• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Avoid 707 brand water heater!

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SM_30_08_2014_CJ_4_26025284_26025183_mssum_x6s_jo.jpg

He was taking his usual shower in the evening when, suddenly, he started screaming.

Shocked, the family rushed to the door, only to find it locked.

Beside the door, an electrical socket connected to the water heater was smoking.

When they finally battered the door open, 18-year-old Gregory Ng was on the floor.

"We turned off the electrical switch and went to his side," said his grandfather, Anthony Ng, 62, a taxi driver.

His face was very pale by then, the older man told The New Paper at their Hougang Avenue 3 flat on Saturday.

The incident happened around 10pm on Friday. Mr Ng, a recent graduate of the Institute of Technical Education who was waiting for his national service call-up, was unconscious when the ambulance took him to Changi General Hospital. He died shortly after.

A Singapore Civil Defence Force spokesman said he died of a cardiac arrest.

He was cremated on Saturday afternoon.

During The New Paper's visit, his grandfather explained that the young man had lived with his grandparents, his aunt and his two younger brothers in the three-room flat since he was a boy, after his parents' divorce.

Recalling the tragedy, the 62-year-old said that before the shower, Mr Ng had told his grandmother he'd talk to her after his bath.

His younger brother and aunt tried to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation, with instructions from the rescuer on the phone, but to no avail.

Gesturing to the water heater, which was connected to the socket by a wire, the grandfather said that they had bought it recently to replace the old one, which was not working. He said he had picked a branded heater based on the shop's recommendations.

He was heard saying: "I spent more than $300 on the water heater and it killed my grandson."

Police have classified the case as an unnatural death and are investigating.

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Been using this 707 brand for more than 15 years liao. Replaced an old set with another newer model about 3 years ago. So far still clean and alive....Hope its not "famous last words" :-)

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes. It is not safe.

Many years back, I was using this brand and got electrocuted. Dash out of the toilet and first thing I saw at the mirror was my hair-style like Don King !

It was indeed a frightening experience.:o

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I use a Rheem water heater. However it is a storage tank type of heater Nice thing about those with a tank is that once heated you can turn off the power & you can have several showers.

You can also hook up the aircon system to heat up your water. In private homes it is common to see solar panels used for heating heat water. The downside is that they can leak after a few years.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Elemento-Debanio_8258_image.jpg

Anytime you see 'Singapore No. 1' in the marketing or a product which has been awarded the Singapore Prestige Brand Award... that's a pretty good indicator to stay the fuck away from it. :wink:

I use a Redring water heater. Made in the UK. R&D also done in the UK.

German water heaters are also good quality.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
It should not have happened if they had a circuit breaker to prevent electrocution when the system malfunctioned.

Whether it is 707 or other brands, an electrical appliance can still malfunction but a circuit breaker will "cut" the electricity to prevent electrocution.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's always depressing to have the youngsters die before the elderly, nevertheless I shall attempt to cheer everyone up with a special song dedicated to this unfortunate incident.

Right In The Socket - Shalamar.

[video=youtube;TJe2vlybbYg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJe2vlybbYg[/video]

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As suspected, from the picture, we can see that the shower head is connected to a flexible hose with spiral metal outer covering. I always felt it is safer to use hose with rubber / plastic outer covering.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As suspected, from the picture, we can see that the shower head is connected to a flexible hose with spiral metal outer covering. I always felt it is safer to use hose with rubber / plastic outer covering.

The material used for the hose insulation is not an issue. It's just that the product was poorly designed. But of course, it's a Sinkieland product.

god_zeus

Alfrescian
Loyal
707 water heater bos is a PAP grassloot leader?

anything bad happened must check if the situation is connected to a PAP grass loot leader

there is always a PAP glass loot leader hiding somewhere that will kill you

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
707 water heater bos is a PAP grassloot leader?

anything bad happened must check if the situation is connected to a PAP grass loot leader

there is always a PAP glass loot leader hiding somewhere that will kill you

707 heaters are from Cheong Hock Guan, they had been around for a very long time...

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the boy who died looks like from China leh..........

aiyah...............me been using 707 brand for over 30 years liao lor..............not like every year got people die using this brand.............

handphones have killed more people lah...............

Jlo18

omg yes man i m looking for water heaters and came across this thread

i only stick to Ariston man - Italian brand and reliable, nv had a prob with it at all…
HENG AH HENG HENG!:biggrin: