• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Retrenched and Frustrated

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dont say singkee..mudlanders also like tat. They think come here get deg etc means can get jobs easily like a foreigner in spore. Wat a joke. ...

Mudlanders are more likely to succeed despite having degrees. PappaRich Northbridge is a good example. 2nd outlet in south opening Oct and now sourcing a 3rd 70-seat outlet in the north.

10604728_1464689293802498_7674230780745869990_o.jpg

Last edited:

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
First, reading, he can afford 3 kids & still having tuition, is not in dire straits at all. Why did the couple, commit to 3 children, where they know raising even one in SINgapore is a mind boggling experience, full of stress & costs??. Retrench 4 times...must a damn bloody looser or an idiotic choosy person, when getting work, wants "good pay & work less". After riding the waves of economic upturn & downturn, as a Salary worker, I had enough of the "loss sharing" with the companies i work for, long, long time back, I made a decision one day...to be my own BOSS & manage on my own. I make more I spend a bit more, I make less I cut corners & when I am making good, save for days, like " I have to cut corners". Rather than moan & groan, getting repeatedly retrench....should be much more enterprising & look for a self employed line of work. What is the use of a degree, when that person, doesn't want to take any risks to go ahead & survive.....??

In the past, the older generation will tell you, " du su" "study to lose"...

Don't think the family is dire straits at this point of time, as being retrenched only last month. However, if the unemployment drags on, then it could be a problem, not only on the tuition, but might have to give up the car too.

I did asked him if he ever consider going into setting up his own business, but just got a blank look. Anyway, I believe at this point for him, getting a new job is the most important thing at this point, as there are still bills and mortgage to pay. The last thing is going into business, that will need financial resources. It could be at least 50k to 100k just for a start to go into retail.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
After reading this thread, I think I should be blessed I have a decent job. And should not always complain and angry at my female boss.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't think the family is dire straits at this point of time, as being retrenched only last month. However, if the unemployment drags on, then it could be a problem, not only on the tuition, but might have to give up the car too.

I did asked him if he ever consider going into setting up his own business, but just got a blank look. Anyway, I believe at this point for him, getting a new job is the most important thing at this point, as there are still bills and mortgage to pay. The last thing is going into business, that will need financial resources. It could be at least 50k to 100k just for a start to go into retail.

He has any saving? Can consider drive taxi.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dar, you are correct. there is no issue driving taxi although some snobs here think that it's a degraded job. i used to be one and am going back to drive on weekends for leisure...there are many things one can learn from taxi driving, you will understand how sinkies behave in particular.

there was once i almost got into a fight with another taxi driver, i was queuing at MBS and he chucked infront of me with his smrt space wagon and point his finger, we got down of our taxis and i pushed him. he chickened out and went back to his vehicle. this is just one of my story...:p:o

He has any saving? Can consider drive taxi.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
dar, you are correct. there is no issue driving taxi although some snobs here think that it's a degraded job. i used to be one and am going back to drive on weekends for leisure...there are many things one can learn from taxi driving, you will understand how sinkies behave in particular.

there was once i almost got into a fight with another taxi driver, i was queuing at MBS and he chucked infront of me with his smrt space wagon and point his finger, we got down of our taxis and i pushed him. he chickened out and went back to his vehicle. this is just one of my story...:p:o

next time when i need a taxi then i call u ok? free of charge ya.

GoldenPeriod

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's because he keeps choosing to work for someone else. If he started his own enterprise he'd be the one in the driver's seat and he wouldn't have to worry about retrenchment.

Most people would like to have that freedom and be in control of their own destiny. Barriers to entry are an issue. Networks, client base, knowledge and capital are some of these.

However, mainly the statistics are clear, 80% of start ups in any industry fail within 5 years. For those who survive, their self employed income is little better than an average employee of similar work experience.

There are always exceptions and outliers, but succeeding in self employment is certainly not the norm.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lack of capital can be offset by lots of ingenuity & hard work, the downside of this, the family will have to see less of a father, but for his survival & the family this sacrifice must be made. Since, his wife is working, on the road to recovery or somewhere, she would have to share the burden of the bills & mortgages for the time being, the saying " nothing ventured, nothing gained"....but be ever mindful of another saying, "fools rushes in where Angels fear to tread"....but waiting around for the next big or good thing to happen is not the answer.

Have to start somewhere...not...sinking into debts....start 'biting the bullet', cut expenses, cut costs..'bite the bullet'....start..start...rather than moan groan & complain...

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
He should find out what other interests he has. Man has more than one talent. It helps to develop that interest first before developing that into a business or a career. It helps to seek the triune God for help. At least maintain your sanity and the possibility of low self esteem due to prolong unemployment. God opens door one could never have imagined or achieved. At least his wife is working that could reduce the pressure a bit. Stop going to taxi driving everytime you have been retrenched because in a few years time all cars will be autonomous. There will not be a need for taxi drivers.

Every crisis a man or woman faced helps you to build up your character and life experience. You should be thankful for such experience that you can re evaluate your life's priorities.

Last edited:

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
..The last thing is going into business, that will need financial resources. It could be at least 50k to 100k just for a start to go into retail.

Starting a business is no guarantee of success. It is a huge financial commitment. In his predicament, a slip and he will not be able to get up. Partnering with someone else in business is also a big risk. Friends in business but money no friends. If cheated, how to get up?

The option is still to do part time work or provide consultancy services on engineering cases for a fee. Small fee income but it will help to tide things over while looking for another job.

The worst of all is to do nothing and blame the paps for everything when everybody knows that the paps are the cause of every one's retrenchment due to foreigners being employed to replace sinkies.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not all mudlanders are successful just like not all Singkies are successful. But in Perth now,,most singkies are employees,,,compared to mudlanders,,,singkies are more often in professions,,like accountants and engineers etc,...the m&ds are more willing to run a business,,,but not all hor,,,,in mudland,,,its is better to run a biz even with ali baba relationship than be an employee,,in singkieland,,it was better to be an employee than a biz owner...

Mudlanders are more likely to succeed despite having degrees. PappaRich Northbridge is a good example. 2nd outlet in south opening Oct and now sourcing a 3rd 70-seat outlet in the north.

babuSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best way to get wealthy is to make money work for you with minimal involvement. In setting up your own business many a times you have to take care of employer benefits, payroll, sustainability, books keeping, audit and how to keep your business afloat during times ahead.

All these are just too much work. The best advice i have for your friend is to fork out $5000, open an online forex trading account and trade gold currency. Easiest way to make money. Enter a position, go out for coffee and check your mobile app

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
neddy, you are in perth, good for you...

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
.... The best advice i have for your friend is to fork out $5000, open an online forex trading account and trade gold currency. Easiest way to make money. Enter a position, go out for coffee and check your mobile app

My colleague's husband did just that ; quitted his full time job as operations manager and went into forex trading. It did not last long though for after three months he has to start looking for a day job. Luckily for him who is still quite young he managed to find a new job.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a biggest pimp in Singapore (little India Area), please bring your customers to me, 30% com. will be rewarded.

Any bro want to joint? no risk no capital required, just get your girls to see me, you may try first and put up their profiles for to me price them.