• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ UEFA Champions League 2014-15 ☆

Philipp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lahm: Barcelona the team to beat

philipp-lahm-bayern-munich-borussia-dortmund-bundesliga-04042015_etpfkyi9lmew185gc0q9zar11.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Apr 24, 2015 12:01:06

The former German has singled out the Catalans - whom they have drawn in the semi-finals - as the standout team in the Champions League

Philipp Lahm believes Bayern Munich have drawn "the team to beat" in the Champions League by being pitted against Barcelona in the semi-finals.

The Bundesliga champions beat Porto 7-4 on aggregate in the quarter-finals of the competition to make it to the final four and Lahm is desperate to make it to the final in Berlin and emerge victorious - even though it means knocking out Pep Guardiola's former club.

"At the moment, it looks like Barcelona are the team to beat," the Bayern skipper was quoted as saying by TZ.

"They have some great players and have impressed so far. They concede very few goals and score plenty of goals...

"But when you make it to the semi-finals, you want to reach the final as well.

"Our experience from previous semi-finals has taught us that it will not be easy.

"We have a history against Barcelona. We keep meeting each other time and time again in the Champions League."

The winner of Bayern and Barca's semi-final will face either Real Madrid or Juventus in the final in Berlin on June 6.

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Beckenbauer: Bayern are underdogs against Barcelona

franz-beckenbauer_csqp9cs11m9n153j6lggyd9zc.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Apr 24, 2015 12:33:40

The Germany icon feels the Bundesliga champions will go into the game as underdogs, whereas Matthias Sammer expects an even tie

Bayern Munich honorary president Franz Beckenbauer believes his side are the underdogs in the Champions League semi-final against Barcelona.

The Bundesliga champions impressed on Tuesday with a 6-1 win over Porto in the second leg of their quarter-final tie, ensuring a 7-4 aggregate triumph.

Yet the Bayern legend is even more impressed by the Catalans, who saw off Paris Saint-Germain with ease in the quarter-finals.

"Barcelona are the favourites for me," Beckenbauer told reporters. "It's not that Bayern do not stand a chance, but they are not the favourites."

Sporting director Matthias Sammer, on the other hand, thinks it will prove to be an even tie where both sides have as much chance as each other to make it to the final in Berlin.

"I am really looking forward to it. I think it's a 50-50 tie," he said. "Both sides have an attack that's among the best in the world. Barcelona have some superb players, but so do Bayern.

"It's all about focusing on our own strengths. Guardiola's return to Camp Nou? Coaches are always the centre of attention, but they are not the ones taking to the pitch.

"There is nothing better in football than big games like this."

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique excited by Pep's 'special' return to Barcelona

luis-enrique-barcelona-09122014_xgvwi3i42spn15o50bofgdt7k.jpg

Apr 24, 2015 12:53:55

The former Camp Nou team-mates will face off in May with a place in the Champions League final at stake

Luis Enrique acknowledged Pep Guardiola ’s return to Barcelona will be a special occasion but batted away talk of his side being unlucky in Friday’s Champions League draw.

Barca were paired with Bayern Munich in next month's semi-finals, meaning Guardiola will make an emotional first return to Camp Nou in charge of the German side.

"It’s special as it’s the first time Pep will face Barca. He will face his former players too," Luis Enrique told reporters.

Many of the current Barca squad were mainstays of the team which Guardiola led to two Champions League titles, three La Ligas and two Club World Cups in a glittering four-year spell which ended in 2012.

Although Guardiola could guide Bayern to the Bundesliga title this weekend - his second in as many seasons - there remain critics of his work at the Allianz Arena.

The last-four clash will, therefore, be an interesting gauge of the progress he has made since moving to Germany.

A0AA0B829A41DE22C9007B3A6159AAAB.jpg

"Bayern aspire to the same as us and have the best coach," added Luis Enrique, who denied his side had been unfortunate in drawing Bayern.

"I always think after the draw of the bad luck for whoever has been drawn to play against Barcelona.

"I don’t care about playing the first leg at home or away. We will go out to win both games.

"Now I am just interested in the three La Liga games before the semi-finals."

The first of those comes on Saturday when table-toppers Barca take on city rivals Espanyol.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pogba could return for Madrid showdown - Allegri

paul-pogba-cropped_1qm5cs4pendic1o1vifilt18qi.jpg

By Christopher Devine
Apr 25, 2015 15:35:19

The Bianconeri coach is hopeful the France international could recover from a hamstring injury in time to for the second leg of their Champions League semi-final

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri is hopeful that Paul Pogba will be available for the second leg of their Champions League semi-final at Real Madrid.

