• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Food Safety Alert: 78% of Thai rice is of inferior quality

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Panadda says 78% of rice inspected are inferior quality

September 3, 2014

Permanent secretary to Prime Minister's Office M.L.Panadda Diskul says 78% of rice which were inspected by more than 2,000 inspection groups across the country did not meet specified quality.

He revealed the shocking finding of inferior quality rice during an address to officials and employees of the Department of Rice at TK Palace Hotel on Wednesday.

Speaking to rice officials on a topics “Instilling Merits, Ethics, Unity and Conciliation,” M.L. Panadda said throughout the past decade, politics had bitterly divided the country into groups and created rifts.

He then asked them to be restrain from rushing into doing anything that could become a mistake and guilt, citing example of the controversial rice-pledging scheme.

As the chairman of the subcommittee on rice quantity and quality check, he said rice samples examined by over 2,000 groups showed 78% of rice examined did not meet quality standard.

This was a shocking find as Thai rice was accepted worldwide of its good quality with no competitors, he said.

But it was sad that they had destroyed the name by themselves.

He then urged all rice officials to restore confidence of Thai rice and bring back the reputation.

He also encouraged government officials not to allow politicians to instigate rift and divide the people and turn the 77 provinces into different colours.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/panadda-says-78-rice-inspected-inferior-quality/

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is that why my mum's rice not as tasty as before?
At first I thought it's because she doesn't cook as well as before or maybe used cheap rice.

Also, does anyone know if Japan exports brown rice?

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes.. brown rice that will make you glow in the dark.

I eat brown rice weekly at my favourite stall. The grain is short and abit round. Not sure if jap rice. I didn't ask the stall as I'm not sure if they will be truthful about it too. Are brown rice generally short and round?

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
I eat brown rice weekly at my favourite stall. The grain is short and abit round. Not sure if jap rice. I didn't ask the stall as I'm not sure if they will be truthful about it too. Are brown rice generally short and round?
Where's the location of your favorite stall? What does it sell other than brown rice?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's all Yingluck's fault. Hakka Chinese are always cheapskate and would squeeze blood from a stone to enrich themselves.

Sounds familiar? :wink:

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's in Australia.

Australia is also a rice producer and exporter.

The stall sells Malaysian/Singapore dishes and curry.

As you're already an Aussie citizen or PR, why still miss M'sian/Sinkie food?

Once upon a time when I was living in the US, I didn't even miss Sinkie food.

And a long, long time ago when you were still in your swaddling cloths and I was living in Europe at that time, when there was East Germany and West Germany, I never for once longed for Sinkie food.

An analogy: I just don't understand people who bought the retail version of Microsoft Windows 8.1 and then complained that it should have the Aero transparent theme and the "Start" button. If they wanted the latter they should have bought Windows 7.

Have option of white rice or brown rice, haven't take the white rice before.

"Brown rice" is not another rice species. Any species of rice can be brown or white, depending on the amount of work done on removing the husks, etc...Examples are bhasmati rice, hom mali/jasmine rice, aussie rice, vietnamese rice, african rice, U.S. rice, arborio rice, gaba rice, etc... are available in both "white" and "brown" varieties.

You DO know the health hazards associated with eating brown rice, don't you?

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it is japanese rice that have good quality with no competitors, not thai rice.
Silly reporter.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
.....No, what is the health hazards associated with eating brown rice? Unless they are radiated ones.

The rice plant has the unique ability to absorb and store large amounts of arsenic in the rice grain.

Brown rice is rice with the hull removed with the bran still intact. The latter is where arsenic and small amounts of heavy metals are stored.

In other word white rice contains far less arsenic and heavy metals compared to brown rice.

There's an interesting study undertaken by Chinese researchers a few years ago. The paper is titled "Genotypic and environmental variation in cadmium, chromium, arsenic, nickel, and lead concentrations in rice grains" (link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1500887/)

If you have 21 meals a week (3 meals x 7), you should not have more than 2 meals that have rice as your staple.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The rice plant has the unique ability to absorb and store large amounts of arsenic in the rice grain.

Brown rice is rice with the hull removed with the bran still intact. The latter is where arsenic and small amounts of heavy metals are stored.

In other word white rice contains far less arsenic and heavy metals compared to brown rice.

There's an interesting study undertaken by Chinese researchers a few years ago. The paper is titled "Genotypic and environmental variation in cadmium, chromium, arsenic, nickel, and lead concentrations in rice grains" (link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1500887/)

If you have 21 meals a week (3 meals x 7), you should not have more than 2 meals that have rice as your staple.

Thanks, but don't eat rice eat what?
I don't like noodles or pasta and bread has quite some preservatives too.
I grow up on rice, I can't kick the habit.

Brown rice is known to be a healthier option compared to white rice as there's less sugar in it.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks, but don't eat rice eat what?

Lemme see...

Rice is a staple in these countries and regions of the world: East Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia. But what about the rest of the world? Have you ever wondered how people survive without having rice as their staple in the Americas, Europe, Austrialasa and Africa?

I grow up on rice, I can't kick the habit.

Eating rice is more important to you than having a healthy body?

Brown rice is known to be a healthier option compared to white rice as there's less sugar in it.

I see.....your definition of "healthier" does not include food safey issues such as brown rice contains more arsenic and heavy metals than white rice.