or terminate the card. I received a SMS from my relationship manager informing me that the annual fee cannot be waived so can she proceed to terminate the card. I gave her the go ahead and she told me a staff from the call centre would call me to get my authorisation for the card termination.
I received a call from a 'Foreign Talent' staff of the call centre asking me to confirm if I would like to terminate the card and I said yes and asked her if this meant that I can disregard the bill for the annual fee.
She insisted that because the fee cannot be waived so it means that I still have to pay the annual fee even if the card is terminated. This is ridiculous! Why do I have to pay the any fee when I am terminating the card and not utilising any of the services that come with the card? I tried explaining this to her and telling her how illogical it was that I am still liable to pay the annual fee. She insisted that I had to pay and said that my relationship manager had told her clearly that the annual fee cannot be waived.
She kept asking me if she can proceed with the termination and I told her why should I terminate it if I still have to pay the annual fee? She failed to realise how illogical she sounded and was only interested in getting me to confirm the card termination. I was really upset and told her I did not want to speak to her and she should get a senior officer to call me instead.

Is OCBC so hard up to collect the annual fee that they even make customers who terminate the card pay for it? I did not even apply for the card and there is no way I am going to pay $1605 for it. What OCBC is doing is akin to daylight robbery.
I am really upset with them and wonder if I can raise the matter with MAS or the Association of banks. Are banks allowed to give people "complimentary" credit cards and then force them to pay huge annual fees later even if they want to terminate the card? What do you think?

Serene Ho
TRS reader

Editor's Note: We have forwarded this letter to OCBC bank for clarifications. No response as of yet.

She is either faking /trolling or she's a big GCB (gong Chee bye)....since when does one need to pay for credit card ...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Annual fees used to be common in the old days. Amex would charge a fee whether or not you actually used the card. Other banks would waive the fee if you charged a certain $x dollars amount per year.

Then banks like Maybank started to waive this annual fee in order to attract more customers & that is why I have a Maybank card. It was my 1st credit card.

Soon more banks started to drop these fees to get more customers. I've got a couple of cards but only actively use one of them. So every year I have to call the banks to waive the fee.

So far all the banks I've contacted have agreed to waive the fee. I've got an OCBC VISA card. It was actually a Robinson card that was upgraded to a credit card. OCBC has always agreed to waive the fee so really surprise this person is having problems

Gotze

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is a card for HNW customers. I think the bank can charge any amount they want for this group of clientele. It is already ultra competitive market dealing with HNWs. If OCBC can charge $1500 annual fee, it means there are many HNWs willing to pay that much. No big deal.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe its part of agreement when you sign up! Maybe the credit limit is very high. But this annual fee us way too much. But if you do not need the card, why bother taking it in the first place?

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe its part of agreement when you sign up! Maybe the credit limit is very high. But this annual fee us way too much. But if you do not need the card, why bother taking it in the first place?

Got freebies?
Many credit cards in sg give freebies when u sign up and subject to conditions such as no cancellation within first year.

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a card for HNW customers. I think the bank can charge any amount they want for this group of clientele. It is already ultra competitive market dealing with HNWs. If OCBC can charge $1500 annual fee, it means there are many HNWs willing to pay that much. No big deal.

Agreed, but as you said, it's a ultra competitive market, so why are they still charging $1.5k?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
tis bank is a f**ked up bank ... me oredi stopped all dealings wif tis bank ...

dey wil take a loong time 2 refund u ur moni ... u haf 2 call dem up n scold their customer servis officer b4 dey return u ur moni ...

Lizzert

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN....HNW sinkie obviously took advantage of card perks for 2 yrs then now KPKB about fees.
Typical Chow Kuan Sinkie..why did not cancel card earlier if not useful .

Lizzert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed, but as you said, it's a ultra competitive market, so why are they still charging $1.5k?

This type of card got extra special perks that normal gold /platinum card dont have ..Also not given to any Ah Beng or Ah Seng
but High Net worth Big Fuck Individuals.. thats why 1.5K pa fee.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
KNN....HNW sinkie obviously took advantage of card perks for 2 yrs then now KPKB about fees.
Typical Chow Kuan Sinkie..why did not cancel card earlier if not useful .

You know, I hardly use my credit card. And I never bothered to redeem the loyalty points for the crap they put out. I use the credit card primarily as an EZ Link card.

If you cancel the card, you probably should not pay the annual fee. Also, you can always request for a waiver.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

These so called high fees are purely for marketing purposes, to project a sense of value to card members and bank customers. The reality is that one phone call, they are waived. The "worst" example is DBS credit cards - when you ring up, one of the options is request for fee waiver. Press that, and if you have been spending a reasonable amount with them, bingo, it's waived immediately.

CITI CARD tries to act high class. They offer the same option, tell you to wait for their SMS in three days. Which arrives, telling you that the fees have been waived.

Even AMEX are now advertising openly that first year membership fees are waived for one of their platinum cards.

SUMMARY - NO ONE needs to pay for any credit card membership fees anymore!

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Clearly, Serene Ho is a dumbfuck and the comments here also shows clearly how fucked up and dumb some of you are.

Membership fee is paid forward, meaning it is paid in advance.

So, if the bank decides not to waive its membership fee, just call up the fucking hotline and cancel. There is no way the bank can charge you for membership fee. It's not even a request for waiver. It's CANCELLATION.

KNN, the hotline person is just as ignorant as the TRS writer. I'm surprised she qualifies for such a card when her ability to comprehend such a simple matter and how to resolve it is that of a peabrain.

There is no fucking need to argue with the hotline or call the relationship manager for advice or what fuck.

And posting that cheebye screenshot does nothing to her case. It ain't showing anything, like trying to say the bank is scamming her, which it isn't.

But it's true. Avoid OCBC. It's the most fucked up bank in Singapore!!

tanakow

Alfrescian
Loyal
This credit card likely comes with some goodies that are worth thousand of dollars, which is different from the normal cards. Likely that guy after helping himself to the goodies refuses to do his part of the shares eg charging a certain amt of money.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Surprised that annual fee is so high. Never come across any card like that. even Amex doesnt charge more than $200.

What I'll do to cancel the card is just to cut it into two and send it back. No point argueing. No way the bank going to sue you.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This credit card likely comes with some goodies that are worth thousand of dollars, which is different from the normal cards. Likely that guy after helping himself to the goodies refuses to do his part of the shares eg charging a certain amt of money.

So the thing we can take away from this incident is that the freebies that come with credit cards aren't really free. Also, most people don't read the fine print when they sign up for something.