• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese privilege in Singapore

Gotze

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Adeline Koh

To My Dear Fellow Singapore Chinese

People of Chinese descent make up 70% of the population of Singapore. Singapore Chinese, as they are termed, enjoy systemic, racialized and institutional privilege in the country as opposed to the countries' minorities (primarily racialized as Indian and Malay).

"Chinese privilege", as Sangeetha Thanapal has named it, functions very similarly to white privilege in the United States and Europe. To use Peggy McClintock's notion of white privilege and the invisible knapsack, Chinese privilege functions like an "invisible package of an invisible package of unearned assets which I can count on cashing in each day, but about which I was ‘meant’ to remain oblivious.

[Chinese] privilege is like an invisible weightless backpack of special provisions, maps, passports, codebooks, visas, clothes, tools and blank checks." As a Singapore Chinese person, when I am in Singapore, I never need to think twice about whether my race/ethnicity is represented on mainstream media, whether my languages are spoken, whether my religions are allowed to exist, whether I can catch a taxi. All these things are little aspects of Chinese privilege which is very similar to how white privilege functions. You can find out more about the concept of white privilege here: https://www.isr.umich.edu/<wbr>home/diversity/resources/<wbr>white-privilege.pdf

Despite Chinese privilege in Singapore being very real, there is little or no recognition of this concept within the national public sphere and discussions of race. Attempts by minorities such as Thanapal to name this privilege often receive hostile attack from Singapore Chinese, who employ defensive mechanisms similar to deniers of white privilege--to name privilege is divisive, to name privilege is not a solution, to name privilege is rude, to name privilege is racist. In a stroke of unfunny irony, what happens then is that minorities who call out Chinese racism are then termed racist by their aggressors.

This is very sad because Singapore Chinese themselves often complain how they are victims of racism themselves, particularly when they visit Western countries. They complain about being complimented on their command of English (don't these people know we were colonized by the English?!), complain about being treated as second-class citizens while abroad. However, they are in complete denial of how they take on the very role of what they claim to be victim of at home. In other words, they complain about racist treatment while overseas while being racist towards minorities in Singapore.

So if you are a Singapore Chinese person--and I am a Singapore Chinese person myself--if someone who is not white or not Chinese starts talking about race, you should really think about doing the following things.

1. Shut up and listen. Because of your privilege, the speaker will be saying a lot of things that are foreign to your experience. But that you don't think they are "true" doesn't mean that they are untrue, it's rather than your privilege shields you from seeing these things.

2. Stop asking them to justify their thoughts and for facts, statistics, data, argument. It's not the job of marginalized people to educate you. Undertake your own education.

3. Your point of view is not important. If someone is speaking about race in Singapore who is neither white nor Chinese, their stories are not told as frequently as yours. So stop making their narratives about you and what you think. This is not your party.

4. It's also not up for you to decide whether the person speaking is "right" or "wrong." That you think your opinion is important is already indicative of how much privilege you have, and how ignorant you are of it.

5. Because you experience racism yourself in other locations, this should not inure you to your own racism at home, but rather, encourage you to have more *empathy* for those who are more marginalized than you are.

6. EDITED TO ADD. If you want to help, next time someone asks you for a perspective on race, ask a minority who studies racial dynamics. That means asking people like Thanapal to speak rather than a Singapore Chinese like me.

Please read more and submit to Sangeetha Thanapal's Medium collection on Chinese privilege in Singapore here: https://medium.com/<wbr>chinese-privilege

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wait a minute. An Indian suggesting SG Chinese are raciat while they hire their own buddies from India over qualified local candidates? I am not sure people are prepared to listen, nigger.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
See what did I tell you and mind you shit skins make up a big percentage of Sg population now they are everywhere but somehow only chibese can be blamed for racism. What is disgusting is that there are many chibese dogs or fence sitters that don't care or even agree with this shit skin.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You cannot respond to her posting since you need to befriend her.

i wanted to refute all her points but there's no way.

It's entirely ridiculously that even in this day and age articles like this still show up.

You really need to be racially aware and know that other races always seek to put down chinese people.

Might i ask in which country where chinese people are a minority are they allowed to be treated like black people in the US where they have minority privileges and the majority race has to be careful and sidestep around race issues in case they end up being called racist. Please enlighten me if you can find such a country whereby chinese people are a minority and have as many privilges as non chinese in singapore or say blacks in the US. Please tell me.

