• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

is it ok to mix different grade of engine oil?

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
cut short story.
my car engine oil is leaking slowly.
fresh from servicing is 5 liter full.
3 month later, i check the dip stick,it show half full.
bending down and check, yes there are tiny drop of black oil dripping (should be very slow)

qns:
is it ok to buy another 2 liter to top it up?
i not too sure the previous serving the workshop use which synthetic oil.
can i just buy 5w50 and pour it in to mix it? :confused::confused:

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
OK 5w50 for old car is ok but you should top up after 1/2 day n usually gasket do not leak. That would b severe

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
cut short story.
bending down and check, yes there are tiny drop of black oil dripping (should be very slow)

qns:

Don't be like the PAP.

Short term solution and creating long term problems.

If there is a leak, one or more seals /gaskets has busted.

Take the right solution.

If cannot afford.

Don't drive. LoL

potato29

Alfrescian
Loyal
do not mix oil. u shld check oil level every day. the dipstick will show max and min, if it is in between shld last another 3 mths.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
its ok to mix oil of different grade/weights. just don't mix synthetic with mineral oil.

http://ask.metafilter.com/36474/Can-I-mix-different-weight-oils-in-my-car

and

From the Chevron.com site:
"Can I mix different viscosity grades of motor oils?"
"Yes. It is always advisable to not mix motor oil brands, however, different viscosity grades of the same brand motor oil are compatible. Be aware that mixing viscosity grades will turn out a product that is different in viscosity than either what was originally in the engine or what was added."

From Shell.ca:
"If you mix viscosity grades such as a 5W30 low-viscosity oil and a 10W40 higher-viscosity oil, it is reasonable to expect that the resulting product will have viscosity characteristics which are thicker than the 5W30, but thinner than the 10W40. This change does not reflect incompatibility - it's simply a re-balancing of the viscosity characteristics. In all other ways, the product should work as expected. But there's absolutely no danger about incompatibility resulting from mixing engine oils," Miller says. "We've tested all of our grades and brands, and we haven't observed any problems."

From Mobil1.com:
"For our customers to choose a viscosity grade, we recommend they follow the engine manufacturer's recommendations as indicated in their owner's manual. There is no need to mix two Mobil 1 viscosity grades when one will do; however, we see no problem mixing different SAE grades of Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic series motor oils."

qns:

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cut short story.

qns:

Owning a car and driving is supposed to be a luxury without any headache with parking, payments and maintenance. I have a friend who owns a car and get headache almost daily due to his car. Sometime e.g. leaking of gasket can make him sleepless for weeks.
So best is not to own a car lol

SAMMMYBOY

Alfrescian
Loyal
Owning a car and driving is supposed to be a luxury without any headache with parking, payments and maintenance. I have a friend who owns a car and get headache almost daily due to his car. Sometime e.g. leaking of gasket can make him sleepless for weeks.
So best is not to own a car lol

I have No right to say get a Kapkia....

so, pls take our super Efficient MRT.

revealer

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no reason why different grade of motor oil cannot mix, even for synthetic and regular motor oil. Except when they are mixed, the oil content and composition will be different. For example, if one mix synthetic and regular motor oil, one should change the oil more frequently.. it no longer able to withstand 35,000km as claimed. If one mix heavy grade of motor oil will lighter grade, the oil may have different viscosity and might not be able to lubricant the engine as well when it is under stress.

It is good to find out where is the engine oil leak and have it fix as engine oil is not any cheaper to refill. For older cars, most likely the crankcase or the camshaft casing is distorted rather than the gaskets. This is always true when we send our cars for engine overhaul, involving removal of the crankcase or camshaft for inspection or for engine part replacement. These mechanics will never bother to tighten the bolts of the casings in the correct sequence and therefore, distorted the casing. The only remedial is to replace the casing unless one can fix the casing's alignment.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is no reason why different grade of motor oil cannot mix, even for synthetic and regular motor oil. Except when they are mixed, the oil content and composition will be different. For example, if one mix synthetic and regular motor oil, one should change the oil more frequently.. it no longer able to withstand 35,000km as claimed. If one mix heavy grade of motor oil will lighter grade, the oil may have different viscosity and might not be able to lubricant the engine as well when it is under stress.

