• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will government agencies really place skills above degrees?

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE - At his National Day Rally on Sunday, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong talked about the need for a "culture shift" to persuade young people to consider alternative routes to career success.

They must not be caught up with the idea that a degree is the only path to a fulfilling career, he said. Singapore must always be a place where everyone can feel proud of what they do, and anyone can improve his life if he works hard, he said.

He also talked about the need to shift employment practices and mindsets, including that of the Public Service Division which does the hiring for the government.

This, I think, is crucial for the shift to happen.

I recently wrote about the job search experiences of two young women. They both had adequate, even good, qualifications and as far as I could tell, the necessary skills for the jobs they were aiming for. But they failed to land the promotion or jobs they wanted.

One was a polytechnic diploma holder in early childhood education. She excelled as a pre-school teacher and got yearly pay rises and even won best teacher awards. After four years, she applied for a higher position within the company, and was was told she could not expect to rise further as she did not have a degree.

The other woman had a degree - in English language and literature - from a private school here. Although she graduated with honours and spoke flawless English, she couldn't even secure an interview when she applied for a post-graduate teaching diploma at the National Institute of Education.

Recently, she got accepted into several master's programmes in education overseas, including from the prestigious Columbia University in the United States. She wrote to me complaining that despite all the talk about valuing skills and not exam results, employers in Singapore, including the Government, still look at academic results.

She wished MOE had at least granted her an interview. Then, at least, she could have shown them that she had the right aptitude and skills.

Their experiences point to underlying problems in the way Singapore employers, including the Government, recruit, recognise and reward workers.

In school, students aiming for specific careers pick up skills and knowledge. But once they head to work, their hopes are dashed by employers who tend to still look only at paper credentials.

Even if they are hired, it is common for government agencies and even private sector employers to have different pay scales for graduates, and to vary pay according to the person's degree class.

This needs to change.

Except for professional jobs requiring specific qualifications, like doctors and lawyers, many other jobs these days can be performed equally well by graduates and non-graduates, so they should be open to anyone with the required skills.

Another practice that needs to be reviewed - paying non-graduates less even if they are performing the same job as graduates. Employers should pay and promote based on job scope and performance.

It was heartening to hear PM Lee talk about how paper qualifications aren't everything.

But it is only when more employers - including the Government's own agencies - place skills above credentials will young people be persuaded to invest more in acquiring relevant skills, and not chase after degrees.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The barriers will still exist. Civil service will promote a few just to receive PM's recognition. Sama sama Stat board.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, don't be so naive all politicians are bullshitter. Try ask for a simple Technical Officer Job in HDB when you only obtained sec 4 cert. The interviewers will laugh at you and think you are mad burger. Anyone can try if you don't believe what I said and revert your finding.

SINGAPORE - At his National Day Rally on Sunday, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong talked about the need for a "culture shift" to persuade young people to consider alternative routes to career success.

They must not be caught up with the idea that a degree is the only path to a fulfilling career, he said. Singapore must always be a place where everyone can feel proud of what they do, and anyone can improve his life if he works hard, he said.

He also talked about the need to shift employment practices and mindsets, including that of the Public Service Division which does the hiring for the government.

This, I think, is crucial for the shift to happen.

I recently wrote about the job search experiences of two young women. They both had adequate, even good, qualifications and as far as I could tell, the necessary skills for the jobs they were aiming for. But they failed to land the promotion or jobs they wanted.

One was a polytechnic diploma holder in early childhood education. She excelled as a pre-school teacher and got yearly pay rises and even won best teacher awards. After four years, she applied for a higher position within the company, and was was told she could not expect to rise further as she did not have a degree.

The other woman had a degree - in English language and literature - from a private school here. Although she graduated with honours and spoke flawless English, she couldn't even secure an interview when she applied for a post-graduate teaching diploma at the National Institute of Education.

Recently, she got accepted into several master's programmes in education overseas, including from the prestigious Columbia University in the United States. She wrote to me complaining that despite all the talk about valuing skills and not exam results, employers in Singapore, including the Government, still look at academic results.

She wished MOE had at least granted her an interview. Then, at least, she could have shown them that she had the right aptitude and skills.

Their experiences point to underlying problems in the way Singapore employers, including the Government, recruit, recognise and reward workers.

In school, students aiming for specific careers pick up skills and knowledge. But once they head to work, their hopes are dashed by employers who tend to still look only at paper credentials.

Even if they are hired, it is common for government agencies and even private sector employers to have different pay scales for graduates, and to vary pay according to the person's degree class.

This needs to change.

Except for professional jobs requiring specific qualifications, like doctors and lawyers, many other jobs these days can be performed equally well by graduates and non-graduates, so they should be open to anyone with the required skills.

Another practice that needs to be reviewed - paying non-graduates less even if they are performing the same job as graduates. Employers should pay and promote based on job scope and performance.

It was heartening to hear PM Lee talk about how paper qualifications aren't everything.

But it is only when more employers - including the Government's own agencies - place skills above credentials will young people be persuaded to invest more in acquiring relevant skills, and not chase after degrees.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Talk is cheap, watch what they do and ignore what they say. :wink:

https://shinedom1.internet.gov.sg/m...bb07182718482575c900455cfa?EditDocument&Seq=1

Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Foreign Service Officer
(Functional and Corporate Services)

Entry Requirements

A Foreign Service career is more than just a job. It is a way of life that offers unique opportunities and rewards. Yet, it sometimes entails uncommon hardships. The search for extraordinary Singaporeans to serve as Foreign Service Officers is intense, and the qualifying process is rigorous, demanding and highly competitive.
You must be a Singaporean with a keen commitment to the public service. To apply, you should preferably have a second upper honours degree or equivalent, or be in your final year of study. All academic disciplines are welcome, but you should have a deep interest in international and domestic affairs. We need well-rounded graduates with strong analytical and conceptual abilities, excellent written and oral communication skills, a capacity for effective working relations, and good planning and organisational abilities. You must be prepared to accept the challenge of working overseas. An overseas posting requires people who are flexible, versatile, resourceful and have a clear understanding of Singapore's interests. You must be able to cope with frequent changes and live in diverse social and cultural environments.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The thing I appreciated most about the American MNCs that were the mainstay of the sg economy in the 70s was the fact that they largely ignored paper qualifications and concentrated on actual performances when it came hiring, promoting and firing.

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Gov will say anything to get themselves in power. I never believe anything they say until they proved themselves in action.

quelone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its just lip service at the moment. Try applying for a job without relevant qualifications and see where you end up.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fully agreed, my friend of sec 2 education in Queen Town Technical Sch working in Texas/Metox as technician promoted to mgt staff drawing $8,000/mth. After retrench in 1989 can't find a decent salary job. mobian become illegal bookie, operating in Batam/Malaysia.

The thing I appreciated most about the American MNCs that were the mainstay of the sg economy in the 70s was the fact that they largely ignored paper qualifications and concentrated on actual performances when it came hiring, promoting and firing.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actually, i see this as a move to employ polytechnic and ITE students at a cheap wage. these graduates are only paid less than 2k. taking into account that you have to work your way up, much cost will be saved in engaging Uni. graduates to start at a more advance level.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Gov will say anything to get themselves in power. I never believe anything they say until they proved themselves in action.

Have we that short memories??? really that short...weren't they the ones, in their privatisation pursuit, by ATTRITION ( remember the word) & GO-lden handshakes, dismissed, removed or sack many from government services & the private sectors followed.

These people are the present PIONEER generation...have these people forgotten, so fast??? now, they are signing praises for these same whom they have discarded.....OLD iS GO-ls indeed....the same devil is now an ANGEL!

scoobydoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fully agreed, my friend of sec 2 education in Queen Town Technical Sch working in Texas/Metox as technician promoted to mgt staff drawing $8,000/mth. After retrench in 1989 can't find a decent salary job. mobian become illegal bookie, operating in Batam/Malaysia.

you cannot earn big bucks working a honest job.
but alas, what jobs are there for us?

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course. Carrying balls is a speciality. You think every scholar can do that? Females even easier to get promoted

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
S’pore wants fewer university degree holders. Here are the media reports trying to convince you.

http://mothership.sg/2014/08/spore-...are-the-media-reports-trying-to-convince-you/

frankly, there are not enough jobs for University graduates.

Actually, that's only half true. Plenty of university grads from Tiongland, Pinoyland and Ah Neh Land are gainfully employed in Sinkieland.

I think this is an agenda of something greater: telling Sinkies to up their skills and not chase paper qualifications, while at the same time hand the jobs over to the FTs. Nothing is sacred anymore: even the police is hiring FTs.

Agenda-setting media. Too bad most Sinkies aren't discerning enough to see through the bullshit.