• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

75% of registered members are clones

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Had a cursory glance at the members list and the vast majority had no single post and the naming style of these nicks does not indicate a genuine member.

Is this to boost marketing revenue and is this the reason why clones are encouraged with the points systems geared to motivate proliferation. If it helps to defray cost no issues.

Just curious.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I've never bothered to check. Far more important is the number of guests who read the the stuff here. They are the ones that register the majority of page views and it is the page views that set the advertising rates that the forum can command.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I've never bothered to check. Far more important is the number of guests who read the the stuff here. They are the ones that register the majority of page views and it is the page views that set the advertising rates that the forum can command.

I guess Scroo (and myself) are curious why so many clones are allowed to exist when they don't post and obviously created in systematic fashion by someone or some group of people for agendas unknown.

flickr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Had a cursory glance at the members list and the vast majority had no single post and the naming style of these nicks does not indicate a genuine member.

Is this to boost marketing revenue and is this the reason why clones are encouraged with the points systems geared to motivate proliferation. If it helps to defray cost no issues.

Just curious.

Do me a favor. Get Leongsam to free up the database resources and delete accounts with no postings. I made that request to him months ago but....

There are those with grey nicks that are regulars who are silent readers and black nicks that are unconfirmed members who are also silent readers.

Who wants to bet with me that this will be another discussion that will eventually fade away. Over the years this topic has been discussed more than once. :biggrin:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Do me a favor. Get Leongsam to free up the database resources and delete accounts with no postings. I made that request to him months ago but....

Nicks that don't post messages don't take up resources because storage is extremely cheap nowadays and no host bills or imposes limits on the size of the database anymore.

Besides just because a member does not post messages does not mean he/she is not entitled to sign up as a member. They could be using the account to PM, view attachments (which cannot be seen without signing in), subscribe to selected threads etc.

The lurkers are just as important to the forum as the main actors just as football fans are as important to the game as its stars.

Alamakinky

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well said...I have deducted your points but no need to thank me.

Anyway my England not strength so what does 'cursory glance' mean? Glance and then not happy and curse?

Nicks that don't post messages don't take up resources because storage is extremely cheap nowadays and no host bills or imposes limits on the size of the database anymore.

Besides just because a member does not post messages does not mean he/she is not entitled to sign up as a member. They could be using the account to PM, view attachments (which cannot be seen without signing in), subscribe to selected threads etc.

The lurkers are just as important to the forum as the main actors just as football fans are as important to the game as its stars.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
OK I understand now. Was not aware of the restrictions placed on non members.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I too thought that page views were the norm but thought that registered members must have played a part. Its quite bizarre that thousands of clones have been created. Must be quite an obsession.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh come now, adding fake accounts and fake views are the best ways to inflate advertising . Go read this stuff online. It's nothing new. Denying it outright is just stupid

Gotze

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh come now, adding fake accounts and fake views are the best ways to inflate advertising . Go read this stuff online. It's nothing new. Denying it outright is just stupid

That's what facebook and other social media platforms do. But this forum shouldn't be doing that. It simply makes no sense and wouldn't be worth the effort.

My best guess is these accounts are generated by spam bots and they are stuck in moderation because they don't manage to post anything meaningful other than, well, spam.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My best guess is these accounts are generated by spam bots and they are stuck in moderation because they don't manage to post anything meaningful other than, well, spam.

your guess is closer to reality than you think. spam bots and their originators are drawn to sites with increasing pageviews like sharks to blood. the high number of accounts with alpha-numerical id's that are pseudo-random generated is an indication of success, that the site has garnered attention and interest from spammers, stealth bots, fraudsters and hackers. human clone accounts, no matter how resourceful the creators and owners are, are no match in numbers for these autobot spam accounts. the riskiest event is a timed ddos attack when all the bot accounts wake up simultaneously and start posting lots of garbage and shit in a short space of time, or when naked pics of young children are posted. unfortunately, too many "legit" human members on sbf do not understand how the internet works and or how online forums really work, and they're making all these stupid wild accusations about percentages and how a few humans are behind the numbers. it's quite laughable. truly is. :biggrin: