• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

2 PAP MPs Defend SMRT’s Chartering Service

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Source: TR EMERITUS

2 PAP MPs defend SMRT’s chartering service
August 28th, 2014 | Author: Editorial

desmondkuek.jpg

LG (NS) Desmond Kuek, SMRT President and CEO

In the midst of the SMRT train chartering saga, 2 PAP MPs have come out to defend the actions of SMRT of allowing ACS(I) to charter MRT trains for its private use during a sports event.

Shin Min reported today (28 Aug) that Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC MP Gan Thiam Poh and Mountbatten MP Lim Biow Chuan have both supported SMRT of allowing ACS(I) to charter MRT trains [Link].

Both MPs felt that as long as the public transport service is not affected, it’s alright for SMRT to provide private chartering services.

MP Lim Biow Chuan, who is a member of the Government Parliamentary Committee (GPC) for Transport, said:

“只要公共地铁服务仍能遵循时间表履行义务,不受专属地铁服务影响,我认为就没有问题。”

“As long as public MRT service still follows its timetable schedule, fulfilling their duties, and is not affected by the chartering service, I think there is no problem.”​

Another GPC member for Transport, MP Gan Thiam Poh, said:

“只要是在不影响公众便利的前提下进行,这其实是个好点子。如果出发点和目的地都靠近地铁站,以地铁取代巴士确实很方便,也能促进公共交通的使用量。”

“As long as it does not affect the public convenience, it (providing chartering service) is actually a good idea. If the embarkation and destination points are near the MRT stations, it is really convenient to travel by MRT trains instead of buses. This can also help promote the usage of public transport.”​

In a statement on Tuesday (26 Aug), LTA already censured SMRT for not obtaining permission from LTA first before deciding to let ACS(I) charter the MRT trains (‘LTA censures SMRT for private chartering of its trains‘).

LTA said, “Under the Circle Line licence, SMRT has to seek LTA’s prior approval for the provision of train services that are not open to the general commuting public. In this case, SMRT did not seek our approval before agreeing to provide the service. We are looking into the appropriate action to take.”

“We have also reminded SMRT that its primary focus must be to ensure good service delivery to the commuting public at large,” it added.

Hence, the crux of the issue is, under LTA’s licensing rules, SMRT must seek approval from LTA first before providing any private chartering service. SMRT has failed to do so and has broken LTA’s rules. Are the 2 PAP MPs suggesting that SMRT should continue to operate by breaking rules?

Even so, many netizens do not agree that SMRT should allow MRT trains to be privately chartered.

A TRE reader, Marky Sim, said, “LTA is right to investigate especially public monies from taxpayers have been used to ‘bailout’ or support public transport companies, especially with the recent injection of billions of dollars by the government.”

Another TRE reader, Muru, said, “SMRT received $1B of our taxpayers’ monies to survive… You take our money, then you’d better serve us first. If ACS(I) donate $1B to SMRT, they can charter the trains to have o**ies inside. I also don’t care.”

Both MPs have made statements which caused storms on the Net before.

At the height of the Jack Neo’s extramarital affair scandal in 2010, MP Lim Biow Chuan showed support for Neo saying, “Since he is remorseful over this incident, he should be forgiven. Actually, a man who has a good career development would find such scenarios unavoidable”. However, MP Lim later stated that he had been misquoted by the press.

In 2012, in an attempt to defend the high salary which PM Lee gets, MP Gan Thiam Poh said, “The Prime Minister is our leader. He has to be responsible for 3.5 million people. Thus, his salary can follow that of the population. One dollar per person would add up to 3.5 million dollars. The Prime Minister is already generous to give everyone a discount!

Basically, MP Gan was saying that PM Lee is already generous to give everyone a discount because he is drawing an annual salary of $2.2 million instead of $3.5 million, as each citizen is deemed to be worth $1 per pax.

gan-thiam-poh-fail.jpg

Meanwhile, while replying to a commuter’s complaint on Facebook about a train fault which happened yesterday morning (27 Aug), SMRT accused commuters of having ‘sky high’ expectations:

“This (SMRT) page is a fine example of the sky high expectations our commuters have as the (overdue) system renewal is carried out.”​

Capture22-544x480.jpg

End Of Article​

goldenmonkey

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's cool. So when is SMRT coming out with the price list for every school? or is it even to every company in Singapore?
Or will some brilliant MP would again say "someone" from his ward says that such catering should consider Singaporean first?

