• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Instant Noodles - what's your fav ingredients

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
Instant noodle are quoted with wax, first boiled the noodle than dump the first boil water.
Second boil than you add ingredient for consumption.

I have read somewhere before that the moodles are pre deep fried and covered with a layer of wax. I think that is the main killer and not msg. Msg is only a peoblem when your daily sodiun intake far exceeds FDA recommendations and you have history of hyper tension. If i am not wrong, they have yet to proof the link between sodium and hyper tension, just like too many eggs not good.

Anyhow, i digress. Want to share how i have been cooking instant noodles. I will cook them in the normal way. When it is done, i will pour the water away to get rid of the bad stuff. As for the seasoning, i will use boiling water to mix with the seasoning and then pour over the cooked noodles.

that is Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100. i like the spice on that one.

the reason why wax is used is because traditional our noodle are coaxed with oil/larb to prevent them from sticking to each other.
using wax can also achieve this yet cheaper.
wax is different from candle wax.
this wax is our Styrofoam box that is melted to become wax

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have read somewhere before that the moodles are pre deep fried and covered with a layer of wax. I think that is the main killer and not msg. Msg is only a peoblem when your daily sodiun intake far exceeds FDA recommendations and you have history of hyper tension. If i am not wrong, they have yet to proof the link between sodium and hyper tension, just like too many eggs not good.

Anyhow, i digress. Want to share how i have been cooking instant noodles. I will cook them in the normal way. When it is done, i will pour the water away to get rid of the bad stuff. As for the seasoning, i will use boiling water to mix with the seasoning and then pour over the cooked noodles.

I will use very hot water to rinse it first........ pour away the water & then boil the instant noodle to cook the normal way.........................the hot rinse is to remove the wax

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Health issues aside, i like to add those chinese dried mushroom into my soup. First i would use water to soak the mushroom to soften it and then slice the mushrooms. The water that was used will then be used to cook the soup and everything will taste better, imo. Give it a try...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if it's so unhealthy, why are everyone so into it, doesn't make some sense?

The same reason people are.eating ay Macd & all the other fast food places. Those companies spent plenty of $ making unhealthy things taste great.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why didn't HPB order instant noodles to be ban since it's so poisonous...?

The same reason people are.eating ay Macd & all the other fast food places. Those companies spent plenty of $ making unhealthy things taste great.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Just had this Korean cup noodle after back from drinking, not bad

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Favourite is Laksa but a bit expensive

Special ingredients: Add hard boiled egg and fish cakes/balls
If available, add chicken pieces

bc8sCwZ.jpg

Mykuali versus Prima
http://johorkaki.blogspot.ca/2014/03/mykuali-penang-white-curry-versus-prima.html

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try the Hankook brand of Korean Instant ramen noodles. Good portion, good ingredients. Best that I have tasted so far. Those who are concern about salt and msg can replace with event ingredients

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.yahoo.com/health/why-ramen-noodles-could-cut-your-life-short-94747327572.html

Holy hotplates! Instant ramen noodles, beloved cheap dinner of college kids and budget eaters everywhere, have been linked to heart attacks and diabetes. A study published in the Journal of Nutrition found that the ramen, along with other instant noodle products, may increase a person’s risk for cardiometabolic syndrome — a risk factor for severe cardiovascular disease and stroke — especially in women.

“This research is significant since many people are consuming instant noodles without knowing possible health risks,” said lead researcher Hyun Joon Shin, MD, in a press release. Shin, a clinical cardiology fellow at Baylor University Medical Center and a nutrition epidemiology doctoral student at the Harvard School of Public Health, could not be reached for further comment.

For the study, researchers looked at the data of 10,711 adults between the ages of 19 and 64, collected via the nationally representative Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey of 2007-2009. They found that eating instant noodles — ramen, lo mein, glass, Thai, or other — twice or more a week was associated with cardiometabolic syndrome, a collection of abnormalities affecting the body’s cardiovascular, renal, and metabolic systems.

Although the specific cause of the problem was not immediately clear, Shin noted that it might stem from the fact that most instant noodle meals come packaged in Styrofoam, which contains bisphenol A (BPA), a known hormone disruptor — which is also why women could have been more affected in this study. But the food product contains plenty of unhealthy ingredients, including MSG and the chemical preservative tertiary-butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), and is also high in saturated fat.

The study focused on individuals in South Korea, Shin said, as the country has the highest per-capita number of instant noodle consumers in the world, and because, in recent years, health problems there, including heart disease and obesity, have been on the rise. But the findings appear to be quite relevant to consumers stateside too, as the United States ranked sixth globally in instant noodle sales, according to the World Instant Noodles Association, which found that the United States accounted for 4,300 billion units sold in 2013 (coming in just behind China, Indonesia, Japan, Vietnam, and India — and one spot above South Korea, in fact).

This is not the first time ramen noodles have been publicly maligned. In 2012, a viral video taken from inside the digestive tract, part of a small and inconclusive study by Dr. Braden Kuo, showed just what happened after instant ramen was ingested — and it wasn’t pretty. The stomach worked overtime, struggling for hours to grind up the strands; TBHQ, a petroleum byproduct, was named as a possible culprit. Years earlier, Malaysian health officials issued a warning against eating instant noodles because of ingredients such as thickeners, stabilizers, sodium, and preservatives that have been linked to heart disease, stroke, and kidney damage.

Nissin Foods, maker of the first instant ramen noodle in Japan in 1958 (and the company that brought Top Ramen to the U.S. in 1972), did not respond to a request for comment from Yahoo Health.

The bottom line? Ingest the cheap and filling noodles at your own risk.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
yup. thanks to joetys for the recommendation, i now have packets of laksa from prima taste as my emergency food. it's as good as making laksa from scratch.

Just arrived home (from Singapore), still craving for Singapore food so how? Cook laksa la - Prima laksa (just bought yesterday at Sheng Siong) with Indonesian tahu sumedang, fresh chicken and laksa leaves.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Just arrived home (from Singapore), still craving for Singapore food so how? Cook laksa la - Prima laksa (just bought yesterday at Sheng Siong) with Indonesian tahu sumedang, fresh chicken and laksa leaves.

You should have bought My Kuali Penang White Curry Noodles..Just add a hard boiled egg and some shredded chicken ... Si bei Shiok!

DSC_0001jk.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
This one I heard not same our laksa style and taste. More malaysian taste.