• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

75% of registered members are clones

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
your guess is closer to reality than you think. spam bots and their originators are drawn to sites with increasing pageviews like sharks to blood. the high number of accounts with alpha-numerical id's that are pseudo-random generated is an indication of success, that the site has garnered attention and interest from spammers, stealth bots, fraudsters and hackers. human clone accounts, no matter how resourceful the creators and owners are, are no match in numbers for these autobot spam accounts. the riskiest event is a timed ddos attack when all the bot accounts wake up simultaneously and start posting lots of garbage and shit in a short space of time, or when naked pics of young children are posted. unfortunately, too many "legit" human members on sbf do not understand how the internet works and or how online forums really work, and they're making all these stupid wild accusations about percentages and how a few humans are behind the numbers. it's quite laughable. truly is. :biggrin:

Dun think so.....only a self-interested person will generate alpha-numeric ids, which can be easily decimated by host. Fact it is never done should mean something rather innocuous to one with some decent intellect. There're hundreds of scripts out there that can create human-like ids and bypass all manner of moderations, for no forum can cleanse itself of such an activity if the only filter is a dumb captcha that repeats itself simplistically based on a question and answer format. Besides, there is no need to have acct ids to successfully execute a ddos, whether bots or otherwise. You just need to simultaneously ping the website in horde all over the world, like what they do with a botnet and exhaust the bandwidth and crash the servers. It can be done, if one has the resources, but why bother?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
your guess is closer to reality than you think. spam bots and their originators are drawn to sites with increasing pageviews like sharks to blood. the high number of accounts with alpha-numerical id's that are pseudo-random generated is an indication of success, that the site has garnered attention and interest from spammers, stealth bots, fraudsters and hackers. human clone accounts, no matter how resourceful the creators and owners are, are no match in numbers for these autobot spam accounts. the riskiest event is a timed ddos attack when all the bot accounts wake up simultaneously and start posting lots of garbage and shit in a short space of time, or when naked pics of young children are posted. unfortunately, too many "legit" human members on sbf do not understand how the internet works and or how online forums really work, and they're making all these stupid wild accusations about percentages and how a few humans are behind the numbers. it's quite laughable. truly is. :biggrin:

I can pretty much identify spam bots not by the nicks that they generate but by the email addresses that is used to register the account.

Very little of the spam gets through because it's all held in the moderation queue. Occasionally I miss a few here and there when the volume of messages is too high to scrutinise each message.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Spambots can't create such accounts.

you're displaying your ignorance. [email protected] messaged me on my email with a link to a matchmaking site and signed off with robert0741963. [email protected] messaged me with a link to a gambling site but signed off with johnmancuzo445778. these are just some examples of spambots doing their work. they have been creating godzillions of spam accounts on popular sites with simple email registration for years. all it takes is a script. :rolleyes:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can pretty much identify spam bots not by the nicks that they generate but by the email addresses that is used to register the account.

Very little of the spam gets through because it's all held in the moderation queue. Occasionally I miss a few here and there when the volume of messages is too high to scrutinise each message.

yes, email addresses used to create those spam accounts are easily identifiable with the alphanumeric combinations. that's the first pass. once they get through, user id's such as 080726jk, 1123542, and 112233 (on the 1st page) and pseudo-random alphanumeric id's such as 2w102jsfh and 2ssfa1007 (on the 2nd page) are highly suspicious.

it's good practice to maintain the moderation queue for spam messages from these accounts, including legit messages from human accounts. it's unfortunate but necessary. there's much scrubbing of spam content behind the scenes, and legit content from newbies get caught as collateral damage in the script-scrubbing process. members need to understand it's a thankless job, and it's not always perfect.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There're hundreds of scripts out there that can create human-like ids and bypass all manner of moderations, for no forum can cleanse itself of such an activity if the only filter is a dumb captcha that repeats itself simplistically based on a question and answer format.

very easy to compose a script with first name last name followed by random alphanumerals to scale the id list from millions to billions. and another script to spam from these accounts. and the whole shhbang is called a spam bot routine. :wink:

this technical article dissects the spam bot routine of stealrat, which relies on spreading its ilk among compromised servers (botnet) and then flooding legit email users (gmail in the examples) with spam messages by originators on a first name last name basis (without random numerals as suffixes) about lesbian grandma getting fisted. :biggrin:

https://www.botconf.eu/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/03-JessadelaTorre-SpamBot-paper.pdf

now you know what i'm reading on my free time. :o

Last edited:

LEGEND

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have a few nicks here. If i only use 1 of them to post at every one time, does it classifies me as clone?

Stompiss

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Had a cursory glance at the members list and the vast majority had no single post and the naming style of these nicks does not indicate a genuine member.

Is this to boost marketing revenue and is this the reason why clones are encouraged with the points systems geared to motivate proliferation. If it helps to defray cost no issues.

Just curious.

Tuayapeh this moniker looks familiar to you?

Very curious.

jw5

Loyal
Manipulative yet needy humbug Scroobal just realised that his points were at 666 for some time, and quickly used one of his numerous clones to up himself 2 points.

Now 668. :biggrin:

Scroobal's points now 666. Machiam Satan symbol :biggrin: