• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GMS: My backside itchy again telling me to whack WP again

GoMadSeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Goh Meng Seng SatuSingapura
September 1 · Edited
If you have a party which keeps saying it is not going to replace PAP as ruling party but at the same time, openly declare that it is not going to negotiate nor cooperate with other parties because it "chooses to walk its own path", what do you think it is?

Now worse, its supporters and members are openly saying that they do not wish to see other opposition parties to win any seats? What do you think it is?

September 1 · Edited
Who will believe the Devil to preach the Bible?

Who will believe someone who is talking against unity to preach unity?

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you have a party which keeps saying it is not going to replace PAP as ruling party but at the same time, openly declare that it is not going to negotiate nor cooperate with other parties because it "chooses to walk its own path", what do you think it is?

Arrogance?

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
September 1 · Edited

Goh Meng Seng doesn't appear shy to tell the world that he is but a naive and simple-minded guy who prefers others to say things he is agreeable with to sooth his ears, never mind if they do not mean what they say.

It is alright to say you are for opposition unity and then pull out from an alliance or form your own new small party. It is alright to say you are the best opposition party, the only one doing this and that or having this and that without any of those traits manifested.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are only "arrogance" or "dishonesty" anyway, so take your pick.

Honesty & arrogance. Both not mutually exclusive.

Not going to replace PAP: honesty
Not going to negotiate or co-operate with other parties: arrogance.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal

1. It is just political wayang to say it is not going to replace PAP as ruling party. Wayang kulit, lah.

2. Choosing to walk its own path? It is just a strategy of common sense. Why get entangled with other "political has-beens" who are like headless chicken in the political arena? Chartering its own course is a better option than to get bogged down by other political parties through affiliation.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
if politic is as easy as ABC, there shall be peace in the world.

politic is made up of people and people are naturally for themselves first before for others. they have to satisfy their greed first before there's scraps for others.

if one whol thinks the other way round, they are now mostly in the obituary section :(

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dishonesty not honesty. Read my above response.

Going to replace PAP with just 5 candidates: __________
Say going to negotiate or co-operate with other parties but only under their own terms: __________

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why you guys bother about him, he is not LKY, LHL he is no body low life half full container in Sg. If we don't care about him respond to his drivels he will die of natural death.

September 1 · Edited

Now worse, its supporters and members are openly saying that they do not wish to see other opposition parties to win any seats? What do you think it is?

September 1 · Edited
Who will believe the Devil to preach the Bible?

Who will believe someone who is talking against unity to preach unity?

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dishonesty not honesty. Read my above response.

Going to replace PAP with just 5 candidates: __________
Say going to negotiate or co-operate with other parties but only under their own terms: __________

Let me clarify:

1. WP is being brutally honest when it says it cannot replace the PAP. No opposition party on its own can replace the PAP for the next 2 elections. The only hope of replacing the PAP is with an opposition coalition govt.

2. WP is being arrogant when it says it will not negotiate or co-operate with other parties. It is their right of course to pursue the strategy they deem most appropriate, as bigboss above says, but then they also can't blame the other oppo parties for viewing such a move as arrogance.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let me clarify:

1. WP is being brutally honest when it says it cannot replace the PAP. No opposition party on its own can replace the PAP for the next 2 elections. The only hope of replacing the PAP is with an opposition coalition govt.

2. WP is being arrogant when it says it will not negotiate or co-operate with other parties. It is their right of course to pursue the strategy they deem most appropriate, as bigboss above says, but then they also can't blame the other oppo parties for viewing such a move as arrogance.

I have never disagreed with this line of reasoning. My point is that no other party has lived up with a better alternative than these 2 approaches.

The opposite of "honest" is "dishonest". "Arrogant" is not the opposite of "dishonest", yes, in this case is a better alternative than being "dishonest".

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The opposite of "honest" is "dishonest". "Arrogant" is not the opposite of "dishonest", yes, in this case is a better alternative than being "dishonest".

Among opposition circles, WP's honesty about its intentions has never been in doubt. So 'dishonesty' is not an issue here.

If anything many feel that WP is too conservative and perhaps complacent in not considering a pan-opposition assault. But as I say, it's their prerogative.

Last edited:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If anything many feel that WP is too conservative and perhaps complacent in not considering a pan-opposition assault. But as I say, it's their prerogative.

