• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Legendary General who rose from Lieutenant to General in the shortest time

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kim Jong Um
Who took the shortest time to rise from Lieutenant to General in modern history?

Lee Hsien Loong was born in 1952.

Enlisted in the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) as a Recruit in 1971.

Disrupted his Officer Command School (OCS) training and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in 1971.

Went to Cambridge on a President's Scholarship and graduated in 1974. Returned to SAF as a Lieutenant.

He was then promoted to Brigadier General in 1983 (he also disrupted to do a Masters degree at Harvard in 1980).

Basically he served 8 years of active service in the SAF, in which time he was promoted from Lieutenant to BG (that's six ranks).

The ranks of CPT to COL all have two grades each. Meaning that he was promoted NINE times in eight years.

Truly a military legend - I can't think of a General with a record this stellar. Patton, Pershing, Mountbatten, McArthur and Powell are all left trailing in his wake.

http://therealsingapore.com/content/who-took-shortest-time-rise-lieutenant-general-modern-history

Who dares to attack Sinkapore with legendary general Lee at the helm?
lhldrum.gif

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The SAF back then already preparing to reserve the Field Marshall rank for Pinky but he chosed to enter politics and cut short his glorious military career..

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who took the shortest time to rise from Lieutenant to General in modern history?

Truly a military legend - I can't think of a General with a record this stellar. Patton, Pershing, Mountbatten, McArthur and Powell are all left trailing in his wake.

http://therealsingapore.com/content/who-took-shortest-time-rise-lieutenant-general-modern-history

lhldrum.gif

He got double promoted because he fight and won a war for his country.
[h=1]Lymphoma war.[/h]

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
This showed that LKY is a fake. Spend all this life cheating Singaporeans in the past 50 years.

Army is about taking lives of civilians and soldiers. An incompetent army general will destroy the nation.

Thanks God there was no war in the past 50 years, if there is you and I will not be kpkb in the internet.

Fuck PAP.

Enlisted in the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) as a Recruit in 1971.

Disrupted his Officer Command School (OCS) training and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in 1971.

Went to Cambridge on a President's Scholarship and graduated in 1974. Returned to SAF as a Lieutenant.

He was then promoted to Brigadier General in 1983 (he also disrupted to do a Masters degree at Harvard in 1980).

Basically he served 8 years of active service in the SAF, in which time he was promoted from Lieutenant to BG (that's six ranks).

The ranks of CPT to COL all have two grades each. Meaning that he was promoted NINE times in eight years.

lhldrum.gif

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
shameful SAF general....

the most SAF General can be proud of, is uneventful NDP...

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140806/CAREERS03/308060058/New-one-star-U-S-military-s-first-general-born-Vietnam

135349-LUONG_X_VIET-400.gif

Col. Viet Luong pinned on his first star during a ceremony Wednesday at Fort Hood, Texas, becoming the first Vietnamese-born general officer in the U.S. military.

Luong, the 1st Cavalry Division’s deputy commanding general for maneuver, and his family escaped Vietnam in 1975 as political refugees. The infantry officer and 1987 graduate of the University of Southern California has commanded a battalion of 82nd Airborne Division paratroopers in Iraq and led the 101st Airborne Division’s 3rd Brigade Combat Team, the storied Rakkasans, into combat in Afghanistan.

“It’s a personal honor for me to be promoted to the rank of general officer, but I don’t want the promotion to be too much about me,” Luong told Army Times. “It’s a tribute to my soldiers and [noncommissioned officers], the folks who’ve worked to get me where I am.”

Luong said he is grateful for the opportunities granted to him as a U.S. citizen.

“It’s a testament to what this nation stands for, and her ideals, and the opportunities my family has gotten,” he said.

Luong, the only son in a family of eight kids, was born right outside Saigon, now named Ho Chi Minh City.

His father served in the Vietnamese Marine Corps, so “during a time of war, my dad was always away,” Luong said.

He was 2 during the 1968 Tet Offensive, one of the largest military campaigns of the Vietnam War.

“I don’t remember much about it but images of explosions and bad things happening,” Luong said.

In 1975, when Luong was 9, his family escaped the chaos in Vietnam.

“My family made the escape the day before the fall of Saigon,” he said. “We barely escaped.”

They were taken to the USS Hancock, a now-decommissioned Navy aircraft carrier, and eventually to Fort Chaffee, Arkansas, which was set up to receive refugees from Vietnam.

Luong and his family stayed there for about two months, until one of his father’s friends helped the family resettle in Los Angeles.

The family, starting from nothing, worked hard, and “over time, we were able to send all the kids to college,” Luong said.

The family’s experience has made him and his sisters “very patriotic,” Luong said.

“As a transplanted American, or an immigrant coming from a different country, there’s no sense of entitlement as far as earning that citizenship, and working hard to contribute to our nation,” he said. “There’s a sense of service, for me, to be able to give back to our nation for all the opportunities it’s given us, saving us from harm’s way but also the opportunity to assimilate and move up through education.”

Luong said his father, “the biggest influencer in my life,” inspired him to serve in the military. But he knew he would serve even as he stood on the deck of the USS Hancock, Luong said.

“That was such a profound moment for me, to see our service men and women and get an appreciation for what they did,” he said.

Luong initially considered joining the Marine Corps to become an infantryman like his father. Then he met an ROTC instructor, an airborne-qualified sergeant major, who told him about the opportunities offered by the Army and ROTC.

His 27-year career has been highlighted by the opportunity to command troops in combat, Luong said.

“Those were the most challenging times for me,” he said. “I’ve lost so many soldiers, and that has always been part of what the future has in store for me, in trying to really get people to understand that freedom comes at a pretty high price. For us who’ve lost troops in combat, it’s very personal.”

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have changed all of those who served in them, he said, and Luong is preparing to return to Afghanistan later this year.

The 1st Cavalry Division headquarters is already deployed to Afghanistan and is running Regional Command-South.

When RC-South, as part of the ongoing transition and drawdown in Afghanistan, is converted into a one-star Train, Advise and Assist Command, Luong will deploy to lead the new organization.

greenies

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best General should defend against enemies and fight the war.
He is quite similar in that approach such as he defends for his clan and he strategizes to fix opp.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
shameful SAF general....

the most SAF General can be proud of, is uneventful NDP...

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140806/CAREERS03/308060058/New-one-star-U-S-military-s-first-general-born-Vietnam

135349-LUONG_X_VIET-400.gif

Col. Viet Luong pinned on his first star during a ceremony Wednesday at Fort Hood, Texas, becoming the first Vietnamese-born general officer in the U.S. military.

Thanks for the story. What a big contrast between General Viet Luong and our General Ass Loon..

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the story. What a big contrast between General Viet Luong and our General Ass Loon..

AIYOH!

Which is why Arseloon must immediately distance himself from kuchingkurad generals so no comparison be made

ARSELOON MUST DECLARE HIMSELF TO BE GRAND FIELDMARSHALLISSIMO, THE HIGHEST EVER MILITARY TITLE AND BEYOND COMPARISON TO ANYONE IN HISTORY OR IN FUTURE
ARSELOON IS THAT GREAT THAT NAPOLEAN, ALEXANDRA, GENGHIS KHAN , JULIUS CAESER, GENERAL GIAP ARE ALL DWARFS COMPARED TO IMCOMPARABLE GRAND FIELDMARSHALLISSIMO ARSELOON

ESPECIALLY WHEN HE AWARD HIMSELF VICTORIA CROSS FIRST CLASS AND MEDAL OF HONOR