• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ UEFA Champions League 2014-15 ☆

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juventus can reach Champions League quarter-finals - Bonucci

692122_heroa.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Jan 3, 2015 14:10:00

The defender is confident of making the last eight of the competition without disregarding the threat posed by their last-16 opponents

Leonardo Bonucci is confident Juventus are capable of reaching the quarter-finals of the Champions League and says last-16 opponents Borussia Dortmund will provide the perfect European litmus test for his side.

The Bianconeri won three consecutive Serie A titles under previous coach Antonio Conte, but European football's elite competition has proved to be something of a stumbling block.

In each of the past three seasons the club have failed to progress beyond the group stages, but Massimiliano Allegri successfully navigated his new side into the last-16 by finishing second in Group A behind Atletico Madrid.

Juve were subsequently drawn against Bundesliga side Dortmund and despite their struggles in Germany's top flight, Bonucci says the game will show just how far the team have come under their new boss.

"Dortmund are a great team and they will tell us exactly what level we have reached in the Champions League," he said.

"In the Champions League you need luck, but we have improved and we can finish in the top eight, I am certain of that."

Despite topping Serie A heading into the winter break, Allegri's men ended 2014 on a sour note as they were beaten on penalties in the Italian Super Cup by Napoli, a result Bonucci is determined to banish from memory.

"To finish the year with a defeat was not good and we want to immediately make a strong start to 2015. I want to defend the jersey and bring my passion."

Juve resume their league campaign against Inter on Tuesday and face Dortmund in the first-leg of their last-16 Champions League encounter on February 24.

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ribery: Bayern can win it all

559451_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Jan 12, 2015 09:45:00

The Frenchman is full of ambition and is determined not to make the same mistakes that cost them in the Champions League last year

Franck Ribery believes Bayern Munich have learned from their mistakes from 2013-14 and have what it takes to win the treble again this season.

The Bavarians won the Bundesliga title in record time last term, followed by the DFB Pokal, but a seeming drop of intensity and motivation cost them later on when they were eliminated by Real Madrid in the semi-finals of the Champions League.

Ribery has insisted that they know where it all went wrong, though, and is confident they will not make the same errors this time around.

"It’ll be tough, but this team could win everything," the former France international was quoted as saying on the club's official website.

"There is always a lot of pressure at Bayern. We must always win. That's the way things are at Bayern. You always have to win titles," he continued to TZ.

"I think we have learned from what happened last year. We won the Bundesliga title quite early and a few players then got fewer game time and lost rhythm a bit. Maybe we took things a bit easier in training.

"If we win the title again at an early stage, we must keep going and maintain our rhythm. You cannot take things easy and then be back to your best when Real Madrid await. That's simply impossible. That happened last year, but we have learned from it."

Bayern are currently away on a training camp in Dubai as they prepare for their first Bundesliga game after the winter break against Wolfsburg on January 30.

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bayern want the treble again, says Ribery

572031_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Jan 19, 2015 11:47:00

The ex-France winger is confident the reigning German champions have what it takes to go all the way in three competitions again

Bayern Munich attacker Franck Ribery says the club are targeting a repeat of their treble success two seasons ago this term.

The Allianz Arena side won the Bundesliga, Champions League and DFB Pokal in 2013 under Jupp Heynckes and Ribery is desperate to do the same thing again with Pep Guardiola now in charge.

"I am dreaming of winning the treble again," Ribery was quoted as saying by Bild.

"I will never forget how I felt after winning it in 2012-13. It was like we were flying. It's a great feeling, it's utter madness. I definitely want to have that feeling again at some stage of my career."

Bayern missed out on the treble last term as Real Madrid proved to be too strong in the semi-finals of the Champions League, but Ribery says that defeat has helped improve the side.

"All the conditions are right to have another amazing season. The defeat against Real Madrid last term only made us stronger."

Bayern currently lead the Bundesliga table with 45 points from 17 games and hold an 11-point lead over second-placed Wolfsburg.

Pep Guardiola's men meet Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League round of 16, while Eintracht Braunschweig await in the DFB Pokal.