When you are racially aware you start to notice shit like this. You'll begin to realize somehow chinese people are always victims of injustice with no recourse and when they play fair and get to the top they also become accused of being racist. Take the chinese dominating south east asian countries economies. Did they arrive in these countries and the natives just handed their wealth over to them? Honestly speaking did they? Next ask yourself so how did chinese people end up becoming so rich and running those countries economies? What else hard work, high intelligence, good business acumen. They definitely deserve it. Then when that happens they get accused of being racist to the natives or exploiting them. You see no matter what chinese people are never looked on in a good light. You need to fight this instead of grovelling to their BS aka becoming an uncle tom or a chinese dog.

If you ever notice articles like this they somehow try to force all chinese people to just feel guilty of being chinese. Like somehow being born chinese you owe all non chinese something. It doesn't occur anywhere else mind you. Do malaysian malays owe non malay malaysians a living? WTF they get privileges instead. There are many countries with majority and minority ethnic groups. Let's take an example. Say iraq. I don't really know the entire demographics of iraq but i know the kurds are a minority there and there's no such BS like what blacks get in the US or what non chinese have in singapore the funny thing is you won't ever read a BS article written chastizing and cursing the majority race in iraq for literalling mistreating the minorities like killing them and all that.

It's disgusting that these chinese dogs are trying to convert chinese fence sitters to become chinese dogs like them grovelling at the feet of non chinese especially shit skins. The ones that are really at risk are youngsters during pre teens, early teens and even young adults. You need to teach your kids, nephews any youngster you know not to become a chinese dog. If they are able to rationalize explain to them how different it is in the west compared to singapore. How racism over there means enslaving an entire race and blacks in the US still suffer real discrimination today. Explain how that other than blacks no other non white the majority race has such privilege. This is because of white guilt that's why they only allow blacks the only minority race to have so much leeway. Explain that this never occured in singapore and chinese people have never ever committed such deeds and therefore don't need to feel guilty towards any other race and it doesn't matter if they are the majority. Being the majority doesn't mean one automatically has to feel guilty like he owes the minorities something. Showcase to them how in other countries majority races don't feel guilty and they should be proud of their race and culture.

Explain to these youngsters about how chinese are always achieving so much how countries with a chinese majority work and run efficiently and are safe. Some things like how indians are snakes are hard to teach to them but once you make them racially aware and tell them to observe it for themselves they will eventually learn. Like how it's always one sided like they will notice say for example malays always cry racism but act racist themselves. How indians always brag and try to lie and cheat but never actually accomplish anything. Teach them to observe things like this then they will realize how unreasonable this entire racism shtick is in singapore's context. Where chinese are always blamed for fake racism and how others always try to blame chinese for everything for all their failures.

Oh yes also need to teach them about chinese dogs. It's the sad truth but chinese race has the most dogs. Show them how malays or indians for example somehow always seem to stick up for their race especially malays but chinese people don't. Tell them that not all chinese are like that but they will meet chinese like that.

This will ensure your offspring or other young impressionable children you know won't end up becoming chinese dogs.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very privileged indeed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 1,287

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the so called "more privileged" giving the so called "less privileged" a ride in a luxury sedan....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 718

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
the writwr is trulee a farktard. its not about privileges but glass ceiling that restrict your inspiration n hope for promotion wealth n all things material. glass ceiling exist in all society race religion n any damned thing ever invented. in india they called it a caste system n they farking cunt solve it let alone for others to make way for them as a reprieve. go back india n solve your base problem first before complaining why ypu r not given the break through the ceiling.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the writwr is trulee a farktard. its not about privileges but glass ceiling that restrict your inspiration n hope for promotion wealth n all things material. glass ceiling exist in all society race religion n any damned thing ever invented. in india they called it a caste system n they farking cunt solve it let alone for others to make way for them as a reprieve. go back india n solve your base problem first before complaining why ypu r not given the break through the ceiling.

The only difference is that this glass ceiling in singapore isn't based on race. To actually blame a certain segment of singapore in this case based on their racial background and to make someone feel guilty all because of his race is the most fucking stupid ridiculous thing of all.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i like her form of educating the audience,basically shes treating us like children who know nothing,is completely stupid,cannot reason or think and we need to shut up and listen to authority because whatever is being presented to you is the truth.......do not ask for evidence or facts or reasoning or arguments,because its not the speaker's duty or responsibility to provide the details....u have to go "educate" urself.

ur opinion is worthless,what u think is irrelevant,ur "blinded" to the truth by ur own rose tinted glasses,and the only way to "fix" all these is to accept that u are horribly sick,prejudiced,twisted and biased human being and unable to cure urself and submit and prostrate urself before the "victims" of ur "abuse"!!!!!!!!

by the way guys,i cannot explain to u the facts,details,evidence circumstantial or hard evidence or statistics because i dont have any but everything i said is true and totally valid because i am a singaporean chinese!!!!

amazing logic!!!!!!no wonder she is related to one of those aware feminism bitches!!!!brilliant mindgames and brainwash and reverse psychology!!!

