• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

2 PAP MPs Defend SMRT’s Chartering Service

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Policies and rules are not cast in stone. We need a few maverick MPs to question the status quo. I congratulate them for speaking up. The fact that they are PAP MPs speaks volumes about the quality of the useless WP opposition.

I fully agree that as long as the regular services remain unaltered, I see nothing wrong with chartering a whole train. It's good for the environment, it's efficient and it does not contribute to traffic congestion. Imagine the number of extra buses on the road if the supporters had chartered buses instead.

Pee..pee. both used hand to play football, tat's a fault!
Believed these MPs doesnt know rules of e game.

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thats funny ay,there must be one hundred and one vital national issues that PAP mps could have challenged the status quo but didnt,however concerning such a moronic issue as this,u have two idiots stepping up to the batting plate.speaks volume about their intelligence and their priorities.

Policies and rules are not cast in stone. We need a few maverick MPs to question the status quo. I congratulate them for speaking up. The fact that they are PAP MPs speaks volumes about the quality of the useless WP opposition.

I fully agree that as long as the regular services remain unaltered, I see nothing wrong with chartering a whole train. It's good for the environment, it's efficient and it does not contribute to traffic congestion. Imagine the number of extra buses on the road if the supporters had chartered buses instead.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Let's get to the bottom of what is wrong with the whole act. It is not in using train to get to the stadium. The wrong arises from the word "CHARTERED". If there is real concern of sudden surge in passenger number because of ACS's intention, they can liaise with Smrt prior to the event to make preparations for extra trains to be provided so that there will be no congestion. The public can still share the same train and it will be guaranteed that there will be no inconvenience to the public. It is not something new and Smrt has been doing this for many other events when there is a likely surge in passenger load such as ndp. Everybody will be happy.

"Chartered" means exclusively for the designated group. It is a act of elitism - something that the govt is against, as shown in their recent policy change that we stand equal chance to do well without a cert. If Smrt felt that providing extra trains just for this minor event is economically not viable and can only carter to the request if the trains are chartered, then we expect ACS to pay extra for the exclusive use of the trains. However, the feedback from the principal was that it was cheaper. This leads to the suspicion that there is favouritism, another display of elitism.

Mrt is to provide low cost transport for everyone. This incident is a precedence of elite abusing their power to make use of service for the public to satisfy their own vanity. If such silly act is not stopped decisively, it spells the end of "equality" in our pledge. Although such ideal never exist in real life, a govt must still act to pretend that they are doing their best to achieve it because the public is watching and waiting silently. Silence does not mean consent.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
"Chartered" means exclusively for the designated group. It is a act of elitism - something that the govt is against, as shown in their recent policy change that we stand equal chance to do well without a cert. If Smrt felt that providing extra trains just for this minor event is economically not viable and can only carter to the request if the trains are chartered, then we expect ACS to pay extra for the exclusive use of the trains. However, the feedback from the principal was that it was cheaper. This leads to the suspicion that there is favouritism, another display of elitism.

ACS students are members of the public too. They have every right to take the trains as paying customers of MRT.

The act of "chartering" was simply part of a logistical exercise to move a large number of members of public to one specific station at a particular time. Besides it's hardly unique to SMRT. Amtrak trains can be chartered too.
http://www.amtrak.com/charter-your-private-train

Charter Your Own Private Train

We offer private charter trains for meetings, retreats, events or conventions. We can customize a charter train based on the size of your group and your group's individual needs.
We can arrange a charter train for any kind of group including corporate meetings, incentive trips, sports teams or rail fan excursions.
An Amtrak charter train offers:

• Customized trip planning — catering, decorating and special activities.
  • Flexible itinerary — depart according to your schedule.
  • Opportunity to mingle and visit with your group — have meetings onboard or just socialize.

Google "train charter" and you'll numerous railways networks around the world where whole trains can be chartered for special occasions.

I cannot be believe the ridiculous, childish and downright churlish reaction to this whole issue. Everyone should be congratulating ACS for a fine win at the game instead of being wracked with jealousy.

I can understand the disappointment from those who couldn't make it to ACS but people should deal with that issue rather than harping over what I see as a perfectly logical and sensible transport arrangement.

greenies

Alfrescian
Loyal
As the CEO, he has the authority to call the shots regarding how the MRT is run.

Allowing the charter of MRT trains instead of buses shows his green credentials as the trains have a far smaller carbon footprint.

I congratulate Desmond for taking care of the environment and support his decision to allow the best school in Singapore to charter one the best MRT systems in the world.

As a chief, he does not understand the rules and guidelines, which are most concerned with us.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
As a chief, he does not understand the rules and guidelines, which are most concerned with us.

He probably said.. "fuck the guidelines I'll do what I think is right" and admire him for that. It's part of the ACS spirit.

Of course had he been schooled in RI, he would have been far more obedient.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if amtrak wishes to provide that service that is their perogative,however train chartering is not a service that SMRT provides regularly to the public,thus this "charter" is seen as a special priviledge and a abuse of power and authority.

yes u can charter a train on some godforsaken railway to some godforsaken place in siberia or crimea,ukraine,but major public train networks like london underground or new york metro or Hong Kong MTR is not open for "charter" willy nilly.they are important networks that serve the transportation of the city or country.