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti ranks Champions League win with AC Milan over Decima

836092_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Jan 19, 2015 23:52:00

The Real Madrid boss says his first European title as a head coach was a career highlight after being inducted into Italy's Hall of Fame

Carlo Ancelotti says winning the Champions League with AC Milan was the highlight of his coaching career, and not La Decima with Real Madrid.

The 55-year-old won his third European title as a coach last year as he guided Madrid to glory in Lisbon, bringing to an end their long wait for a 10th continental crown.

However, speaking to reporters as he was inducted into the Italian Football Hall of Fame, Ancelotti said his triumph with Milan in 2003 - when they edged out Juventus on penalties at Old Trafford - remains his fondest memory since retiring as a player.

"I've been very fortunate in my career, both as a player and as a coach. I got to play for Sacchi's Milan, and I've been really blessed as a manager, too," he said.

"If I had to single out one trophy it would be the Champions League I led Milan to against Juve in Manchester, because it was my first [Champions League as a coach]."

Ancelotti went on to describe the differences in working as a coach in the top leagues across Europe.

"Every league is different and so your experiences are different, too," he continued. "In England it's very fast-paced and people are shown a lot of respect.
The French league is very high-tempo and aggressive. Spain stands out for the love of good football, whereas I'd underline the defensive organisation and tactical know-how in Italy.

"I've had nothing but positive experiences."

Ancelotti was recognised at the ceremony in Florence, along with Diego Maradona, Fabio Cannavaro, retired referee Stefano Braschi and Juventus director Giuseppe Marotta.

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tevez wants Champions League glory with Juventus, says agent

832062_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Jan 20, 2015 09:30:00

The attacker's representative has stressed his main focus for now is winning silverware rather than discussing a contract renewal

Carlos Tevez dreams of winning the Champions League with Juventus but won't discuss a new contract for at least another 12 months, according to his agent.

The Argentina international's existing deal with the Serie A champions is due to expire in June 2016 and Tevez stressed earlier this week that he has yet to make a decision about his future.

His agent Kia Joorabchian has now added that the 30-year-old is focused on winning silverware for now and will consider his options at some stage next season.

"Carlos will deal with the contractual issue in a year or so and no sooner. We will see what happens then," Joorabchian told Tuttosport.

"He has told me that he wants to focus on winning the Scudetto again and the Champions League. He wants to win all competitions Juventus take part in.

"Tevez really wants to win it all during his time at Juventus. It is his dream to win the Champions League.

"He has told me that he is feeling very well in Turin and so is his family. He is feeling right at home at Juventus. The fans love him and that's important to him as well."

Tevez has been a key performer for Juventus this campaign, scoring 13 goals in 18 Serie A appearances.

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp: I don't care about Champions League

817752_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Jan 21, 2015 22:40:00

The Borussia Dortmund coach has admitted that his side's main aim is to avoid relegation from the Bundesliga and is confident they can do it

Jurgen Klopp says he is not interested in the Champions League, insisting Borussia Dortmund's main aim is to avoid relegation from the Bundesliga this season.

At the halfway mark, Dortmund sit joint bottom of the league, having taken 15 points from 17 games and sit an incredible 30 behind Bayern Munich.

Despite their awful domestic form, BVB strolled through to the second round of the Champions League, in which they will face Juventus.

However, Klopp insists he is not paying attention to Europe's most prestigious competition and is only targeting safety in the league.

"I'm not at all interested in the Champions League," Klopp told Bild.

"As things stand right now, I would have no problem just staying up and then being able to train a lot next season.

"If there are any of my players who would rather move somewhere else just because they will play one year without the Champions League, then clearly I've judged them completely wrong.

"We've got 17 games and we will do it. That's a hell of a lot.

"We've now been able to work on so many things that we had no time to go over even once in the summer.

"We weren't able to work tactically one single time because the lads first had to get into decent shape."

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Torres: We can stand up to Barca & Real Madrid in every competition

819122_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Jan 20, 2015 22:03:00

The Atletico Madrid striker admits he is relishing being part of the Vicente Calderon set-up again and says Diego Simeone will be wanted by many other clubs

Fernando Torres believes Atletico Madrid are capable of standing up to Barcelona and Real Madrid in every tournament this season.

The Liga champions, who broke the Clasico clubs' duopoly over the league title last season, beat their city rivals 4-2 on aggregate in the Copa del Rey to set up a meeting with Barca in the quarter-finals.

With their title defence and Champions League campaigns still very much on track, Torres feels his side have proven they are now a consistent threat to Spain's two biggest clubs.

"Thank God there's a third team in the form of Atletico, who have been able to beat them and who can stand up to them in every competition these days. We are a difficult team to beat," he told TVE ahead of Wednesday's first leg against Barcelona.

Barca beat Atleti 3-1 in a Liga clash earlier this month and Torres acknowledges Luis Enrique's side are hard to stop if they are allowed to play to their potential.

"When they are feeling good, when they feel comfortable and they are in their element, then they win their games, as they did against Deportivo," he said.

Torres admits he is relishing the chance to play for his boyhood club again but concedes head coach Diego Simeone is likely to be wanted by some of Europe's biggest clubs as long as Atleti continue to challenge for honours.

"I was made up the day that I was presented as an Atletico player. Until you're wearing that strip again, you don't realise how much you missed it," he added.

"He'll have offers. I'm sure he has had, he has, and he will have offers, whatever players he has and whatever shape the team is in."

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Morata: Juventus can win the treble

873822_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Jan 29, 2015 08:12:00

The Spanish striker feels the reigning Italian champions can win it all this term and also insists that he and Fernando Llorente can play in the same attack

Alvaro Morata believes Juventus have what it takes to win the treble this season, after sealing their place in the Coppa Italia semi-finals with a 1-0 win over Parma on Wednesday.

The former Real Madrid youngster scored the only goal of the game at the Ennio Tardini to send his side into the last four and and, with Massimiliano Allegri's men seven points clear at the top of Serie A and through to the last 16 of the Champions League, the striker is optimistic about the Old Lady's chances of making history.

"We want to win every competition we’re involved in and I think we’ve got what it takes to do so," Morata told RAI.

"We knew the match versus Parma wouldn’t be an easy game for us.

"But we were able to get the victory and that’s all that mattered."

Morata scored the winner after being set up by Fernando Llorente and he feels the goal proved that the Spanish duo can function alongside one another in attack.

"It’s a tactic we can use," he added. "We can play together and look to do our bit on a daily basis.

"It’s not about who plays. The most important thing is the team winning."

Juventus will meet either Roma or Fiorentina in the semi-finals of the Coppa Italia.

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bayern have a score to settle with Madrid, says Hitzfeld

431062_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Jan 30, 2015 08:34:00

The former FCB coach expects the German champions to be desperate for revenge if they meet the La Liga side in Europe after last season's heavy defeat

Ottmar Hitzfeld feels Bayern Munich have a score to settle with Real Madrid in the Champions League and has ruled out a repeat of the Bundesliga champions' semi-final defeat against the eventual winners last term.

Pep Guardiola's men were beaten 1-0 at the Santiago Bernabeu in the first leg, before Madrid cruised to a 4-0 victory in the return in Munich.

Hitzfeld - who coached Bayern between 1998 and 2004 and in 2007-08 - believes Bayern have learned from their mistakes, though, and expects them to be gunning for revenge if they were to meet again this season.

"Bayern are one of the main favourites to win the Champions League. But you can never rule out defeat against another world-class team. Football is simply too unpredictable," Hitzfeld told Munchner Merkur.

"But there will not be another 4-0 loss against Real Madrid. Bayern have a score to settle against Madrid and they want to get their revenge.

"Bayern have never been as strong as they are now."

The German champions will have to deal with Shakhtar Donetsk in the round of 16, with the first leg scheduled to take place on February 17 and the return at the Allianz Arena on March 11.

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Caballero: Manchester City do not fear Barcelona

838582_heroa.jpg

By Christopher Devine
Feb 7, 2015 21:23:00

The Catalan club defeated the Premier League champions 4-1 on aggregate in Europe's elite competition last season but the goalkeeper says he is not afraid this time around

Willy Caballero insists Manchester City do not fear Barcelona as the two sides prepare to clash in the Champions League.

Premier League champions City face Barca over two legs later this month, with a place in the quarter-finals of Europe's elite club competition at stake.

The Catalan club triumphed 4-1 on aggregate when the sides met at the same stage of the Champions League 12 months ago, with Lionel Messi and Dani Alves both scoring in each leg.

However, Caballero insists City have learned their lessons from that tie and also feels Barca are not the team they once were, highlighting recent negative press coverage in Spain as evidence of their decline.

The former Malaga keeper told Marca: "It'll be tough, as these games always are. City have learnt from last year and I hope we go into the first leg on top form.

"The aim is to play better than we did last time and reach the quarter-finals."

Asked if Barca's fear factor had disappeared, Caballero added: "I think so. Especially because of everything that is being said in Spain about Barcelona.

"The team isn't as strong as in recent years. That helps us and makes us feel stronger.

"Small things become crises at big clubs. They have to live with the fact that people speak about Barcelona all the time. I'm sure that not even 20% of what is said is true."

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Odegaard included in Madrid's Champions League squad

847932_heroa.jpg

By Jon Fisher
Feb 4, 2015 16:08:57

The 16-year-old has been named in the European title holders' squad and could become the youngest player in the history of the competition this month

Martin Odegaard's meteoric rise is set to continue after the Norwegian teenager was included in the Real Madrid squad for the knockout stages of this season's Champions League.

Clubs had until midnight on Tuesday to submit the 25 players they wanted to contest the final rounds of Europe's elite club competition.

Goal understands Odegaard has been included by the defending champions despite the plethora of options available to coach Carlo Ancelotti.

The 16-year-old was signed by Madrid last month from Stromsgodset, penning a three-and-a-half-year deal after opting for the Bernabeu following a tour of Europe's major clubs.

018080D385D1FE93E7FF80B32031B45D.jpg

He has been training predominantly with the Castilla squad since, under the watchful eye of coach Zinedine Zidane, although his ability has caught the eye of several of Madrid's big-name players, including Gareth Bale.

Odegaard, already a full Norway international, made his first appearance in a Blancos shirt earlier on Wednesday and impressed, playing a major part in two goals as Castilla drew 3-3 in a friendly with Beijing Guoan.

Should he play against Schalke in the last 16 he will become the youngest player to play in the Champions League, beating the current record held by Celestine Babayaro, who was 16 years and 87 days when he appeared for Anderlecht against Steaua Bucharest in 1994.

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Jovetic cut from Man City's Champions League squad as Bony comes in

800852_heroa.jpg

By Tom Maston
Feb 5, 2015 17:37:00

The Montenegro international will not be eligible to face Juventus following his omission with FFP restrictions limiting Manuel Pellegrini to a roster of 21 players

Manchester City have cut Stevan Jovetic from their updated Champions League squad in order to accommodate Wilfried Bony.

Bony joined the Blues from Swansea City in January, and with no member of the club's European squad from the group stage leaving during the transfer window, Manuel Pellegrini faced a decision as to whether to bring the Ivory Coast international in.

Financial Fair Play restrictions have left City with a squad of just 21 compared to the usual 25-man roster named by teams in Europe's elite club competition, and that means Jovetic misses out on a chance to play in the knockout stages.

The Montenegro international featured in each of City's group matches as they reached the last-16 alongside Bayern Munich but will now not be eligible to face Barcelona in the second round.

The Premier League champions received a bid from Juventus for the forward during the January transfer window, but while a move did not materialise, this omission casts further doubt on his future at the Etihad Stadium.

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Koeman: Manchester City not good enough to beat Barcelona

906752_heroa.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Feb 10, 2015 10:10:44

The Dutchman has little doubt the Camp Nou side will progress in the Champions League and thinks they can go all the way in three competitions

Former Barcelona defender Ronald Koeman is confident the Catalans will prove to be too strong for Manchester City in the Champions League.

Luis Enrique's men will have to deal with the reigning Premier League champions in the round of 16 and the Southampton manager has little doubt they will progress to the quarter-finals.

"Barcelona are better than the current Manchester City," Koeman was quoted as saying by Sport.

"Plus Barcelona have the advantage of playing the second leg at home.

"Barcelona are always the favourites because they play the same regardless of whether they are playing at home or away. They never set out to defend or frustrate opponents' style of play.

"City have a lot of quality and have been competing very well, but I do not believe that they can overcome Barcelona."

Koeman then went on to stress that Barcelona have impressed him in recent weeks before adding that they are definitely not in crisis.

"I have seen Barcelona play a number of times and I loved their performances against Atletico Madrid. They impressed me from start to finish. They were very intense, moved the ball around quickly, put pressure on their opponents' defence and were able to combine to perfection.

"They were said to be in crisis not too long ago, but they are back again. You go through good and bad periods during a season, but they can go far in every competition they take part in if they keep up their current form."

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Zidane: Neuer is a phenomenon but Ronaldo is an alien

862872_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Feb 8, 2015 13:58:00

The former France star paid tribute to both 2014 Ballon d'Or contenders and warned Real Madrid not to take Schalke lightly in the Champions League

Zinedine Zidane has described Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo as "an alien" and claims he is unique in world football.

Ronaldo claimed the 2014 Ballon d'Or ahead of Lionel Messi and Manuel Neuer in January following his exceptional scoring standards throughout the calendar year, though a dip in form and a red card against Cordoba have marred the last few weeks for the Portugal star.

However, while he acknowledges that Neuer has transformed the way modern goalkeepers operate, Zidane is in no doubt that Ronaldo fully deserved the prize.

"Neuer is a fantastic player, who lifted the keeper's game to a new level," he told Welt am Sonntag. "He is a phenomenon between the posts.

"But at the same time, Ronaldo is from a different planet. He is like an alien. What he does is unique."

Real Madrid take on Schalke in the Champions League last-16 first leg on February 18 and Zidane has warned the Liga leaders not to take Roberto Di Matteo's side lightly.

"I would love to say Schalke have no chance and Real are already safely in the quarter-finals," said the Castilla coach. "But, especially in the knockout stage, anything can happen.

"In two matches there is always a chance the underdog will rise. You have to be careful, especially against a German team."

Zidane also paid tribute to Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola for the improvements he has made to the German champions' style, and admits a Champions League final between Madrid and Bayern would be the "logical" expectation.

"He has that special something," he said of Guardiola. "With him, Bayern reached the absolute top class. He gave them a boost and brought his own touch to Bayern's game. That makes the difference.

"[Bayern vs Real] would be the logical final, but logic has no place in football. From a certain level onwards there are no small clubs anymore, and that goes for the Champions League, too. No victory is easy there, those days are long one."

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benatia: I learn something new from Guardiola every day

720132_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Feb 12, 2015 08:55:16

The defender is enjoying life under the successful coach and believes Bayern have what it take to win both the Bundesliga and Champions League

Bayern Munich defender Medhi Benatia is delighted to be working with head coach Pep Guardiola, saying that he learns something new from the Spanish coach every day.

The 27-year-old joined Bayern from Roma ahead of the 2014-15 campaign and he has hailed Guardiola's role in the progress he has made since his transfer.

"It is fascinating to work with Guardiola," the defender said when answering questions from fans via the official Champions League Twitter account.

"Every day you learn something new. Many believe there is nothing more a Bayern player can learn but it's not the case with a coach like him.

"It's a great pleasure."

The Morocco international then went on to discuss his side's chances of winning silverware and he's confident Bayern can make an impact both domestically and in Europe.

"We can certainly win the Champions League and the Bundesliga this season.

"We have to improve and believe in what we're doing. The entire team are focused on achieving our objectives."

Benatia also answered questions about his most difficult opponent so far in his career and the centre-back admitted that Paris Saint-Germain striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic is the one who troubled him the most.

"Ibrahimovic was my toughest opponent. He is the complete player who has caused me lots of trouble.

"He's a great player who can create problems for any team."

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

PSG quartet ruled out of Chelsea clash

949612_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Feb 14, 2015 19:29:19

Yohan Cabaye, Marquinhos, Serge Aurier and Lucas were all forced off in Saturday's 2-2 draw with Caen at the Parc des Princes

Yohan Cabaye, Marquinhos, Serge Aurier and Lucas have all been ruled out of Paris Saint-Germain's Champions League last-16 first-leg clash with Chelsea through injury.