The midfielder has been out of action since mid-March having suffered a hamstring injury in the second leg of his club's last-16 tie with Borussia Dortmund.

The France international will miss the next few games but Allegri believes he could recover on time for the meeting at the Santiago Bernabeu on May 13.

"We are doing everything possible to have him back for the second leg of the semi-final," he said at a press conference ahead of Sunday's match against Torino.

"We'll be playing against the European champions, a galactic team."

Victory over Torino will put the Serie A holders on the brink of a fourth successive title - and a first under Allegri, who revealed Patrice Evra will not be available on Sunday.

"It's difficult to play against Torino, we can't underestimate this one at all," added the former AC Milan coach.

"Torino are a well-organised side with good players.

"Six more points are required to mathematically win the title. Tomorrow will be a very tough game.

"I've got everyone available bar Evra. I'll work out my best starting XI after Saturday's session."

Ancelotti

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti: Modric out of Juve clash, Bale & Benzema could return

bale-cristiano-ronaldo-benzema-bbc-real-madrid-22022015_1vutymcae87mo1x3d0isekgxla.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Apr 25, 2015 12:42:24

The Real Madrid coach concedes he will have to do without the Croatian for the Champions League semi-finals but hopes to reunite his BBC forward-line

Carlo Ancelotti hopes injured duo Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema will recover in time for the first leg of Real Madrid's Champions League clash with Juventus on May 5, but concedes Luka Modric will likely miss both games.

All three were absent as Madrid progressed at the expense of city rivals Atletico Madrid in the quarter-finals on Wednesday, with Modric and Benzema missing due to knee injuries, while Bale was struggling with a calf problem.

However, Ancelotti says two of his lethal frontline are likely to feature as they look to compete for La Liga and European glory.

"I do not think Modric will play at the semi-finals. Perhaps he will return for the final league game against Getafe," the Italian said.

"Benzema could be back in time for the first leg against Juventus and Gareth Bale in time for the game with Sevilla on May 2."

Ancelotti opted to play Sergio Ramos in midfield during Wednesday's 1-0 win over Atleti, with Isco enjoying a rare start alongside him.

Javier Hernandez seized a rare opportunity amid Real's injury crisis by scoring the winner and Ancelotti has urged other fringe players to follow the Mexican's example.

Asked about the unhappiness of certain players in his squad, Ancelotti added: "Isco, Nacho, Hernandez - this is normal in football. Players want to play.

"The good thing is, Isco's unhappy but when he plays he plays well. They train hard and play hard when picked.

"Hernandez has been very professional, as have all the players who haven't played regularly.

"It's healthy for the squad to have players who work hard and want to play.

"Hernandez is a great example, showing his team and team-mates who has worked very hard and made the most of his opportunity."

Real Madrid, who vist Celta Vigo on Sunday, sit two points behind Barcelona at the top of the table ahead of this weekend's Liga fixtures.

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona vs Bayern a gift to football, says Bartomeu

josep-maria-bartomeu-barcelona-press-conference_177qt74cxwq1a19km6kljphilo.jpg

Josep Maria Bartomeu Barcelona Press Conference

Apr 25, 2015 08:07:00

The Barcelona president says the fans are in for a treat when the club welcome former coach Pep Guardiola back to Camp Nou in May

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu says his club’s Champions League semi-final with Bayern Munich will be a great gift to the game.

The Spanish giants avoided domestic rivals Real Madrid in Friday’s draw for the last four and will welcome former coach Pep Guardiola back to Camp Nou.

And Bartomeu says fans are in store for something special when the two sides clash next month.

“It is an honour for Barcelona to play their eighth Champions League semi-final in 10 years,” he told reporters.

“It’s a footballing gift to our fans and satisfying to be able to do it against Bayern and Pep Guardiola, who present a great challenge.”

Barca host Bayern in the first leg on May 6 before heading to Allianz Arena for the return on May 12.

They sit two points clear of Madrid at the top of la Liga ahead of Saturday’s derby with Espanyol and Bartomeu went on to stress the importance of focusing on the task at hand.

“As stated by our coach Luis Enrique, before Bayern we are confronted by three crucial league games against Espanyol, Getafe and Cordoba,” he said.

“We have to support our players and remain optimistic. Now more than ever we need to be a team."

Guardiola guided Barca to three league titles and two Champions League crowns as coach between 2008 and 2012.

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona are at Bayern's level - Ter Stegen

marc-andre-ter-stegen-barcelona-ajax-uefa-champions-league-10212014_qpn00y797m1n1htcpp50q5sf1.jpg

Alec Fenn
Apr 26, 2015 22:10:18

The two sides will face one another in the Champions League semi-finals and the goalkeeper is confident his team have what it takes to win the tie

Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen is convinced his side are at the same level as Bayern Munich after the two sides were paired together in the Champions League semi-final draw.

The Catalans saw off Paris Saint-Germain in the quarter-finals, while the newly-crowned Bundesliga champions beat Porto in their tie to set up a mouthwatering last four clash.

Ter Stegen is more than familiar with Bayern having faced them on several occasions during his time with Borussia Monchengladbach before joining Barca last summer and is expecting a tight contest.

"It will be a great duel," he told Bild. "We have a great team, are in top shape and will try to raise our game.

"We know Bayern have a lot of quality. I look forward to the reunion, it will be a close tie and I hope we can prevail in the end."

Ter Stegen is yet to make a league appearance for Barcelona this season but has featured in 10 Champions League games - including both legs of the quarter-final win over PSG - and will hope to retain his place for the remainder of the competition.

The tie has added intrigue with Bayern boss Pep Guardiola facing former club Barcelona for the first time since leaving Camp Nou in 2012 after four success-laden years in charge.

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bartomeu: I hope Guardiola gets the reception he deserves

pep-guardiola_m6at1hims5m01oa19n01gcxvb.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 26, 2015 11:26:43

The Camp Nou chief is looking forward to the Champions League semi-final but insists the team's focus is solely on La Liga for now

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu says he hopes Pep Guardiola gets the reception he deserves when he returns to Camp Nou.

Guardiola will take his Bayern Munich side back to his old home in the Champions League semi-finals, marking his first visit to Catalunya since he stepped down as head coach in 2012.

"The three teams
are very good," Bartomeu said to Canal Plus. "We know Bayern well; Pep is there, a man of this house. We hope he receives the reception he deserves."

For now, however, Bartomeu insists Luis Enrique's side must be fully focused on La Liga following their 2-0 win over local rivals Espanyol on Saturday.

"For now, we're just thinking about the league," he said.

"Espanyol are a strong rival. Our first half was very good and the second more about maturity, controlling the play.

"They had chances and so did we. We leave very happy.

"I'm looking to Getafe, that's the only game I see. We have to maintain this gap to Real Madrid."

Jordi Alba received a red card for two quick-fire bookings in Saturday's game, prompting a furious response from the full-back and team-mate Sergio Busquets.

Bartomeu, however, said the club would not publicly criticise the official.

"We sent a message of maturity," he added. "I don't know what happened between Mateu [Lahoz] and Jordi Alba. They were far away, they had some words. We're not going to criticise referees."

Alaba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Blanc: PSG have put Barcelona lesson behind them

paris-sg-lille-ligue-1-25042015_19e9nmmij4ria14z06ol06bhgl.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic
Apr 26, 2015 08:26:39

The former defender was thrilled to see his side smash six past Lille on Saturday and warns they must now be ready for a "sprint finish" to the season

Paris Saint-Germain coach Laurent Blanc believes his players proved they had put their Champions League exit behind them on Saturday.

Ezequiel Lavezzi netted a hat-trick as the Ligue 1 leaders thrashed Lille 6-1 at the Parc des Princes, just days after being eliminated by Barcelona in Europe.

Blanc believes his players have shown their powers of recovery and says they must now prepare for a "sprint finish" to the league season.

"It was very important to show tonight that we had overcome the Champions League elimination. We did that," he said.

"It's the sprint finish now, and we need to win as many matches as possible, especially at home.

"We were very wary of this Lille side, but scoring two goals inside the opening five minutes did us the world of good. Congratulations to my players for their match."

Blanc's men are three points clear of Lyon, who travel to Reims on Sunday looking to reclaim top spot.

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola: Bayern won't suffer Champions League slump this season

pep-guardiola_1gpj6pkkeqvsh1502y49gc5hui.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Apr 27, 2015 15:59:56

The Catalan says he erred by concentrating solely on Europe after the Bavarians were crowned champions of Germany with seven games to spare last season

Pep Guardiola insists that Bayern Munich will not suffer another Champions League slump after wrapping up the Bundesliga title at the weekend.

