• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Apple unveils larger iPhones and smartwatch

Revenge

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apple unveils larger iPhones and smartwatch

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 10 September, 2014, 1:35am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 10 September, 2014, 5:17am

Associated Press

apple_event_fx107_45424275.jpg

Apple CEO Tim Cook introduces the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. Photo: AP

For the first time in years, Apple’s iPhones weren’t the star of the show. Apple unveils a smartwatch today, a wearable device that marks the company’s first major entry in a new product category since the iPad’s debut in 2010.

The move is significant because of recent questions about whether Apple still has a knack for innovating following the 2011 death of co-founder Steve Jobs.

The device’s introduction upstaged the company’s two new, larger iPhones, which won’t just have bigger screens; they’ll have a new, horizontal viewing mode to take advantage of the larger display.

The iPhone 6 will have a screen measuring 4.7 inches, while the iPhone 6 Plus will be 5.5 inches. In both cases, app developers will be able to design apps that can be viewed differently when the phone is held horizontally.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FglqN1jd1tM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Apple also introduced a system for using the phone to make credit card payments at retail stores.

Apple is turning to the past as it lays out its future. The company is holding the event at the Flint Center for the Performing Arts, the same venue where Jobs unveiled the industry-shifting Mac computer 25 years ago. The Cupertino, California, venue is near Apple’s headquarters.

As for the iPhones, which still represent the main source of Apple’s profits, larger models should help the company compete with Android devices.

Here’s what unfolded at the event:

iphone-6_45424489.jpg

iPhone 6 (centre) has a 4.7-inch display. iPhone 6 Plus (right) has a 5.5-inch display. Photo: AFP

LARGER iPHONES

The iPhone 6 will have a 4.7-inch screen, while the iPhone 6 Plus will be 5.5 inches. The screen resolution on the Plus version will be sharper than previous iPhones, at 401 pixels per inch rather than 326.

With the larger screen comes a new horizontal view of the home screen. Usually, icons are stacked vertically, even when the phone is turned horizontally. App developers will also have new tools to rearrange their content to take advantage of that larger screen.

The new phones aren’t as big as Samsung’s latest flagship phones — 5.1 inches for the Galaxy S5 and 5.7 inches for the Note 4 — but they will be large enough to neutralize a key advantage Samsung and other Android manufacturers have had.

Notably, Samsung’s Note phone isn’t getting bigger this year. Last year’s Note 3 was 5.7 inches. Instead, Samsung is emphasizing other hardware features, such as a sharper screen. It’s also releasing a model with a curved edge to display weather, time and other information on the side of the phone.

Apple says the new phones will be faster and have better battery life than previous versions. The phones will also have a new sensor, the barometer, to estimate how much you’ve climbed stairs, not just how far you’ve walked or run.

Of course, some people still use their phones to actually make calls. When there’s poor cellular reception, people will be able to make regular calls over Wi-Fi. The handoff between the two networks will be seamless. In the U.S., this feature will initially be available through T-Mobile.

The resolution on the camera is staying at 8 megapixels, while rival Android and Windows phones have been boosting that. The S5, for instance, is at 16 megapixels. However, the megapixel count is only one factor in what makes a good photo. Apple says it is putting in new sensors for better shots.

Apple is also improving a slow-motion video feature by allowing even slower shots. The camera will be able to take 240 frames per second, double what’s in last year’s iPhone 5s. Normally, video is at 60 frames per second.

The new phones will start shipping in the U.S. on Sept. 19, with advance orders to begin this Friday. Starting prices will be comparable to those in the past — $199 with a two-year contract for the iPhone 6 with 16 gigabytes of storage.

However, the step-up models will have double the memory than before — $299 for 64 gigabytes and $399 for 128 gigabytes. The iPhone 6 Plus phones will cost $100 more at each configuration.

fx132_45425439.jpg

The new Apple Pay. Photo: AP

MOBILE PAYMENTS

Apple is calling its new payment system Apple Pay.

You’ll be able to use your phone’s camera to capture a photo of your card. Apple will verify it behind the scenes and add it to your phone’s Passbook account so you can make payments at a retailer. Apple announced several merchants that will accept this system, including Macy’s, Whole Foods, Walgreens and Disney stores — and of course, Apple stores.

Many companies have tried to push mobile payment services, but none has caught on widely. Cook says that’s because the business models have been centered around companies’ self-interest instead of the user experience. The latter, Cook says, is “exactly what Apple does best.”