All four players were forced off in Saturday's Ligue 1 clash with Caen at the Parc des Princes, while Blaise Matuidi also picked up a minor knock to his knee as the French titleholders finished with just nine men on the field.

Midfielder Cabaye had to be taken off just 16 minutes in with a suspected groin strain, while centre-half Marquinhos was replaced by David Luiz during the interval due to a thigh problem.

Matuidi made way for Gregory van der Wiel midway through the second half as the hosts made their final substitution, before both Aurier and Lucas were forced off with muscular problems in the closing stages.

PSG were leading 2-0 when they were reduced to nine men, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Ezequiel Lavezzi both having netted in the first half, but they capitulated in the closing stages, with Emiliano Sala and Herve Bazile snatching an unlikely point for Caen, which scuppered the home side's hopes of usurping Olympique Lyonnais at the top of Ligue 1.

"We have four players (Marquinhos, Cabaye, Aurier and Lucas) that will certainly absent against Chelsea," PSG coach Laurent Blanc confirmed. "Matuidi is less of a concern.

"It's a very hard scenario to accept, especially in terms of the score and the injured players. During that that game, apart from the first 20 minutes, we were in trouble all the time because of these injuries."

The injuries represent a massive blow for Blanc, who was already sweating on the fitness of attacking midfielder Javier Pastore ahead of the visit of Chelsea.

However, the PSG boss is hoping that adversity will bring the best out of his side.

"Psychologically, what happened today will play a part [in the Chelsea game] but we just had a lot of bad luck," he added.

"So, perhaps this [scenario] will motivate us. We have also seen how the public got behind us today and that's very important. So, we can take some positives out of the situation.

"Against Chelsea, we may be weakened, but what is certain is that we will play boldly, even if we do have fewer options because of the injuries."

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini has killed me - Jovetic

918702_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Feb 15, 2015 11:43:00

The Montenegro international has been replaced by January signing Wilfried Bony in the Chilean's Champions League squad, and he has hit out at his manager

Stevan Jovetic has hit out at Manuel Pellegrini after he was left out of Manchester City’s Champions League squad, insisting that the decision has “killed” him.

The Montenegrin striker looked set to be offloaded in January following the €38 million arrival of Wilfried Bony from Swansea City, with Juventus and several other Serie A clubs expressing an interest in signing him.

No deal materialised, however, and he was subsequently replaced by Bony in Pellegrini’s squad for Europe’s elite club competition – which has been restricted to just 21 players by Uefa as punishment for City breaching Financial Fair Play regulations.

“I deserve to play in the Champions League. I know that,” Jovetic told the Sunday Mirror.

"The manager has killed me with this decision. I feel I deserve my place and other people have told me the same.

“People have told me I am a great player, but it is clear that the manager doesn’t think the same way.

“I am very disappointed, even now. I don’t think it was a good decision – or the right decision.

“I know that I deserve to be on the list. I told the manager this, but he didn’t want to listen to me. I came here to play in the Champions League.”

Pellegrini insists Jovetic still has a future at the Etihad Stadium, but the 25-year-old claims he is currently assessing his future ahead of the summer transfer window.

“I have not made any decision about my future. I will wait until the summer then we will see,” he added.

"But the manager has put other players ahead of me, so maybe this is a message about what he wants to do."

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luiz: Ibrahimovic told me to leave Chelsea

930072_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Feb 15, 2015 10:03:55

The Brazilian has revealed how his team-mate approached him during a game last season in an attempt to convince him to move to Paris

David Luiz has revealed Zlatan Ibrahimovic told him to leave Chelsea for Paris Saint-Germain during last season's Champions League clash between the two sides.

The pair met in the first leg of the quarter-finals last season, during which the striker approached the Brazil defender and urged him to quit the Blues for the French capital.

Ibrahimovic came off injured in the second half of that game, which PSG won 3-1, before Chelsea's 2-0 second leg win sent them through to the semi-finals on away goals.

Luiz subsequently decided to swap London for Paris and joined the Ligue 1 champions for a reported €60 million last summer and he has now admitted his team-mate played a key role in his decision.

"There are two Zlatans: one the media portrays and then the real one," the versatile defender is quoted as saying by the Daily Mail. "He was one of the big reasons that I chose to join Paris.