The Bavarians were crowned champions of Germany with a record seven games to spare last season, a feat which appeared to leave them wonderfully placed to successfully defend their European crown.

However, Bayern suffered a bizarre dip in form after clinching their domestic title at the tail end of March, making hard work of a poor Manchester United side in the Champions League quarter-finals before then being sensationally routed 5-0 on aggregate by eventual winners Real Madrid in the semis.

Guardiola considers the beating his side took at the hands of the Blancos the low point of his coaching career to date and he is adamant that history will not repeat itself this term, with Bayern now bracing themselves for a monumental last-four showdown with another Liga powerhouse, Barcelona.

"We won't struggle this year," he told reporters on Monday. "We have big opponents coming and we have big continuity.

"This year is completely different to last year. Last year I was only focused on the Champions League."

Indeed, Guardiola says that he is treating every single game Bayern have left with the utmost respect, starting with Tuesday's DFB-Pokal semi-final against Borussia Dortmund.

"I know how strong they are," the Catalan stated. "It will be very, very, very difficult.

"They always play with high aggression and this is a quality of Jurgen Klopp's teams.

"In Dortmund (earlier this month, when Bayern won 1-0) they were better than us.

"We struggled, but we won because Lewy (Robert Lewandowski) and Thomas (Muller) were superb. But the game was always tight."

Guardiola's future remains a topic of discussion at every press conference but the former Barcelona boss, who only has one year left on his Bayern deal, says that he is more concerned with getting all of his players fit again than his next career move.

"I am very happy with my time in Munich," he added. "I am surprised by and thankful for these players.

"I just hope that next year I will have more fit and less injured players.

"Javi Martinez was injured for nine months but his enthusiasm is huge and he can now help us by playing some minutes.

"Bernat is feeling better. He had some problems, but I hope that he will play against Dortmund.

"We need Arjen (Robben) back but he was injured for five weeks, so we cannot rush him.

"But if Arjen is convinced in his head, his legs will not be a problem."

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lewandowski & Robben injuries make Barcelona favourites - Alonso

xabi-alonso-manchester-city-bayern-munich-11252014_771nucp4ojzd1w2ba4uzmndfk.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 29, 2015 15:33:12

The midfielder admits the mood in the Bayern camp "could be better" but is determined to put their damaging semi-final loss to Borussia Dortmund behind them quickly

Xabi Alonso has claimed the loss of Robert Lewandowski and Arjen Robben has made Barcelona the favourites for the Champions League semi-final.

Bayern Munich's season took a huge hit on Tuesday when they were beaten by Borussia Dortmund in the DFB-Pokal semi-finals and saw both Robben and Lewandowski succumb to injuries.

The Netherlands international lasted just 16 minutes upon his return to action before sustaining a torn calf muscle, which will keep him out for the rest of the season, while the Poland striker suffered a broken jaw and nose.

Lewandowski says he still hopes to be fit to face Barcelona next week, with Alonso conceding the tie could have swung in Luis Enrique's side's favour following the latest fitness blow to hit Bayern.

"Without Lewandowski and Robben, Barca are the bigger favourites," he was quoted as saying by Marca following Bayern's training session. "But it's fine to say that - you have to prove it on the pitch."

Alonso says the penalty shoot-out loss to Dortmund has damaged the team's confidence but insists the newly-crowned Bundesliga champions must look to their league clash with Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday in order to restore belief.

"It's football and these things happen. We wanted to reach the final and we faced a great rival. When it came to penalties, we took them the worst," said the former Real Madrid man.

"The mood could be better, but bit by bit we're going to get it back because we know that we have a great challenge ahead and from tomorrow we have to think about the league. Even though we are champions, we have to do things well, and then we can think about the Champions League game on Wednesday."

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rummenigge: I am convinced Lewandowski will play against Barcelona

robert-lewandowski-neven-subotic-borussia-dortmund-fc-bayern-bundesliga-04042015_7xi18kc53phh1mqvv0ojl3nkk.jpg

By Robin Bairner
Apr 29, 2015 19:48:44

The striker suffered a number of broken bones against Dortmund but will play against the Catalans thanks to a mask, while Franck Ribery may be back too

Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has indicated that he believes striker Robert Lewandowski will be able to play in the Champions League against Barcelona.

The Poland star was injured in a clash with Borussia Dortmund goalkeeper Mitch Langerak in the DFB-Pokal defeat at the Allianz Arena on Tuesday. He has since been diagnosed with a broken upper jaw and nose, not to mention concussion.

As a result, it had been expected that he would miss next month's semi-final matches against the Liga leaders, yet Rummenigge is optimistic that the 26-year-old, who famously scored four goals in the semi-final first leg against Real Madrid two seasons ago, will be able to feature.

Asked if Lewandowski will play against Barcelona on Wednesday, Rummenigge told B5 Aktuell: “That will be the case - I am pretty convinced of it. He will have an individual mask made and that should ensure he will play against Barcelona.”

While Arjen Robben has been ruled out for the rest of the season, the CEO revealed that Franck Ribery may be able to play some part in next week's first-leg clash with Barca.

“Our hope is that he can at least make the squad on Wednesday," Rummenigge added. "Our doctors are working day and night to make this possible.”

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Torres: Atletico Madrid a step closer to the Champions League

1312072_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 30, 2015 00:45:00

The striker was delighted to score the winner against Villarreal and accepts it was a tough game for Diego Simeone's side

Fernando Torres believes he has taken Atletico Madrid a step closer to a return to the Champions League after scoring the winning goal against Villarreal on Wednesday.

The former Liverpool star capitalised on a mistake from Eric Bailly on 74 minutes to score the only goal of the game at El Madrigal, after coming on as a substitute midway through the second half.

With the champions now seven points ahead of fifth-placed Valencia - having played a game more - Torres is confident that Atleti will qualify for Europe's top tournament again.

"Today, we had a lot of the ball but we didn't create chances and they seemed comfortable," the striker said to Canal Plus after the match.

"It was a close game that could have gone either way, but you cannot say the result is unfair.

"The goal means our objective for next season is much closer. It's important to qualify for next season's Champions League. The sooner, the better.

"You always want to contribute more. We all have to demand more from ourselves."

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Llorente: Juventus can shock Real Madrid

fernando-llorente-juventus-fiorentina-serie-a_zsyc7cmr807v1ftwt9mkhp6ev.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Apr 30, 2015 09:48:35

The Spanish attacker is confident the Serie A champions can cause an upset and was delighted with his goal in the 3-2 win over Fiorentina on Wednesday

Fernando Llorente believes Juventus have what it takes to spring a surprise against Real Madrid in the semi-finals of the Champions League.

The Serie A champions last made it to the final of the competition in 2002-03, when they were beaten by AC Milan on penalties, and Llorente has set his sights on shocking Madrid.

"We will need a perfect performance against Real Madrid in the Champions League," Llorente told reporters.

"I am confident that we are more than capable of causing them a few problems, though."

Llorente featured from the start in Juventus' 3-2 win over Fiorentina on Wednesday for the first time since the 1-0 loss against Parma on April 11.

He scored once as Massimiliano Allegri's men edged one step closer to the Serie A title and was delighted with his return to the starting XI.

"I hadn't played in a while and Wednesday's goal was important for me.

"We were four points off the title, now it's just one. We'll look to wrap it up as soon as possible and then we'll think about the Champions League.

"Could I start against Madrid? I scored last year against them, but the coach has many options. I'm ready to give my all if I get the nod."

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bayern do not need Robben to beat Barcelona - Friedrich

arnefriedrich-cropped_151f9uanwjc0t185n7rzsh0ls1.jpg

Dejan Kalinic
Apr 30, 2015 10:18:50

The winger will miss the rest of the season with a calf injury, but the ex-Germany defender believes his side can still thrive in his absence

Former Germany international Arne Friedrich believes Bayern Munich do not need Arjen Robben to beat Barcelona in the semi-finals of the Champions League.

The Netherlands international is out for the rest of the season with a torn calf suffered during Bayern's defeat to Borussia Dortmund in the DFB Pokal semi-final on Tuesday.

Furthermore, Robert Lewandowski is also in doubt for the first leg against Barcelona on May 6 after suffering a broken nose and jaw in the same game.

Despite that, however, Friedrich - capped 82 times by Germany - believes Bayern will advance.

"Robben is hurt and I think he's a very important player. He would have helped Bayern certainly," he told reporters.

"But I also think Bayern will get through. German teams have always managed to eliminate individualists.

"Bayern have so much quality and the team is very unified. Therefore, I believe that Bayern will reach the final."

Bayern and Barcelona last met in the Champions League in 2012-13, when the Bundesliga giants recorded a 7-0 aggregate win before going on to win the competition.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'd rather win the Champions League than La Liga - Casillas

casillas_mzpmm645ggxh1nua0c990gy83.jpg

By Ben Hayward in Madrid
Apr 30, 2015 15:21:17

The 33-year-old said that, given the choice, he would prefer to win the European trophy and claimed it is easier because "we depend on ourselves"

Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas says he would rather win the Champions League than La Liga this season.

Madrid meet Juventus in the semi-finals of Europe's premier club competition, starting with Tuesday's first leg in Turin, while they trail Barcelona by two points in the Primera Division with five rounds remaining.

Carlo Ancelotti's men will be the first team to retain the Champions League title in its current format should they reach and win the final in Berlin in June and the 33-year-old says he would rather do that than win a first league crown in three years.

"In La Liga we don't depend on ourselves and in Europe we do," Casillas said at an event organised by Hyundai in Madrid on Thursday. "So I would pick the Champions League.

"The boss said it the other day. It's easier, within reason, to win the Champions League. We have a greater opportunity to compete on our own merit. The four semi-finalists have a 25 per cent chance. We depend on ourselves."

And Casillas, who has won the competition three times with Madrid, added: "The Madrid fans are very keen on the Champions League. Winning the European Cup twice in a row has never been achieved in the modern day. It's an exciting challenge."

Before facing Juve next week, Madrid face a tough trip to Sevilla in La Liga, with Unai Emery's on-form side unbeaten at the Sanchez Pizjuan in over a year.

"They are very strong at home," Casillas said. "They are in the semi-finals of the Europa League and fighting to qualify for the Champions League. It will be a very special game for the spectators. Let's hope we can win the three points.

"Our objective is to make things difficult for Barcelona. Winning the three points in Seville would give us the hope to keep on fighting."

Asked to choose a special memory from his career which includes an array of trophies with Madrid and Spain, Casillas said: "First, the European Cup in 2000. It was incredible because I went from playing in the fourth tier to the Primera Division and then we won the Champions League.

"Then there is the World Cup as well. Those trophies have a different taste to the others."

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola to blame for Robben injury - Helmer

pep-guardiola-fc-porto-fc-bayern-munchen-champions-league-15042015_1cqq8n9ugdkkn1i972c9nayl3e.jpg

Peter McVitie
Apr 30, 2015 18:54:12

The Germany international has hit out at the Bayern coach for extending a "disastrous" run of physical problems for the Allianz Arena club

Former Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund player Thomas Helmer believes Pep Guardiola played his part in the injury which has seen Arjen Robben's season ended prematurely.

The Dutch attacker made his first appearance after a month out with injury when he came on in the DFB-Pokal semi-final against Dortmund, only to be replaced less than 15 minutes later with a thigh injury. Bayern subsequently lost the match on penalties.

Robben has since been ruled out for the remainder of the season and Helmer believes Guardiola should never have brought him on so soon after his recovery, blaming the Spaniard for the injury and the defeat.

"Guardiola had his share of responsibility in the problems," he wrote in his column for TZ. "Bayern dominated the ball and their opponents, everything was under control, but suddenly BVB were courageous and had great opportunities.

"I was very surprised by Guardiola's substitutions. Why did he bring Arjen Robben on in such a tight game? I thought the risk after his long injury was too great.

"I didn't understand taking Thomas Müller off either. He is always good for a goal, even if he has not had a great game. I also don't know why Mario Gotze, who replaced Robben, did not play from the beginning. In previous matches, he was always in the starting XI. Why not give him confidence in a game with his former club? It surprises me."

Robert Lewandowski is a doubt for his side's Champions League semi-final first leg with Barcelona because of an injury he picked up on Tuesday, and Helmer feels that would be a "disaster" for the Bavarian side.

"Holger Badstuber's injury was the first disaster, Robben's season being over was the second. If Robert Lewandowski can't play against Barcelona, ​​it would be the third disaster.

"Since the injuries to Robben and Franck Ribery, he is the main man in their attack. This game will be decided on the defensive side of things, I think. And there Bayern still have enough quality."

Philipp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Iniesta: Nothing is impossible for Guardiola

iniesta_1othn87h4emnc1xe1u4bxotncr.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 1, 2015 11:55:30

The Spain international has nothing but respect for the Bayern coach, while he has voiced his delight with Thiago Alcantara's return to the pitch after an injury lay-off

Andres Iniesta has warned his Barcelona team-mates not to underestimate Bayern Munich in their Champions League semi-final tie irrespective of their injury worries as he has little doubt Pep Guardiola will come up with a solution for his side's problems.

The Bundesliga champions will be without the likes of Arjen Robben, Holger Badstuber and David Alaba in the first leg of their semi-final encounter next week, while Robert Lewandowski and Franck Ribery are doubtful, too.

Bayern recovered from a 3-1 first-leg defeat to Porto, winning 6-1 in Munich, and Iniesta feels that performance shows that Bayern remain a force to be reckoned with despite their injuries, adding that the form of the day will be decisive on Wednesday's encounter at Camp Nou.

"There is no such thing as a good result after the first leg against a team coached by Guardiola," Iniesta was quoted as saying by Sport.

"Guardiola has already shown that nothing is impossible for him.

"It might sound like a cliche, but the fact is that it is not really about the opponent in the semi-finals. It's all about the form of the day."

Wednesday's match will see both Guardiola and Thiago Alcantara return to Camp Nou and Iniesta is looking forward to meeting up with his former coach and colleague.

"Guardiola has played a huge role in Barcelona's history, both as a player and as a coach. He has marked an extremely successful era. People will never forget what he achieved here.

"Thiago's fine performances against Porto really pleased me. He has had so much bad luck in recent years. It is always difficult to get back to your best, but he is already showing his class again."

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Varane: Juventus will miss Pogba against Madrid

paul-pogba-juventus_19hirvs7yu0gy1bhz1oezsi13k.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 1, 2015 18:52:34

The defender acknowledged the absence of the midfielder - who is still out with a hamstring problem - is a boost for the Blancos' European hopes

Raphael Varane is thinks Juventus will sorely miss Paul Pogba when Real Madrid take them on in Tuesday's Champions League semi-final first leg.

Pogba will miss the clash in Turn as he continues his recovery from a hamstring problem, thus depriving the Bianconeri of one of their star players.

However, Varane still feels Juve still represent a formidable threat to Madrid's hopes of becoming the first side to successfully defend the Champions League trophy, arguing that the Italian titleholders are on the same level as Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

"Paul's obviously a great player and Juve will miss him," the defender is quoted as saying by AS. "But personally I would have liked to play against him."

"This is the highest level, a Champions League semi-final, and it will be very tough. But we'll be going all out to get to the final.

"I don't think Juve will be easier than Barca or Bayern. At this level, the little details are what make the difference."

Madrid are still in contention to do a double, with Carlo Ancelotti's men currently second in La Liga just two points behind leaders Barca with four games to go.

Varane remains confident the Blancos can finish top of the Primera Division pile but he knows that they must win all of their remaining fixtures.

"It's true we're in a good dynamic at the moment although we have to admit the game against Almería on Wednesday wasn't brilliant, above all in the first half," he said of the 3-0 win at the Santiago Bernabeu.

"We weren't able to generate more tempo in our play. But we did the important thing because we got a good result and we're keeping up the pressure on Barcelona.

"I think every game from here until the end of the season could be decisive. The league is so tight that there is no margin for error.

"We know that we have to stay 100 per cent focused on our football and that we have to play every game as though it's the last one.

"Winning is the only thing that's any good to us. We'll see where we stand at the end of the season."

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pogba ruled out of Real Madrid clash

paul-pogba-juventus_19hirvs7yu0gy1bhz1oezsi13k.jpg

By Enis Koylu
Apr 30, 2015 21:19:14

Juventus had been hopeful the star midfielder could be fit for the Champions League semi-final but he will not rejoin training until after the game

Juventus have confirmed Paul Pogba will miss Tuesday's Champions League semi-final first leg against Real Madrid.

The France international has been missing with a torn thigh since mid-March, missing the last-eight win against Monaco and several key Serie A games.

Coach Massimiliano Allegri had been optimistic that he could feature in Turin against Carlo Ancelotti's side but tests have been revealed that he will not have recovered in time.

"The MRI scan taken by Paul Pogba this afternoon revealed that the player has made further progress in his recovery from a torn thigh muscle," a club statement read.

"The player will undergo a personalised recovery regime before potentially returning with the group on Wednesday."

That would allow Pogba to feature in the second leg at the Santiago Bernabeu on May 13.