• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Woody Goh Thinks Singaporeans Shouldn't Question The Government.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This Wooden Clown's stupidity and "out of touchness" never fails to amaze me.
Really, I don't know what to say.
Everytime, he opens his anal mouth, he puts his big foot in as well.
And he was a one-time PM?

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
By Ghui

I have always hated the term “generation gap”. It is a term generally used to say, “it cannot be helped that we do not understand each other”, when it is usually little more than an excuse for a lack of effort.

Instead of putting energy into narrowing the divide, blame is being placed on an artificial construct – a case of favouring a diagnosis for the problem as opposed to going to the root of the issue. This is what I believe the incumbent government is going through with its current generation of citizens, who are more discerning in the information they receive and who they trust.

We are 49 years old, and the government is nowhere wiser in understanding what its citizens want of it.

The socially active (or politically aware) Singapore citizen we see today has grown up in the world of emails, Facebook and instantaneous information at the touch of a button. The concept of hard cover encyclopaedias is alien to them. If they have a question, they turn straight to the screen and are hit simultaneously with a multitude of facts and figures.

They are unaccustomed with having to wait and indeed, why should they when so much data is available virtually and immediately?

This group of citizens will also be more apt to questions and suspicions. There is after all so much information out there on the web that they have to constantly assess and evaluate. They will not believe everything told to them wholesale. They are used to being hit with data overload en mass and are well equipped to process, dissect and come to their own conclusions.

Compare this fast paced online world with the seemingly unwieldy single party dominated bureaucracy that appears to be developing, and we see why the government is but a system that is so entrenched, it cannot react to changing demographics in a world that now expects instant answers.

The answers that state run or state affiliated agencies give are increasingly unable to provide younger Singaporeans with the comprehensive answers that they require and are ready to absorb. This coupled with the relative size of this expanding group of questioning citizens, hungry for answers in an increasingly connected world, is a recipe for possible disaster at the ballot box.

The government is certainly aware that there is a problem and they have gone to great lengths to try and win back its voters. The question is, are these actions effective?

The GST reforms, numerous speeches on an “inclusive society” and the formation of an “Honour Society” are all hallmarks of efforts to engage with Singaporeans, but are they barking up the wrong tree?

What the government needs is an infrastructure and mind-set that allows for them to give direct, open and to the point answers at a swifter pace. What it doesn’t need is more perceived catchphrases, gimmicks and opacity such as Honour Singapore, which no one really understands.

Another example would be the Roy Ngerng saga. From any angle you look at it, it was clear that the Prime Minister has truly missed a golden opportunity to connect meaningfully and sufficiently with his citizens. Instead of coming out and giving his version of events, he hired lawyers and issued legal letters. This serves to isolate the PM even more from the people he seeks to rule. The lawyers and letters are but layers that make him even more alienated from the general populace.

A lack of clarity would trigger the questioning Singaporean to seek immediate answers on the Internet. If the government is so concerned with misleading online content, it should seek to issue faster and clearer answers, be ready to explain and clarify right from the start, instead of waiting for mistrust to set in.

I have no doubt that the government is putting in effort but to ensure that the effort pays off, they must learn to work smart. They have to recognise and accept that the rules of engagement have changed.

Dumbing down complex issues on the pretext that “it is hard for the average citizen to understand”, or remaining opaque because “the people should trust the government to do its job” are no longer options. Being non-patronising, open and direct will help win the hearts and minds of the people.

Singapore is neither a dictatorship or a monarchy. The government has to put in some effective work into engaging an ever-more questioning citizenry. It is not for the public to try and understand the government. It is for the government to prove to the public why it deserves to rule.

Unless that mindset changes – and no recent examples ha
ve demonstrated such attitude or aptitude – the government will still be stuck thinking that it is talking to the generations of yesteryears.

http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2014/08/changing-rules-of-engagement-with-a-questioning-electorate/

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If the people find out trillions of dollars of assets have been wolfed up by the dogs, do you think they have anywhere to go in the world? Each scholar is worth tens of millions if no more. That does not include other dogs

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i seems to recall a incident of a young sissy faced boyish minister giving a senior old black minister whose been in the cabinet for decades a tight slap on the face like a pimp slapping his hoes.....is woody goh referring to this incident when he says we shouldnt question authority?

DO YOU KNOW OUR PM ONCE SLAPPED CABINET MINISTER DHANABALAN ON THE FACE?

In 1990, an incident occurred in a pre-cabinet meeting which was the beginning of entrenching further among the many in the core executive, resistance to Lee Hsien Loong’s long term ambitions for prime ministership. Prior to this meeting Lee Hsien Loong had gone to the office of Richard Hu, the Minister of Finance, and removed a number of files without Hu’s permission. At that time Lee’s office was on the 48th floor of what is now Temasek Tower and Hu’s was on the 50th floor.

At the pre-cabinet meeting Hu took Lee to task for doing this and was supported by Tony Tan. Lee’s response was aggressive and insulting, he directly insulted Tan and Hu, a man of his father’s age. This was a double insult to Hu, who was Lee’s superior in cabinet and a person of an age who should of itself deserve respect in Chinese society. Suppiah Dhanabalan intervened and chastised Lee for his behaviour, demanding that he apologise to Hu, withdraw his remarks and not interfere in other minister’s portfolios. A heated exchange occurred into which a number of other issues intruded and eventually Lee lost his temper, and reportedly reached across the table and slapped Dhanabalan across the face.

This caused an uproar in the cabinet and Lee was severely chastised by Goh Chok Tong. Dhanabalan stormed out of the room and did not return for some time. Lee, in response to a demand from Goh, subsequently apologised to Dhanabalan, Hu and Tan. Hu, Dhanabalan and Tan all initially stated that they would leave the cabinet as a result of this incident. Goh later took up the matter with Lee Kuan Yew who reportedly verbally thrashed his son over the matter.

This was apparently followed by a more sober, educational but equally critical assessment from Lee Hsien Loong’s mother, a talented though background political adviser. Lee Kuan Yew reportedly met later that day with Hu, Tan and Dhanabalan, apologised for his son’s behaviour and requested that they not resign, supported by a similar request from Goh Chok Tong.

All held out for some time, eventually Hu agreed to stay, but Dhanabalan and Tan both resolved to leave. This they did the following August 1991 elections, all without a public word against Lee Hsien Loong, continuing to subscribe to the tenet of all secrets staying within the PAP family.

Last edited:

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now Woody says we are family ? That's news. I dont recall my parents giving my lunch to the neighbor kids and letting them use my bed.

Timerty

Alfrescian
Loyal
"a whopping 40 percent of Singapore’s population made up of foreigners which in turn have led to wage depression, job insecurity"

LeongSam, ting dao le mei you??

Timerty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Woody Goh should go work in a $7/hr job and get squeezed in spoilt MRT then let's see if he will not complain.

Stupid dumb ass fucker talk so much elite cock.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Woody Goh should go work in a $7/hr job and get squeezed in spoilt MRT then let's see if he will not complain.

Stupid dumb ass fucker talk so much elite cock.

i dont mind working in a $7 hr job and train breakdowns....what i mind is being squeezed in this goddam country with 2 million smelly foreigners!!!

i can get a minimum wage job anywhere in the world,what else is singapore offering me besides the stench of 1 million shitskin b.o.????

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now Woody says we are family ? That's news. I dont recall my parents giving my lunch to the neighbor kids and letting them use my bed.

Go away Woody, you're not part of my family. Even if you once were, I disown you.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was never a Bond. It was leash that is slowing fraying at the edges. Some have broken free. We were ruled by the fear of law that was enforced by a harsh and self serving regime.