For security, the card number is stored only on the device. Each time you pay, a one-time card number is created to make the transaction.

fx140_45426183.jpg

Tim Cook discusses the new Apple Watch. Photo: AP

A SMARTWATCH

The audience erupted with cheers as Cook proclaimed that he had, “one more thing.” It was how Jobs used to close his keynote addresses.

That one more thing was Apple’s upcoming smartwatch. It’s called the Apple Watch, rather than the iWatch that many people had been speculating.

Consumer electronics companies have yet to demonstrate a compelling need for smartwatches, while bracelets have largely been niche products aimed at tracking fitness activities. Apple’s device looks to change that.

Consider the company’s track record: Music players, smartphones and tablet computers existed long before Apple made its own versions. But they weren’t mainstream or popular until the iPod, iPhone and iPad came along. Under Jobs, Apple made those products easy and fun to use.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ktujsc4ZUTo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cook says Apple had to invent a new interface for the watch because simply shrinking a phone wouldn’t work.

Much of the interaction would be through the dial on the watch, which Apple calls the digital crown. You use that to zoom in and out of a map, for instance, so you’re not blocking the screen, which would have occurred if you were pinching in and out to zoom.

Apple also worked with app developers to create new functionality. You’ll be able to unlock room doors at Starwood hotels or remind yourself where you parked your car with a BMW app.

The new watch will come in a variety of styles and straps, with a choice of two sizes. Watches from competing vendors have been criticized for being too big for smaller arms.

The watch will require one of the new iPhones or an iPhone 5, 5s or 5c. It will be available early next year at a starting price of $349.

fx111_45424471.jpg

Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, discusses messaging on the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. Photo: AP

NEW SOFTWARE

Though much of the attention has been on new gadgets, the software powering those gadgets is getting its annual refresh. Apple considers iOS 8 to be its biggest update since the introduction of the app store in 2008.

Existing iPhone and iPad users will be eligible for the free upgrade, too. Apple takes pride in pushing existing customers to the latest software, allowing app developers to incorporate new features without worrying about abandoning existing users. With Android, many recent phones can’t be upgraded right away because of restrictions placed by manufacturers and wireless carriers.

Among other things, iOS 8 will let devices work better in sync. For instance, it’ll be possible to start a message on an iPhone and finish it on an iPad. With an upcoming Mac upgrade called Yosemite, it’ll be possible to continue working on that same message on a Mac computer as well.

These handoff features will extend to the new Apple Watch, too.

The new software will be available to existing users on Sept. 17.

Closing out the event, U2 performed on stage before Cook made its new album, “Songs of Innocence” available for free to all customers of Apple’s iTunes.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
big screen phones is so no more mainstream...

[video=youtube;QSDAjwKI8Wo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSDAjwKI8Wo[/video]

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The only thing i like about iphone 6 is the 64 bit chip..when will samsung getting a 64 bit chip in. 32 bit chip is so outdated.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
[video=youtube;-1QmOhDXwE8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1QmOhDXwE8[/video]

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
[video=youtube;0N22cMGKJBA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N22cMGKJBA[/video]

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
looks good...i will go for the iphone 6.

I was asking myself , why would I want a smart watch for?....after seeing the Apple watch...it is rather seductive isn't? The iPhone 6, other than technological advancement, offers no compelling reason, why people will go for it, other than upgrade. I would want one to replace , the ones I have....4s & 5..5 is now the main phone, the 4s the back up & I have another Samsung S3, for contacts, not to be shared among my Apple devices....to make calls & text only.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the thing with gadget, it depreciates with value over time. i still can trade in high value with my iphone 5s for the latest iphone 6.

I was asking myself , why would I want a smart watch for?....after seeing the Apple watch...it is rather seductive isn't? The iPhone 6, other than technological advancement, offers no compelling reason, why people will go for it, other than upgrade. I would want one to replace , the ones I have....4s & 5..5 is now the main phone, the 4s the back up & I have another Samsung S3, for contacts, not to be shared among my Apple devices....to make calls & text only.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the thing with gadget, it depreciates with value over time. i still can trade in high value with my iphone 5s for the latest iphone 6.

Most likely I will upgrade my iPhone 4s to the 6 & keep the iPhone 5, as spare & the samsung S3 for , like I had mentioned for unimportant calls & text.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
applei is also launching the iscratch to go along with those who need help to relieve the itch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 202

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
the resolution of 6-plus is very much better than 6

in the last launch we had 5S and 5C
5C became a huge failure due to it's terminology, less luxurious casings and weaker specifications.