ACS students are members of the public too. They have every right to take the trains as paying customers of MRT.

The act of "chartering" was simply part of a logistical exercise to move a large number of members of public to one specific station at a particular time. Besides it's hardly unique to SMRT. Amtrak trains can be chartered too.

Google "train charter" and you'll numerous railways networks around the world where whole trains can be chartered for special occasions.

I cannot be believe the ridiculous, childish and downright churlish reaction to this whole issue. Everyone should be congratulating ACS for a fine win at the game instead of being wracked with jealousy.

I can understand the disappointment from those who couldn't make it to ACS but people should deal with that issue rather than harping over what I see as a perfectly logical and sensible transport arrangement.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He probably said.. "fuck the guidelines I'll do what I think is right" and admire him for that. It's part of the ACS spirit.

Of course had he been schooled in RI, he would have been far more obedient.

More like he thinks that he still calls the shot as he was as military chief.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They paid a reduced rate! And that's wrong.

Do you hear of the NY transit trains being chartered?

This is NOT the railway but the subway. Moreover, CEO of SMRT should have known the rules which disallowed it without permission.
For the flagrant violation of the rule, he should be fired and made to repay SMRT for all the fines incurred when he was CEO.

You got your priority all wrong, like the PAP. We have bigger concerns than a game of rubbish between two school. The misuse of public assets for the personal satisfaction of the CEO is corruption and that should not be tolerated.

As a graduate of ACS kindergarten, I am ashamed of this corruption.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you hear of the NY transit trains being chartered?

hollywood has been making special arrangements with the mta nyc transit to charter trains and entire sections of the subway for movie shoots and events. besides hollywood movie-making, there are events for fantasy themed parties, fashion shows, and everything in between. this seldom-known nugget is hidden in the mta website.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/sub_filming/

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the problem with sinkies who attempt to denigrate the pap online with their diatribes is that they don't bother to take the time to research vast troves of info that are readily available to them on the internet before shooting from the hip and kpkb every time a poorly written, unsubstantiated, poorly researched, over-personal and emotional piece of garbage comment or rant appears in the blogosphere. :wink:

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...... Amtrak trains can be chartered too......

Amtrak is a public funded rail system. So it is a good example, but only if without the details.

Their govt funded the rail system because all the private rail co were closing down due to no demand for intercity travel by rail. To keep the rail system alive, the govt had to step in. So it is no surprise that they allow chartering of an entire Amtrak train.

On the other hand, public funding of mrt is to keep the cost down so that it remains an affordable mode of transport. There is no lack of demand. Totally different scenario from Amtrak.

This brings us to the subject on the ability to give examples with censored details to defend a wrong. Smrt said that chartering the train is not new. There are precedences. However, they don't give more information of the previous cases. You have done the same. Are you an old boy? You sure possess that quality of telling half truth.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if it's after train operating hours, i support the idea of train chartering but it's during revenue hours, who will be responsible if the train break down again, all other revenue services will be affected. given the recent reliability of the train service, it's definitely a NO...NO... for train charter. we only have one track, can you imagine if the train is to break down, other services will be affected. seems to me desmond is more of a gambler rather than a risk taker.

this is coming from a ex-commissioning engineer with Alstom Transport. No one with a sane mind will want to take risk during revenue service in broad daylight. just remember alstom trains are not made to last. i forecast and predict there is no way to stop train breakdowns and it will be a norm, get used to it.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hollywood has been making special arrangements with the mta nyc transit to charter trains and entire sections of the subway for movie shoots and events. besides hollywood movie-making, there are events for fantasy themed parties, fashion shows, and everything in between. this seldom-known nugget is hidden in the mta website.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/sub_filming/

Hollywood brings in cash to fund the transit.

ACS sucks money from SMRT ...Desmond using SMRT assets to rub his ego. That's corruption.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
On the other hand, public funding of mrt is to keep the cost down so that it remains an affordable mode of transport. There is no lack of demand. Totally different scenario from Amtrak.

There is no lack of demand for buses either but nobody kicks up a stink when SBS or SMRT makes bus charter arrangements.

I really don't understand what the fuss is about. As long as the chartered trains were not run at the expense of normal train services, the travelling public would not be affected whatsoever.

In fact the additional chartered trains would mean that ordinary passengers didn't have to fight tooth and nail with thousands of ACS rugby supporters to board the trains. They would have benefitted from the charter arrangement rather than being hindered by it.

I view the whole issue as a dose of jealousy instigated by those who can't get into ACS.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Someone has to call the shots and I'm proud that an ACSian is rising to the occasion.

ACS is the BEST!

He thought he calls the shots. He doesn't. It is LTA that calls the shots. Goes to show that ACSians think too highly of themselves. Glad that I went to Toa Payoh Secondary School instead of ACS after my kindergarten years there.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Hollywood brings in cash to fund the transit.

ACS sucks money from SMRT ...Desmond using SMRT assets to rub his ego. That's corruption.

You have evidence that the chartered train arrangement resulted in losses for SMRT corp?