It is good to find out where is the engine oil leak and have it fix as engine oil is not any cheaper to refill. For older cars, most likely the crankcase or the camshaft casing is distorted rather than the gaskets. This is always true when we send our cars for engine overhaul, involving removal of the crankcase or camshaft for inspection or for engine part replacement. These mechanics will never bother to tighten the bolts of the casings in the correct sequence and therefore, distorted the casing. The only remedial is to replace the casing unless one can fix the casing's alignment.

Thanks. Very informative.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
cut short story.

qns:

U are asking the wrong question. If you are already 3 months between oil changes, you might be due for one. You should check your mileage since the last oil change and see if you are due for one. It depends on how much you drive, but in 3 months, even the best maintained car will see some loss in oil. So, its not unusual to lose a litre or so in between oil change. Some cars like an Audi A4 with the 1.8 Turbo engine will lose 1 litre a month of oil. If you are due for one, just go for an oil change. If you have an older car, its not unusual to have some small leakage. And you don't bend down to check for oil dripping. Unless u like to stick your ass up in the air like a bapok. U check the ground to see if there are any oil stains on the ground, not look for slow drips. In particular, the place that you park regularly. If there is oil stain on the ground, than you have a slow oil leak.

The best thing to do is just get a bottle of liquid gasket sealer and add it to your engine oil at the next oil change. that should stop the leaks.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
"The best thing to do is just get a bottle of liquid gasket sealer and add it to your engine oil at the next oil change. that should stop the leaks"

Sure boh?? Sounds like pouring superglue into his engine.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
cut short story.

qns:

You are really funny, engine leak oil you top up oil instead of fixing leak.
If your roof leaks i imagine you will keep a lot of pails at home.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
It can be done in minutes? U are full of shit.

he is not only FULL of shit.

He don't even know what a gasket looks like, the different sort of gasket, how to make gasket without an OEM gasket, where are gasket being used and not all gasket are the same.

In fact he might not even know that a car has an engine to power it! LoL

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Crankshaft and camshaft distorted can cause oil leak?

What sort of shit are you talking and there is one fourmer who even says what you post is informative!

The kind of ppl in this forum.

If you had said the mating surface of the engine cases are damaged or the O ring/gasket and seal are worn/wrong sized or too compressed at least I will say you can post some sense.

Or it could even be the Ah Beng mechanic who did not torque the engine cases with a proper torque wrench with the correct torque!

Crankshaft and camshaft distort?LoL
d

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't be like the PAP.

Short term solution and creating long term problems.

If there is a leak, one or more seals /gaskets has busted.

Take the right solution.

If cannot afford.

Don't drive. LoL

You dunno TS is SBF resident cheapo charlie wet market ah soh?
Best if you can find him a $2 solution because that's his budget.
Cb irresponsible cheap fucks like him not only endanger himself but other road users.
Save by cheating on parking coupons instead....at least no impact to others.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Crankshaft and camshaft distorted can cause oil leak?

What sort of shit are you talking and there is one fourmer who even says what you post is informative!

The kind of ppl in this forum.

If you had said the mating surface of the engine cases are damaged or the O ring/gasket and seal are worn/wrong sized or too compressed at least I will say you can post some sense.

Or it could even be the Ah Beng mechanic who did not torque the engine cases with a proper torque wrench with the correct torque!

Crankshaft and camshaft distort?LoL
d
KNN, you are either blind or you can't read English properly. He did said the camshaft and crankcase casing, not the camshaft nor crankcase itself, which makes sense.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
watch out for viscosity of oil, should get correct viscosity for your engine type. Otherwise, too low, loss or power....... too high viscosity...if I remember correct, may cause engine knocking.

Also if leaking because of your gasket; If oil mix with water in water jacket, radiator water oily. And any black smoke? If black smoke, then your piston ring may be worn. If not, then leakage at oil sump, and not at engine body or piston ring.

My 2c:(

If in doubt, flush and pour new oil.:biggrin:

cut short story.

qns: