• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Best and Worst Countries for Hotel Hospitality

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whats your experience?

Best -cannot beat South East Asians's sense of sincere desire to serve

1) Thailand
2) Indonesia
3) Philippines
4) Malaysia
6) New Zealand

Worst - either bohchop, looking for tips, angmo tuakee or poor attitude

1) India
2) China
3) USA
4) Germany
5) Russia

Mixed bag - very nice to very bad, hard to predict, luck of draw
1) African countries
2) Pacific Island hotels
3) Sri Lanka
4) France
5) Japan
6) Australia

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Either I got lucky, or my stay at China hotels always turned out well. Stayed in both 3 and 5 star before. USA also not too bad, didn't encounter attitude problems. Malaysia very good (5 star hotel).

Australia cannot make it. Hong Kong, Seoul, just have to endure the experience.

Alamakinky

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey you there ..... yes you...dont look away. Stay back after school to do counting lessons with me.

Whats your experience?

Best -cannot beat South East Asians's sense of sincere desire to serve

1) Thailand
2) Indonesia
3) Philippines
4) Malaysia
6) New Zealand

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Worst - either bohchop, looking for tips, angmo tuakee or poor attitude

1) India

I have just watched an interesting BBC documentary on the Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai. The guest service levels and attitude of staff in this hotel would put even those at the Raffles or Ritz Carlton to shame.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed China hotels are surprising very good. Mentioned you are from a multi national company and you usually get a free upgrade with the "hotel manager" paying you visit to discuss "business opportunity".

Either I got lucky, or my stay at China hotels always turned out well. Stayed in both 3 and 5 star before. USA also not too bad, didn't encounter attitude problems. Malaysia very good (5 star hotel).

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Either I got lucky, or my stay at China hotels always turned out well.

One of my best hotel stay experiences was at this Shanghai hotel near Jing'an called The Puli. The service was top class. and it was one of the most tastefully decorated hotels I've been in.

lw2812_28068495_450x362.jpg

Goes to show the Chinese can up their game to meet any world class standard if they put their minds to it.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Certainly agree on the top choice - Thailand, no one beats them for hospitality. For the others, I wouldn't rate them by country, but by the hotel and probably luck, some are good, some are bad. North American hotels will not be able to match others for attentive 24 hour service (don't know about their resort hotels in Las Vegas etc.) as their labour rates are so high you won't get 24 hour coffee houses there. China is pretty good as well and very affordable. Can't say the same for Peesai.

Cheers!

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, also check out their "ktv", cafe lounges.

One of my best hotel stay experiences was at this Shanghai hotel near Jing'an called The Puli. The service was top class. and it was one of the most tastefully decorated hotels I've been in.

lw2812_28068495_450x362.jpg

Goes to show the Chinese can up their game to meet any world class standard if they put their minds to it.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have just watched an interesting BBC documentary on the Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai. The guest service levels and attitude of staff in this hotel would put even those at the Raffles or Ritz Carlton to shame.

the taj and oberoi chains have been steeped in traditional hospitality culture, not just in top-notch customer-centric services but in the way their properties are built / renovated from palaces etc with the sort of ambience that give other hotels a run for their money.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I chose to use countries rather than Hotel chains as the desire to hospitable and accommodating appeared to me as a cultural attribute. If you go to Thailand, not matter where you stay - hostel to 5 star, the general approach to guest has high base level and sincerity. In India it unpredictable. Certain notable landmark hotels have a history and a tradition and they cut across cultures but these are few and far between. Very built and nurtured by Swiss and German management legacy.

A good example is the Taj. Have stayed in 3 different Taj hotel including the one in Mumbai. The differences are vast.

One hotel chain that I found impressive in term of infrastructure and high standards is the Shangrila. their gardens, decor, restaurants and quality of service is high but the staff do have their up and downs.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you're a backpacker, you'll stay at a guest house.

No need for VIP treatment. As long as the facilities are in good working condition and there is no dishonesty from the staff, it is okay.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal

Agree. China isnt that bad unless it is low class hotel.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Indeed China hotels are surprising very good. Mentioned you are from a multi national company and you usually get a free upgrade with the "hotel manager" paying you visit to discuss "business opportunity".

Thanks for the tip. When abroad I always make sure I sample the local produce at least once

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
A good owner or staff at a backpacker can make a difference. Much of their business is by word of month and online travel guide recommendations. A smile is all its takes.

If you're a backpacker, you'll stay at a guest house.

No need for VIP treatment. As long as the facilities are in good working condition and there is no dishonesty from the staff, it is okay.