Last edited:

extramarital

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Oh yes also need to teach them about chinese dogs. It's the sad truth but chinese race has the most dogs.

Now I can understand why there was a sign in Shanghai which said: No Chinese and Dogs Allowed

Or, should Chinese be called 'Locust' instead of 'Dogs' as shown in this video.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ueNr7mfFZu8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now I can understand why there was a sign in Shanghai which said: No Chinese and Dogs Allowed

Or, should Chinese be called 'Locust' instead of 'Dogs' as shown in this video.

Chinese dogs are worse than actual dogs. These fuckers will be sucking up to non chinese and rather chinese race become a minority or become extinct.

Gotze

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]White in One Space, Yellow in Another: Being Singaporean Chinese[/h]by Adeline Koh: https://www.facebook.com/notes/adel...r-being-singaporean-chinese/10152465531463751

I always say that I never knew I was a person of color until I started living in the United States. It’s hard to believe because I have always known that I’m Asian, that I’m ethnically of Chinese descent (my great-grandparents emigrated from Southern China to Singapore), but I never knew what it was to be a person of color until I arrived in the United States.

Why is that? This is because I am Singaporean Chinese. As I explained in my post on Chinese Privilege in Singapore a few days ago, Singaporean Chinese enjoy economic, systemic and institutional privilege in Singapore in ways that function very similarly to white privilege in the United States, Europe and Australia. Being a recipient of Chinese Privilege basically meant that I never needed to worry about being judged on the basis of stereotypes, never assumed to be this or that, never having to worry about whether available food would cater to my religious food restrictions. Chinese Privilege is basically the privilege of living unconsciously, thinking that race and other marked categories does not matter, does not apply to me, that I’m simply part of the “human race” rather than being boxed into a category out of my own volition. Well, living in the United States and working with my outstanding graduate advisor Frieda Ekotto cured me of this delusion. (Frieda changed my life by giving me Frantz Fanon’s Black Skin, White Masks to read. If you a Singapore Chinese and wonder why we give so much weight to being able to “speak good English” in Singapore read this book. I’ll even be happy to send you a chapter from the book if you get in touch with me.)

Being Singapore Chinese really allows me the vantage point of two subject positions in terms of race and racism. When I am in Singapore and with Singaporeans, I’m racially privileged—I don’t need to think about race, I can go about my life thinking that it does not matter in the least. When I’m in the United States, however, this is a very different story.

Nothing shows this contrast better, I believe, than how my Chinese Privilege story on Sangeetha Thanapal’s Medium collection has been received by people who live in or are familiar with Singapore, in contrast to my work on race and ethnicity in the digital humanities in the United States. When my work is read by scholars in the United States, I receive veiled ad hominem criticisms such as 1. I am not productively contributing to discussion because of my “tone,” 2. I fail to take into account the “good” white people who are different from all the “bad” white people who perpetuate inequality (#notallwhitepeople), 3. I am racist myself for bringing up race, 4. I am simply being self-promotional.

I received little of these ad hominem attacks in the reception of my piece on Chinese Privilege in Singapore by Singaporean Chinese. In contrast, for pointing out and articulating the fact of Chinese Privilege on social media (she has been doing this for a few years now), Sangeetha Thanapal receives criticisms from Singapore Chinese which sound exactly like the attacks which I receive by white people in the United States for making racial diversity an issue. Thanapal is systematically chastised for her tone when she points out exactly the same things that I do. She is attacked as a person, people threaten to report her to the authorities for being divisive, other minorities are cowed by her treatment and are afraid of stepping in to defend her. In stark contrast, I experienced what it must be like to be a white person saying sensible things about race in the United States, because I basically received a ton of kudos for writing this piece, from both minorities and Singapore Chinese. (At the time of my publishing this article the original Chinese Privilege piece has reached 61.2k views, 33.9k reads and 35 recommends in three days—numbers that are astronomical in terms of anything I have ever written.)

All of this—my treatment versus how Thanapal has been treated, the massive sharing and pats on the back about my speaking out—again shows to me how massively privileged I am in the Singapore context, how invisible and pernicious my privilege is, and that no wonder white people defend their privilege so much—it feels so good to not have to deal with the mechanics of macro and microaggressions on a daily basis.

It also, however, leaves me with two choices—I can exert my Chinese Privilege by pretending that it doesn’t exist, and benefit from it all the same—or I can recognize that I am, like other minorities in Singapore, also a person of color, and should be more sensitive to what they are saying, because I go through exactly the same thing when I am not in Singapore that they do at home. Well, I choose to call bullshit on my first choice and to stand instead with my brothers and sisters of color. Solidarity. Let’s call attention to injustice and face up to privilege and inequity together.

