• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Politics in Singapore needs to grow up

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
Subject: Politics in Singapore needs to grow up

In a Facebook post, PAP MP Hri Kumar wrote: “Opposition politicians who want a platform to share their ideas should organise their own forums. If their ideas are really better, people will support it.”

So the SDP did what Mr Kumar suggested: we wrote to the Sembawang and Bukit Panjang-Holland Town Councils as well as the Thomson Community Club to hold a forum on the CPF:

Dear Sir,

The Singapore Democratic Party wishes to organise a public forum to discuss the CPF issue with residents of Ghim Moh/Holland-Bukit Timah. The event is entitled "CPF – A Public Conversation".

We would like to do this at the pavilion next to Blk 7 Ghim Moh Road on 26 July 2014 from 2-5pm. If the venue is unavailable, we would be grateful if you could suggest an alternative within the constituency.

Thank you.

Christopher Ang
Assistant Secretary-General
Singapore Democratic Party

The Two Councils rejected our applications and the Thomson Community Club (the place where Mr Hri Kumar conducted his CPF dialogue) said that their venue was unavailable but would not give us an alternative date despite our requests.

The PAP MP also wrote in his post: “If their ideas are really better, people will support it.” That is true. But how can Singaporeans support our ideas if they don't get to hear them?

The SDP has come up with alternative ideas which we believe are better. But we are prevented from effectively and meaningfully reaching out to the people.

This is the kind of PAP double standards that anger Singaporeans. The PAP may think that it is a clever strategy: telling the people that the opposition can organise our own forums but denying us the venues in which to hold them.

In the past, the SDP has repeatedly applied for permission to tell Singaporeans of our ideas and policies. All of them have been denied (see here, here and here).

Mr Hri Kumar also said: “Some have alleged that I want to control the attendees so that the dialogue will be a 'wayang'.”

The wayang that Singaporeans are so angry about is the PAP using unfair and undemocratic means to deny them alternative views and ideas from the SDP while pretending to be open and fair. The PAP's tactics only breed resentment among the people.

The time has come for politics in Singapore to grow up.

Mr Hri Kumar then parted with this statement: “I know some people are itching for the opportunity to run me down. That’s ok – that’s how they understand politics and they are welcome to take their best shot.”

No, Singaporeans are not “itching” to run him or his party down. They just want to be treated fairly and not be manipulated.

Dismissing his critics with such scorn is most unfortunate and uncalled for. Singaporeans have legitimate concerns about our CPF money and do not deserve to be addressed in such a tone.

One final and cautionary note: Inviting an oppressed people to take their “best shot” is like waving a red flag at a raging bull – while lying down.

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
When Chiam See Tong won Potong Pasir and PAP took on toddlers, closing the kindergartens there

I totally lost my respect for PAP since....

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When Chiam See Tong won Potong Pasir and PAP took on toddlers, closing the kindergartens there

Even a tree planted by Chiam was uprooted. To the PAP, it has been and always will be either their way or the highway.

10409736_781769508522705_2688920889532128986_n.jpg

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Hri Kumar then parted with this statement: “I know some people are itching for the opportunity to run me down. That’s ok – that’s how they understand politics and they are welcome to take their best shot.”

This pappy MP got it wrong. The sinkies wanted just to have a chance to see him fight for his Parl seat in a one to one contest in GE2016. If he won, it would show he had the sinkies' support to be in Parliament. If he did not win, he ought to keep his mouth shut.

Right now, he is Parliament through the back door of GRC. Nothing to be proud of.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal

The irony of it all is that pap supporters' toddlers also did not have any kindergartens in PP to go to. This is not the way to see sinkie land as one united country. It is a policy to "divide and rule."