• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

reminicsing HILL ST and ellenborough st hawker centres.....

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
they demolished hill st hc which was just next to the fire station. it was so conveniently located with a link bridge to funan centre. it was my favorite hawker centre where once the most to die-for char kuay teows were located. yes, 2 very fantastic stalls.

it was a 2 storeys hawker centre with lots of honest to goodness food.

on the ground floor, i remember there was a very happening teochew fishball noodle and many others.

the lst floor boasted a even wider range of foods that are now quite difficult to find. there was the goose/duck rice. there was a very kindly auntie who ran a veggie rice stall. she sold it very cheap and cooked it fresh cos her dishes were all finished in record time! and the way she cooked up a home-made dish was also record time.

now everything dear to us and tummy are all being gradually destroyed.

the place where hill st hc is now is still not utilised until now. sometime u just cannot figure why then in the first the gahmen wanna demolish it?

next hc on my favorite list once was ELLENBOROUGH hc which is now the MARKET STREET HOTEL. i had my vest turtle soup and ter kar tan there. they also had the best curry chicken noodle among other traditional and rare hawker food which very seldom any present ones can compare.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
img0057.jpg

img0058.jpg

img0059.jpg

img0060.jpg

img0061.jpg

img0062.jpg

I was too young back then.

I think this was the time before Funan Centre got revamped into the 'Digitalife Mall' or been infested with Ah Nehs.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes I remember the kway teow which shifted to near Temasek college.

Anyone know where the wanton mee stall moved to:confused: At Hill Street they were located almost next to the kway teow stall. The lady boss had a burn scar on her face.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes I remember the kway teow which shifted to near Temasek college.

Anyone know where the wanton mee stall moved to:confused: At Hill Street they were located almost next to the kway teow stall. The lady boss had a burn scar on her face.

Yes. Her scar was caused by the drinks stall seller.:o

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When was the Hill Street Hawker Centre demolished?

Not long after Funan center was renovated and had a food court.
Conspiracy theory has it that food court was not doing well thus pappy stepped in to help their GLC mall.

Ah Hwa ba chor mee no one mention?

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not long after Funan center was renovated and had a food court.
Conspiracy theory has it that food court was not doing well thus pappy stepped in to help their GLC mall.

Ah Hwa ba chor mee no one mention?

that one now shifted to honglim hc. new generation young punk doing the cooking. quite expensive! $4 very stingy serving :(

if u like bah cho mee, go to chinatown hc $3. there's always a long queue. u can't miss it. the grumpy uncle really cooks!! he tests the noodle for "al dente" before serving u :smile:

the soup is very very solid! honest to goodness. think there's no msg. very shiok!!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if u like bah cho mee, go to chinatown hc $3. there's always a long queue. u can't miss it. the grumpy uncle really cooks!! he tests the noodle for "al dente" before serving u :smile:

Is it the 'TeoChew Street' stall? Sometimes it's closed on weekends, makes me wonder if he's ill or dead.

IMG_7599.JPG

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that one now shifted to honglim hc. new generation young punk doing the cooking. quite expensive! $4 very stingy serving :(

the soup is very very solid! honest to goodness. think there's no msg. very shiok!!

I thot Tai Hwa moved to Crawford street?

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
they ve a number of scions maybe? i ve tried their noodle. so so only and really don't worth the money.

the chinatown one which laksaboy posted is better. anytime.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wow! got drama behind the "scar"? a combat of the hearts?

pls tell more :smile:

What happened was that the scar woman had a crush on the stout drink stall seller and their illicit affair was discovered by his wife. The two women fought one night and beer bottle was broken. The drink stall owner intervened but accidentally scarred the wanton mee seller. After that don't know how they settled already.:o

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
the common folks make the most sexciting drama. dunno why mediacorpse can't just derive all their creativity from there.