• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canon and Nikon DSLR future discussion

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://pdl.vimeocdn.com/58895/718/2...5480326aea0c419d&aksessionid=fe17af19ab306804

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/cameras/the_mirrorless_revolution.shtml

The Mirrorless Revolution

There is no question times are a changing and in the photographic world we are witnessing these changing times with the migration to mirrorless camera systems. A recent report by CIPA and summarized by mirrorlessrumors.com shows that DSLR shipments are falling and mirrorless camera shipments are steadily climbing.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
e2a8e6788ff927c18b6ec7c7266643_zps336f3771.jpg

DSLR sales going down. Mirrorless sales going slighty up.

Well, if you look at that chart posted by Personal View you will notice a big change is going on in the system camera market. DSLR sales are dropping while mirrorles system camera are holding their ground. The data is based on the sales from Japanese camera manufacturers (Source: CIPA). It may explain why Sony is betting high on their mirrorless system and is a bit less “engaged” on the A-mount front. Still, there is a lot to do to make that mirrorless sales line make growth further…

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
DSLR sales going down. Mirrorless sales going slighty up.

This is my set of preferences at the moment...

1. Studio environment : Phase One all the way. The quality of the image is unsurpassed. However, the bulk, weight and lack of weather proofing and other features confine this camera to my studio. I wouldn't dream of taking it anywhere. It would be a nightmare. It works best when tethered to a computer.

2. Scenic , street, event (non sports) photography : My Olympus OMD is my first choice. It's so convenient, light and the quality is superb. My Fuji XT-1 is a distant second choice because of its lack of a touch screen. The electronic viewfinder is perfectly acceptable for these genres of photography.

3. Sports Photography : When it comes to shooting action sports, my D4 is the automatic choice. The electronic viewfinders in the mirrorless systems simply are not up to the task despite the significant improvements in the last couple of years. It's like watching a movie of the action rather than the real action.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good for you.
But for millions of other people, who can afford a phase one? are you upgrading to EM-1, the new f2.8 lens is sweet. The grip of EM-1 pretty comfortable.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Good for you.
But for millions of other people, who can afford a phase one? are you upgrading to EM-1, the new f2.8 lens is sweet. The grip of EM-1 pretty comfortable.

I already have an EM-1. Bought it at the beginning of this year. I regret buying the Fuji XT. I did not realise it did not have a touch screen. I bought it on a whim based on the rave reviews and did not research or test it out before I bought it.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Good for you.

Many Singaporeans can afford a Phase One. It is less than the price of a COE. However, they have different priorities so they prefer to spend that sort of money somewhere else.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I already have an EM-1. Bought it at the beginning of this year. I regret buying the Fuji XT. I did not realise it did not have a touch screen. I bought it on a whim based on the rave reviews and did not research or test it out before I bought it.

you did not realise that? you should have asked me.

you have EM-1, tell me about that camera compare to your old OMD-M5.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
you did not realise that? you should have asked me.

you have EM-1, tell me about that camera compare to your old OMD-M5.

RAW image colours better. Electronic viewfinder clearer. AF faster. Grip is more comfortable.

There is nothing wrong with my EM5 though. I bought the EM1 because my wallet asked me to.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks a lot for starting this thread. Now I have to go get something and lighten my wallet. I told myself not to open the thread. But I obviously failed.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Thanks a lot for starting this thread. Now I have to go get something and lighten my wallet. I told myself not to open the thread. But I obviously failed.

You can easily blow $50,000 if you want to or you can spend $3000 and get all the camera you'll ever need.

At the end of the day a camera is just a tool. In order to take beautiful photos, you need to be able to visualise a scene the way a camera does. It took me a long time just to become reasonably competent and I'm still not very good.

A $30,000 camera won't make you any better.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

This guy is entitled to his opinion but I don't necessarily share his views.

There is no "one camera fits all" scenario. The traditional DSLRs still do a better job with sports photography at the moment.

At the next Olympic games, if I see nobody using Nikon and Canon, I'll then believe that the two brands are dead.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This guy is entitled to his opinion but I don't necessarily share his views.

There is no "one camera fits all" scenario. The traditional DSLRs still do a better job with sports photography at the moment.

At the next Olympic games, if I see nobody using Nikon and Canon, I'll then believe that the two brands are dead.

Sport shooter will be using DSLR with super long telephoto for many years to come.

i recently bought A7s and going to stop using everything else. For me, it is the best camera for 2014.
The electronic shutter feature is a killer. 3 shots auto bracketing, using electronic shutter just take a split second to take 3 photos.
Using aperture 3 to bring 2 stop overexpose photo down on the mac, the noise level of a 6400 ISO is like a 400 ISO photo.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Sport shooter will be using DSLR with super long telephoto for many years to come.

i recently bought A7s and going to stop using everything else. For me, it is the best camera for 2014.
The electronic shutter feature is a killer. 3 shots auto bracketing, using electronic shutter just take a split second to take 3 photos.
Using aperture 3 to bring 2 stop overexpose photo down on the mac, the noise level of a 6400 ISO is like a 400 ISO photo.

I'm waiting for the one with the 4.5 stop image stabiliser out next early next year. Does yours have a touch screen?

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U mean the sony a7? Sony has improved alot but their lenses still leaves alot to be desired.