This is a post in a collection on Chinese Privilege edited by Sangeetha Thanapal. She is actively looking for submissions, so please think about contributing. Here is a link to the collection: https://medium.com/chinese-privilege

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chinese dogs are worse than actual dogs. These fuckers will be sucking up to non chinese and rather chinese race become a minority or become extinct.

u know ur proof that there is no such thing as the chinese priviledge....because even the chinese hate the chinese themselves.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
even if you are racist scum and even if you believe in yellow monkey coolie opium power, surely no one means the china dogs.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
the idiot is referring to the typical Hakka Chinese kind.

Hokkien Chinese are kind hearted and once ruled China for 400 years Tang Dynasty 唐朝。The Chinese word 唐 is hokkien for teng nan 唐人.

The bloody Hakka old fart Con You locked up many hokkien people under ISA soon after he formed the government.

You cannot respond to her posting since you need to befriend her.

i wanted to refute all her points but there's no way.

It's entirely ridiculously that even in this day and age articles like this still show up.

You really need to be racially aware and know that other races always seek to put down chinese people.

Might i ask in which country where chinese people are a minority are they allowed to be treated like black people in the US where they have minority privileges and the majority race has to be careful and sidestep around race issues in case they end up being called racist. Please enlighten me if you can find such a country whereby chinese people are a minority and have as many privilges as non chinese in singapore or say blacks in the US. Please tell me.

When you are racially aware you start to notice shit like this. You'll begin to realize somehow chinese people are always victims of injustice with no recourse and when they play fair and get to the top they also become accused of being racist. Take the chinese dominating south east asian countries economies. Did they arrive in these countries and the natives just handed their wealth over to them? Honestly speaking did they? Next ask yourself so how did chinese people end up becoming so rich and running those countries economies? What else hard work, high intelligence, good business acumen. They definitely deserve it. Then when that happens they get accused of being racist to the natives or exploiting them. You see no matter what chinese people are never looked on in a good light. You need to fight this instead of grovelling to their BS aka becoming an uncle tom or a chinese dog.

If you ever notice articles like this they somehow try to force all chinese people to just feel guilty of being chinese. Like somehow being born chinese you owe all non chinese something. It doesn't occur anywhere else mind you. Do malaysian malays owe non malay malaysians a living? WTF they get privileges instead. There are many countries with majority and minority ethnic groups. Let's take an example. Say iraq. I don't really know the entire demographics of iraq but i know the kurds are a minority there and there's no such BS like what blacks get in the US or what non chinese have in singapore the funny thing is you won't ever read a BS article written chastizing and cursing the majority race in iraq for literalling mistreating the minorities like killing them and all that.

It's disgusting that these chinese dogs are trying to convert chinese fence sitters to become chinese dogs like them grovelling at the feet of non chinese especially shit skins. The ones that are really at risk are youngsters during pre teens, early teens and even young adults. You need to teach your kids, nephews any youngster you know not to become a chinese dog. If they are able to rationalize explain to them how different it is in the west compared to singapore. How racism over there means enslaving an entire race and blacks in the US still suffer real discrimination today. Explain how that other than blacks no other non white the majority race has such privilege. This is because of white guilt that's why they only allow blacks the only minority race to have so much leeway. Explain that this never occured in singapore and chinese people have never ever committed such deeds and therefore don't need to feel guilty towards any other race and it doesn't matter if they are the majority. Being the majority doesn't mean one automatically has to feel guilty like he owes the minorities something. Showcase to them how in other countries majority races don't feel guilty and they should be proud of their race and culture.

Explain to these youngsters about how chinese are always achieving so much how countries with a chinese majority work and run efficiently and are safe. Some things like how indians are snakes are hard to teach to them but once you make them racially aware and tell them to observe it for themselves they will eventually learn. Like how it's always one sided like they will notice say for example malays always cry racism but act racist themselves. How indians always brag and try to lie and cheat but never actually accomplish anything. Teach them to observe things like this then they will realize how unreasonable this entire racism shtick is in singapore's context. Where chinese are always blamed for fake racism and how others always try to blame chinese for everything for all their failures.

Oh yes also need to teach them about chinese dogs. It's the sad truth but chinese race has the most dogs. Show them how malays or indians for example somehow always seem to stick up for their race especially malays but chinese people don't. Tell them that not all chinese are like that but they will meet chinese like that.

This will ensure your offspring or other young impressionable children you know won't end up becoming chinese dogs.