"When Chelsea played Paris he said to me during the game,' you need to come and play with us next season.'

"He is one of the best players in the world, and a great guy."

David Luiz is now hoping Ibrahimovic can help shoot down his former club when the two sides meet again in the last 16 of this season's Champions League, with PSG set to host Chelsea on Tuesday night.

However, the centre-back insists he harbours no ill feeling towards his former boss Jose Mourinho, despite the coach's claim earlier this season that his side are better off without him.

"Mourinho and I have a mutual respect and I will shake his hand," he added.

"Of course Mourinho knows Zlatan well from Inter and will have a plan to try and stop him, but when Zlatan is on form he is unstoppable."

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Diego Costa: Ibrahimovic one of best strikers in history

861712_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Feb 14, 2015 13:22:02

The Chelsea attacker lauded his PSG counterpart, whom he will face in the Champions League, and compared Jose Mourinho and Diego Simeone

Diego Costa has branded Zlatan Ibrahimovic one of the "best strikers in football history" ahead of Chelsea 's visit to Paris Saint-Germain on Tuesday.

Jose Mourinho's men were drawn against the Ligue 1 title holders in the last 16 of the Champions League, whom they defeated in the quarter-final stage in 2013-14.

Costa subsequently helped knock Chelsea out of Europe with Atletico Madrid before swapping the Vicente Calderon for Stamford Bridge at the start of the current campaign.

Ahead of the first leg at the Parc des Princes in midweek, the Spanish striker labelled Ibrahimovic as the player most likely to top Chelsea's European quest this term.

"Zlatan is a beast," he told British magazine Sport. "He is one of those players that I like because of his character and his quality.

"He is among the best strikers in football history. We all know how hard it is going to be playing against PSG. Most of their footballers play at international level. If we want to progress, we must do very well in both legs."

Costa also explained the differences between current manager Jose Mourinho and former boss Diego Simeone who - despite being similar in their desire for victory - are very different in their tactical approach.

"Mourinho and Simeone have plenty of things in common, such as the passion for the game or the levels of commitment they demand from players," the Spain international added.

"They ask the player to give everything he has inside. However, when it comes to tactics, Mourinho and Simeone have a different vision of the game.

"I've learnt many things from Mourinho. We all know that he’s among the best managers in the world. When you arrive in a team with a manager like him, you try to spot every single thing you can learn from him.

"Every manager has a different way of reading the game. In regards to Jose Mourinho, he is a clever manager who spots very well the opponent’s virtues and weaknesses. Our training sessions are based on that."

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Al Khelaifi pleads: Fans must get behind PSG vs Chelsea

406214_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Feb 15, 2015 13:32:17

Zlatan Ibrahimovic recently slammed the supporters for their sense of entitlement but the Qatari says they will need their support on Tuesday

Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al Khelaifi has called on the club's fans to get behind their team ahead of Tuesday's Champions League showdown with Chelsea.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic lashed out at the Ligue 1 champions' supporters after he and his team-mates were whistled during last month's 1-0 home win over Rennes, suggesting that some of the Parc des Princes faithful were spoilt and had grown accustomed to "eating caviar" before coming to the ground.

The Swede defiantly bared his chest to the crowd after opening the scoring during Saturday's clash with Caen but PSG's players once again went home deflated after blowing a two-goal lead in the closing stages to draw 2-2, thus missing the chance to go top of the table.

Al Khelaifi, though, has pointed out that there were significant mitigating circumstances, with the French champions having suffered five injuries during the game, resulting in Laurent Blanc's side ending with just nine players on the field.

Consequently, the PSG president is now trying to rally the Parc des Princes crowd ahead of the visit of Chelsea for the first leg of their Champions League last-16 clash.

"Caen was a very difficult match for us, but the players showed great spirit and fight, right up until the final whistle," he is quoted as saying by the club's official website.

"We will be ready for Tuesday's Champions League match against Chelsea and we will need all our supporters to be 100 per cent behind the team."

PSG defeated Chelsea 3-1 at the Parc des Princes in the quarter-finals of last year's tournament only to ultimately bow out on away goals after losing 2-0 in the second leg at Stamford Bridge.