So effectively, 6 is like 5C now with nice casing
6 Plus is like 5S

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
After using my Xiaomi's Redmi Note for 3 full days, I'm beginning to like my new toy. Had dumped my two iPhone 5 carrying Indon and Sing SIM cards for this Redmi Note.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the resolution of 6-plus is very much better than 6

in the last launch we had 5S and 5C
5C became a huge failure due to it's terminology, less luxurious casings and weaker specifications.

So effectively, 6 is like 5C now with nice casing
6 Plus is like 5S

Actually the 5C wasn't a failure it sold very well & expanded Apple's market share. From what I've read parents would buy the cheaper 5C for their kids, newbies to the Apple eco system also preferred the cheaper 5C

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...ple-highest-growth-in-mid-range-iphone-market

Strong iPhone 5c sales gave Apple highest growth in mid-range iPhone market

With record iPhone sales in Apple's June quarter, the largest growth actually came from the company's mid-range handset lineup, which is represented this year by the colorful iPhone 5c.

iPhone 5c

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook revealed on Tuesday that year-over-year growth rates comparing the iPhone 5c to last year's performance of the iPhone 4S show the greatest growth. That means that the share gains seen by the iPhone 5c outpaced those of the 2014 iPhone 5s vs. 2013 iPhone 5, and also bested the 2014 low-end iPhone 4s vs. 2013 iPhone 4.

Cook characterized himself as extremely happy with the performance of the iPhone 5c, which starts at $99 with a new two-year service contract. It comes in a plastic back available in a range of colors, but lacks the A7 processor and Touch ID fingerprint sensor found on the flagship iPhone 5s.

Though Cook didn't offer specifics as to how sales of each available iPhone model broke down over the June quarter, the comments seem to suggest that the iPhone 5c's share of total handset sales for Apple have been improving since the mid-range smartphone launched last year. For example, early this year Cook said that iPhone 5c sales up to that point represented a lower share of overall sales than the company had expected.

There's also evidence that the iPhone 5c may be playing an important role in attracting Android users to switch platforms. And while critics have been quick to attempt to position the iPhone 5c as a "failure," data suggests that the device has been outselling flagship Android devices, as well as every BlackBerry and Windows Phone device.

Apple on Tuesday reported total iPhone shipments of 35.2 million in the just-concluded June quarter, representing 12.7 percent year over year growth and setting a new quarterly record, but still coming in on the low end of Wall Street expectations. Exact sales of the iPhone 5c are unknown, as Apple declines to break down statistics on individual models for competitive reasons.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
iPhones do not depreciate as fast as Samsung/Android phones.

Interestingly, Xiaomi doesn't depreciate much, and sometimes even appreciate, owing to their strategy of only selling new models online once every few months for a limited number of hours.

A Redmi Note goes for $199 from the website but can be sold back to Far East Plaza shops for $235 after launch sale in August. Even now shops are taking in new Redmi Note for $190.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apart from the price, the only bad things about Apple iPhones are:

1) Everything has to go through iTunes.
2) Proprietary power connection.
3) A lack of the more 'legally dubious' apps e.g. emulators.

For everything else, Apple iPhone is a far better experience. Some apps don't ever get ported to Android, or you have to wait a long time.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Interestingly, Xiaomi doesn't depreciate much, and sometimes even appreciate, owing to their strategy of only selling new models online once every few months for a limited number of hours.

A Redmi Note goes for $199 from the website but can be sold back to Far East Plaza shops for $235 after launch sale in August. Even now shops are taking in new Redmi Note for $190.

May I add, the 10,400 mAh power bank in Singapore costs $13.99 in Indonesia open market is 399,000 IDR, or $43.

Indonesia has only one Xiaomi product the Redmi S1 selling at 1,499,000 IDR ($160) but in the open market its like 2,500,000 IDR ($267).

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
May I add, the 10,400 mAh power bank in Singapore costs $13.99 in Indonesia open market is 399,000 IDR, or $43.

Indonesia has only one Xiaomi product the Redmi S1 selling at 1,499,000 IDR ($160) but in the open market its like 2,500,000 IDR ($267).

In Indonesia the Blackberry is still popular. With it's poor infrastrucure it will take time before you can use all the smart capabilities.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Qoo10 S'pore vendors are selling the 10,400 mAh power bank for $19.90, excluding shipping. They probably bought direct from the Xiaomi website and make a $6 profit reselling it.