Which is why I said no other party has led by example to live up with a better alternative, which probably means such a "pan-opposition assault" does not exist in the Singapore context at all.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal

U got to have something to put on the table in a negotiation. Negotiation to non WP oppositions merely means seeking guarantee that WP won't intrude in their 'territory' while they practically offer nothing in return. Even in the real world why should anyone, any business organization not just political party sit down and negotiate with anyone that comes knocking at their door without much to show?

I don't think WP is arrogant but they are just pragmatic.

Last edited:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think WP is arrogant but they are just pragmatic.

To add, if there is no alternative to something, labels like "arrogance" or "complacent" shouldn't even come into the picture. Perhaps "conservative", yes.

It is not even an issue of "prerogative" since there is no better option.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To add, if there is no alternative to something, labels like "arrogance" or "complacent" shouldn't even come into the picture. Perhaps "conservative", yes.

It is not even an issue of "prerogative" since there is no better option.

Labels are inherently subjective. What is 'conservative' to one may be 'liberal' to another. What is 'pragmatic' or 'strategic' for a WP supporter may be construed as 'arrogant' or 'complacent' to a non-WP oppo supporter. What is a 'better' option to you may be a 'worse' option to me.

So be it.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Labels are inherently subjective. What is 'conservative' to one may be 'liberal' to another. What is 'pragmatic' or 'strategic' for a WP supporter may be construed as 'arrogant' or 'complacent' to a non-WP oppo supporter. What is a 'better' option to you may be a 'worse' option to me.

So be it.

It is not always about each entitled to their opinion. Depending on the gravity of the label, you have to back them up. "Arrogance" lies somewhere there.

If I label Chee a pedophile and Vincent Wijeysingha an animal-rapist, I cannot say that is my inherently subjective opinion.

And of course, labelling comes with equal standards applied to all with no selectivity and singling out.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I label Chee a pedophile and Vincent Wijeysingha an animal-rapist, I cannot say that is my inherently subjective opinion.

Fallacious arguments. If you say Chee is a paedophile, you're accusing him of committing an act. It's no longer an opinion. Ditto if you say Vincent is an animal rapist.

If I say that not negotiating with other oppo parties is arrogant, that's an opinion of an act. Likewise if you say that not negotiating with other oppo parties is pragmatic, that's your opinion of the same act. And you're entitled to it. So am I.

And opinions can be very subjective. Get it straight.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And of course, labelling comes with equal standards applied to all with no selectivity and singling out.

Naturally. If Tan Jee Say of Singaporeans First says that he's not interested in negotiating with the other oppo parties and want to go it alone, I'd say that's arrogant too. Otherwise it's a double standard.

--------------------------
Seeking common ground with other opposition parties

September 2, 2014 at 12:17am

On Thursday 28 August 2014, I wrote to the leaders of active opposition parties, requesting a courtesy call on them to introduce ourselves from Singaporeans First and to learn from their experiences (as we are a new party). This letter is appended below.

"Democratic Progressive Party (Attn: Mohamad Hamim and Benjamin Pwee),
Pertubuhan Kebangsaan Melayu Singapura (Attn: Abu Mohamed and Abd Jamal Rashid),
National Solidarity Party (Attn: Sebastian Teo and Jeannette Chong-Aruldoss),
Reform Party (Attn: Andy Zhu and Kenneth Jeyaretnam),
Singapore Democratic Alliance/Singapore Justice Party (Attn: Desmond Lim),
Singapore Democratic Party (Attn: Jeffrey George and Dr Chee Soon Juan),
Singapore People's Party (Attn: Lina Chiam and Chiam See Tong),
Workers' Party (Attn: Sylvia Lim and Low Thia Khiang).

Dear fellow champions of a better Singapore,

I am pleased to inform you that SINGAPOREANS FIRST is now officially registered as a political party. Our Party Manifesto is attached for your information.

We are proud to be able to join you in wanting to build a better Singapore for all Singaporeans. You have all contributed much in this effort. As a new party, we can learn a lot from your experiences. Accordingly, we would like to pay a courtesy call on each of you, to introduce ourselves to you, discuss your experiences and find out how we can complement you and work together with you for the betterment of Singapore.

We would appreciate it if you could let us know a suitable time in the next few weeks for us to make a courtesy call on you.
Yours sincerely,

Tan Jee Say
Secretary-General of the Protem Committee
cc Members of the Protem Committee (details in attachment)"