• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese owner of Sydney coffee shop speaks the truth but gets accused of racism

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Café Owner Told Job Applicant ‘Coffee Culture Is More About White People’

<cite style="box-sizing: inherit; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1.2rem; font-style: normal;">By Clint Rainey</cite>

Nilson Dos Santos, who is black and a Brazilian-born resident of Sydney, Australia, interviewed for a barista job at the inner-city café Forbes and Burton, but was apparently turned away because of his race. Owner Steven Hu, who reportedly moved to the city from Shanghai less than a year ago, was apparently shocked and surprised by Dos Santos's skin color when they sat down to chat on Sunday. "But you're black?" he asked, before adding, "my customers are white. I don't think they'd like to have their coffee made by black people. That's not part of the coffee culture. You're African."

The proprietor tried to explain his stupid policy. "We need to offer good service at this café and I think the coffee culture is more about white people," Hu reportedly said, before Dos Santos, who has nine years' experience as a barista under his belt, resisted a sharp impulse to punch the guy in the face and instead ended the interview right then and there.

"I thought that if I just left and closed the door, he'll do that over and over again to everybody else that comes," he said. Instead, Dos Santos went the public-announcement route. "I stood in the middle of the café and said, 'Excuse me, I don’t mean to bother everybody but I just asked for a job and he told me that I can’t because I’m black and shouldn’t make coffee for white people.'"

The move triggered an exodus of disgusted patrons, led one employee to quit on the spot, and prompted a tidal wave of boycott threats and more old-fashioned threats. Steven Hu, in the meantime, has taken several opportunities to reinforce his horrible point of view and says he was "just being honest." (A local news station says Hu told them that "most baristas were either white or Asian, saying he was just trying to provide his customers the best service.") The café has since been "flour-bombed" and the business has been singled-out online by everyone from Australia's Race Discrimination Commissioner to the guy who regrets he'll no longer be getting his afternoon flat white from Forbes and Burton. The country's Fair Work Ombudsman is now investigating, and meanwhile, Dos Santos, who has repeatedly said he doesn't want any harm to come to Mr. Hu, is still looking for a barista gig.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 462

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sydney café closes after owner from Shanghai refuses to hire black barista

cafe-sydney.jpg

sydney-cafe-sign.jpg

A poster found outside the cafe, presumably stuck there by an angry resident. Photo by @burrrrgerfeed

A café owner in Sydney and recent transplant from Shanghai appears to have closed his shop down after he faced public backlash for refusing to hire a black barista.The Sydney Morning Herald reports that the Forbes & Burton café in Darlinghurst, an inner-city suburb of Sydney, shut down last week and still remained closed as of Tuesday.

Owner Steven Hu, who arrived in Australia from Shanghai nine months ago, admitted last week that he refused to hire 39-year-old Nilson Dos Santos, a Brazilian-born Australian citizen, because he was black.

Dos Santos, who's had experience working as a barista in Sydney for nine years, claims that Hu turned him down during the job interview because he didn't think his customers wanted coffee "made by black people".

The exchange led several customers to walk out and prompted one employee to quit on the spot in a sign of solidarity.

New.com.au
cited local residents who said that the café had been vandalized following the news, and online, the Forbes & Burton Facebook page was bombarded by hundreds upon hundreds of angry comments directed towards Hu.

SMH reports that there are no signs around the shop explaining its closure, but posters can be found attached to nearby power poles reading: "How dare you come here and tell us how to do racism, we've been practicing it since 1788, thank you very much."

It's unclear if the store will be closed permanently, although allegations of discrimination are currently being investigated by the Fair Work Ombudsman.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What the fuck! Coffee is 'white culture'? Coffee originated in Africa, with archaeological evidence showing its earliest cultivation and use in Ethiopia and Yemen!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What the fuck! Coffee is 'white culture'? Coffee originated in Africa, with archaeological evidence showing its earliest cultivation and use in Ethiopia and Yemen!

He's talking about COFFEE CULTURE, not coffee beans or coffee plants or the drinking of coffee.

For example, chilling at Starbucks, ordering a latte and some cake.

The white folks started it, and it took the world by storm. Starbucks, Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, Gloria Jean's etc.

Now even McDonald's is getting into it.

McCafe_Cup.jpg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
When LKY speaks the truth he gets accused of being an irrelevant old fart out of touch with reality.

“Over time, Singaporeans have become “less hard-driving and hard-striving.” This is why it is a good thing, that the nation has welcomed so many Chinese immigrants (from mainland China)…..If native Singaporeans are falling behind because “the spurs are not stuck into the hide,” that is their problem.”

[h=2]Lee Kuan Yew, in an interview with National Geographic magazine, December 2009[/h]

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He's talking about COFFEE CULTURE, not coffee beans or coffee plants or the drinking of coffee.

For example, chilling at Starbucks, ordering a latte and some cake.

The ancient Ethiopians and Arabs were the first to chill over a cup of coffee, not the ang mohs. Europeans and Americans only discovered it in the 18th century and turned it into a 'cafe culture' in the 20th.

Talk about re-inventing the wheel.

ancientcoffee.jpg

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kopitiam kulture in sg has an older, richer and more exotic history than starbucks, but is not successfully exported.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 425

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kopitiam kulture in sg has an older, richer and more exotic history than starbucks, but is not successfully exported.

Absolutely. The American cafe culture really only started with Starbucks in 1971. The Singaporean and M'sian kopitiam culture can be traced back to the early 1920s when Hainanese eateries were transformed into social centres where coolies and bosses alike gathered to chill out over a cup of coffee after a hard day's work.

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Australia is already the most racist country in the world. And a chink dares go there and teach them how to be racist! <shake head>

What do you expect from a PRC Communist Goon? Probably washing his dirty money in Australia buying some cafe. His explanation of not hiring the blackie reeks of poor education, complete ignorance and arrogance. Even if I don't want to hire a blackie, I will not say such shit in front of his face in a country with free press (the blackie will go complain to some newspaper).

He should done this in Singapore and the spin doctors at 154th press will proclaim he is a Singapore (and thus Singapore a racist/xenophobicl/blah blah).

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've posted this yesterday and I'll post it again: the great country of Australia has been ruined by mass immigration!

Ah tiongs have been buying up small/medium businesses and running ithem like Chinkie sweatshops

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To be honest, I understand the stupid Ah tiong's point of view. Blacks generally make terrible employees. Lazy, hardly punctual, less than bright... they have been called "unmanageable".

Ah tiong's inability to articulate this in a PC manner landed him in hot soup