My very first question will be: Why does a certain school has that privilege?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These two MPs are the PAP's idiots brigade. They are sent to defend elites when ministers cannot do so. To qualify for this role, you must be thick skin and be able to frame issues idiotically.

The PAP Idiots club welcomes members all the time.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I didn't hear wrongly from one of the radio stations, the precedence that Smrt cited, was for a certain school where the students need special care. I am waiting for more details from them. Hope they can provide the answer quickly and not bring out a vague example and left it open to more speculations.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On page 70 of Smrt annual report 2011, it stated that 2 special tours for students from Pathlight School and Rainbow centre were conducted. Hopefully these are not the chartered tours that Smrt is referring to when they defended their action. I am sure ACS students have no special needs. Those chartered train tours were meant to provide students with special needs, so that "they can be independent and enjoy a safe travel experience." (Quoted from the annual report) I am pretty sure ACS students are not in this category.

http://www.smrt.com.sg/Portals/0/PDFs/About SMRT/Investor Relations/Annual Report/2011_AR.pdf

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a reason why a mass rapid transit system requires special clearance from the regulators. There is also a reason why a bus company does not need prior clearance. And this guy used to be Chief of SAF.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I see nothing wrong with ACS being granted special privileges not available to the general public.

ACS is the best school in Singapore and the perks they receive here and there is just icing on the cake.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I see nothing wrong with ACS being granted special privileges not available to the general public.

ACS is the best school in Singapore and the perks they receive here and there is just icing on the cake.

true true....my only regret is not having graduated from ACS.

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

R-A-F-F-L-E-S

Mighty Raffles is the BEST

R-A-F-F-L-E-S

Mighty Raffles beats the rest

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I graduated from ACS kindergarten ...am I entitled for those privileges? :biggrin:

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Desmond screwed up so many times and still no need to step down. This country totally lacks accountability. For that alone, i'll vote opposition just to change the Leegime.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Desmond screwed up so many times and still no need to step down. This country totally lacks accountability. For that alone, i'll vote opposition just to change the Leegime.
With 2 Gpc members for transport coming out in his defence, it is a sign that the top is protecting him. If one can get medal for mishandling that results in a riot, we can't expect much. This leadership is co insensitive and it needs more feedback to make them understand the severity of this action that appears trivial on the surface.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

As the CEO, he has the authority to call the shots regarding how the MRT is run.

Allowing the charter of MRT trains instead of buses shows his green credentials as the trains have a far smaller carbon footprint.

I congratulate Desmond for taking care of the environment and support his decision to allow the best school in Singapore to charter one the best MRT systems in the world.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As the CEO, he has the authority to call the shots regarding how the MRT is run.

Allowing the charter of MRT trains instead of buses shows his green credentials as the trains have a far smaller carbon footprint.

I congratulate Desmond for taking care of the environment and support his decision to allow the best school in Singapore to charter one the best MRT systems in the world.

Desmond should be paying his employer, SMRT, millions instead of receiving a paycheck. Thanks to his incompetence, his employer has been fined millions during his tenure.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Desmond should be paying his employer, SMRT, millions instead of receiving a paycheck. Thanks to his incompetence, his employer has been fined millions during his tenure.

The fines mean nothing. All they do is transfer money from Ho Ching's left bra cup to her right.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With 2 Gpc members for transport coming out in his defence, it is a sign that the top is protecting him. If one can get medal for mishandling that results in a riot, we can't expect much. This leadership is co insensitive and it needs more feedback to make them understand the severity of this action that appears trivial on the surface.

These two idiots support the SMRT for violating the contract with LTA, a government agency. What does that tell you about them?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
These two idiots support the SMRT for violating the contract with LTA, a government agency. What does that tell you about them?

Policies and rules are not cast in stone. We need a few maverick MPs to question the status quo. I congratulate them for speaking up. The fact that they are PAP MPs speaks volumes about the quality of the useless WP opposition.

I fully agree that as long as the regular services remain unaltered, I see nothing wrong with chartering a whole train. It's good for the environment, it's efficient and it does not contribute to traffic congestion. Imagine the number of extra buses on the road if the supporters had chartered buses instead.