• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Human civilization - the exploring of ideas, values, consciousness

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Human civilization is a civilization of ideas and values. In each of our existences as part of the human race, we explore a vast myriad of ideas and concepts, a delve deeply into the complex web of interactions with our fellow men and women.

Right now in our world, mothers and fathers are exploring the meaning of raising a family, of commitment and responsibility. Romantic partners are exploring the ideas of love, fidelity, integrity, happiness, and the meaning of a shared destiny. All over the world, common men and women are exploring the ideas of human dignity, work, the struggle for achievement and recognition, morality, the meaning of wealth and freedom. Politicians are exploring the concepts of nation building, leadership, idealism versus realism, sacrifice, nobility, corruption, exploitation, slavery, violence, the meaning of democracy, individual and collective rights, peace and justice.

Human civilization studies these deeply profound ideas and issues and is embarking on an adventurous exploration of its psyche and its place in the universe. What is the individual’s role in human civilization? How does each of us contribute to this grand, cosmic undertaking, and what do we gain in return for our commitment and participation in this project?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Too chim for Asians. They are simple people. The Elites have the power, status and control. The rest have little.

Kishore Mahbubani asked the wrong question, Can Asians Think?

He should ask, Can Asians set up Protest and Resistance?

So far, only Hong Kong is trying.

jw5

Loyal
It boils down to whether you believe there is a god. :wink:

Human civilization studies these deeply profound ideas and issues and is embarking on an adventurous exploration of its psyche and its place in the universe. What is the individual’s role in human civilization? How does each of us contribute to this grand, cosmic undertaking, and what do we gain in return for our commitment and participation in this project?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
What is the individual’s role in human civilization?

I guess everyone would have their own perspectives and there isn't a single yardstick to determine which is the best fit. Nevertheless, the feuds of the past and present is fueled by the inability to agree to disagree amicably. Inequality will always be present; coupled with greed, envy, jealousy and hate, we're going no where near utopia in the near future.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I guess everyone would have their own perspectives and there isn't a single yardstick to determine which is the best fit. Nevertheless, the feuds of the past and present is fueled by the inability to agree to disagree amicably. Inequality will always be present; coupled with greed, envy, jealousy and hate, we're going no where near utopia in the near future.

I think the first step for mankind is to realize that our beliefs create our reality. So a belief in the power of violence will perpetuate the cycle of violence; a belief in the unworthiness of some will perpetuate inequality, and so on.

jw5

Loyal
In that case, your options are boundless, i.e. you are not restricted by the doctrines of a particular belief.

The world can be your oyster, and of course, the oyster can also be your world. :wink:

I do not believe in god. Only believe that the universe is within each and every creature, molecule, atom...........

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
In that case, your options are boundless, i.e. you are not restricted by the doctrines of a particular belief.

The world can be your oyster, and of course, the oyster can also be your world. :wink:

Err..... for me now its only oyster sauce!

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not believe in god. Only believe that the universe is within each and every creature, molecule, atom...........

To each his own belief but sometimes, take a step back and ponder how the plants, the trees, animals, Man, etc could evolve and survive on this plant Earth if there is no intervention of some superior Being that we know as God, Allah, Jesus, Tian Gong, etc?

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
To each his own belief but sometimes, take a step back and ponder how the plants, the trees, animals, Man, etc could evolve and survive on this plant Earth if there is no intervention of some superior Being that we know as God, Allah, Jesus, Tian Gong, etc?

What if every single consciousness from the highest being to the smallest atom had a magnificent dream a long time ago, and that dream was so vivid that it exploded into actuality?

What if we are all now re-creating that dream at every conceivable moment, with each of our deeds, our thoughts, with each very act of consciousness?

What if the universe was being created and re-created again and again in a infinite string of creativity and eternal validity?

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
What if every single consciousness from the highest being to the smallest atom had a magnificent dream a long time ago, and that dream was so vivid that it exploded into actuality?

What if we are all now re-creating that dream at every conceivable moment, with each of our deeds, our thoughts, with each very act of consciousness?

What if the universe was being created and re-created again and again in a infinite string of creativity and eternal validity?

Some scientists say that the universe since the day of the big bang is still expanding and humans will continue to exist as long as the universe exists. What form will the homo sapiens be like in the future? Looking like the cyclops with one eye on the forehead? Or, will robots rule the Earth to replace humans? Your guess is as good as the next guy.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Understanding that death comes to all helps alleviate that sense of inequality for some :o:o:o

I believe in reincarnation.

But my belief is not rooted in any religion. It's definitely not the Buddhist version.

I believe that even after we have left the physical dimension, or work will continue. In fact our work will get even more challenging and demands much more of our creativity!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone sent me an email which says "Despite having landed on the moon, and developed the technology to split the atom, man still gets excited at the sight of boobs!"

I guess that is so because we are still primal apes inside us. We have learnt language, science, culture, literature, invented religion, debated philosophy, but we are still animals. For me, I've come to accept that there will be questions I will never find a satisfying answer during my physical life on earth. My colleague once told me, women think with their hearts, men think with their dicks. That's society. Have a beer!

Cheers!

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The inferior man's reasons for hating knowledge are not hard to discern. He hates it because it is complex -- because it puts an unbearable burden upon his meager capacity for taking in ideas. Thus his search is always for short cuts. All superstitions are such short cuts. Their aim is to make the unintelligible simple, and even obvious. So on what seem to be higher levels. No man who has not had a long and arduous education can understand even the most elementary concepts of modern pathology. But even a hind at the plow can grasp the theory of chiropractic in two lessons. Hence the vast popularity of chiropractic among the submerged -- and of osteopathy, Christian Science and other such quackeries with it. They are idiotic, but they are simple -- and every man prefers what he can understand to what puzzles and dismays him.

The popularity of Fundamentalism among the inferior orders of men is explicable in exactly the same way. The cosmogonies that educated men toy with are all inordinately complex. To comprehend their veriest outlines requires an immense stock of knowledge, and a habit of thought. It would be as vain to try to teach to peasants or to the city proletariat as it would be to try to teach them to streptococci. But the cosmogony of Genesis is so simple that even a yokel can grasp it. It is set forth in a few phrases. It offers, to an ignorant man, the irresistible reasonableness of the nonsensical. So he accepts it with loud hosannas, and has one more excuse for hating his betters.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i have already discovered paradise....it is australia.